41 replies to this topic
BoMBeRMeN
  • BoMBeRMeN

Cpt. Obvious

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

Hey guys,

Since the new forum is here, are username changes possible now? 

Thanks for any answer in advance.

Matty
  • Matty

Wiseguy

• Australia

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

Username changes aren't possible yet; but probably very soon.

Anastasis
  • Anastasis

First blood

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:37 PM

I think it's possible, since PrometheusX(who is now Prometheus) and deffpony(now with capitalized D) changed their names.

So I think they only allow minor/small changes to the names.

BoMBeRMeN
  • BoMBeRMeN

Cpt. Obvious

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

I'll have to wait and see then. 

Edmachine
  • Edmachine

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • GTA Series Awards - Best Contribution 2009.
    Excellent GTAForums Contributor (carried over from misc. awards).

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

Username changes have always been possible, just that they weren't done, because, well, effort and nobody actually needs them. I assume you're talking about being able to change your username yourself, though. I think that's being discussed and/or implemented.

BoMBeRMeN
  • BoMBeRMeN

Cpt. Obvious

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

I want to change my name completely, this one makes me look like I'm 15. Which I was at the time of making the account. 

THUNDER-TRUMP
  • THUNDER-TRUMP

Black Country Crew - Sole Member

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

Agreed was a lot younger and stupid when I first made my username.
Would rather change it now to my PSN and R* Social Club name
THUNDER-TRUMP

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

Facade Corp™

• BUSTED!
  • European-Union

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:26 PM

It's currently supported on the software but has been disabled by Admins.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:31 PM

It's currently supported on the software but has been disabled by Admins.

Yes, as ArchKnight said, ths is the case (as you can see on your profile it says 'Show Name History'). To my knowledge, this is currently in discussion though so we may be getting this feature soon...

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

It's obviously a feature and will be much easier now with fully upgraded (and not hacked to death) software, but we haven't discussed what will happen with name changes yet or if we will allow them, just be patient and I'm sure we will announce it if it happens :)

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

Facade Corp™

• BUSTED!
  • European-Union

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

It's obviously a feature and will be much easier now with fully upgraded (and not hacked to death) software, but we haven't discussed what will happen with name changes yet or if we will allow them, just be patient and I'm sure we will announce it if it happens :)

It'll be a nice addition. But most likely a limit would be nice to have. Most usernames would be taken already.

Andreas
  • Andreas

• V Staff
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:42 PM Edited by Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian, 06 September 2013 - 06:43 PM.

It'll be a nice addition. But most likely a limit would be nice to have. Most usernames would be taken already.

A staff member mentioned a few months ago that if name changes are allowed, then they are most probably limited to once per year.

I am not sure if that information is still current or if something changed in the meantime, but I can imagine it being true. We shall see in the near future.

NSanityHD
  • NSanityHD

Hello everyone! Name name is Kyle.

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

Clearly the admins see display name changes as a "problem" otherwise they wouldn't have disabled the feature in the first place. IP.Board 3.4.5 (which most likely is the latest version GTAForums is now running) has this feature enabled by default. Basically any talk about "display name changes not possible yet" is utter bull, because they are possible, just that the admins don't want members to be able to change their display names.

Typical.

• Emhyr likes this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:13 PM

Clearly the admins see display name changes as a "problem" otherwise they wouldn't have disabled the feature in the first place. IP.Board 3.4.5 (which most likely is the latest version GTAForums is now running) has this feature enabled by default. Basically any talk about "display name changes not possible yet" is utter bull, because they are possible, just that the admins don't want members to be able to change their display names.

Typical.

Yes it may be enabled by default but this 'talk' is about whether they will implement it and whether it will work not whether its possible.

NSanityHD
  • NSanityHD

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:24 PM

Yes it may be enabled by default but this 'talk' is about whether they will implement it and whether it will work not whether its possible.

Dude regardless if it'll "work". The reality of this is it will work. The admins don't need to "implement" anything. They simple just go to the ACP -> System Settings  > Members  >Username Restrictions and enable "Allow display names" and click "Save Changes". That's it. It's most likely the easiest and quickest thing for them to do than slapping their ban hammers around.

• Emhyr and Troll_Hunter like this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

Dude regardless if it'll "work". The reality of this is it will work. The admins don't need to "implement" anything. They simple just go to the ACP -> System Settings  > Members  >Username Restrictions and enable "Allow display names" and click "Save Changes". That's it. It's most likely the easiest and quickest thing for them to do than slapping their ban hammers around.

