Did IGN confirm land north of Chilliad?

Q and A video
98 replies to this topic
JamDen89
  • JamDen89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:11 PM

See the fog on either side of the base, they look really fake and as though they've been added post shot.

Not really. All I am seeing is the limitations of the draw distance. The draw distance isn't infinite. You are rather high up with that plane and there is really nothing to draw beyond Chiliad either.

I only see what you could call fog on the western flank of Chiliad but everything in the distance is simply less detailed. There is really nothing beyond that particular cliff in the west anyway.

Anyway, we will see if something is out there or not. I am just going to assume that the journalist was confused because otherwise he would have said more when mentioning the pop in. With no evidence of something beyond I much rather believe there is nothing out there until we actually have true visual evidence or a journalist who knows what they he is talking about without a doubt. The fanmade maps are so close solely because visuals were used to prove something instead of guesses or hopes and dreams. Maybe there is something more out there but I am not a believer without substantial evidence.

I'm just up for discussion, not getting my hopes up because I'm more than happy with what we have already. On the draw distance issue though, in the interview with buzzfeed, may have got that wrong, The Benz stated that there is no draw distance and that you can see from one side of the map to the other. If that is the case i highly doubt draw distance issues would be coming into effect from less than half a map away.

BenniMBXD
  • BenniMBXD

the guy

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

We have already seen the map outline. There is nothing behind chiliad.

map_outline.jpg

Its just an achievement map. North Yankton may or may not be part of blaine county. Please don't get me wrong. I am more certain than not that this the only island. I am just playing devil's advocate. It's good to have speculation running until we see an official map with everything of course. 

Same here, the whole point of a forum is discussion. Plus as you said it is only an achievement map, it doesn't really prove anything. We all know what R* are like, I wouldn't say it was out of the realms of possibility that that isn't the in game map and could be a homage to the forums. 

The achievement clearly states. Explore los santos and blaine county. It actually proves that there is NO OTHER ISLAND!

Giasado
  • Giasado

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

map_outline.jpg

Its just an achievement map. North Yankton may or may not be part of blaine county. Please don't get me wrong. I am more certain than not that this the only island. I am just playing devil's advocate. It's good to have speculation running until we see an official map. 

Dude, there is NO SIGNS AT ALL that there will be another island.It has been confirmed by rockstar and plenty of magazines.The map is los santos and blaine county.North yankton is probably in the game, but it is somewhere in blaine county.

Thats the fun part. Just because there are no "signs" doesn't mean we can't have fun with it. Seriously, I'd rather there be seasons and more dynamic weather to explain north yankton, which it probably is.

I really don't have a damn clue where north yankton is, but it is surely not on another island

Trust me I am basically agreeing with you. But we wont be entirely sure where it is or if it even exists until the map is shown.

BenniMBXD
  • BenniMBXD

the guy

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

map_outline.jpg

Its just an achievement map. North Yankton may or may not be part of blaine county. Please don't get me wrong. I am more certain than not that this the only island. I am just playing devil's advocate. It's good to have speculation running until we see an official map. 

Dude, there is NO SIGNS AT ALL that there will be another island.It has been confirmed by rockstar and plenty of magazines.The map is los santos and blaine county.North yankton is probably in the game, but it is somewhere in blaine county.

Thats the fun part. Just because there are no "signs" doesn't mean we can't have fun with it. Seriously, I'd rather there be seasons and more dynamic weather to explain north yankton, which it probably is.

I really don't have a damn clue where north yankton is, but it is surely not on another island

Trust me I am basically agreeing with you. But we wont be entirely sure where it is or if it even exists until the map is shown.

Well we will see the map until wednesday :) the day when retailers get the game

JamDen89
  • JamDen89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:17 PM

map_outline.jpg

Lets be honest here, we aren't saying there is, we are discussing the possibility of it. I'm pretty sure R* hasn't confirmed there is one island, they just haven't mentioned others so till release we can't rule out the possibility. Same with magazines or other media outlets. I just don't see why people can't discuss things with an open mind.

BenniMBXD
  • BenniMBXD

the guy

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

map_outline.jpg

Lets be honest here, we aren't saying there is, we are discussing the possibility of it. I'm pretty sure R* hasn't confirmed there is one island, they just haven't mentioned others so till release we can't rule out the possibility. Same with magazines or other media outlets. I just don't see why people can't discuss things with an open mind.

they have confirmed plenty of times that the map is one island. And there is only los santos and blaine county.But what do you know? you joined 3 hours ago.

Kemo66
  • Kemo66

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

The texture pop in maybe more noticeable on the 360 version as it was demo'd on xbox. This may be virtually eliminated on ps3 as it is marginally more powerful and rockstar might have took advantage of this. I hope so because texture pop in breaks fluidity of a game for me.

for me, screen tearing - LA Noir on the PS3 was beyond bad for that for me. I can deal with pop in, especially on distant features (far off mountains) etc, but if it's rife with screen tear, i'm done.

JamDen89
  • JamDen89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

map_outline.jpg

they have confirmed plenty of times that the map is one island. And there is only los santos and blaine county.But what do you know? you joined 3 hours ago.

