Quantcast

» «
Photo

For those who dislike the new color scheme (examples and discussion)

79 replies to this topic
Mince
  • Mince

Ménage à trois

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:14 AM Edited by mincemate003, 07 September 2013 - 01:22 AM.

I appreciate that the admins and mods have more or less kept the color style similar to the old place - pale blue background, white text. It's so much better than the black text on white background designs that far too many websites have. However, some have raised concerns that the adaption of the colors is too bland and boring, and that it's hard to tell elements of the page apart.

Well, I used an addon for Firefox called "Color that Site" to make some mock-ups of what other color schemes could look like. I figured those of you that were asking about those might take a look to see if something like this would help you adapt to the site. I also used some custom CSS to disable the right-hand sidebar and increase the size of the content (credit to yojo2 for that information).

Click on the links for full sized images.

For reference, here is the default look, with the left sidebar out.

zt9t6S0l.jpg

Here's a slightly modified version that I plan to use. It just creates a little more contrast in the colors.

FHlZFJrl.jpg

Here's a red version. It is somewhat reminiscent of the old SanAndreas.net theme, minus the gradients and pictures.

XnZtDorl.jpg

Here's a color scheme similar to the old Vice City theme.

T7aggKql.jpg

And here's one similar to the old LCS theme... I think. I didn't use that one too much.

NNWS9oal.jpg

Now of course, there's bits of the pages that weren't properly colored, or can't be changed without some real knowledge of CSS. I mostly did this as a test to see if others liked this idea of simple color scheme changes.

So, for those that don't like the new color scheme, do you like something like this?

Or do you desire a real classic-style skin that puts everything back to the old style, with some background images to boot?

(Note that the staff have confirmed that, yes, they will work on new color schemes or themes in the future. This is just to see if different colors would sway over some critics of the new look.)

• Tsuroki, na89340qv0n34b09q340, Greenline and 1 other like this

Mr. Scratch
  • Mr. Scratch

The Business

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:34 AM

I want The Connection color scheme back.

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Dump 2016

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most GIFted Member
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:09 AM Edited by Tacymist, 07 September 2013 - 02:40 AM.

I really like that black and blue one, that's the kind of contrast I like to see.

Using that Color This Site addon I got myself a deep blue theme going on.

http://i.imgur.com/UNYMCey.jpg

Banner's all messed up though, but no biggie. Although I'm going to have to mess around with it a little more to fix the text when typing, it's black on dark blue. Can barely see it. But I'll be rocking this in the mean time til the themes return.

Edit:

Messed around more and still can't fix the dark text when typing, but damn. I love how this came out.

http://i.imgur.com/jViHl6d.jpg

The borders really help with navigating for me. If a theme could be made from that, that would be super.

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:23 AM Edited by NYC PATROL, 07 September 2013 - 03:25 AM.

Basically this haha. Obviously it can't come back in exact form. But If a skin could eventually be made with the same color scheme and background as the old forum with the same font, that would be amazing. A lot of happy people <<<

Voodoo
  • Voodoo

Cyclop have 9 years

• Unknown
  • Most Corrupt Staff 2014

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:27 AM

I would browse this one so hard.

FHlZFJrl.jpg

• Moth likes this

Mince
  • Mince

Ménage à trois

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:32 AM Edited by mincemate003, 07 September 2013 - 03:34 AM.

Basically this haha. Obviously it can't come back in exact form. But If a skin could eventually be made with the same color scheme and background as the old forum with the same font, that would be amazing. A lot of happy people <<<

Is there a picture of the Connection theme somewhere? I can try to recreate the color scheme.

I really like that black and blue one, that's the kind of contrast I like to see.

Using that Color This Site addon I got myself a deep blue theme going on.

http://i.imgur.com/UNYMCey.jpg

Banner's all messed up though, but no biggie. Although I'm going to have to mess around with it a little more to fix the text when typing, it's black on dark blue. Can barely see it. But I'll be rocking this in the mean time til the themes return.

