Quantcast

» «
Photo

Respectolution!

188 replies to this topic

Poll: Respectolution! (169 member(s) have cast votes)

Complete removal of the respect system in GTAF?

1. Yay!!! (114 votes [67.46%])

Percentage of vote: 67.46%

2. Nay... (55 votes [32.54%])

Percentage of vote: 32.54%

Vote Guests cannot vote
The Green Manalishi
  • The Green Manalishi

With the Two Pronged Crown...

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

Please remove it completely once you get to it. Voted yes.

• Hodgey. likes this

Gray Wolf
  • Gray Wolf

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

It's nice but it's a magnet for abuse

Why not just have a "like post/dislike post" like they have on YouTube (Posts with a high number of likes could appear in a drop down box within the topic which can be toggled)

Therefore if a post is well liked (Because it gives a very good point) then it's easy to view and find

Something along those lines

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:59 PM

Why not just have a "like post/dislike post" like they have on YouTube (Posts with a high number of likes could appear in a drop down box within the topic which can be toggled)

Therefore if a post is well liked (Because it gives a very good point) then it's easy to view and find

The issue is, it would still be abused the same way, people could like and dislike posts based on their opinion of the member:

430625_10151522213429008_1166686651_n.jp

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:03 PM

Either just get rid of the whole system completeley (my prefered choice). Or have a system where you can like a post (post only) and thats it, no dislikes or anything else. If someone like your post then the post gets the numbers not you.

• Greasepalms likes this

walkingsickness
  • walkingsickness

Mr. "Blow Your Head Off"

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

What i wanna know is how some members got +150 respect so quick, are they telling others to increase it for them? or are people just randomly clicking the respect button on other posts?

A little bit of both. That's why I don't think this will last long. But I think its initial purpose was to deter away from trolling by bring a respect to

your post and then when people see how high your number is they would respect you more, or some sh*t. Either way its not working...

• Rewas likes this

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Saint-Martin

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

I think if the system does stick around there should at least be a limit to how many times you can like a post every hour, or day, or so. It might help deter respect spammers.

Anyone lots of people dislike on the forum (people like slamman, grandmasterflash, sivispacem, zee, ccrogers) would be f*cked out of their chance to ever be in that drop-down menu. It wouldn't be fair to everyone; it'd be like reddit with a small group of people who all mostly know eacother well enough to have opinions. And posts with high amounts of dislikes would get even more dislikes just because they're so low and "what's a button press when you're faceless?"

lt_yao
  • lt_yao

Satie

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:51 PM Edited by lt_yao, 07 September 2013 - 07:51 PM.

What i wanna know is how some members got +150 respect so quick, are they telling others to increase it for them? or are people just randomly clicking the respect button on other posts?

A little bit of both. That's why I don't think this will last long. But I think its initial purpose was to deter away from trolling by bring a respect to

your post and then when people see how high your number is they would respect you more, or some sh*t. Either way its not working...

I guess we're just that popular.

Shows how flawed the system is. I agree with Ottae's idea of having a like button for the actual post, rather than the person posting. Because let's be honest, all of us are tosspots.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

how the hell do people have already 300 repsect points... srsly...

if it really can be abused that easy then get rid of it please

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

To be fair, I'm not the fondest of the system of having the number on display myself, but I do like the respect/like posts function. However, it's nothing major that is going to impact on my forum experience nor am I bothered if I have less/a lot. It doesn't actually mean anything, and in the long run respect will only be earned when appropriate whereas right now it's something new to play with and is being given left right and centre by people.

I've been giving it for helpful posts or posts I like/find funny etc, like it should be used. Those that are saying "we're just showing how much it can be abused" by giving it for every post in their own topic, well I'm sorry but that is utter crap. If it was to be removed, those who have abused it would be to blame, therefore you guys are just part of the problem and not the way to a solution.

• W3BB13 likes this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:09 PM Edited by Hodgey1989, 07 September 2013 - 08:09 PM.

To be fair, I'm not the fondest of the system of having the number on display myself, but I do like the respect/like posts function. However, it's nothing major that is going to impact on my forum experience nor am I bothered if I have less/a lot. It doesn't actually mean anything, and in the long run respect will only be earned when appropriate whereas right now it's something new to play with and is being given left right and centre by people.

