Quantcast

» «
Photo

Respectolution!

188 replies to this topic

Poll: Respectolution! (169 member(s) have cast votes)

Complete removal of the respect system in GTAF?

1. Yay!!! (114 votes [67.46%])

Percentage of vote: 67.46%

2. Nay... (55 votes [32.54%])

Percentage of vote: 32.54%

Vote Guests cannot vote
rader1
  • rader1

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

I'm apart of a couple different forum communities that use the "rep" system and it works very well there. It can't here, unfortunately. The user base is too childish and ignorant. Most topics(especially in the V section) are populated by 12 year olds and I've already seen this taking a downward spiral.

• henriquedematos likes this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

I'm apart of a couple different forum communities that use the "rep" system and it works very well there. It can't here, unfortunately. The user base is too childish and ignorant. Most topics(especially in the V section) are populated by 12 year olds and I've already seen this taking a downward spiral.

Well this forum is practically the largest GTA Community online - there will be all types of different members here, we have a total of 525,174. They won't all be sane and mature unfortunately

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:26 PM Edited by deepthroatgta6, 06 September 2013 - 08:28 PM.

Let it stay, just don't highlight it as an achievement. Throughout the day, I liked +1ing people's posts by using that respect+ button instead of quoting them to respond and it is nice to be notified when people find my posts helpful. I'm sure that this respect thing will get boring soon.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:28 PM

Let it stay, just don't highlight it as an achievement. Throughout the day, I liked +1ing people's posts by using that respect+ button instead of quoting them to respond and it is nice to be notified when people find my posts helpful.

I agree, its also helpful to hit the respect button to someone answering a question you asked without having to reply 'Thanks' which is technically spam :^:

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

could you PLEASE stop using that f*cking blue font?!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:29 PM

I do not like the respect system, logically concluded because thus far I have gained very little respect.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

I do not like the respect system, logically concluded because thus far I have gained very little respect.

Well, you know, not everyone is going to respect the posts that you make. Also, members may not even see posts you make (For instance, this is the first post I have seen from you in a while). Just be patient man ;)

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:37 PM Edited by deepthroatgta6, 06 September 2013 - 08:39 PM.

Wait until someone posts a suicide thread because of too less respect on here. :p

..and rofl when his suicide post gets 100s of respect points lol

• Lazyboy. likes this

calearne
  • calearne

#TeamWakeEmUp

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:19 PM Edited by calearne, 06 September 2013 - 09:22 PM.

This forum better improve it's features within 2 months or else I'm outta here!!!

We need join date, and post count instead of stupid REP taking up the space under our names.

We also want our flags back.

We also want a whole bunch of new colored themes back asap.

I cant stand this bland blue anymore!

I need a light themed background with black text!

We also need an option in our settings that disable moving gif avatars.

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

Please remove it completely once you get to it. Voted yes.

• lt_yao and MobBG like this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:31 PM

This forum better improve it's features within 2 months or else I'm outta here!!!

We need join date, and post count instead of stupid REP taking up the space under our names.

We also want our flags back.

We also want a whole bunch of new colored themes back asap.

I cant stand this bland blue anymore!

I need a light themed background with black text!

We also need an option in our settings that disable moving gif avatars.

You have to understand the forum is still in Work In Progress, its not even been up 24 hours yet, the old one gradually got those features in 12 years. You can make your own post somewhere here in the Site Suggestions forum asking nicely for these changes to be considered :^:

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

As I mentioned before, we tried Rep on another forum, it failed, was abused, and well, wasn't worth it, don't let the same mistake happen here!

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:35 PM

As I mentioned before, we tried Rep on another forum, it failed, was abused, and well, wasn't worth it, don't let the same mistake happen here!

Maybe so but it is still worth a try, if it fails the admins will remove it. I see no issue in the feature at this point in time 

calearne
  • calearne

#TeamWakeEmUp

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

Why on earth did this forum upgrade have to happen so close to the release date?

Bad move.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

Why on earth did this forum upgrade have to happen so close to the release date?

Bad move.

Can you please elaborate on your point. How is this upgrade a 'bad move'?

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:13 PM

Burn it and bury its ashes in an concrete sarcophagus on the furthest desert island of the Arctict Circle. Seriously.
  • Lazyboy. likes this

Bigs
  • Bigs

OG

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

I think it's kind of silly and pointless myself, but damn some of you people seem legitimately upset over the cosmetic changes to the forum... :blink:

I'm confident the team will work out the aesthetics of the forum upgrade, but calm down and remember that it's the members and the content that make this board awesome. 

• GTAKid667 likes this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:49 PM Edited by GTAKid667, 06 September 2013 - 10:49 PM.