Edit:

Messed around more and still can't fix the dark text when typing, but damn. I love how this came out.

http://i.imgur.com/jViHl6d.jpg

The borders really help with navigating for me. If a theme could be made from that, that would be super.

Yeah, it's a great addon I discovered recently. You can get around it messing up the images. Click on background colors, click on the little wand button that comes underneath it. Then click on the banner at the top. In the little box that shows, you should see the images that make up the header. Drag those images to the bottom of the addon window on the left side. It just takes them out of the color scheme and lets you change them individually.

I don't think you can get around the dark text while typing. I believe that's a flash element, and this add-on only changes the CSS. There's similar problems on parts of  YouTube,  Facebook, Google etc. that I've tried to use this for.

Regarding the color scheme of the site, I think different colors can make all the difference. It won't be a big deal anymore once they add custom themes though. But yes, I can try to remake the Connection theme if I can see a picture of it. I never used it.

• Ottae likes this

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:46 AM Edited by NYC PATROL, 07 September 2013 - 03:55 AM.

Is there a picture of the Connection theme somewhere? I can try to recreate the color scheme.

Takes a bit to load on some. It's the closest we have of the "old ways".

http://web.archive.o....gtaforums.com/

Just type in gtaforums.com in the searchbar:

Pretty neat

http://web.archive.org/web/

Feel like freakin' Marty Mcfly haha...

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Dump 2016

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most GIFted Member
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:48 AM

Thanks, fixed it. And yeah, doesn't seem to be a way to fix the dark text. Oh well I suppose.

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:43 AM Edited by The-King, 07 September 2013 - 05:44 AM.

I agree with Voodoo, I want that sh*t, but with a darker background.

Also give my my Connecky skin back. DIAMONDS

Kevin3014
  • Kevin3014

Fie! Fie! Fie!

• Members
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award GTA IV

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

Any add on for Google Chrome?

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:03 AM

FHlZFJrl.jpg

Same here, I am really digging that one. Don't get me wrong though, the current colour scheme, although Jarring at first, is actually pretty decent, far better than many updates i've been through on other forums.

You know I think the reason the forum was changed now was so we could all help iron sh*t out and give feedback and such, saves the Admins and Tank 'umming' and 'aahhhing' about everything.

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

Gangsta

• Feroci
  • Australia

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

Would you care to share the code for that?

Perhaps this can be a Temporary Database for people to share, improve and make Themes for the new site, that is until something official comes along.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:24 AM

I used this colour scheme for years before the update yesterday, so i would like to see it back at some point.

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

Gangsta

• Feroci
  • Australia

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:42 AM Edited by ALMOST610, 07 September 2013 - 10:43 AM.

For those who are interested I have made a User Script for GTA Forums that will remove that Right Side Bar from pages so you get a slightly wider GTA Forums, Enjoy.

Browser-Compatibility.png
You should have no trouble running this in any Browser that has a UserScripts addon, I have placed and linked below the UserScripts Addons for Browsers that I have successfully tested this Script in and will continue to hunt around the internet to find way to get this running on other browsers too. If you know of another way please do let me know of it.

~ Firefox -- Greasemonkey
~ Chrome -- Tampermonkey
~ Safari -- NinjaKit

Install-Script.png

(Tested With Firefox/Aurora)

• Voodoo likes this

baguvix_wanrltw
  • baguvix_wanrltw

Cynical, yeah. Bitter, probably.

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:44 AM Edited by baguvix_wanrltw, 08 September 2013 - 09:19 AM.

Lack of sleep + boredom = this. Might remind some of you of something... quick comparison:

KRXqxTK.png

K38vs9t.png

It's not finished by any means, just a quick little bit of CSS.

To use it you need to have a way to load your own CSS for a site, like for example the addon/plugin "Stylish" for Chrome or Firefox.