I've been giving it for helpful posts or posts I like/find funny etc, like it should be used. Those that are saying "we're just showing how much it can be abused" by giving it for every post in their own topic, well I'm sorry but that is utter crap. If it was to be removed, those who have abused it would be to blame, therefore you guys are just part of the problem and not the way to a solution.

The first part is never going to happen. A portion of the forum will always abuse it and that will never change.

Secondly the reason they are abusing it in the first place is because they want it removed. So if they are part of the problem and you remove it, well then.... job done.

• Greasepalms likes this

blitz
  • blitz

lit

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Peru
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:11 PM Edited by blitz, 07 September 2013 - 08:12 PM.

Or, if that's a stupid idea, and the system is here to stay - what if posts show who respected them? :p

Yeah, that'd be sort of like a "Like" system?

Also, regarding the overall respect system, I think the admins are just trial running it and seeing if it'll work. It's only a matter of time before it's abused and people start trading nudes for respect (Ahem....).

W3BB13
  • W3BB13

Welcome to the real North Korea

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

I voted "Nay".

I don't see any problem with the respect system personally. I suppose it could be abused by people who are good friends with others if they choose to just go around and give their friends respect for every post they make, but if that's the only way it can be abused than I don't see how it's much of a problem. As long as there's no way to "downrep" others I think the respect system is one of the many nice new additions to the forum.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

easy way to prevent it is by showing the name of the people who gave respect, under the post they gave respect. like we know it from many other forums. if everyone can see who gives all the respect, you can warn him or ban him. easy

• W3BB13 likes this

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

The first part is never going to happen. A portion of the forum will always abuse it and that will never change.

Secondly the reason they are abusing it in the first place is because they want it removed. So if they are part of the problem and you remove it, well then.... job done.

So you think that because one group, ironically those who are abusing it the most, know whats best for the whole forum? 

This form of 'protest' that you guys are doing is not going to do anyone any favours and staff will not base the decision on a group that are openly doing it, so no it isn't a 'job done'. For the most part it seems to be working pretty well and I don't see a great deal of abuse. What is the real concern for this system? That certain people will have higher than others? I don't see what's wrong with a feature you can easily ignore.

• Moth, W3BB13 and S99 like this

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

the night we called it a day

• Members
  • Mauritius

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:30 PM Edited by gtaxpert, 07 September 2013 - 08:40 PM.

So you think that because one group, ironically those who are abusing it the most, know whats best for the whole forum? 

Maybe 75 percent of the voters, a very clear majority, knows what is best for the forum?

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

This form of 'protest' that you guys are doing is not going to do anyone any favours and staff will not base the decision on a group that are openly doing it, so no it isn't a 'job done'. For the most part it seems to be working pretty well and I don't see a great deal of abuse. What is the real concern for this system? That certain people will have higher than others? I don't see what's wrong with a feature you can easily ignore.

I agree, if you don't like the system, don't use it.

Other than a few members, I have not seen this feature been abused as of yet (Definitely not 75% as said above) and for some members I feel like it has worked really well. Protesting won't get you anywhere and as Kirsty stated, the staff won't base the decision on a small minority of the forum members.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

@gtaxpert - 77 members (as it stands) is not a clear majority for a forum this size.

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

• Members
  • Mauritius

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

@gtaxpert - 77 members (as it stands) is not a clear majority for a forum this size.

Maybe someone should do some statistics concerning poll sizes, because I'm sure that a poll of over a hundred people giving a 25% victory makes it unlikely for even far larger polls to make the other side win.

But then again I like your suggestion of making sure everybody gets a chance to vote by starting a binding referendum that is advertised by a banner. ;)

Moth
  • Moth

Sheamus McF*ckyourself

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:41 PM

Maybe 75 percent of the forum, a very clear majority, knows what is best for the forum?

75 percent of those that voted in this poll think it should be removed. This poll does not represent the entire forums.

And are you really that scared of someone thinking less of you cause your number isn't that high? Cause that is what it really comes down to.

• W3BB13 and Tyler like this

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

• Members
  • Mauritius

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:51 PM Edited by gtaxpert, 07 September 2013 - 08:56 PM.

And are you really that scared of someone thinking less of you cause your number isn't that high? Cause that is what it really comes down to.

