Was LCS as good as other GTAs?

87 replies to this topic
Carbonox
  • Carbonox

Too weird to live but much too rare to die

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

I think it did great considering it was originally supposed to be a PSP exclusive.

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The X

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:51 PM Edited by Mr_Leone, 15 January 2014 - 09:52 PM.

LCS had a fantastic story that fit well. It was a very nice backstory of a supporting character who was a high ranking member of the Leone Family in GTA 3. I just felt it did a better job compared to VCS when it came to story. VCS also had more glitches, or at least more game breaking ones. It's my favorite GTA with my nostalgia glasses on. I loved both LCS and IV the most out of all of them.

• TheOtherRyan and Zeberpal like this

CorporalBean675
  • CorporalBean675

Icaras

• Members

Posted 16 January 2014 - 07:42 AM

LCS had a fantastic story that fit well. It was a very nice backstory of a supporting character who was a high ranking member of the Leone Family in GTA 3. I just felt it did a better job compared to VCS when it came to story. VCS also had more glitches, or at least more game breaking ones. It's my favorite GTA with my nostalgia glasses on. I loved both LCS and IV the most out of all of them.

This guy summed up all my thoughts and feelings about the GTA Universe. 

Jeansowaty
  • Jeansowaty

Have no fear, Olek is here! Mwahahaha...

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:16 PM

I must admit, LCS is not a very good GTA. I just hate working for those Leone fa**ots...

JeffreyDahmer
  • JeffreyDahmer

Dan Houser Is God

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:42 AM

i think its the best game from the Third Era tbh i liked the Storyline more than any other game from the 3rd era  and to me   Lcs has always been Gta III With a better Story  More Content and Improved gameplay.  what is not to love?

Cl4ud35p33d
  • Cl4ud35p33d

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:49 AM

I had some fun playing LCS but it wasn't quite as good as the other ones in the series. Still had an awesome opening theme song, though.

TheMuteGuy
  • TheMuteGuy

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:21 AM

I liked it, that "Mafia" feeling the history and game has is awesome! But comparing it to another games in 3D Era, LCS stay a little back from the others.

The Byzantine Empire
  • The Byzantine Empire

Wolqolqoqoqk

• Members
  • Bangladesh

Posted 29 April 2014 - 10:16 PM Edited by Khan96, 30 July 2014 - 09:32 PM.

I love this game, it is my first GTA. The Italian Mafia story was amazing for me, atmosphere, characters and cars are emotional and deep, the gameplay is classic 3D GTA not more not less, only pure fun.

Also it has an amazing theme which name is Dark March
  • WildBrick142 likes this

Spadge
  • Spadge

Low Rider

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 30 April 2014 - 11:15 PM Edited by Spadge007, 30 April 2014 - 11:16 PM.

I played it again on a PC emulator, and I really enjoyed it. I bought the game, but I didn't bought the PSP, just to "support' Rockstar and get the guide etc.

It compenses the fact that you had to sneak on the leones in GTA III

Perez84
  • Perez84

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Spain

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:01 PM Edited by Perez84, 01 May 2014 - 01:06 PM.

Ambrose-Nope.gif

The worst protag (a man who became a fat piece of sh*t and never stopped being a Salvatore's underdog), the gritty environment, and being released next to SA. This game was doomed from the beginning.

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

• BUSTED!
  • European-Union

Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

For a PS2 and PSP game, GTA LCS was great. There was a great storyline with some impressive characters. There were a lot of side missions, vehicles and map models that made the game more interesting.

KBG
  • KBG

8-bit.

• Members
  • India

Posted 04 May 2014 - 05:28 PM

Atleast LCS had the bloom effect and better graphics than III's rendition of Liberty City. :)

huangglee
  • huangglee

Triad

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 18 May 2014 - 09:39 PM

lcs is the only gta i have and i think it is very fun

Misunderstood
  • Misunderstood

Keep up, motherf*cker!

