Quantcast

» «
Photo

Respectolution!

188 replies to this topic

Poll: Respectolution! (169 member(s) have cast votes)

Complete removal of the respect system in GTAF?

1. Yay!!! (114 votes [67.46%])

Percentage of vote: 67.46%

2. Nay... (55 votes [32.54%])

Percentage of vote: 32.54%

Vote Guests cannot vote
El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:23 PM

a Respect system for "posts" would be just as useless as the current Respect system.

we need to do away with Respect entirely.

it's very childish.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:24 PM

So what's the official position on this issue?

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:25 PM

well the poll is pretty clear so far.

most people want to get rid of it.

Moth
  • Moth

Sheamus McF*ckyourself

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:26 PM

well the poll is pretty clear so far.

most people want to get rid of it.

No not really. Most people who voted are such a small portion of the forums, it doesn't really count in the grand scheme of things.

And if you want a mod's opinion, go read Kirsty's posts on the last page.

• Tyler likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:36 PM Edited by El_Diablo, 07 September 2013 - 11:42 PM.

yes really.
the poll is clear. I didn't say it was a majority of all forum members. but it's clear out of those who cared enough to vote (or even are aware this topic exists).

and in other threads (that aren't sticky) where people have discussed the changes, most people tend to dislike Respect.

I've seen considerably more people say they don't like it than do like it.

actually - to be fair - whether or not we like the Respect system is irrelevant.
forum features should be judged based on how useful and helpful they are to the forum experience.

the Respect system is useless / helpless.
it adds nothing to the forum experience. if anything, it's just confusing. powerful/respected moderators have like 10 points and random people I've never even heard of have like 100 points. it's a joke.

Moth
  • Moth

Sheamus McF*ckyourself

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:40 PM

I've seen considerably more people say they don't like it than do like it.

Well of course. The ones that don't like something, usually are the loudest. And the ones that do like something, aren't going to go around posting about how much they like something.

• Tyler likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:47 PM Edited by El_Diablo, 07 September 2013 - 11:50 PM.

I'm just gonna' copy-paste this...

whether or not we like the Respect system is irrelevant.
forum features should be judged based on how useful and helpful they are to the forum experience.

it adds nothing to the forum experience. if anything, it's just confusing. powerful/respected moderators have like 10 points and random people I've never even heard of have like 100 points. it's a joke.

the bottom line being that I've yet to hear a single good reason why the Respect system is needed or is beneficial.

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:49 PM

I fail to see how something that gives us literally no benefit could be abused in any way, I'm entirely indifferent on the matter and don't really care if it goes or not, but it's a nice enough feature I suppose so why not keep around a just change a few aspects of it? Compromise. 

Moth
  • Moth

Sheamus McF*ckyourself

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:01 AM

I'm just gonna' copy-paste this...

whether or not we like the Respect system is irrelevant.

the bottom line being that I've yet to hear a single good reason why the Respect system is needed or is beneficial.

First off, the feature is in the forum software by default. The only thing they changed is the name of, it's something different by default. So there would be more effort to get rid of it, then just let it be.

If something is so useless and really doesn't do anything, why the f*ck do you have a such big f*cking problem with it? Just let it be.

And I have yet to see someone give a good reason to remove it. People throw around abuse, but the fact is, respect has no baring on the forums at all. How the f*ck can something like that be abused?

• Tyler likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:04 AM

I don't have a "big f*cking problem" with it.
you're the one cussing here.

but the topic exists for people who want to comment on it.

so here I am. sorry?

I've seen no good reason to keep it.
I've seen good reasons to remove it; useless / not helpful, misleading, no guidelines, no explanation.

need I continue?

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:05 AM

There's only two problems I can see with a respect system, whoring and abusing. The other reasons like it being too childish, too like Facebook, well that is subjective and really you can't please everyone, sometimes features are just part of a forum and you have to accept them whether you like them or not, it doesn't mean you should fight for their removal. This is a complete forum upgrade, not just a skin change. Respect is just something new, there is no benefit apart from the 'liking' posts idea, which is actually good and might encourage positive posting, but evenso, if we removed everything that didn't have an reward/benefit then we'd have a pretty bare forum.