No. I just think it's stupid and that it's better if it would be removed. Say a system would be implemented where half of the peoples member titles were randomly changed to 'idiot'. If that would happen it wouldn't make anybody think that those people are really stupid. People would rather have it removed though.

Do you like the fact that you might have a higher number next to your name compared to others and that people would think you are more awesome because of that?

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

Yes but its still 77 - 28 which means more people want it gone than for it to stay. Plus i never said "Job Done" implying that we will succed, i just used it as a phrase. And to say that we are the only group abusing it is wrong, others are to.

• Greasepalms likes this

Tyler
  • Tyler

keep your chin up out there

• None
  • Best Poem 2014
    Best Story 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

Respect or no respect, don't make no difference to me. I'm having fun looking at people's respect number so it's not like this is infringing on my forum experience or anything.

• Moth, Spider-Vice and Max like this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

Yes but its still 77 - 28 which means more people want it gone than for it to stay. Plus i never said "Job Done" implying that we will succed, i just used it as a phrase. And to say that we are the only group abusing it is wrong, others are to.

Not necessarily, the people who may like the system may not browse this part of the forums. For now, I think its best to just ignore the system if you hate it until the staff decide on whether they'll keep it, tweak it or remove it.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:04 PM

Not necessarily, the people who may like the system may not browse this part of the forums. For now, I think its best to just ignore the system if you hate it until the staff decide on whether they'll keep it, tweak it or remove it.

You could also go the other way with that and say that alot of people who dislike the system also dont visit this part of the forum.

• Greasepalms and Rewas like this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

You could also go the other way with that and say that alot of people who dislike the system also dont visit this part of the forum.

Well in that case, at this point in time, we can't say what the preferred choice is (because both sides could be defended by that point).

Moth
  • Moth

Sheamus McF*ckyourself

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:05 PM Edited by The General, 07 September 2013 - 09:07 PM.

No. I just think it's stupid and that it's better if it would be removed. Say a system would be implemented where half of the peoples member titles were randomly changed to 'idiot'. If that would happen it wouldn't make anybody think that those people are really stupid. People would rather have it removed though.

Do you like the fact that you might have a higher number next to your name compared to others and that people would think you are more awesome because of that?

First off, I don't feel anything when it comes to my number. I'm not going to go and beg for respect, even if I had 0 respect points. I'm the same asshole that was around before and after the forums updated.

And I wouldn't care if half of the member titles were changed to idiot. Cause more than 75% of the forums are f*cking idiots anyway. Huh how that number lines up with the number of people who want the respect system to go. And no, I don't care if someone would label me an idiot, cause this is a f*cking internet forum.

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

• Members
  • Mauritius

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:12 PM

First off, I don't feel anything when it comes to my number. I'm not going to go and beg for respect, even if I had 0 respect points. I'm the same asshole that was around before and after the forums updated.

And I wouldn't care if half of the member titles were changed to idiot. Cause more than 75% of the forums are f*cking idiots anyway. Huh how that number lines up with the number of people who want the respect system to go. And no, I don't care if someone would label me an idiot, cause this is a f*cking internet forum.

If you are completely indifferent to this feature then why even post in this topic?

Moth
  • Moth

Sheamus McF*ckyourself

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:14 PM

If you are completely indifferent to this feature then why even post in this topic?

I don't care about my respect number, but I go around giving people respect if I feel they deserve it.

• Tyler and Original Light like this

ArielWinter
  • ArielWinter

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:02 PM

Change the respect # under each post to Post Count or Join Date.

Moth
  • Moth

Sheamus McF*ckyourself

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

Change the respect # under each post to Post Count or Join Date.

May I ask why? It's not like those aren't meaningless numbers. One is a random number that no one controls(the join date) and the other is what you control.(post count)

Are you guys that are against the respect numbers, really are against it cause you don't really have control over it? Sure you can ask people to boost it up, but that is pretty much like asking someone to do something for you. You have no control on whether or not they are going to do it.

Like I have said previously, I don't really care about my number. On the other hand, I give those numbers out to people I feel deserve it. I give them to people who work hard, that make me laugh, give a valid point or something I just like.

• Tyler, GTAKid667 and GTA36362355 like this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users