70 replies to this topic
Shou
  • Shou

y

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:24 PM Edited by shoumic, 06 September 2013 - 02:25 PM.

Knife, Jay and others suggested the +respect button could be used more as a "+1" kind of thing for that specific post. You'd also get less people quoting it and saying "this"

Yeah, it would work well if it actually says how many times that specific post is liked rather than a huge number popping up beside your name every time you post. Hence why it's being abused.

It's easier for gang members to get respect as you could just tell your clan members to respect whatever you have to say so this should be tweaked a bit. 

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

The 5 stars thing in member's profile is good. Why not replace the respect number with those stars?

It's like on youtube where they had a 5 star system. They removed it because it was almost universally used to give 1 and 5 star scores. It's probably even less useful than the respect system.

As much as people love to hate on anything born from facey, having a click on the respect+ button translate to respect for a specific post, akin to liking a status on the facey, is probably the best application for this sort of idea.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:25 PM Edited by El Zilcho, 06 September 2013 - 02:26 PM.

Says the guy who has been checking my profile for the best part of an hour every 10 mins or so.

I'm afraid I've had to, I'm not sure who you are and that amount of upvotes is perplexing.

You still haven't addressed exactly why you're saying you don't care while posting a milestone.

• Hodgey. likes this

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

As if this place needed any help creating attention-whore ego-maniacs.....

• El Zilcho likes this

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Empty Pleasures and Desperate Measures since 1994

• United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [D&D, General Chat]
    Most Knowledgeable [Vehicles] 2013
    Best Debater 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:27 PM

I was in the process of prophesising this exact thing in the other respect thread before it got locked. In fact the whole concept of a respect system is just ripe for encouraging moronic groupthink and only serves to offer the kind of people who brag about post milestones another extension for their virtual phallus. I sincerely hope I remain without respect for as long as the wretched system is in place.
  • Jay, The Yokel, Typhus and 3 others like this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Peeling potatoes like a pro

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:28 PM Edited by GTAvanja, 06 September 2013 - 02:29 PM.

I'm afraid I've had to, I'm not sure who you are and that amount of upvotes is perplexing.

You still haven't addressed exactly why you're saying you don't care while posting a milestone.

Perhaps it's irony. Maybe you heard about that.

I sincerely hope I remain without respect for as long as the wretched system is in place.

DENIED! You will have respect. Whether you like it or not.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:28 PM Edited by Hodgey1989, 06 September 2013 - 02:29 PM.

Because if you dont say that the respect system can easily be abused then its clearly going to stay and be abused even more. How do you think things change or how you can improve things without voicing your own opinion.

LittleBlueTroll
  • LittleBlueTroll

★★★★

• Leone Family Mafia
  • England

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:29 PM Edited by tms_junk, 06 September 2013 - 02:29 PM.

Thought id create a milestone topic saying that i am the first with 200 Respect points (and i was also the first with 100 respect points)

Thanks for the respect guys, it means absolutley nothing to me whatsoever, and it proves we dont need a Respect system at GTAF as it will just get abused.

Your going places man.

Tell your parents, girlfriend, all your mates. Post it on Facebook, Twitter, Myspace. People need to be aware of this amazing achievement, people both inside and outside of this community.

I need to stop talking because I'm so choked up and proud of you, I'm finding it hard to hold back the tears.

• GTA_stu likes this

Ermacs
  • Ermacs

Leave a message.

• Members
  • None
  • April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

I sincerely hope I remain without respect for as long as the wretched system is in place.

I'll respect your wish (no pun intended) but others won't.

Finite
  • Finite

Solitude

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

Care to give a reason why not?

It's essentially the same thing but without the huge "Total Respect" number which makes people whore themselves out.

Because it's a number that shows up beside your name, much like join dates, post counts, and the OGA before it, as long as it adds to something immediately visible it will be abused by people who obsess over their E-dick. Perhaps it'll become less used but the moment the change is announced people'll keep on doing it regardless.

Even if it were post specific it'd still be abused, in the same way that many YouTube videos, Reddit posts or random Tweets are. Things that don't deserve fame will be given fame or a +1 regardless of what you do to stop it. I'm not saying that it's a bad idea, and it might lessen the amount people use it, but there's no way to truly change the system unless you add a limit to how much we can use the feature.

• The Yokel likes this

D4 Damager
  • D4 Damager

Listening to the Mandolin Rain...

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

Because if you dont say that the respect system can easily be abused then its clearly going to stay and be abused even more. How do you think things change or how you can improve things withoutvoicing your own opinion.

Bullsh*t. You were caught out being c*nts and now you're just "pointing out a flaw in the system for the good of the forums"...

I figured the respect feature would get abused. I just didn't think it would take about 10 hours before it became f*cking ridiculous. Well done to you all.

• Finite likes this

Jay
  • Jay

1984 - 2011

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:30 PM

sh*t sorry

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

Perhaps it's irony. Maybe you heard about that.

Self deprecating humour? I sincerely doubt that.

Because if you dont say that the respect system can easily be abused then its clearly going to stay and be abused even more. How do you think things change or how you can improve things without voicing your own opinion.

Do you also quote Martin Luther King in the mirror? Stop being a cretin, and an attention seeking one at that.

• Hodgey. likes this

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

Wild idea. Let's go back to having no respect system, like system or anything of that category. Both don't really add anything useful and they aren't idiot-proof. Moreover, as is already evident they will get abused one way or another.