I think it's kind of silly and pointless myself, but damn some of you people seem legitimately upset over the cosmetic changes to the forum... :blink:

I'm confident the team will work out the aesthetics of the forum upgrade, but calm down and remember that it's the members and the content that make this board awesome. 

A Brilliant point that is worth noting, with the respect system one could praise Bigs for this post. Respect is not as bad as it seems, it could just be thought through better to stop it being abused. :^:

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:05 AM

I'm going to have to agree.

the Respect system is basically useless.

it should be replaced with the user's Joined Date. or even post count.

but Respect or reputation systems don't really do anything.

it's high school vanity.

henriquedematos
  • henriquedematos

Hustler

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:48 AM Edited by henriquedematos, 07 September 2013 - 05:52 AM.

It's childish.

Respect for your signature, bro.

I don't think it's exactly bad, but I easily see people abusing it in the future. Just imagine the in-numerous kiddies making "Respect 4 respect" threads.

Mainland Marauder
  • Mainland Marauder

Oldschooled

• Inactive Staff
  • None

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:58 AM

No, what would really be abusing the respect system would be...

"RESPECT MY POSTS OR GET BANNED!"

[me]bans Otter[/me]

(let's see if that tag still works)

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:02 AM

Remove it from mini profile, contain it to the post that has been liked, show a tally and list of members who like post and then get on with our day.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

[me]bans Otter[/me]

No, the tag doesn't unfortunately. And to be fair, no member can really act like that, they can't ban anyone :lol:

lt_yao
  • lt_yao

Satie

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

[me]bans Otter[/me]

But I don't feel like it.

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci Racing
  • Poland

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

Remove, remove, remove. Liking certain posts and not users would work SO much better (tested on another forum I'm in).

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Generic GTA Username™

• Members
  • India

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

[me]bans Otter[/me]

The tag doesn't work and you typed it in wrongly anyways.:p  it's supposed to be like this:

[Me=Mainland Marauder]bans Otter[/Me]

Tommy.
  • Tommy.

Boss

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

What i wanna know is how some members got +150 respect so quick, are they telling others to increase it for them? or are people just randomly clicking the respect button on other posts?

Mostly gang members tell other members of their gang to 'Respect+' their posts for them. This is why you would find a few Yardie members with over 100 respect for example. 

They only did it as a joke though, nothing to take seriously. This is why this feature should be tweaked. 

We made the point that it can easily be abused. There needs to be a new respect system.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

What i wanna know is how some members got +150 respect so quick, are they telling others to increase it for them? or are people just randomly clicking the respect button on other posts?

Mostly gang members tell other members of their gang to 'Respect+' their posts for them. This is why you would find a few Yardie members with over 100 respect for example. 

They only did it as a joke though, nothing to take seriously. This is why this feature should be tweaked. 

We made the point that it can easily be abused. There needs to be a new respect system.

Yes, a new respect system. I don't think it should be removed entirely, just made in a different format.

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:41 AM

I want to see the respect system go. I see people with extremely high respect numbers I have never even heard of whereas people who actually post a lot of though out posts have way lower respect, ie a person like Fido (mapping thread). Whenever I check why someone has gotten so much respect it is usually for ridiculous posts, ie just asking a simple question and nothing else. It is clear that a lot of people with an extremely high respect have just asked people to give them lots of respect to show the system doesn't work.

I don't see the need of the respect system either. You really can't use this system to see if someone is a trustworthy poster nor can it be used to see if someone is a troll. Trolls are likely going to have a high number anyway through dummy accounts or whatever means.

I don't think the system should be replaced by something else if it gets removed. The respect button was just never going to make this forum a better place. Someone is not going to behave any differently because of a respect feature if it can easily be abused. Of course the system could have been worse with negative rep.  I don't think the respect system will work without the numbers and just the ranks because pretty much everyone will hit the highest rank at some point and still it will get abused.

PS I must say I am disappointed in seeing the train quotes are back. I would like to see a reply button next to all quote buttons because so many use quote because they don't seem to know they can reply to a thread without creating such a huge quote train.

Original Light
  • Original Light

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:44 PM Edited by Original Light, 07 September 2013 - 12:45 PM.

Abusing the respect system would be creating another account, and giving yourself respect for every post on your other account.

I'm sure people have already done it. And if there was negative respect, people would go around giving a -1 to every post just because they don't like that person.

I've seen it happen before on other forums. 

Joe Chip
  • Joe Chip

• Members
  • Antarctica

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:35 PM Edited by zoo3891, 07 September 2013 - 02:39 PM.

I think Deuce Deuce's idea was good. Drop the number under our names, but keep it so that we can still "like" posts when we like them. Maybe even keep a number right next to the post that says how many people liked the post. No points connected to our names, in other words. Something like Everything2's C! system - http://everything2.com/?node=c!

Just as long as the site stays away from negative voting, that always screws everything up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users