» «
Photo

Breaking the game: Your money and the stock market

10 replies to this topic
The New Blueguy
  • The New Blueguy

Legend of the Heist

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:08 AM Edited by The New Blueguy, 07 September 2013 - 11:16 AM.

Now, I was just thinking about this the other day and I was wondering, do you think it'll be possible to find an algorithm to play the stock market?  I don't mean a cheat code to never make your stocks drop or anything but like a math formula you could use to basically ensure the same result as something like that.  I just wonder that someone would eventually find a way to cheat the in-game market in some way which could end up horribly if GTA Online is said to be a more or less a 1:1 of the single player but in persistent multiplayer setting.

Now, I know this probably won't happen right away but I'd imagine that Rockstar has plans to allow us to contribute to the in-game economy by investing in and possibly creating our businesses.  But if a player were to find out how to game the market, I'd imagine that could potentially be worse than a hack because those who do can be found out and banned.  But if the game contains a legit way to cheat the market then everyone will be a billionaire within a few months and the finer things money can buy would seem commonplace.

What's your opinion?  I totally get that I could be overreacting but GTA V isn't the first and won't be the last game to try to build a functioning economy and games' economies have been exploited before/ 

yonatan755
  • yonatan755

Playa

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:11 AM

In the worst case, it can be fixed in an update

exmpletree
  • exmpletree

Mr. Gold Card

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

I dont think that will be possible because the stock market will probably use some kind of random algorythm

Hover_Mode
  • Hover_Mode

Playa

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

Rockstar basically said theyll be overseeing online as the feds... fbi...

The New Blueguy
  • The New Blueguy

Legend of the Heist

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

I dont think that will be possible because the stock market will probably use some kind of random algorythm

That's what I was thinking at first but a friend of mine, who's a business major in college and has loved probability and statistics sine he was a kid, and I were discussing this a few weeks ago when the hype for the game really started and he seems to question it.  Interestingly enough, he mentioned the fact that in both singleplayer and presumably multiplayer because of the fact that the player's actions -- robbing the competition, buying out/selling businesses, destroying property, etc. -- directly effect the market, it couldn't necessarily be completely random. For example he was saying if shoot up a jewelry store or rob a bank, that stock can go down.  And then of course you buy it and it begins to go up eventually.  But then how long is that?  What decides when it starts to climb again?  Like one Cluckin' Bell stick up won't tank the franchise but what if the player went out of there way to stick up every Cluckin' Bell in the game, then invest in better security and alarms for Cluckin' Bell?  What's stopping them from doing this to every stock?

And then you have to wonder how that would work with 16 people who all have that effect on things?  Is it on a cooldown timer?  Does it reset when a game session ends?  All of those things.  That's why when games say something is random occurrence especially with a money system I wonder where the catch is/ 

The New Blueguy
  • The New Blueguy

Legend of the Heist

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:33 AM

Rockstar basically said theyll be overseeing online as the feds... fbi...

Of course they will but then would disciplining people for what could be seen as a completely viable exploit be fair at all?  Remember I'm speaking solely on figuring patterns in systems the stock market would already use not deliberately hacking it.

TheRealBars
  • TheRealBars

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

I believe the stocks are in SP and MP..

So SP should easily be figured out.

However they also said if you buy stocks in say a car manufacturer and then go around town destroy cars the stocks will rise since production and sales are most likely doubled.

arama
  • arama

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

Rockstar are acting as the government so they wouldnt allow you to continually cheat the system,  Just stick to trend patterns and you should do fine im guessing.

alz-yer-pal
  • alz-yer-pal

taliBAM ActTuffGetMuff

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:44 AM

im more worried i lose all my money on it lol im terrible with cash in real life never mind a game.

bigMARS
  • bigMARS

AKA MARSmogul

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

This is actually a great thought. I'm sure there are some who will figure it out, they would have to be able to run it through a diagnostic program of some sorts.
What I'm interested to know is whether or not you'll be able to perform stops, calls, puts, etc. 

Poker2012chu
  • Poker2012chu

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

The problem is going to lie in whether or not an in-game company will have a limited amount of stocks at any given time. Say you wanted to invest in a car company. If what they're saying about the stock market is true, then all you would have to do is bring a fully-loaded rpg to the dealership of the manufacturer and destroy all of the inventory before cashing out big time. Something like that would be a big exploit, so I would imagine there would be some kind of cap on the number and amount of stocks that are available at a time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users