• The Yokel and orbitalraindrops like this

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:32 PM Edited by niko bellic half brother, 06 September 2013 - 02:33 PM.

tumblr_m7gc5fDac51rqlz5z.gif

Pretty much my reaction to OP.

This respect thing is just going to create a bunch of spammers imo.

Shou
  • Shou

y

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

sh*t sorry

He just used reverse psychology to get respect, clever sivis. 

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Do you also quote Martin Luther King in the mirror? Stop being a cretin, and an attention seeking one at that.

I dont know any MLK quotes off the top of my head. But is there really any need to attack me in the way that you are doing so? I honestly dont think i have ever said a bad word about you. Maybe you need to take a second and to think what you really are getting so worked up about.

Finite
  • Finite

Solitude

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Bullsh*t. You were caught out being c*nts and now you're just "pointing out a flaw in the system for the good of the forums"...

I figured the respect feature would get abused. I just didn't think it would take about 10 hours before it became f*cking ridiculous. Well done to you all.

Yes, because we're all completely obsessed with an arbitrary number slapped underneath our Internet personas. Here have some free respect!

Forty
  • Forty

he shouts stroke darker the strings

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

The respect thing is just for fun. I don't see how any perceived abuse of it could benefit someone, nor why we should care.  Lighten up.

• GTA3Rockstar, Finite and Shou like this

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Peeling potatoes like a pro

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:35 PM Edited by GTAvanja, 06 September 2013 - 02:37 PM.

Hey! We have a dream!

The respect thing is just for fun. I don't see how any perceived abuse of it could benefit someone, nor why we should care.  Lighten up.

You're missing the point. It's an arbitrary number, it looks ugly and notifications are annoying. It's also taking up valuable space that could otherwise be used to show our join date and/or post count. I think those things are much more relevant.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:36 PM

I dont know any MLK quotes off the top of my head. But is there really any need to attack me in the way that you are doing so? I honestly dont think i have ever said a bad word about you. Maybe you need to take a second and to think what you really are getting so worked up about.

I just thought it was so glaringly idiotic of you to post a milestone in some sort of pseudo-campaigner fashion, fighting against the evils of the respect system while simultaneously noting just how much you have. The contradictions, and your barely legible responses, have unfortunately just given me more ammunition.

There isn't really an end point to what I'm doing, I just thought it apt to say you're a tool for posting this.

• The Yokel, Typhus and Hodgey. like this

Ottae
  • Ottae

(/'ɒteɪ/)

• United-Nations

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:40 PM

Because it's a number that shows up beside your name, much like join dates, post counts, and the OGA before it, as long as it adds to something immediately visible it will be abused by people who obsess over their E-dick. Perhaps it'll become less used but the moment the change is announced people'll keep on doing it regardless.

Even if it were post specific it'd still be abused, in the same way that many YouTube videos, Reddit posts or random Tweets are. Things that don't deserve fame will be given fame or a +1 regardless of what you do to stop it. I'm not saying that it's a bad idea, and it might lessen the amount people use it, but there's no way to truly change the system unless you add a limit to how much we can use the feature.

I was saying to remove the number altogehter so the Respect doesn't accumulate, it just applies to specific posts.

The reason it's abused on otherwise is because negative votes usually end up hiding it, whereas here it'll just be a +1 kind of thing which shows how many people agree/appreciate the post. I see no harm in that as it won't change the position of the post (like it does on Reddit), only show that it's a popular opinion or what have you.

Jesse Pinkman
  • Jesse Pinkman

bitch

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:41 PM

REspect me bitches!

• Mister Kay likes this

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:41 PM Edited by niko bellic half brother, 06 September 2013 - 02:42 PM.

Well I guess we now know your strategy for gaining whore...I mean, respect points.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

So there is a new meaning to the respect post milestone. I'd be happy if it reached 10,000 in just a month :p

Ottae
  • Ottae

(/'ɒteɪ/)

• United-Nations

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

I just thought it was so glaringly idiotic of you to post a milestone in some sort of pseudo-campaigner fashion, fighting against the evils of the respect system while simultaneously noting just how much you have. The contradictions, and your barely legible responses, have unfortunately just given me more ammunition.

There isn't really an end point to what I'm doing, I just thought it apt to say you're a tool for posting this.

I think his point was to show just how stupid the concept of a Respect milestone was and therefore to show how stupid the whole system is.

• lt_yao likes this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

Pretty much my reaction to OP.

This respect thing is just going to create a bunch of spammers imo.

I guess you have recently logged in. There have already been today spam threads for getting respect:/

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

• Members
  • None
  • Best Avatar 2012

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

I think his point was to show just how stupid the concept of a Respect milestone was and therefore to show how stupid the whole system is.

Thank you for understanding the point Ottae, shame it flew over some people's heads here.

• The Yokel likes this

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:46 PM

It would appear that way, if you don't take note of how he incessantly flaunts the figure regardless. If the respect system was truly anathema to OP, he'd post something along the lines of "respect system problems" but no, this is a milestone topic. A milestone opposing the very concept it is celebrating is, predictably, absurd.

• The Yokel likes this

Brown Sugar
  • Brown Sugar

turnt up

• The Yardies
  • Ethiopia

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

It would appear that way, if you don't take note of how he incessantly flaunts the figure regardless. If the respect system was truly anathema to OP, he'd post something along the lines of "respect system problems" but no, this is a milestone topic. A milestone opposing the very concept it is celebrating is, predictably, absurd.

It's a parody of itself, don't take it so literally.

• The Yokel likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users