Quantcast

» «
Photo

Should I install the whole 15gb to my Xbox USB drive?

58 replies to this topic
mattfab
  • mattfab

Pro

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

can you use a 32gb flash drive for this (installing and running the game directly from?) - I also have an old white 20gb unit and i've managed to clear down to 9.3gb of drive space, but i won't be able to get close to 15gb. I would like to install the whole game to avoid drive noise etc - the 32gb stick would be a great (cheap) solution if it works.

thanx

It does work (as long as its a USB 2.0 or higher)

But like i posted before with the technical details, get an Xbox HDD, they're not expensive and read/write 5 times as fast for the best performance, loading times and practically no pop in at all.

the xbox slim hdds are expensive

http://www.amazon.co...ywords=xbox hdd

Debatable.

will this brand of hard drive work tho, even if itsn ot microsoft

Yes, i use a similar 3rd party HDD on my Xbox, and a Third party SSD for my PS3.

No modding or anything needed, just like an USB stick it in and it works.. ;)

However a official MS HDD doesn't cost much more if you prefer that.

the 3rd party one looks good tho

Black Sunshine
  • Black Sunshine

You made me master of the world where you exist

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:03 PM

Wait. How big is the game to install? I know there is the mandatory 8GB download, but how much is the game itself? My Hard Drive has 20GB, and I don't understand how it wouldn't fit?

Rokit5
  • Rokit5

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

Wait. How big is the game to install? I know there is the mandatory 8GB download, but how much is the game itself? My Hard Drive has 20GB, and I don't understand how it wouldn't fit?

even if u clean all games off -u only have 13.5 ish. so you and i can not install whole game to 20GB

• TheRealBars likes this

Black Sunshine
  • Black Sunshine

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

even if u clean all games off -u only have 13.5 ish. so you and i can not install whole game to 20GB

Oh, so it's confirmed to be 15GB total?

TheRealBars
  • TheRealBars

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:07 PM Edited by TheRealBars, 07 September 2013 - 02:11 PM.

Do ya feel that its better to install complete game on USB or 1 disc to hard drive and read off 2nd disc?

Definitely both discs to USB if full game to HDD is no option.

DVDs are ancient in terms of read speed. (10,5 MB/s vs 35 MB/s usb 2.0)

• Rokit5 likes this

TheRealBars
  • TheRealBars

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

a 20gb HDD (like all other HDDs reserves 6.1 GB for the system partition (OS) (Xbox)

You can install the mandatory Disc 1 - 8GB (Install disc)
However if you want to install disc 2 - expected to be around 8GB as well (play disc) for the best performance possible.

Totalling at 16GB meaning you come short by 2GB. (20 GB minus 6.1 GB = 13,9 GB)

• RedDagger likes this

ArielWinter
  • ArielWinter

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:11 PM

if you install a game it loads faster and it wont have to spin a lot so it reduces disk damage so yes i prefer installing a game

Yeah, this basically. I'm going to install the whole thing when I get it.

• Jordiath likes this

mattfab
  • mattfab

Pro

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

a 20gb HDD (like all other HDDs reserves 6.1 GB for the system partition (OS) (Xbox)

However if you want to install disc 2 - expected to be around 8GB as well (play disc) for the best performance possible.

do you know the average read speed of, let's say, one of the xbox slim hdds on amazon

TheRealBars
  • TheRealBars

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:15 PM Edited by TheRealBars, 07 September 2013 - 02:19 PM.

do you know the average read speed of, let's say, one of the xbox slim hdds on amazon

Yeah SATA I = 150 MB/s +/- 7200 RPM

Xbox uses a SATA I port which again is ancient in todays hardware, SATA III is capable of 6GB/s

Posted all the stats on the first page.

mattfab
  • mattfab

Pro

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:16 PM

Yeah SATA I = 150 MB/s +/-

Xbox uses a SATA I port which again is ancient in todays hardware, SATA III is capable of 6GB/s

nice

GUCCI_MANE_PIZZA_PARTY
  • GUCCI_MANE_PIZZA_PARTY

I'm a little scared of being a slut.

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

S-T-F-U, on 07 Sept 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

I would install the full game. It can only help with load times and such. Do it.

Agreed :^:
Well apparently, there won't be load times. It'll go fluidly from gameplay to cutscene.

high91
  • high91

Eminem- Infinite-1996-313

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

In my opinion when it comes down to flash drives and xbox 360's of whatever year or kind i recommend this http://www.amazon.co...usb flash drive I had this for at least four months before upgrading to a 360 slim 250GB. I had skyrim and farcry 3 installed at the time among other games and never had a problem with it.  With this usb the write times can be slow (saving a game etc) but loading (sometimes slower on certain games) and playing are all normal.  Now a hard drive is always going to be a better option and quicker on the install and loading times reduced...the usb drive however can take anything between 20 to 30 mins to install a 3.9GB game but i think its the same or near with a few competitors.

Hope this helped you :)

P.S i am now using that usb to run my laptop off using ubuntu (this is with no hard drive too) 

Black Sunshine
  • Black Sunshine

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

I am probably going to install the mandatory 8GB onto a 16GB flash drive, and then install the actual game onto my 20GB hard drive, think that would be okay?

sanpreet
  • sanpreet

Peon

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:19 PM

install the game imo.

TheRealBars
  • TheRealBars

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:20 PM Edited by TheRealBars, 07 September 2013 - 02:22 PM.