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:03 PM

I always thought LCS was an average game. Story in my opinion was f*cking terrible and the antagonists was even worse. I enjoyed VCS more than this. The story just never stayed with me and I never cared what was going on. The gameplay (on vcs and lcs psp) was terrible most of the time due to the clunky PSP controls. I didn't like Toni, Liberty City or anything else in the story. This game is one of the worst GTA games created IMO.

• Jeansowaty likes this

--Vega--
  • --Vega--

Serpent Ruled

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:48 PM

Well I can tell you if you didn't have nostalgia for III, and you played both LCS and III unbiased, you would no doubt say LCS>III.

III is the worst, but don't slip, I still love it in its own way (mostly nostalgic reasons). But I am level headed enough to know which game is seriously lacking, which III was in almost every department.

• Username.gta likes this

alanpetrej27486
  • alanpetrej27486

Player Hater

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:28 AM

of course

TommyBellic13
  • TommyBellic13

Player Hater

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:20 PM Edited by TommyBellic13, 30 July 2014 - 04:21 PM.

Gta lcs > gta 3
Gta vcs < gta vc
  • Zeberpal likes this

Tesla Trooper
  • Tesla Trooper

Player Hater

• Awaiting Authorization
  • None

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:51 PM

The story wise, it is. But gameplay NOT.

jazzbone
  • jazzbone

Thug

• Members

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:54 PM Edited by jazzbone, 07 September 2014 - 09:55 PM.

LCS suffers critically more from poor graphics than the story,characters,or game play. Had the ps2 port of LCS featured the graphics of gta sa i think more gamers would rate the game higher.

Overall i enjoyed LCS and prefer it over gta 3 except for the graphics. Compared to gta 3 LCS has superior weapons and aiming,has motorcycles,ferry rides,drive on water cheat,fun replayable side activities,character outfit options,enterable safe houses,and a much superior camera/character movement.

So for me LCS is listed ahead of gta 3,vice city,and vcs. Ahead of vice city only because of the use of the superior camera/character movement.

Ray
  • Ray

I don't practice Santeria, I ain't got no crystal ball

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:42 AM Edited by Ray, 22 July 2015 - 04:43 AM.

I'd say it's at the lower end of the spectrum for GTA games. While the gameplay and mission variety was pretty solid, and Toni was a very good protagonist, I felt the story was weak and underwhelming. For a game supposedly centered around the Leones, you don't get to interact with a lot of Leones. Really only Salvatore, Vincenzo, and Mickey. It's a huge disappointment that Joey and Lugi don't make an appearance.

Also, I found the antagonist to be the worst of the series. I don't get why VCS's story gets so much criticism. In my optnion, Jerry Martinez and the Mendez brothers were a hell of a lot better than Massimo Torini, who only appears twice and never directly speaks to Toni. There's really no motivation to kill him, since he never does anything personal to you, which is why I think he's such a terrible and poorly written antagonist.

Now don't get me wrong, I like LCS and I enjoyed playing it and have some good memories from it, but I think VCS is a superior game, especially in the story and antagonist department.
  • Jeansowaty, henriquedematos, Misunderstood and 1 other like this

henriquedematos
  • henriquedematos

Proud member of the SA Pfister Owners Club™

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:30 AM Edited by henriquedematos, 22 July 2015 - 05:51 AM.

Probably my least favorite game from the 3D era (discounting GTA Advance, given the evident limitations that make it incomparable to others). After all San Andreas gave us, Liberty City Stories felt like a huge step backwards, even for a PSP game. Vice City Stories actually felt like an improvement over the classic Vice City in almost every way, LCS was a rehash with some new features at best.

With that said, it's still a great game, played the hell out of it on PSP and, if Rockstar releases a 10 year anniversary edition for PS Store or mobiles, I will most likely get it again.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Dealux (ΣΓ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:06 AM

I think it's better than III in most ways. It's a longer game at least with more mission variety but I would rate III pretty close to LCS since it's a game I'm very fond of and familiar with.