Ah nice, yea I joined 3 hours ago but I've been following the forum for two years so I do actually know quite a bit but you just get back to being petty. I am not saying there is another island just that what IGN said is noteworthy. Also if you are going to say something is confirmed at least provide a source for people who may not be the oracle of GTA.

Frantz Fuchs
  • Frantz Fuchs

640509-040147

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

Paleto, no?

BenniMBXD
  • BenniMBXD

the guy

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

map_outline.jpg

Ah nice, yea I joined 3 hours ago but I've been following the forum for two years so I do actually know quite a bit but you just get back to being petty. I am not saying there is another island just that what IGN said is noteworthy. Also if you are going to say something is confirmed at least provide a source for people who may not be the oracle of GTA.

Well, cog and game informer confirmed that there is one island. And in the first official post on the rockstar newswire stated that there will be los santos and blaine county.

smokey__
  • smokey__

High Hopes

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

The texture pop in maybe more noticeable on the 360 version as it was demo'd on xbox. This may be virtually eliminated on ps3 as it is marginally more powerful and rockstar might have took advantage of this. I hope so because texture pop in breaks fluidity of a game for me.

el oh el

Unlike the PS3, the Xbox 360 can fully install the game to the hard drive from disc. Meaning load times will be faster and game content streaming much more smooth.

So, I hope you bought the game on your  PSN store so you can at least download the game and install it to your drive. Otherwise... yeah.

I doubt it will be "much more smooth" since the disc will be most likely for just audio and stuff.

well that isn't quite true, the ps3 will be loading from both the disk and the harddrive to ram at the same time at max speeds of both. PS3 will actually be faster as Xbox will have to stream both through same disk controller and share the maximum bandwidth.

cwizzle12
  • cwizzle12

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

Just remember Rockstar also said there was no character customization or property at one point.....

My point is that you never know what's in the game until they tell/show you, or until you play it for yourself

JamDen89
  • JamDen89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

map_outline.jpg

Well, cog and game informer confirmed that there is one island. And in the first official post on the rockstar newswire stated that there will be los santos and blaine county.

When I said source I meant a link, you could keep listing game websites, doesn't prove anything. I use them for info all the time and I am pretty sure they have never said that categorically, no, there is not another island.  Again I'm not saying there is but a county or area such as Blaine can be split up over islands so that doesn't confirm anything either.

Fail_At_GTA
  • Fail_At_GTA

Actually awesome at GTA

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

The map outline from the achievement list doesn't show islands.  We know there's islands around the edges of the map, like a bit south west of Paleto there's a tiny island, but its larger than the others.

Anyway, I wouldn't consider IGN a trustworthy source anymore.  A lot of things they say are either very repetitive or utter BS to get more attention.  Don't waste your time with them.

hachiroku
  • hachiroku

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

They said "mountains and mountains". There is "mountains and mountains" between LS and Chilliad.

Nigerian Keith
  • Nigerian Keith

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

My mate said you can download other cities in the near future.

Daviedv
  • Daviedv

Xbox-Daviedv

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:43 PM Edited by Daviedv, 07 September 2013 - 07:44 PM.

map_outline.jpg

Its just an achievement map. North Yankton may or may not be part of blaine county. Please don't get me wrong. I am more certain than not that this the only island. I am just playing devil's advocate. It's good to have speculation running until we see an official map with everything of course.
Same here, the whole point of a forum is discussion. Plus as you said it is only an achievement map, it doesn't really prove anything. We all know what R* are like, I wouldn't say it was out of the realms of possibility that that isn't the in game map and could be a homage to the forums.
The achievement clearly states. Explore los santos and blaine county. It actually proves that there is NO OTHER ISLAND!
The achievement does state that, so to unlock it, you must explore Los santos and Blaine country.. However it does not prove there is no island, only that you need not explore it to get said achievement..

I'm not saying there is another island, but you can't dismiss it based on that.

Your "mate" keeps saying these things doesn't he?

JamDen89
  • JamDen89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:43 PM

The map outline from the achievement list doesn't show islands.  We know there's islands around the edges of the map, like a bit south west of Paleto there's a tiny island, but its larger than the others.

Anyway, I wouldn't consider IGN a trustworthy source anymore.  A lot of things they say are either very repetitive or utter BS to get more attention.  Don't waste your time with them.

Yea I agree but also other websites do the same, they are companies after all but like I said earlier I don't think it confirms anything just that it was worthy for discussion.

JamDen89
  • JamDen89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

map_outline.jpg

The achievement does state that, so to unlock it, you must explore Los santos and Blaine country.. However it does not prove there is no island, only that you need not explore it to get said achievement..

I'm not saying there is another island, but you can't dismiss it based on that.

Exactly.

JamDen89
  • JamDen89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:47 PM

Yep but he was most likely talking about GTA Online in which one of the producers stated that new cities could be added later as DLC.

http://www.computera...-on-gta-online/

BenniMBXD
  • BenniMBXD

the guy

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

If there is another island in the game, i will give each one of you 1 thousand dollars.MARK MY WORDS. Im not kidding

JamDen89
  • JamDen89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:52 PM Edited by JamDen89, 07 September 2013 - 07:55 PM.

