Did IGN confirm land north of Chilliad?

Q and A video
98 replies to this topic
JamDen89
  • JamDen89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:36 PM

Hi all, just been watching the Q&A video and right near the start at the 1:25 mark. They are talking about pop-up, which tbh is to be expected in a game like this but in the video they talk state that they were looking over the Alamo Sea at Chiliad and there were mountains that popped up 'beyond Mount Chilliad and a long long way away,' now I wouldn't say this confirms anything but I did think it was rather noteworthy. What do you guys think after listening to the video?

hachiroku
  • hachiroku

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:37 PM

I prefer to IGNore them.

• gevans81, Mr. Rocko, pernaboy and 11 others like this

Distrom
  • Distrom

Sodom

• Members
  • Venezuela

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

It may be North Yankton, anyone who listened to the leaks, may understand what I'm talking about.
  • Backfire6 likes this

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:50 PM

If the guy thought it was beyond the known map I think would have said more. You can't really look beyond Mount Chiliad when looking at it over the Alamo Sea unless you are in a plane. Anything beyond the northern edge of the map would have been noticeable in the screenshot and screencaptures we have seen of the north and nothing else shows up, unless you believe in pixel distortion representing mountains (even if the same pixels don't show in the next frame of the same exact scene).

arran94
  • arran94

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:54 PM Edited by arran94, 07 September 2013 - 04:57 PM.

The texture pop in maybe more noticeable on the 360 version as it was demo'd on xbox. This may be virtually eliminated on ps3 as it is marginally more powerful and rockstar might have took advantage of this. I hope so because texture pop in breaks fluidity of a game for me.

lX BRADDERS Xl
  • lX BRADDERS Xl

King Kendrick

• Members
  • England

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

What are pop-ins if you don't mind me asking

Flashify
  • Flashify

IV IS STILL KING

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

I prefer to IGNore them.

That's a good one. :lol:

respek_small.jpg

• Crimewave likes this

MattInman
  • MattInman

KCCO

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

I stopped watching after 2 minutes. The one guy needs to comb his hair.

• eee333 likes this

arran94
  • arran94

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

Basically just when you get to a certain area you might not be able to see some buildings straight away till they load, this is just a example. There was pop in on GTA IV.

• lX BRADDERS Xl likes this

adam1blade
  • adam1blade

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:00 PM

They may have confused Chiliad with Josiah??

lX BRADDERS Xl
  • lX BRADDERS Xl

King Kendrick

• Members
  • England

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:02 PM Edited by lX BRADDERS Xl, 07 September 2013 - 05:02 PM.

Basically just when you get to a certain area you might not be able to see some buildings straight away till they load, this is just a example. There was pop in on GTA IV.

Oh OK, I understand it now, I saw that on IV all the while lol

Cheers for response

Giasado
  • Giasado

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:09 PM

It wouldn't matter because there should be no land to the north of Josiah or Chiliad. The thing is though, we have never accounted for pop in, and while I am not pressing for multiple islands. We've never really seen the ocean clearly looking out northwest, north, OR northeast for that matter. I for one am a big fan of seasons and would rather have that then another island. The fact that there are DRY RIVERBEDS on the sides of mountains (check the mapping thread) is making me think that there really is some awesome dynamic weather that we havent seen yet.

I don't know though, I hope that whatever this "mystery" is, it'll surprise us greatly.

• Symbiote Venom likes this

JamDen89
  • JamDen89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

The texture pop in maybe more noticeable on the 360 version as it was demo'd on xbox. This may be virtually eliminated on ps3 as it is marginally more powerful and rockstar might have took advantage of this. I hope so because texture pop in breaks fluidity of a game for me.

Please don't turn this into a console war, I merely mentioned the pop-in as a reference point, in reality though I really don't care because this to be expected.

JamDen89
  • JamDen89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

If the guy thought it was beyond the known map I think would have said more. You can't really look beyond Mount Chiliad when looking at it over the Alamo Sea unless you are in a plane. Anything beyond the northern edge of the map would have been noticeable in the screenshot and screencaptures we have seen of the north and nothing else shows up, unless you believe in pixel distortion representing mountains (even if the same pixels don't show in the next frame of the same exact scene).

