Quantcast

» «
Photo

Respectolution!

188 replies to this topic

Poll: Respectolution! (169 member(s) have cast votes)

Complete removal of the respect system in GTAF?

1. Yay!!! (114 votes [67.46%])

Percentage of vote: 67.46%

2. Nay... (55 votes [32.54%])

Percentage of vote: 32.54%

Vote Guests cannot vote
AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

The Yardies

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Contribution Award [Sports]
    Most Skilled Player 2013
    Best Event 2013 "GTAF Gang League 2013"
    Most Valuable Player 2012
    Best Contributor [Multiplayer] 2012
    Most Valuable Player 2011
    Winner of World Cup 2010 Prediction League
    Best Event 2010 "GTAF Gang League 2010"
    Most Valuable Player 2010
    Best Team Player 2010

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

So the forum has opted out of the respect+ system for an infinitely more generic, facebook, meme style "like" system instead of just doing away with it entirely. Well played.

It's probably not the final version. Maybe in a few days it will get completely erased.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

A wise choice, the Respect system was never good, it already started to affect some people here, literally begging to respect+ their post, etc.

supermati
  • supermati

Non Playable Character

• Members

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

Good move.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for all the bitching and complaining everyone.

How is it bitching? Its called giving your opinion on a matter. Just because you dont agree with someones opinion doesn't mean that they are bitching.

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:31 PM Edited by deepthroatgta6, 09 September 2013 - 05:57 PM.

The notification tells me that xyz member LIKED my post. Respect renamed?

Ed: Yup, checked full site and I like how it got renamed.
Also respect number got removed from below the avatar. Its perfect now. Just how I wanted :D

Those who want it gone are those who take the respect number as an achievement. Maybe because it's being displayed that way. Rename it to :^: and don't show the number below avatars. That should work fine.

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

Welcome to the real North Korea

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for all the bitching and complaining everyone.

How is it bitching? Its called giving your opinion on a matter. Just because you dont agree with someones opinion doesn't mean that they are bitching.

Explain to me the difference between the old respect system that was apparently so bad, and this new like system that's supposed to be so much better, because I don't see any difference whatsoever other than the words "like" and "respect".

The number under our name is gone, but that probably could've been done with the respect system as well. Waste of effort really.

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

The notification tells me that xyz member LIKED my post. Respect renamed?

Ed: Yup, checked full site and I like how it got renamed.
Also respect number got removed from below the avatar. Its perfect now. Just how I wanted :D

Those who want it gone are those who take the respect number as an achievement. Maybe because it's being displayed that way. Rename it to :^: and don't show the number below avatars. That should work fine.

The admins most likely could've removed the number under our names without changing the respect system. Now it's the exact same system that everyone was complaining about before, it just says "Like This" instead of "Respect+" now, but that's literally the only difference.

It's funny how everyone thinks it's so much better now when really it's the exact same system.

• Jewstinian likes this

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:15 PM Edited by deepthroatgta6, 09 September 2013 - 06:19 PM.

The words "respect" and "like" are very different, my friend.

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

Thanks for proving my point :)

headmetalbanger
  • headmetalbanger

?

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

Don't be serious, some people are very stupid and think: "damn he / she like my post and now I'm better", but they are idiots.

I'm on many sites and many people play with this system "rating" only his friends.  

But just ignore this or play for fun.

Archvile78
  • Archvile78

Playa

• Members

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:08 PM Edited by Archvile78, 09 September 2013 - 09:13 PM.

The Respect system was fine, i'd simply "punish" those who begged for respect in every single posts by "locking" the feature for said user temporarily, if such thing is possible.

I don't think "Like this" will be any different. You'll still see some beggar who'll want their posts "liked".

EDIT: Then again i'm fine with whatever. Just my input~

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

It's a number under someone's name. It shows who's helpful and/or funny. That's it. Get over it..

but that's NOT what it showed.

the number has nothing to do with how funny or helpful someone is because everything was skewed from the very beginning. epecially when you consider people who belong to forum gangs. they shot up to hundreds of Respect points for no reason other than their gang members Respected every insigificant one-line post they made.

I'm glad they removed the large Respect number from the user panel on the left and replaced it with Joined Date and Groups.

if it were up to me I would get rid of the Respect / Like system completely. even "Liking" something is kinda useless. but this is better.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

I'm glad they removed the large Respect number from the user panel on the left and replaced it with Joined Date and Groups.

if it were up to me I would get rid of the Respect / Like system completely. even "Liking" something is kinda useless. but this is better.

I agree with this to a point. Getting rid of the numbers is a good idea, but all you need to do is hover over the person username or to go to their profile to see what number count they have. Plus "Liking" something is just the same as "Respect+" except its been given a different name. If this is going to stay then have it so no one other than the user can see how many points he/she has. Like the warning points.

However i would prefer if it was scrapped completley, but if they need some sort of system just have a topic system were you rate the topic instead of individual posts/people.

Majestic81
  • Majestic81

=VP=

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:52 PM

I liked the respect system, it works well on other forums. people here are f*cking spammers though, 2 hours after it was installed they started getting +200 points from their buddies. its better now though so i guess i cant complain.

supermati
  • supermati

Non Playable Character

• Members

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:58 PM Edited by supermati, 09 September 2013 - 09:59 PM.