Abusing: Clearly the most obvious problem. I can only see some examples of that so far, but I'm not going to count that since it's already been noted and discussed in this topic. As for everything else, where is the abuse? I see a few people with higher numbers, some with only single digits, does this change their position on the forum? Nope. Does it change your opinion of somebody? Definitely not. Sure, I agree with people that the number should be smaller or moved elsewhere, so that the focus is more on the 'liking' system than the rep you can obtain, but I can appreciate the network admins who are working very hard on this behind the scenes have bigger and more important things to focus on right now, everything is subject to change.

Whoring: If people are sad enough to PM people for respect, that's up to them, it's not likely they will get into the high numbers with that. If people make a post or topic about it, well personally I'd remove it. People whored themselves secretly for medals, this is no different, so it's expected from some members but not everyone and isn't a reason to get rid of it. This is just another  thing like post count and join date, to some it can mean the world to them and their forum existence, to others it's a judge of how good you are as a member. There would be uproar if we hid either of those, wouldn't there? Respect is pretty similar here. I think part of people's problem is that everyone started equal at 0, now the ones complaining are saying good members have low and sh*tty members have high, well maybe that depends on their activity and how much they actually post? Go search and respect them if it really is that important.

Sorry, pretty much a td;lr, but it's only my opinion.

• Eutyphro, Moth, W3BB13 and 1 other like this

Moth
  • Moth

Sheamus McF*ckyourself

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:12 AM Edited by The General, 08 September 2013 - 12:13 AM.

I've seen good reasons to remove it; useless / not helpful, misleading, no guidelines, no explanation.

need I continue?

So all of those "good" reasons you posted, don't really warrent it's removal. Yes it's useless, but so is the new friends system or the status crap. Hell a lot of things can be considered useless, yet a bunch of people don't have problems with. Hell none of those things are helpful as well.

Misleading? What is misleading about it? You respect a post someone has made, and it increases the number under their name. It's pretty straight forward.

Why does it need guidelines? It doesn't do anything harmful! And no explanation, it's just a number.

Oh and what Kirsty said.

• Tyler likes this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:29 AM

Yes it's useless, but so is the new friends system or the status crap.

Misleading? What is misleading about it? You respect a post someone has made, and it increases the number under their name. It's pretty straight forward.

Why does it need guidelines? It doesn't do anything harmful! And no explanation, it's just a number.

I agree.

the Friends and Status system are equally bogus. but this topic isn't about the Friends or Status system. it's about the Respect system.

also you JUST said why it's misleading; because "it's just a number." exactly.

that's the point I'm making. it's a random number. it's confusing because it doesn't tell anyone anything. it's misleading because truly respected veteran moderators tend to have less than scrubs who showed up last year.

Moth
  • Moth

Sheamus McF*ckyourself

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:40 AM Edited by The General, 08 September 2013 - 12:41 AM.

it's misleading because truly respected veteran moderators tend to have less than scrubs who showed up last year.

And? You can't respect someone with out them posting. Kirsty posts alot, and look at how much respect she has.(Also it does help people like her, unlike someone say like Ryan. Not to say I hate Ryan I don't, but you have seen how much hate goes his way) And the ones that have been less then a year and have a lot of respect, they have their gang members do the respecting for them. Case in point, the gang that the creator of this topic is apart of. Why the f*ck do you think they have such high respect numbers? Hell the only people so far that I have witness abusing the system, have been the ones that have been claiming the system is going to be abused!

Length of time on the forums does not mean you deserve X amount of respect points.

• Tyler and Kirsty like this

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:45 AM

yeah....

I never said that length of time should = respect points.

and I never wondered "why the f*ck" anyone's number is what it is.

I only said that the number itself is useless, misleading, and meaningless.

henriquedematos
  • henriquedematos

Proud member of the SA Pfister Owners Club™

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:12 AM Edited by henriquedematos, 08 September 2013 - 04:12 AM.

2hgj.jpg

Seriously?

God, more than half the users who voted on this pool, extremely close to 3/4 of them, agree, this system should go. In my honest opinion, it adds literally nothing good. Can't you just simply remove it?

GTA36362355
  • GTA36362355

moving before it's dead

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:38 AM Edited by deepthroatgta6, 08 September 2013 - 05:42 AM.