Install it, make sure it's active (see the icon on the upper right of my screenshot, the one with the big "S"). Right click it, choose Options, new style, enter some name you like (I personally named it "GTAF Grumpy Old Forumers" because I'm not creative, "GTAF Nostalgia" might work too though), set the CSS active, copy-paste the code below into the "Code" part of the settings, set it to be active for all domains on "gtaforums.com", save, enjoy.

/* 0.13 */
body { background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/1ePp49v.gif); }
#ipbwrapper #content { width:100% !important; }
tr.__topic, td.col_f_icon, .ipsSideBlock, .post_block .post_wrap, #gtaf_leftNav #gtaf_leftNav_inner, .ipsBlockquote, .post_wrap .row2 { background:#182741 !important; }
#gtaf_rightColumn, a.hide_signature, .reputation, a#lhsShow, a#lhsHide, .ipsLikeBar { display:none !important; }
#ipbwrapper #content #gtaf_leftNav { width: 190px !important; opacity: 1 !important; display: block !important; margin: 0 20px; }
#content #gtaf_centerContent { padding: 0 1%; }
.post_block .post_body { background:none; }
.post_block .post_wrap { margin-bottom: 20px; border: 1px solid black; }
.signature { margin: 0 auto !important; margin-top: 20px !important; border-top:1px solid white !important; }
table { border-spacing: 1px !important; border-collapse: separate !important; }
.post_block, .post_wrap  { border-radius: 7px; }
.maintitle, .pagination .back a, .pagination .forward a, .ipsSideBlock h3, .gtaf_leftNav_category, .citation, .topic_buttons li a, .__like a, .input_submit, .post_controls li a {
  background-image: linear-gradient(top, rgb(67,88,141) 25%, rgb(22,42,77) 80%) !important;
  background-image: -o-linear-gradient(top, rgb(67,88,141) 25%, rgb(22,42,77) 80%) !important;
  background-image: -moz-linear-gradient(top, rgb(67,88,141) 25%, rgb(22,42,77) 80%) !important;
  background-image: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, rgb(67,88,141) 25%, rgb(22,42,77) 80%) !important;
  background-image: -ms-linear-gradient(top, rgb(67,88,141) 25%, rgb(22,42,77) 80%) !important;
  background-image: -webkit-gradient(linear, right top, right bottom, color-stop(0.25, rgb(67,88,141)), color-stop(0.8, rgb(22,42,77))) !important; }
.ipsUserPhoto { background: transparent !important; }
What does it do? Well, among other things it sets the background to the old standard one, replaces the colors to be more similar to the old ones, fixes the page width, gets rid of the annoying ad on the right, displays the sidebar on the left, keeps that sidebar on/off icon permanently out of sight, makes signatures go back to being centered, removes that stupid respect system crap (both below the user names and the "respect +" button) and a few more minor adjustments.

So yeah, take it or leave it, feel free to improve it and blah. Enjoy.
  • Tsuroki, Mince, JOSEPH X and 1 other like this

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

Prepare for the Future

• The Connection
  • Ireland
  • Most Corrupt Staff 2015
    Contribution Award [GTA Online]
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Top c*nt 👍

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

Lack of sleep + boredom = this. Might remind some of you of something...fO7pdtR.pngIt's not finished by any means, just a quick little bit of CSS. To use it you need to have a way to load your own CSS for a site, like for example "Stylish" for Chrome. Install it, make sure it's active (see the icon on the upper right of my screenshot, the one with the big "S"). Right click it, choose Options, enter some name you like (I personally named it "GTAF Grumpy Old Forumers" because I'm not creative, "GTAF Nostalgia" might work too though), set the CSS active, copy-paste the code below into the "Code" part of the settings, set it to be active for all domains on "gtaforums.com", save, enjoy. 