I am probably going to install the mandatory 8GB onto a 16GB flash drive, and then install the actual game onto my 20GB hard drive, think that would be okay?

Is it possible to draw the same game data from 2 sources? don't you have to select default storage when starting a game.

In technical terms it would mean your CPU useage would go trough the roof if both the USB and SATA ports are sending data to process.

I worked in IT for a time, dealing with consoles as well but this is a first.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:23 PM Edited by RedDaggerXL, 07 September 2013 - 02:23 PM.

Well apparently, there won't be load times. It'll go fluidly from gameplay to cutscene.

There may not be load times but things certainly will still be loading, the game only has physics objects and highest-res textures and polys loading in the vicinity around you, it has to load assets when you move around.

An example of this is texture popping.

• TheRealBars likes this

Black Sunshine
  • Black Sunshine

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

Is it possible to draw the same game data from 2 sources? don't you have to select default storage when starting a game.

In technical terms it would mean your CPU useage would go trough the roof if both the USB and SATA ports are sending data to process.

I worked in IT for a time, dealing with consoles as well but this is a first.

Well sh*t. I don't get paid until October 1st, so I won't be able to buy a new hard drive until then. I'm going to have to not install the actual game, and suffer from noisy xbox syndrome.

Loves GTA
  • Loves GTA

GTAIV > GTAV

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

No reason not to if you've got the space.

TheRealBars
  • TheRealBars

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

Good example of texture pop-in:

'Cured' by installing on a HDD and Severely reduced by USB install:

Ashbringer45
  • Ashbringer45

GTA Bodybuilder

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:51 PM

can you use a 32gb flash drive for this (installing and running the game directly from?) - I also have an old white 20gb unit and i've managed to clear down to 9.3gb of drive space, but i won't be able to get close to 15gb. I would like to install the whole game to avoid drive noise etc - the 32gb stick would be a great (cheap) solution if it works.

thanx

But like i posted before with the technical details, get an Xbox HDD, they're not expensive and read/write 5 times as fast for the best performance, loading times and practically no pop in at all.

Thanks - this may be a better option if the pricing works out and as long as I dont have to buy the data transfer cable (get away with using a USB flash drive to do the transfer?)

Transfer cable is just for lazy people.

If you download your profile (Option on your dashboard) on your new HHD (Live/Hotmail Email + Password associated with your Gamertag required)

All DLCS, Downloads etc are saved in download history, so you can re-download them free of charge.

All you really need is to move over save files with a USB.

Do you need to upload your profile first?? Or how am I supposed to download my profile on the new HDD? 

TheRealBars
  • TheRealBars

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

thanx

Thanks - this may be a better option if the pricing works out and as long as I dont have to buy the data transfer cable (get away with using a USB flash drive to do the transfer?)

If you download your profile (Option on your dashboard) on your new HHD (Live/Hotmail Email + Password associated with your Gamertag required)

All DLCS, Downloads etc are saved in download history, so you can re-download them free of charge.

Do you need to upload your profile first?? Or how am I supposed to download my profile on the new HDD? 

No, its an option MS provides to everyone.

Place the new storage unit, start up the console, press the Xbox button on your controller, and it will give you a number of options including download profile.

• Ashbringer45 likes this

The Dark Passenger
  • The Dark Passenger

Bay Harbor Butcher

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

Hmm.

What I'd do if I were you would be to buy a PS3.

TheRealBars
  • TheRealBars

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:55 PM Edited by TheRealBars, 07 September 2013 - 02:55 PM.

Double post.

Delete.

Ashbringer45
  • Ashbringer45

GTA Bodybuilder

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

thanx

Place the new storage unit, start up the console, press the Xbox button on your controller, and it will give you a number of options including download profile.

Alright thanks alot! I have a 20gb aswell, I'm buying a 120gb because there is no god damn 60gb anywhere in this country (Netherlands) lol. Its only 40 euros tho. 

TheRealBars
  • TheRealBars

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:57 PM

thanx

Alright thanks alot! I have a 20gb aswell, I'm buying a 120gb because there is no god damn 60gb anywhere in this country (Netherlands) lol. Its only 40 euros tho. 

:^:

buxtonbum
  • buxtonbum

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

Install full! That's what I am doing. Increase in load times, less stress on xbox, quieter xbox, maybe it even increases graphics like battlefield did!

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• GTA Series Staff
  • United-Kingdom
  • Draw Contest Grand Prize 2016
    Most Desperate Campaign Poster 2015
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Best General Topic 2015 [GTAForums Newbie Guide 2.0]
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:19 PM

Install full! That's what I am doing. Increase in load times, less stress on xbox, quieter xbox, maybe it even increases graphics like battlefield did!

Slow down there, load times would decrease (I think you were looking for loading speed), and battlefield had a HD texture download, a least on the xbox.

The only way this will affect graphics is reducing texture-popping, thus you won't see textures that were meant for viewing further away, and objects won't be invisible so often.

GTA5FAN055
  • GTA5FAN055

XBOX GT GTA5FAN055

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

I got a 320gb hdd on amazon for$49 US dollars a friggin 32gb sandisk is prolly $30 something right stop being cheap and get a hard drive and install the whole game

temtam
  • temtam

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:52 PM

The PS3 version is 18.1 GB I believe. It will most likely be around 17 GB on the Xbox.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users