The only thing I dislike about this game is the bad frame rate (it drops below 20 FPS all the time on the PS2) which is kinda surprising for a console port. The side missions are a bit too frustrating (it's the hardest GTA game I played so far) but it only makes it more satisfying to complete them in the end.

PhillBellic
  • PhillBellic

Phill Bellic. The Universal L.E.O.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:43 AM

I enjoyed playing it. I did like the introduction of the Ferry Service in this Game.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:17 AM

It's a good solid GTA game it doesn't really stand out but what it has it does it well. I liked that it was set in the 90's They could have done more mafia related stuff to do though like running rackets and stuff.

Spadge
  • Spadge

Low Rider

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:19 PM

Some people consider it to be different, because it plays on portable consoles, but get a PC emulator, play it on a big PC screen and you won't notice the difference.

MetalMilitia89
  • MetalMilitia89

GTA Series Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • The collector [Amazing work on the Special Vehicle Guide!]

Posted 03 August 2015 - 05:37 PM

Or PS2/3...

catfromnesbox
  • catfromnesbox

Mark Chump

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:07 AM

it will be the best gta game if R* didnt removed helicopters and other stuff, so this game is boring right after you beat game, the only reason i playing it is because it had best weapon pack

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 15 November 2015 - 12:37 PM

Despite being a huge fan of the mafia genre LCS never done it for me. I appreciate that it was an achievement for a handheld, but overall I think VCS was the better of the two stories games.
  • Vice City criminal likes this

MetalMilitia89
  • MetalMilitia89

GTA Series Special Vehicle Collector

• Feroci
  • United-States
  • The collector [Amazing work on the Special Vehicle Guide!]

Posted 15 November 2015 - 02:38 PM Edited by Militia, 15 November 2015 - 02:40 PM.

VCS indeed was the better of the 2, but I still rather play LCS.  Yes, LCS is better for Special Vehicles than VCS, but it's not even that.  I just like the simplicity of LCS over VCS.  In VCS, there is a lot of extra nonsense, especially added to the PS2 Version that I don't like.  Perhaps if I was playing the PSP Version, I'd like it more, but on PS2, there is just too many Side Missions and tasks compared to LCS.  LCS goes quicker and feels like III and VC to me.  Whereas VCS feels more like SA with so much content and time it takes me to reach 100%.  SA still is the king of the Series for Special Vehicles and content of what you can do in the sandbox, but VCS is a close second.  In regards to content, VCS is better than LCS, but I just like the simplicity of LCS.  I've done it so many times now that I barely have to save.  I just do like 10 Missions in a row now without saving and pass them all first try.  I can practically do it in my sleep now.  In VCS, though, there is a lot of Missions where things can go wrong that are OUT OF YOUR CONTROL and I don't like that...

it will be the best gta game if R* didnt removed helicopters and other stuff, so this game is boring right after you beat game, the only reason i playing it is because it had best weapon pack

Well, you can obtain a Maverick in False Idols.  I have it in my Save for PS2.  It's awesome that you can fly it around.  An interesting fact, though.  When you enter the Maverick, there is NO name displayed.  It has no name, but looks like any other "Maverick" from VC, SA, and VCS.  It's easy to get, too.  I don't like the height limit, though.  In LCS when you fly the Maverick you can't fly very high and a lot of the building roofs aren't solid, either.  However, the Maverick flies ultra fast.  Much faster than any GTA thus far with Helicopters.

• TheOtherRyan and CartmanKusanagi like this

Nico
  • Nico

Someone is watching you

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 15 November 2015 - 02:47 PM Edited by Nico, 15 November 2015 - 02:49 PM.

^I wonder how 90% of that post is related to the topic...

It's been a very long time since I played LCS, but I remember it as a decent game. The problem is, both previous and next GTA games were released with one year of difference and they had a lot of extra features, making it feel kinda empty and outdated. The story didn't helped at all.

• Jinx. likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users