#ipbwrapper #content { width:100% !important; }
#ipbwrapper #content #gtaf_leftNav { width: 190px !important; opacity: 1 !important; display: block !important; }
#gtaf_rightColumn { display:none; }
.post_block .post_body { background:none; }
.post_block .post_wrap { background-color:#182741; margin-bottom: 20px; border: 1px solid black; }
.reputation { display:none !important; }
body { background-image:url('http://i.imgur.com/1ePp49v.gif'); }
What does it do? Well, among other things it sets the background to the old standard one, replaces the colors to be more similar to the old ones, fixes the page width, gets rid of the annoying ad on the right, displays the sidebar on the left, keeps that sidebar on/off icon permanently out of sight, makes signatures go back to being centered, removes that stupid respect system crap (both below the user names and the "respect +" button) and a few more minor adjustments.So yeah, take it or leave it, feel free to improve it and blah. Enjoy.

Thanks! looks good!, ill install as soon as I get a chance too

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Been saving it for a rainy day...

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:09 PM

FHlZFJrl.jpg

I would be rearing to get that. But if the admins will indeed modify the skin, I'll be selecting this. For now I'll enjoy these new features of the update.

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

Gangsta

• Feroci
  • Australia

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:22 PM

a4JzkqR.png

All the CSS that needs to be added or changed can be done with a UserScript in the same way I have made lots of little addons for GTA Forums, that way the code is compatible with several different browsers.

baguvix_wanrltw
  • baguvix_wanrltw

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:26 PM Edited by baguvix_wanrltw, 07 September 2013 - 12:29 PM.

Eh? Not sure what you mean, the code is always the same for all browsers, it's just CSS. But you do need some way to load a user stylesheet. Not all browsers offer that by default, so installing an addon like Stylish might be necessary.

Or you can of course make a new addon for every modification on every site but I prefer a single addon with settings for all sites, to each his own.

EDIT: Ah I see what you're referring to now, your own script. Well that's just fine, nothing against that, this CSS modification just has a different goal and scope.

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

Gangsta

• Feroci
  • Australia

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:37 PM Edited by ALMOST610, 07 September 2013 - 12:49 PM.

Eh? Not sure what you mean, the code is always the same for all browsers, it's just CSS. But you do need some way to load a user stylesheet. Not all browsers offer that by default, so installing an addon like Stylish might be necessary.

Or you can of course make a new addon for every modification on every site but I prefer a single addon with settings for all sites, to each his own.

EDIT: Ah I see what you're referring to now, your own script. Well that's just fine, nothing against that, this CSS modification just has a different goal and scope.

I am saying that the same way I implement CSS using 'UserScripts' could be employed for your code, which I also believe you can have images with too, so if you change logo's and what not, when someone install your script it will download those images to the cache for fast access next time someone visits the site.

But I will check out the tool you use for addons and see if it is available for Firefox.

Edit:

I have something to add, make the following changes to CSS and it should stop most if not images with Transparency showing up white instead of being see through, seems to fix it for some of my User Icons, I'll explore a little more see if some have been missed by the change. (Try Viewing my Profile, before the code is changed my User Icon has white BG after it is Transparent)

.ipsUserPhoto {
    background: transparent;
}

or

.ipsUserPhoto {
background: inherit;
}
  • Tsuroki likes this

Kalvin.
  • Kalvin.

--------------

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

Lack of sleep + boredom = this. Might remind some of you of something... quick comparison:

EShaTKR.png

a4JzkqR.png

It doesn't seem to be working for me, all I get is a changed background and nothing else.

baguvix_wanrltw
  • baguvix_wanrltw

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:27 PM Edited by baguvix_wanrltw, 07 September 2013 - 01:37 PM.

ALMOST610: Ah I think I get it now. Well yeah it's always good to have a choice, please don't feel stifled if you get in the mood to do something similar :) And thanks, I added your suggested CSS to mine above, didn't change anything for me but if it helps in some browsers I'm all for it :)

Kalvin: Are you sure you copied everything exactly as it is above? Please retry. Or maybe your browser didn't like the "'"s in the background image URL, I removed them now.

