Quantcast

» «
Photo

Should I install the whole 15gb to my Xbox USB drive?

58 replies to this topic
mattfab
  • mattfab

Pro

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:07 PM

i have a 4gb xbox slim. ive had it for 3 years, so its old. I use an old 16gb flash drive now for my dlcs and stuff, but I never install games. Since rockstar said there is an 8gb install, Im going to get a new flash drive. My question is, would it be better to get a new 32gb flash drive and install the whole 15gb? or just use the disc to play. do games run better when installed onto a sandisk flash drive or something similar, or do they run better on the disc? 

Im also worried about my xbox dying on me too

S-T-F-U
  • S-T-F-U

Rockstar Employee

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

I would install the full game. It can only help with load times and such. Do it.

sebasbmxer
  • sebasbmxer

good guy

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

if you install a game it loads faster and it wont have to spin a lot so it reduces disk damage so yes i prefer installing a game

b1baller
  • b1baller

It's Just a Fourm.. Its Not That Serious

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

S-T-F-U, on 07 Sept 2013 - 09:09 AM, said:

I would install the full game. It can only help with load times and such. Do it.

Agreed :^:

TheRealBars
  • TheRealBars

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

Definitly. installing the full game improves load times, pop in and reduces stress on the DvD.

HDD (SATA I) - 150 MB/s
USB (2.0) -  35 MB/s

If you have the money to get a new HDD, get one - they're not only bigger but it also reduces loading times significantly and almost eliminates streaming related pop-in especially in games that feature open worlds.

• mawerick_mc likes this

HoboDealer
  • HoboDealer

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

I only have a 20gb hard drive so hopefully I'll be able to squeeze it all on there!

CRAZYGTASAINT
  • CRAZYGTASAINT

The Crazy GTA Saint

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

Yeah dude, it would be most helpful. Install the whole thing

• MrInkredible likes this

TheRealBars
  • TheRealBars

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

I only have a 20gb hard drive so hopefully I'll be able to squeeze it all on there!

Unfortunately not the full game, buy a new HDD.

20GB HDD (Like all) reserve 6,1 GB for the System Partition (OS)

Kemo66
  • Kemo66

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:23 PM

can you use a 32gb flash drive for this (installing and running the game directly from?) - I also have an old white 20gb unit and i've managed to clear down to 9.3gb of drive space, but i won't be able to get close to 15gb. I would like to install the whole game to avoid drive noise etc - the 32gb stick would be a great (cheap) solution if it works.

thanx

LiGzz
  • LiGzz

#RealNiggaShyt.

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:26 PM Edited by LiGzz, 07 September 2013 - 01:26 PM.

So a 32gb USB drive would deffinly work, right? 

Would installing the game to the drive give us more peds on the street, traffic etc.? 

TheRealBars
  • TheRealBars

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:26 PM Edited by TheRealBars, 07 September 2013 - 01:29 PM.

can you use a 32gb flash drive for this (installing and running the game directly from?) - I also have an old white 20gb unit and i've managed to clear down to 9.3gb of drive space, but i won't be able to get close to 15gb. I would like to install the whole game to avoid drive noise etc - the 32gb stick would be a great (cheap) solution if it works.

thanx

It does work (as long as its a USB 2.0 or higher)

But like i posted before with the technical details, get an Xbox HDD, they're not expensive and read/write 5 times as fast for the best performance, loading times and practically no pop in at all.

• Rokit5 likes this

nickstemoeilijk
  • nickstemoeilijk

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

How do you actually install the full game? I'm reading some conflicting things here: http://community.us....S3/td-p/6556193

MintBerryCrunch
  • MintBerryCrunch

It's meeeeeee!

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

Got 19Gb free on my XBox so far. I might delete Arkham City to make a little more space if I need it.

TheRealBars
  • TheRealBars

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

How do you actually install the full game? I'm reading some conflicting things here: http://community.us....S3/td-p/6556193

Full game installs only for Xbox, PS3 only installs mandatory files.