As a suggestion for Admins, take a look at how OperationSports handle "Likes". Any user can "Like" a particular post; those likes then appear at the bottom of said post, and nowhere else. It doesn't seem to add up to a "reputation" that anyone would see right below their names on topics not related to liked posts.

Here, look at post #4. http://www.operation...ion-9-99-a.html

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:59 PM Edited by Otter, 09 September 2013 - 09:59 PM.

Nah, it works just like it makes out to - people with friends get more "likes". It's the new ecosystem, fellas.

It's all still there in your profile and if you hover over a members name. I'm glad to have less information in the left column, really. In fact, join date should be removed or reduced to just the year joined.

two Otter cents. :p

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

As a suggestion for Admins, take a look at how OperationSports handle "Likes". Any user can "Like" a particular post; those likes then appear at the bottom of said post, and nowhere else. It doesn't seem to add up to a "reputation" that anyone would see right below their names on topics not related to liked posts.

Here, look at post #4. http://www.operation...ion-9-99-a.html

good example.

I belong to another car forum that handles "Likes" the same way (only appears on the actual post, doesn't add up) and it's much more convienent.

if you're scrolling through a topic it actually provides you with some feedback; you can quickly see which posts people found to be helpful or useful at a glance.

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Onward towards the light

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:07 PM

I like that it's only viewable in profiles now, but I don't like the change made to the button. The 'Respect+' button had more relevance to the theme of these forums seeing as how it's a GTA thing. But now it has taken on a more generic form, which I'm not a fan of.

It's not the biggest deal and there are far more important things to work on atm, but once that's all out of the way it'd be nice to see the old button return.

• Majestic81 likes this

henriquedematos
  • henriquedematos

Li'l G Loc

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

I like that it's only viewable in profiles now, but I don't like the change made to the button. The 'Respect+' button had more relevance to the theme of these forums seeing as how it's a GTA thing. But now it has taken on a more generic form, which I'm not a fan of.

It's not the biggest deal and there are far more important things to work on atm, but once that's all out of the way it'd be nice to see the old button return.

The old button with the new "Like" system would be perfect, it would serve for the same purpose, only having that good GTA feeling.

Oh well, at least removing the old system made it much better now, IMHO.

Kwandilibro
  • Kwandilibro

Be eye itch.

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:58 AM

Personally I think both the respect and like systems are pointless but respect was just ridiculous. And liking posts, I don't ever plan on doing that so I gurss you could say I don't really care for that feature. Save that sh*t for social media.

What they should do is bring back the medals, not sure why they got rid of them.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:27 AM Edited by brian., 14 September 2013 - 12:33 AM.

No, don't get rid of it. Let people respect posts and it will fix the forum. It's like you could only dislike it if you're not likely to ever get likes.

For me, it has helped me a lot to not feel so alone on this forum, because for every person who has reduced my contributions and refuted them without actually discussing it, a few people have liked those posts too, or PM'd me and encouraged me and told me not to listen to people who don't understand etc.

It is a good feature, and it should be expanded. You should be able to get negative rep, too. Even though it would be abused against my favor, I'm likely in a minority in that sense, and so it should probably be there.

if it ends up abused, okay, then consider it then, but maybe, just maybe, there is a potential to really make GTA Forums stronger than ever by keeping it on people's minds that they need to treat the forum as a forum, and not a troll station etc.

Imagine if you could get too many negative votes to see a post here? Similar to youtube's collapse of posts. provided that wasn't abused by ninnies, it could be a very good incentive for people to post smart.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:16 AM

Personally I think both the respect and like systems are pointless but respect was just ridiculous. And liking posts, I don't ever plan on doing that so I gurss you could say I don't really care for that feature. Save that sh*t for social media.

What they should do is bring back the medals, not sure why they got rid of them.

Why would you want medals back? All that was is a place for people to strive for something and fake contribute for a .png.

I rather medals stay gone.. perhaps rather just a commendation count for each user.. that way they could atleast be verbally commended than a medal. As medals don't serve any real purpose. Only causes jealousy and unwanted contributions.

Let's just stick to Liking posts and genuine respect for each other.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:54 AM

It doesn't look as though the 'like' system is being abused anymore, nowadays members are giving likes for only good and contributive posts. 

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:11 AM

Yeah, just make sure y'all respekz me when I do the new GTAF Weeky.. ya heard?

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:14 AM

You're not doing GTAFW, I'm the one who's doing it, you are the assistant. I am just busy with exams. :evilgrin:

Tacymist
  • Tacymist

Onward towards the light

• The Connection
  • United-States

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:15 AM

I will rape your respekz button. Don't you worry.

Shou
  • Shou

y

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:39 AM Edited by shoumic, 14 September 2013 - 07:39 AM.

Sorry bro.. But assistants don't get my respeqz. 

gtaxpert
  • gtaxpert

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:21 PM

Respectolution was a success :^:

I hope we can get the flags and the people viewing this topic functions back soon. That way things would be perfect to me.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 15 September 2013 - 12:34 AM

people who have to ask for it don't deserve any ;)

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 15 September 2013 - 01:24 AM

Respectolution was a success :^:

I hope we can get the flags and the people viewing this topic functions back soon. That way things would be perfect to me.

They removed the people viewing due to free up space on the server to speed it up, I believe. Since so much user activity lately. Look for it to come back soon though.. once V buzz has died down some.

@Diablo, make sure you hit it though. I needz respekz. ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users