Stylish is also available for Firefox btw.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

I will be completely honest and say in the entire 5 years I've been a member here, i have had the default theme running the entire time. I looked at the others out of curiosity, and i found them to be tatty sh*t basically. The Vice City one was horrendous.

I have no problem sticking to this dark blue with white text layout.

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

Gangsta

• Feroci
  • Australia

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

ALMOST610: Ah I think I get it now. Well yeah it's always good to have a choice, please don't feel stifled if you get in the mood to do something similar :) And thanks, I added your suggested CSS to mine above, didn't change anything for me but if it helps in some browsers I'm all for it :)

Kalvin: Are you sure you copied everything exactly as it is above? Please retry.

@baguvix_wanrltw your theme has installed fine for me, I installed 'Stylish' for Firefox, I quite like this Stylish tool if there is any code I can change to improve your CSS I will post it on here.

Re: My Code, If you visit my Profile now, the Icon for my Username will have a Transparent Icon, before it had a white background (In Several other places it also appeared with it, but they were places only I would see them)

baguvix_wanrltw
  • baguvix_wanrltw

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:39 PM Edited by baguvix_wanrltw, 07 September 2013 - 01:42 PM.

ALMOST610: Cool glad to hear that! Like I said I'm all for fixes so please go nuts if you find anything else.

Turns out I did have the same issue here, just didn't check your profile page. Good thing you fixed it already ;)

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

Gangsta

• Feroci
  • Australia

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

ALMOST610: Cool glad to hear that :) But using a current Chrome I didn't have the background transparency problem. Anyway like I said I'm all for fixes so please go nuts if you find anything else ;)

Well Different Browsers, Different Results.

Anyway, Something I did find with your code was when you added the Transparency thing, it was not marked as Important so the old code overwrites it.

Also the other 2 lines will scale my User Image (One that is not Square but Rectangled) correctly when being displayed as either "Last Posted in Topic" or in other places if you were logged in as me or someone else with a rectangular icon, otherwise it will just stretch the icon to be square.

.ipsUserPhoto { background: transparent !important;}
.ipsUserPhoto_medium {height:auto !important; max-height: 50px;}
.ipsUserPhoto_mini {height:auto !important; max-height: 30px;}

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

This, I loved that skin!

baguvix_wanrltw
  • baguvix_wanrltw

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:56 PM Edited by baguvix_wanrltw, 07 September 2013 - 02:01 PM.

Heh that was my mistake.

Anyway, Something I did find with your code was when you added the Transparency thing, it was not marked as Important so the old code overwrites it.

Now that I really can't reproduce here, I don't need the !important... but anyway, it can't hurt so I added it :) To 0.11.

Also the other 2 lines will scale my User Image

Thanks, I'll look into that tomorrow, but please go ahead fixing :) Glad if it doesn't have to be just me.

VF94/Canoxa: I'd love to but I don't know that theme. But if you can figure out the colors it should be a pretty easy change from the CSS above...
  • Mince likes this

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

Gangsta

• Feroci
  • Australia

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:01 PM

Heh that was my mistake.

Now that I really can't reproduce here, I don't need the !important... but anyway, it can't hurt so I added it :) To 0.11.

Also the other 2 lines will scale my User Image

Thanks, I'll look into that tomorrow, but please go ahead fixing :) Glad if it doesn't have to be just me.

I've done a couple other little things too that fix some troubles I am having in FF, without the !important some of the changes wont take effect for me.

.CSS1Compat, .CSS1Compat body {background:white !important;}

That small change make for me at least, the Quick Reply now appear white again and not have the same background image as the main forum.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• BUSTED!
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

I used this colour scheme for years before the update yesterday, so i would like to see it back at some point.

How? I always tried to use it, but everything hurt to look at.

Anyway, +1 vote for including something like the Vice City theme that you made, it looks great as long as things stay readable. And that first edited one looks fantastic too.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users