Good points but I can't recall a screenshot ever looking directly north of Chilliad. I know there are the ones of the bi-plane but Chilliad is at the centre of the screen so obscures north, and the base of Chilliad on either side is suspiciously cloudy considering they said there is no draw distance. Also the screens atop Chilliad always either look down the mountain or look south so we never get a clear view of the northern shoreline and north from there, also falling back on R* saying tht they are keeping loads back. Of course this all conjecture and I wouldn't mind seeing a view of the north if you can show me :) 

• Giasado likes this

73duster
  • 73duster

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

It might just be wishful thinking on my part, but I believe there WILL be a chunk of land north of the map we've generally considered as being in the game. North Yankton makes sense to me because it's very difficult to figure out where it would fit into the generally agreed upon map.

This may be one of the big surprises being held back by Rockstar.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

Assuming I got my mountains right, Paleto Bay is located behind Mt. Chilliad.

Thejamman123
  • Thejamman123

LEAVE ROCKSTAR ALONE!!

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

LOL IGN is such a let down.. they build people up for a Q&A that involves them blabbing about THEM being the one thats played it

JamDen89
  • JamDen89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:20 PM

It wouldn't matter because there should be no land to the north of Josiah or Chiliad. The thing is though, we have never accounted for pop in, and while I am not pressing for multiple islands. We've never really seen the ocean clearly looking out northwest, north, OR northeast for that matter. I for one am a big fan of seasons and would rather have that then another island. The fact that there are DRY RIVERBEDS on the sides of mountains (check the mapping thread) is making me think that there really is some awesome dynamic weather that we havent seen yet.

I don't know though, I hope that whatever this "mystery" is, it'll surprise us greatly.

I'm thinking along the same lines, I'm not saying that there is more land but merely that what he said is intriguing to say the least, the way he casually says it and doesn't discuss it makes it more it interesting in my eyes because it could have been a slip up.

Giasado
  • Giasado

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

Assuming I got my mountains right, Paleto Bay is located behind Mt. Chilliad.

Exactly, but they describe as something more loading past that stretch of "bay" and the town itself. 

Darth Mike
  • Darth Mike

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:33 PM Edited by Darth Mike, 07 September 2013 - 05:34 PM.

Do you remember the artwork with two islands? Maybe that artwork did say more than most of people thought.

ryanswannell
  • ryanswannell

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:35 PM

Do you remember the artwork with two islands? Maybe that artwork did say more than most of people thought.

I'm afraid not. Do you have a Picture?

Omnifarious
  • Omnifarious

R.I.P. in peace Aesthetic, you beautifully beta bastard you.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

No, do you have a link to said artwork?

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

el oh el

Unlike the PS3, the Xbox 360 can fully install the game to the hard drive from disc. Meaning load times will be faster and game content streaming much more smooth.

So, I hope you bought the game on your  PSN store so you can at least download the game and install it to your drive. Otherwise... yeah.

Galaxyass
  • Galaxyass

West Coast Rock Steady

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

el oh el

Unlike the PS3, the Xbox 360 can fully install the game to the hard drive from disc. Meaning load times will be faster and game content streaming much more smooth.

So, I hope you bought the game on your  PSN store so you can at least download the game and install it to your drive. Otherwise... yeah.

I doubt it will be "much more smooth" since the disc will be most likely for just audio and stuff.

KidAmnesiac42
  • KidAmnesiac42

Chin up, Cheer up. Chin up.

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:01 PM

I stopped watching after 2 minutes. The one guy needs to comb his hair.

This really made me laugh for some reason.

JamDen89
  • JamDen89

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:04 PM

Aye mate could you provide a link because I'm also interested to see that? Cheers.

datboishad
  • datboishad

realisitic boob physics!!!

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

interesting :monocle:

Cilogy
  • Cilogy

SILL•uh•jee

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

I prefer to IGNore them.

tumblr_m6gj6eGPcq1qe6y6y.gif

• RisingLegend and ColatoralFenix like this

kj2022
  • kj2022

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

the pop in will be the same on both consoles, they're 8 years old, if you're expecting no pop in, you're sadly mistaken. But I doubt there's anything north of Chilliad, didn't we see someone jump off that in the gameplay video?

Giasado
  • Giasado

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

the pop in will be the same on both consoles, they're 8 years old, if you're expecting no pop in, you're sadly mistaken. But I doubt there's anything north of Chilliad, didn't we see someone jump off that in the gameplay video?

It cuts off right before we see any portion of the horizon of the bay. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users