If there is another island in the game, i will give each one of you 10 thousand dollars.MARK MY WORDS. Im not kidding

Okay then, I'll take that bet considering I'm not arguing with you so I've got nothing to lose. I don't believe there will be another island, never said that, just thought what IGN said was interesting and that there is nothing to prove otherwise till the game releases.

In all seriousness though I'm not gonna take a bet off someone online, it's not important whether there is an island or not.

• BenniMBXD likes this

Darth Mike
  • Darth Mike

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:57 PM Edited by Darth Mike, 07 September 2013 - 08:57 PM.

Do you remember the artwork with two islands? Maybe that artwork did say more than most of people thought.

I'm afraid not. Do you have a Picture?

This artwork show two different islands. The common opinion was "it's just an artwork", because artwork may show something that doesn't reflect the real game (it's a correct assumption, by the way). But considering what the guys of IGN said, perhaps it says more than most of people thought.

gfgfbg.jpg

Darth Mike
  • Darth Mike

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

That achievement it's just an image that show everything and nothing.

The achievement map shows the boundaries of Los Santos and Blaine County, but it doesn't mean s is the whole map and even an island.

The achievement list itself can also be updated.

Skylanator
  • Skylanator

War, war never changes..

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:07 PM

IGN are being prats lately. I wouldn't listen to a word spouting from their little boy mouths.

I'd rather get the game and see what it's like and be in for more surprises than let downs, as IGN are probably going to claim that you get killer whales and UFOs, then you'll be upset when they don't :3.

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:22 PM Edited by gwaha, 07 September 2013 - 09:28 PM.

The achievement map shows the boundaries of Los Santos and Blaine County, but it doesn't mean s is the whole map and even an island.

I can understand that some people want to keep believing in other islands even if there is no evidence for other true islands. However, I can't understand anyone can claim Los Santos plus Blaine County could possibly not be an island. We have seen water pretty much all around the map. The only place we haven't seen is a really tiny area in the northeast and west of Mount Josiah. There is no way the whole area is somehow attached to another area through a really small land bridge. I can't see any sane artist create a map in such a way. Even artists who design maps will design in such a way the map looks like it makes sense. A small land bridge would just make it look like this "non-island" is hanging by a thread.

Of course, the achievement list can be updated. Anything can be updated but that doesn't mean it will be updated with another island.

Edit:

The Benz may have stated there is no draw distance but even in real life only so can be seen. The draw distance is either determined by the curvature of the planet, by your own eyes, by the limitations of the lenses used to look into space, etc. Everything has a limitation.

In one of the latest screenshots we have already seen the draw distance making things look rather low quality. It was the village on the northern shore of the Alamo Sea, looking west. It was pretty much only one color and I can easily see that popping in and out which pretty much affects the draw distance.

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

There are smaller (but still generally large) mountains east of Chiliad. Depending on what angle they were approaching, these may be what they were talking about, however they are not located far away from Chiliad at all so IDK. We know there to be no land north of Chiliad due to the map outline on the achievement list.

Darth Mike
  • Darth Mike

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:44 PM Edited by Darth Mike, 07 September 2013 - 09:45 PM.

I can understand that some people want to keep believing in other islands even if there is no evidence for other true islands. However, I can't understand anyone can claim Los Santos plus Blaine County could possibly not be an island. We have seen water pretty much all around the map. The only place we haven't seen is a really tiny area in the northeast and west of Mount Josiah. There is no way the whole area is somehow attached to another area through a really small land bridge. I can't see any sane artist create a map in such a way. Even artists who design maps will design in such a way the map looks like it makes sense. A small land bridge would just make it look like this "non-island" is hanging by a thread.

Of course, the achievement list can be updated. Anything can be updated but that doesn't mean it will be updated with another island.

Edit:

The Benz may have stated there is no draw distance but even in real life only so can be seen. The draw distance is either determined by the curvature of the planet, by your own eyes, by the limitations of the lenses used to look into space, etc. Everything has a limitation.

In one of the latest screenshots we have already seen the draw distance making things look rather low quality. It was the village on the northern shore of the Alamo Sea, looking west. It was pretty much only one color and I can easily see that popping in and out which pretty much affects the draw distance.

I'm not saying that is not an island, but it's wrong thinking that it is for the achievement shape.

Anyway, without the final game, it's impossible saying with absolute certainty whether it's an island or not.

There is also to think of

Spoiler

Kaster
  • Kaster

Chant Hare Krishna and be Happy!

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:50 PM

Do you remember the artwork with two islands? Maybe that artwork did say more than most of people thought.

I'm afraid not. Do you have a Picture?

This artwork show two different islands. The common opinion was "it's just an artwork", because artwork may show something that doesn't reflect the real game (it's a correct assumption, by the way). But considering what the guys of IGN said, perhaps it says more than most of people thought.

gfgfbg.jpg

Sharks burger eaters confirmed!

adam1blade
  • adam1blade

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

How many days before release was it before we saw the full map of GTA IV?? Could we follow the same path?? Im sure it was just under a week iirc?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users