GTA and Guilt

Lets discuss!
21 replies to this topic
jums300
  • jums300

Snitch

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:30 AM

Was it just me, or did the dark, gritty feel of GTA IV give way to guilt while going on rampages?  It sounds weird, but I do feel a bit of remorse when either killing cops or peds.  GTA V looks a lot more colorful on so many levels.  Things will be different, I suppose, when I get my hands on GTA V.

Tripz
  • Tripz

Dusting Off

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:31 AM

I don't know... I tend to not care when I'm killing cops in a video game.

UsedFloppyDisk
  • UsedFloppyDisk

Proclus Global agent

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:32 AM

I don't because I know it is just a video game. 

yungkrease
  • yungkrease

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:32 AM

It just you

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:34 AM

Whatever you do, don't search "Sonic.exe" "Ben Drowned" "Pokemon Lost Silver" or even "Creepypasta". You will not be able to handle the many fictional deaths.

If you feel guilty, whatever. Don't run over people then. Problem solved.

littlepanda
  • littlepanda

LITTLE TSUNAMI PANDA

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:35 AM

now there are more gore possibilities, such as taking hostages while rob a car and drop them in the forest to be attacked by wild animals

DarkFalcon95
  • DarkFalcon95

Thug

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:36 AM

Whatever you do, don't search "Sonic.exe" "Ben Drowned" "Pokemon Lost Silver" or even "Creepypasta". You will not be able to handle the many fictional deaths.

My poor childhood.

Skylanator
  • Skylanator

War, war never changes..

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:41 AM

I'm weird. I'd run people over with a lawnmower if I could (I wish that would be possible with GTA, highly doubtful though :p) but when it comes to killing animals, I feel so guilty... Even in other games, especially bunnies, puppies (dogs), deer or cats of any kind.. The only game I can do that in is Minecraft, and then I still feel bad about killing dogs..

Kevin3014
  • Kevin3014

Los Santos!

• Members
  • India

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:42 AM

It just you

yes. :panic:

Gokurot1000
  • Gokurot1000

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:06 AM

Actually it's not just you. I remember reading an article for GTA IV that said Niko would show remorse anytime he killed someone.

LiGzz
  • LiGzz

#RealNiggaShyt.

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:09 AM Edited by LiGzz, 08 September 2013 - 04:10 AM.

The article was an interview wit rockstar in which they claimed peds were now so exceptionally intelligent that one might feel a deep sense of remorse or forethought before taking the life of a ped.. I never had that issue. After seeing peds tumble down like a fat 10 year old playing a choreographed dance game while doing simple things like walking down steps, I quickly came around to shooting them in the face with my oddly mishapen 9mm..

• Gokurot1000 likes this

QuietSundayLibrary
  • QuietSundayLibrary

Abide by God's Glory

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:21 AM

Was it just me, or did the dark, gritty feel of GTA IV give way to guilt while going on rampages?  It sounds weird, but I do feel a bit of remorse when either killing cops or peds.  GTA V looks a lot more colorful on so many levels.  Things will be different, I suppose, when I get my hands on GTA V.

I was on the verge of tears during an inner-city rampage at one point during my first playthrough; it was an emotionally taxing experience.

• NikoPlease likes this

polycount
  • polycount

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:27 AM

People may joke about it, but I actually agree with you. To me, gta 4 was one of the best games I ever played. I didn't play the old games till after gta 4. The dark, gritty, realistic atmosphere really hit home with me. I loved it. I almost wish it was making a return (the atmosphere, not the map or game) but I know gta 5 will be better in all other aspects- perhaps even this one, won't know till I've played it. I suppose we'll see.

TheWarzoneXL
  • TheWarzoneXL

Banging Michael's Housekeeper

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:29 AM

Sometimes I ask myself moral questions when I'm playing violent videogames. But them I realize that I'm playing a f*cking videogame.

RisingLegend
  • RisingLegend

Your Neighborhood Wigger

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:31 AM

I only showed remorse to those people that I hit head on and ended up killing. Thus they'd rest their head on their car horn.

NikoPlease
  • NikoPlease

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:17 AM

I only showed remorse to those people that I hit head on and ended up killing. Thus they'd rest their head on their car horn.

Yup. Running from the police at 160mph and hitting a minivan straight on. A woman, possibly a mother going to the store to buy medicine for her sick child or returning home after an affair with her younger lover comes flying through the windshield. Gone too soon. Gone too soon...

Ruzko
  • Ruzko

I got chilly balls...

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:19 AM

I actually do...
but only if I overkill haha 

ILOVELOUDPACKS
  • ILOVELOUDPACKS

I'm your pusher

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:23 AM

i always had fun shooting peds while they were driving and watching there dead bodys hit the gas and go flying down the road.

Bobbyleez
  • Bobbyleez

MARK NUTT!!

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:30 AM Edited by Bobbyleez, 08 September 2013 - 05:31 AM.

:^: :cookie:
Been drowned was epic!

semie
  • semie

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:31 AM

Is that not the amazing thing with the GTA series, it challenges the norms even in the digital realm.

Is it ok to kill another player, NPC or not? Once a relationship is formed these decisions creat a level of internal conflict in some people. Thats the sign of a great product right there.

Style of game play comes into it as well. I have times when I go free for all and smash everything in sight in IV, but if I am playing the game/story I tend to play with more of a role play mentality therefore I find myself needing to make decisions, not just taking a one size fits all approach. The more decisions I make the more I am invested in the outcomes. That is how I play anyway.

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:49 AM

My poor childhood.

Damn you reverse psychology! Damn you to hell!

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

Resident Actor, Dancer, and Singer

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:06 AM

Not really. GTA IV may have had a very dark and gritty atmosphere, with more bitterly sarcastic humor than outright parody, but it still felt a bit lifeless when it came to morality. Niko's musings on his lack of morality and having a choice of who to kill rang a bit hollow when you casually ran down an entire crowd on the sidewalk during a car chase with Niko doing nothing but cursing in Serbian, or all of the missions where you DIDN'T get a choice of whether or not to kill the victim (why do you only get a choice in this one, but all of the others require you to make a kill no matter what?)

It felt like they attempted to display morality, but it was too superficial and shallow to make an impact. Pedestrians making funny quips as you sped your car through a crowd in Middle Park didn't help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users