Quantcast

» «
Photo

What career suits me? What are they like?

3 replies to this topic
Rainbow_Dash
  • Rainbow_Dash

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:13 AM Edited by Rainbow_Dash, 07 September 2013 - 05:13 AM.

Soo..I'm 20 right now. And uh..I've been thinking about what I wanna do. Now ever since I was 13, I thought about the military. But not just an infantry soldier. I wanted to join the Airforce. I wanna be a pilot. But that right there is um..More of a side thing. Its a seperate pursuit. Besides, flight school is VERY expensive. From some of the pilots I talked to, I'd be paying 20,000 or more dollars. They also mentioned that student loans dont cover flight school. Anyway, aside from the military..I can think of two things that interest me..And these are not just spur of the moment "Oh, I randomly wanna be this for a living!". No, with my short attention span..I make sure of what I REALLY want.

One is game design. I'm a hardcore gamer..Grew up with them. Now I spent maybe 5 years on the computer..And I'd say I'm pretty good. I mean..I'm not PERFECT when it comes to technology but..You know. i haven't been properly introduced to uh..That kinda feild. And the money is good. The gaming market right now is phenomonal compared to 10 or 30 years ago. But I'm not really sure what exactly game designers do.

The second one is acting..Which I have more experience in. I wouldn't say I'm a good actor but..Back in highschool, I took a drama class and everyone loved me. But my acting was more comedy. And that's where it gets a little complicated. Comedy and being a class clown...That's just always been my thing. I was born that way. That was definitely something I was born with. Making my friends laugh to this day until their ribs hurt. But its not like I'm great at jokes or I got a routine. I'm just random, spontaneous, and..Like my friends and everyone else described: I'm a crackhead. (I don't do crack. I'm just a little crazy). And you know, I love to make people laugh. Love being silly or making myself do something stupid just to make someone giggle or smile.

But if there's one thing I don't want in a job, its to have a desk job where I sit around all day in a quiet professional enviroment. That's just not me. Its not my personality. So I don't want to do something that BORES me, you know?

Edit: Wow, my rank is really "Crackhead"? That's the most awesome thing ever.

beatthedevil56
  • beatthedevil56

Your Personal Jesus

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:30 AM Edited by beatthedevil56, 08 September 2013 - 07:32 AM.

Work is fundamentally evil. No matter what, it will make you unhappy. If you do what you love as work, you will come to hate it. Maybe this is not true of rock stars. But no future rock star ever asked for career advice.

So it doesn’t matter what you actually do for work. Live cheaply, and work at the place with the most pretty girls.

I’ve worked many jobs. I flipped burgers. I packed unicorn-shaped candelabras on an assembly line for cornfed soccer moms to sell at pyramid scheme parties, nine at night until five in the morning. I hauled splintery lumber and jagged finger-amputating sheet metal around on construction sites. Painted pipes with toxic paint right next to a hand-amputating exhaust fan that sucked up solvent fumes from the whole job site into my face. I was on top of a ladder which was itself on two stories of scaffolding. I’d get woozy and almost fall to my death several times per day. I telemarketed. I sold ads for Tantric Sex Retreats at a sh*tty small town newspaper. I answered fifteen different sniveling pricks’ phones in Hollywood. Got berated endlessly over nothing, just like Swimming with Sharks. Held back tears as a grown man. 

I've only been happy about getting up in the morning when there were girls at work. Hot interns, cute new hires, fellow waitstaff, whatever. When you have a work crush, your day has meaning. You are human again. Because your purpose as a human animal is not to make some rich prick point three per cent more money. Your purpose is to connect with other people and bring joy into their lives. Let them bring it into yours. In other words: f*cking.

If you don’t have real emotional contact with people at the place you spend all your time, you have to scrimp for it elsewhere. Chase it desperately in your meager exhausted hours outside the office. “Pick up” girls at bars. Spam OKCupid. Mercenary, mechanistic hollow versions of connection. 

Forget about work. Don’t think about it. Work is a nuisance to avoid, not a dream to obsess over. Live cheaply. Work as little as possible. Do it around cool people and pretty girls. If you can pull this off, you will solve the problem of loneliness. Which can solve the problem of unhappiness. Which is what people stupidly work and chase money for.

But then, how the f*ck would I know.

lt_yao
  • lt_yao

Satie

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:30 AM Edited by lt_yao, 08 September 2013 - 08:38 AM.

Just to share my experience.

Right after I finished high school I thought I knew what I wanted to do, so I went to a University to study software engineering. I thought it was great, and I thought that I loved it. Mainly because my cousin there was finishing his Ph.D. in Software engineering, he's a professor by this point.

Aaaaaand I dropped out a year later... Was unmotivated, uninterested, bored with it all, and it was just mazes of intangible information.

So, after dropping out, I worked for 2 and a half years, call canter jobs, ugh, the scars from that place will never heal, and then during that time, I found what I wanted to do, which is communication, web design and web development, and just design on that basis in general.

And here I am now, studying to become exactly that, I love the studies, I love doing the projects for other companies, through the university, as well as love doing that for money.

What I wanted to say, it takes time to realize what you really wanna do. Just delve into the idea, if you think that you want to do game developing, try and make something then. Find a specific area you wold like to work with, i.e. graphic designing, coding, 3D modeling.

If that doesn't work, well, it's one thing off the list. And now you can look for something else that will get your interest.

Edit: Missed the acting bit. Do it, by all means, take classes, even on the side while you do whatever else that you are doing. I encourage that, I love theater myself, would love to do that myself, if I were not so bad T remembering lines.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Zaibatsu
  • Japan

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

Dude, if you wanna be a game designer but don't have a clue about what they do, then you don't wanna be a game designer. It's not something you suddenly decide to become or whatever. It doesn't matter if you play a lot of games. Do you design games? Do you explore the rules of what's possible in a game? Do you dissect the game that you're playing to find out the basic gameplay, the core systems, what makes it fun? The game industry is better now than it was 20 years ago, but opportunities as game designer are still limited and the "entry-level" game designer job really means a couple years of experience in the industry, with many games designed and developed. If you still wanna enter the industry, I highly recommend this website: http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html

As for acting, if you think you're funny, go join a comedy club, go do some stand up at amateur nights at your local comedy club. Or go to a professional acting school in order to improve yourself, or try theatre or whatever. 

Botomline is, find what your passion is and do it. Don't just sit around thinking about the possibilities. Do it. Wanna be a game designer? Do your own games, learn how to make art, how to write dialog, how to program gameplay, it has never been easier to create games than it is today. Your first many games will be crap, eventually they'll be fun. Or try getting an entry level job at the industry to see what it's like, and do your own things on the side. Wanna be an actor? Do it. Go to casting calls, try your community theatre, anything to get experience.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users