What I mean is the system can easily be abused, people can change and change their name unless a limit is put in place, this is what the talk is about. Whether it will work as in 'How can we stop it being abused?' and if they can't do that, they won't put the feature in :^:

NSanityHD
  • NSanityHD

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

What I mean is the system can easily be abused, people can change and change their name unless a limit is put in place, this is what the talk is about. Whether it will work as in 'How can we stop it being abused?' and if they can't do that, they won't put the feature in :^:

Which is also easy and simple. They can change the username change limit to 3 changes per 30 days, or like once/twice per 30 days or something. They can choose in the ACP settings to limit it.

username%20restrictions.png

username%20change%20permissions.png

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:37 PM Edited by GTAKid667, 06 September 2013 - 08:38 PM.

Ok then, maybe so but its the staff's decision, they don't need to do such a thing if they don't want to, why would it be so beneficial to the forums? This is a discussion board, you communicate with others like we are doing here, name changes are irrelevant in my opinion, I dislike my name, I have no logical reason to change it.

NSanityHD
  • NSanityHD

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:40 PM

Ok then, maybe so but its the staff's decision, they don't need to do such a thing if they don't want to, why would it be so beneficial to the forums? This is a discussion board, you communicate with others like we are doing here, name changes are irrelevant in my opinion, I dislike my name, I have no logical reason to change it.

True, it is a discussion board, but on the other hand it's also a nice feature for us to use if we get tired after years of having the same sh*tty name and would like a change. It's also twice as good as "registering a new account" and losing all of our posts to have our account with our posts banned.

• Emhyr likes this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

True, it is a discussion board, but on the other hand it's also a nice feature for us to use if we get tired after years of having the same sh*tty name and would like a change. It's also twice as good as "registering a new account" and losing all of our posts to have our account with our posts banned.

I agree about it being twice as good and all but in reality, if you change your name and hate what you changed it too you are pretty screwed and will have to wait another set time limit with the name. Furthermore, with a new name, many members won't know who you are unless they check on your profile, this is time consuming and you lose that respect you had if they don't know who you are :/

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

I'm not pleased with my name at all, and I'm waiting for the nearest opportunity to change it.

If staff can do it, then so should we, limit it to once per year, I don't care, just let us change our damn names.

Andreas
  • Andreas

• V Staff
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:00 PM Edited by Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian, 06 September 2013 - 09:02 PM.

I agree about it being twice as good and all but in reality, if you change your name and hate what you changed it too you are pretty screwed and will have to wait another set time limit with the name. Furthermore, with a new name, many members won't know who you are unless they check on your profile, this is time consuming and you lose that respect you had if they don't know who you are :/

The problem is that if you apply this kind of logic, then you could say the same thing about every other discussion board out there. If you change your username, then people will not know who you are - but does it matter? There are two ways of how you could change your name; the first way would be altering the name on the already existing account, which means you use the same account, and you keep all your posts, personal informations, post-count, join date, et cetera. The second way would be banning the account, and creating a new one. The problem in this case is that guaranteed no one will know who you are - not only do you have another username, you have a newer join date, you lose all your posts, your post-count is set at 0 again, and so on. Thinking about it, it would be certainly better to change the name of the current account, rather than creating a new one.

Personally, I'm not pleased my username for obvious reasons - it is long, noob-ish and just stupid. If name changes are allowed, I would like to change my name. If they won't be allowed after all, I'll keep my account then nonetheless. We do not know any details about it yet, since the forum just moved to the newest version of Invision Power Board yesterday. I'm sure the staff will let us know about their decisions in a few days to weeks.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:10 PM Edited by GTAKid667, 06 September 2013 - 09:11 PM.

The problem is that if you apply this kind of logic, then you could say the same thing about every other discussion board out there. If you change your username, then people will not know who you are - but does it matter? There are two ways of how you could change your name; the first way would be altering the name on the already existing account, which means you use the same account, and you keep all your posts, personal informations, post-count, join date, et cetera. The second way would be banning the account, and creating a new one. The problem in this case is that guaranteed no one will know who you are - not only do you have another username, you have a newer join date, you lose all your posts, your post-count is set at 0 again, and so on. Thinking about it, it would be certainly better to change the name of the current account, rather than creating a new one.

Personally, I'm not pleased my username for obvious reasons - it is long, noob-ish and just stupid. If name changes are allowed, I would like to change my name. If they won't be allowed after all, I'll keep my account then nonetheless. We do not know any details about it yet, since the forum just moved to the newest version of Invision Power Board yesterday. I'm sure the staff will let us know about their decisions in a few days or weeks.

I do understand your point CCJBB but a name change is not really needed on any discussion board, you sign up and earn a reputation as the name you chose by posting around the forums. Changing it  would be of personal preference not for legitimate reasons and I just think its pretty useless to do it.

And may I ask why it is such a big deal to keep your posts?