On the other hand, I give those numbers out to people I feel deserve it. I give them to people who work hard, that make me laugh, give a valid point or something I just like.

..and that's how it is supposed to be used. :^:
Its pretty harmless and I'm finding it useful because on the previous version, I generally didn't quote posts I liked or agreed with, simply because it wouldn't add to the discussion but now I can give this little feedback by the respect+ button. It only increases interaction between members which is a good thing, isn't it?

Those who want it gone are those who take the respect number as an achievement. Maybe because it's being displayed that way. Rename it to :^: and don't show the number below avatars. That should work fine.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

Abusing: Clearly the most obvious problem. I can only see some examples of that so far, but I'm not going to count that since it's already been noted and discussed in this topic. As for everything else, where is the abuse? I see a few people with higher numbers, some with only single digits, does this change their position on the forum? Nope. Does it change your opinion of somebody? Definitely not. Sure, I agree with people that the number should be smaller or moved elsewhere, so that the focus is more on the 'liking' system than the rep you can obtain, but I can appreciate the network admins who are working very hard on this behind the scenes have bigger and more important things to focus on right now, everything is subject to change.

You may not think that it changes people's position on the forum, in your opinion. I too think that it doesn't matter if someone has more "Respect" than others, however not everyone is going to view it that way. Some people will go out of their way to get more respect by asking for it or by asking for more "Respect" in their signature. (Already seen these happening) Then it is only a matter of time before arguements arise about how one person thinks they are superior than the other because they have more "Respect" points. IMO its just a useless system. We didnt have it on GTAF for years, so why do we need it now? Isnt that we have got respect lists on our profile so you can see who people like/respect?

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Democratic-Republic-of-the-Congo

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

The other reasons like it being too childish, too like Facebook

I already experience this. The respect I got was mainly for one linerish posts. Nobody respected either of my in depth posts that were about foreign policy.

Now someone like 'The General' might say, "does it really matter that much?". Off course it does not. But it's frustrating that when you post something that requires an IQ of over 120 to understand, you will most likely not get much respect for it because noone understands it, and the respect system makes it feel even more like a lost effort.

So what I'm trying to say is that I doubt wether it actually encourages high quality posting. I think that what it encourages is posting lots of cheap one liners that you think contain the thing other people want to hear.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [GTAF]
    Contribution Award [Gen Chat]

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:33 PM Edited by trip, 08 September 2013 - 04:35 PM.

I say allow for Respect-

Back to more of a karma system that way.

This Respect+ thing here without a Respect- option kind of feels like the "everyone gets a trophy" pusification of society.

GTAF is only the second forum community I've been a part of.  My previous home had a +/- karma system and it worked...it kept people honest.  Shot, that place was even before the days of Facebook and all this "like" crap.

Edit:

I voted to keep it.  I'm pretty sure people will know who have honest numbers reflected under their usernames.

Moth
  • Moth

Sheamus McF*ckyourself

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

Off course it does not. But it's frustrating that when you post something that requires an IQ of over 120 to understand, you will most likely not get much respect for it because noone understands it, and the respect system makes it feel even more like a lost effort.

So the respect number does matter to you. You don't like it that people respect posts that a short and sweet, instead of your posts that make you look like a condescending jackass. IE what you just wrote now.

And yes, there should be somekind of negative respect.

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:22 PM Edited by gtaxpert, 08 September 2013 - 05:33 PM.

Off course it does not. But it's frustrating that when you post something that requires an IQ of over 120 to understand, you will most likely not get much respect for it because noone understands it, and the respect system makes it feel even more like a lost effort.

So the respect number does matter to you. You don't like it that people respect posts that a short and sweet, instead of your posts that make you look like a condescending jackass. IE what you just wrote now.

Well, I don't care about the number under my name. But when you put effort into an intelligenty written post and the sytem is in place, it is disappointing when noone respects it. You do make posts so that someone might read them and might find something useful in what they say.

But then again, I'm responding in a serious and sincere way and you were just making a pathetic personal attack.

Moth
  • Moth

Sheamus McF*ckyourself

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

Well, I don't care about the number under my name. But when you put effort into an intelligenty written post and the sytem is in place, it is disappointing when noone respects it. You do make posts so that someone might read them and might find something useful in what they say.