• nickstemoeilijk likes this

nickstemoeilijk
  • nickstemoeilijk

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:30 PM

Full game installs only for Xbox, PS3 only installs mandatory files.

K thx!

mattfab
  • mattfab

Pro

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

thanx

But like i posted before with the technical details, get an Xbox HDD, they're not expensive and read/write 5 times as fast for the best performance, loading times and practically no pop in at all.

the xbox slim hdds are expensive

TheRealBars
  • TheRealBars

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

thanx

http://www.amazon.co...ywords=xbox hdd

Debatable.

Kemo66
  • Kemo66

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

thanx

Thanks - this may be a better option if the pricing works out and as long as I dont have to buy the data transfer cable (get away with using a USB flash drive to do the transfer?)

3mir
  • 3mir

The Coon

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:43 PM Edited by 3mir, 07 September 2013 - 01:43 PM.

Buy 20 GB USB stick for f*k sake    :)    problem solved

mattfab
  • mattfab

Pro

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

thanx

Debatable.

oh damn thanks

TheRealBars
  • TheRealBars

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:44 PM Edited by TheRealBars, 07 September 2013 - 01:46 PM.

thanx

Thanks - this may be a better option if the pricing works out and as long as I dont have to buy the data transfer cable (get away with using a USB flash drive to do the transfer?)

Transfer cable is just for lazy people.

If you download your profile (Option on your dashboard) on your new HHD (Live/Hotmail Email + Password associated with your Gamertag required)

All DLCS, Downloads etc are saved in download history, so you can re-download them free of charge.

All you really need is to move over save files with a USB.

• Kemo66 likes this

Rokit5
  • Rokit5

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

thanx

here is a USB vs HDD test.    While USB takes longer for initial download,  any increased read speed with HDD will be negligable at best   

http://ah.roostertee...rchive/?id=1205 

http://kotaku.com/55...-360-usb-drives

mattfab
  • mattfab

Pro

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

thanx

Debatable.

will this brand of hard drive work tho, even if itsn ot microsoft

Gorges26
  • Gorges26

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

Can we install one part on a usb stick and the other one on the xbox ?

TheRealBars
  • TheRealBars

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:50 PM Edited by TheRealBars, 07 September 2013 - 01:53 PM.

thanx

here is a USB vs HDD test.    While USB takes longer for initial download,  any increased read speed with HDD will be negligable at best   

http://ah.roostertee...rchive/?id=1205

http://kotaku.com/55...-360-usb-drives

Good post, altough not entirely accurate, the increased read speed severely reduces Pop-in (Trees and lightposts suddenly appearing out of nowhere) and low quality textures waiting to be loaded in their higher quality ones when moving in say a fast vehicle.

Mainly games like GTA suffer from that due to the constant streaming of an open world (No loading screens)

TheRealBars
  • TheRealBars

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:54 PM Edited by TheRealBars, 07 September 2013 - 01:55 PM.

thanx

Debatable.

Yes, i use a similar 3rd party HDD on my Xbox, and a Third party SSD for my PS3.

No modding or anything needed, just like an USB stick it in and it works.. ;)

However a official MS HDD doesn't cost much more if you prefer that.

felixuta
  • felixuta

The Real Deal yo!

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

I'd say yes. I have an PS3 so I can't install the whole game on the HD but if I could I would.

mattfab
  • mattfab

Pro

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

thanx

Debatable.

Yes, i use a similar 3rd party HDD on my Xbox, and a Third party SSD for my PS3.

No modding or anything needed, just like an USB stick it in and it works.. ;)

However a official MS HDD doesn't cost much more if you prefer that.

it seems like the official microsfot hard drives for the slim are at least 80

Rokit5
  • Rokit5

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

Do ya feel that its better to install complete game on USB or 1 disc to hard drive and read off 2nd disc?

Memphys
  • Memphys

Did I ever tell you about Trevor?

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:02 PM Edited by Memphys, 07 September 2013 - 02:03 PM.

I was never playing from disc. Always installing on hard drive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users