I'm not pleased with my name at all, and I'm waiting for the nearest opportunity to change it.

If staff can do it, then so should we, limit it to once per year, I don't care, just let us change our damn names.

Other than Andy, no other staff member has changed their name to my knowledge except for the small changes to Deffpony and Prometheus' names. And in my opinion, a name change isn't beneficial to a member. Why did you give yourself that name if you were not pleased with it?

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• United-Kingdom
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:15 PM

As I said up there, the feature is there and has actually always been there, but it just isn't enabled because things like this have to be controlled. If we let people change their own names at will, it would be hectic and no one would know who you are. If we enable it, we have to decide on a format that's best for everyone and also moderated, so that staff aren't bothered by people to change names every 5 minutes and that we don't run into problems such as people changing their names, and then someone else taking their old name.. imagine the confusion and trolling that could occur.

Apart from that, the network admins have more important things to work on at the moment, like configuring the new software to fix bugs and make improvements. We have done without name changes for so long, let's just settle into the new software first, and since this has been something that has been requested for so long and is now easy to do with this forum I'm sure that it's something that will be seriously considered. 

• NSanityHD, ElPaisa and GunWrath like this

NSanityHD
  • NSanityHD

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:25 PM

True, but we shouldn't be condemned with an old name for so long for waiting to change. And "creating a new account and banning", because then our posts are gone and people may think that we've been banned for violating forum rules in which would also be confusing.

There is a few contradictions with "staff/members not knowing who you are" also by registering a new name and requesting an old account being banned. It's just as confusing when people would see your old account banned and not know you new username, if you know what I mean.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

True, but we shouldn't be condemned with an old name for so long for waiting to change. And "creating a new account and banning", because then our posts are gone and people may think that we've been banned for violating forum rules in which would also be confusing.

There is a few contradictions with "staff/members not knowing who you are" also by registering a new name and requesting an old account being banned. It's just as confusing when people would see your old account banned and not know you new username, if you know what I mean.

Yes, I understand exactly what you mean. I think we best just wait a few weeks or so to see what the staff will do :^:

• NSanityHD likes this

Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

Other than Andy, no other staff member has changed their name to my knowledge except for the small changes to Deffpony and Prometheus' names. And in my opinion, a name change isn't beneficial to a member. Why did you give yourself that name if you were not pleased with it?

You mean to tell me that you've never created a username, and then weren't pleased about it?

Of course a name change ONCE a year at least is beneficial to a member.

On this forum I frequent, which uses the same software as this forum, allows you to change your name 3 times a month.

You can program this forum to make it once a year. Easy as.

• NSanityHD likes this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:03 PM

You mean to tell me that you've never created a username, and then weren't pleased about it?

Of course a name change ONCE a year at least is beneficial to a member.

On this forum I frequent, which uses the same software as this forum, allows you to change your name 3 times a month.

You can program this forum to make it once a year. Easy as.

Well, I'm not pleased about 'GTAKid667', it sounds pretty bad but I'm not bothered about it because that is who I am, thats what everyone knows me as.

The forum may be able to do it but as both myself and Kirsty have now stated:

As I said up there, the feature is there and has actually always been there, but it just isn't enabled because things like this have to be controlled. If we let people change their own names at will, it would be hectic and no one would know who you are. If we enable it, we have to decide on a format that's best for everyone and also moderated, so that staff aren't bothered by people to change names every 5 minutes and that we don't run into problems such as people changing their names, and then someone else taking their old name.. imagine the confusion and trolling that could occur.

Apart from that, the network admins have more important things to work on at the moment, like configuring the new software to fix bugs and make improvements. We have done without name changes for so long, let's just settle into the new software first, and since this has been something that has been requested for so long and is now easy to do with this forum I'm sure that it's something that will be seriously considered. 

:^:

Mr Anonymous
  • Mr Anonymous

Rastafari See The Light.

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:32 PM

Personally, I'm not pleased my username for obvious reasons - it is long, noob-ish and just stupid. If name changes are allowed, I would like to change my name. If they won't be allowed after all, I'll keep my account then nonetheless. We do not know any details about it yet, since the forum just moved to the newest version of Invision Power Board yesterday. I'm sure the staff will let us know about their decisions in a few days or weeks.

I do understand your point CCJBB but a name change is not really needed on any discussion board, you sign up and earn a reputation as the name you chose by posting around the forums. Changing it  would be of personal preference not for legitimate reasons and I just think its pretty useless to do it.

And may I ask why it is such a big deal to keep your posts?

Girish changed his it was like girish531

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:35 PM

Mr Anonymous - I was talking about after the forum upgrade. Girish changed years ago, he was originally girishb_86

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users