But then again, I'm responding in a serious and sincere way and you were just making a pathetic personal attack.

I can make a really long post on why I love cats, and I would put a lot of effort into it. But that doesn't mean it deserves any respect. Sure someone might give me respect for it, but I doubt most would. Than ofcourse, respect is still something new, and people are not respecting something cause they aren't used to it yet.

And finally, yes it was a personal attack, but it was based solely  on what you wrote in that post. If you go around and say that the reason why no one respects my posts is cause no one understand it, you come off as a condescending jackass. You still do, so yeah.

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:42 PM

I can make a really long post on why I love cats, and I would put a lot of effort into it. But that doesn't mean it deserves any respect. Sure someone might give me respect for it, but I doubt most would. Than ofcourse, respect is still something new, and people are not respecting something cause they aren't used to it yet.

And finally, yes it was a personal attack, but it was based solely  on what you wrote in that post. If you go around and say that the reason why no one respects my posts is cause no one understand it, you come off as a condescending jackass. You still do, so yeah.

If being honest and trying to say things that are true makes me condescending then I'm happy to be condescending.

Now I was about to say that an in depth post about US foreign policy is more relevant than an essay from you about how you love cats, but that might be too condescending..

Moth
  • Moth

Sheamus McF*ckyourself

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:57 PM Edited by The General, 08 September 2013 - 05:58 PM.

If being honest and trying to say things that are true makes me condescending then I'm happy to be condescending.

Now I was about to say that an in depth post about US foreign policy is more relevant than an essay from you about how you love cats, but that might be too condescending..

Just so you know, someone not respecting your posts, does not mean that they don't understand them. I know for a fact that most of your posts, I do not agree with, thus would not get give respect.

And what do you mean more relevant? If someone really loves cats, a post like that would be a lot more relevant to them than whether or not the States should attack Syria. Then there is of course, that I wrote that as a joke. I would never write something like that, since I don't like cats, I prefer doges

OG Viking
  • OG Viking

Homeboy

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:22 PM

Let it stay, just don't highlight it as an achievement. Throughout the day, I liked +1ing people's posts by using that respect+ button instead of quoting them to respond and it is nice to be notified when people find my posts helpful. I'm sure that this respect thing will get boring soon.

I agree, it's a nice way to pay tribute to someone, but a much smaller font should have been used for the number.

how the hell do people have already 300 repsect points... srsly...
if it really can be abused that easy then get rid of it please

I saw one member in this thread (forgot his name) with around 870 points. It makes me wonder....? But it's not a problem. Some people will get more rep points than they deserve and some will get less. It only becomes a problem if you think that the number tells everything about someone. I have zero rep points but I don't care because do know that people respect me in the section where I'm active.

Even if we remove the rep system, members will be liked more than they deserve and less than they deserve.

My only complaint now is that I can't give more rep today. I have no idea what the daily quota is, but it is too low. I read many posts in a day and I click the rep button when I like a post. Get rid of the daily quota or increase it. If some child wants to click +rep on every post they see, even totally undeserving posts, then that's their problem. They will get bored eventually.

@Kirsty,
You have some excellent comments in this thread.

Mr Rabbit
  • Mr Rabbit

Part-time spy, full-time maniac

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:29 PM Edited by NateShaw92, 08 September 2013 - 07:31 PM.

On of 2 bits of the revamp I dislike but I just ignore the numbers

it is an ok way to say "thanks your post was helpful"

or "your post made me giggle"

the only problem is if people start to care about the numbers too much *looks at a few members* i won't name names

epicluca
  • epicluca

Red Dead Remasterdemption

• Members
  • GoSquared

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

Am I the only one that cringes at the "respect me if i'm helpful" signatures?

Prometheus
  • Prometheus

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

Am I the only one that cringes at the "respect me if i'm helpful" signatures?

Almost as annoying as the "Lock & Ban" ones eh.

• Moth and GunWrath like this

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:50 PM

^ Indeed.

I'm annoyed by the people posting 'thanks for the help, respect +'  at the end of each post. Just hit the respect button, no need to say Respect + each f*cking time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users