Quantcast

» «
Photo

Will Ea And Activision Follow Suit After The Success Of Gtav?

51 replies to this topic
gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:18 PM

They would probably sell well because idiots and casuals always support them with their sh*tty Battlefield and Call of Duty titles.

Moth
  • Moth

Sheamus McF*ckyourself

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:24 PM

Maybe I'm inventing this, but I'm pretty sure EA actually attempted a hostile takeover of Take-Two in order to get their grubby hands on Rockstar Games. So a crappy GTA pumped out every year was probably a very real possibility, and we'd be looking at GTA7: Ghost coming out in 2 weeks instead of GTA5. Scary thought.

Remember when EA attempted to buy GTAForums?it was a April fools joke.  But yeah I remember that time, though it didn't work out in the end.

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:29 PM Edited by NYC PATROL, 07 September 2013 - 11:29 PM.

Nah Activision is just going to keep milking CoD till the cows come home. They don't need any other IP. (For right now) They are making jaw-dropping amounts of money off that franchise.

Same with EA. They are sitting nicely on Battlefield money and a bunch of other titles. No need to step into the open world sandbox.

Trund
  • Trund

I'm all of ach fo her

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:45 PM

Nah Activision is just going to keep milking CoD till the cows come home. They don't need any other IP. (For right now) They are making jaw-dropping amounts of money off that franchise.

Same with EA. They are sitting nicely on Battlefield money and a bunch of other titles. No need to step into the open world sandbox.

Exactly. Why waste time on something new if you can easily rip off so many idiots out there. There's barely any developer left out there that makes quality games, most of them just want to produce titles a) quickly and b) in huge quantities, both EA and Activision don't give a sh*t about their customers, true story.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:49 PM Edited by Fireman, 07 September 2013 - 11:49 PM.

Where's that success of GTA V?

Why waste time on something new if you can easily rip off so many idiots out there

HAHA, DID YOU GET IT? CAUSE IT'S GTA V, THE FIFTH IN THE SERIES.

Cock&Balls
  • Cock&Balls

Dipped in bread crumbs

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA Online]

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:17 AM Edited by FRA1Z3R, 08 September 2013 - 12:27 AM.

Although I don't particularly like EA or Activision, I can say that I wouldn't mind if they tried to take a stab at an open world game near the beginning of the next gen console cycle. I can see it happening, mostly because of what everyone has said, they are money hungry, and will only be able to rely on certain franchises for so long before consumers find them stale, it is already starting to happen with COD, why else would they change the name? They have done it because MW3 was a failure, they said they changed the name to show that they werent relying on the "Modern Warfare" name, big pile of bullsh*t! Although it sold pretty good, not nearly as many people would have bought MW4 because MW3 was such a failure. Being money hungry is what will drive them to follow suit.

GTAV/GTA Online-massively successful, watch_dogs-mildly successful but successful non the less.
Does someone actually think EA or Activision will not care that these games will be successful, they will care immensely! It has already shown, with the president of Activision saying "There is room in the market for both COD and GTAV." I am gonna say that at least one of the companies have a storyboard for an modern day open world crime game already in the works.

Edit:@NYC PATROL, the same could have been said about EA putting out a FPS to compete with COD, because they had Madden, NBA Live, Fifa and other sports games, but they seen the success of COD, and jumped on board the FPS train. They want to be on the Car Jacking Criminal third person shooter open world band wagon as well, they were trying like crazy to nab TakeTwo, and we all know one of the main reasons why.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

Exactly. Why waste time on something new if you can easily rip off so many idiots out there. There's barely any developer left out there that makes quality games, most of them just want to produce titles a) quickly and b) in huge quantities, both EA and Activision don't give a sh*t about their customers, true story.

Pray, tell, what are the developers that make quality games? If there's only "barely any" left, surely you can name them off the top of your head! 

And people are idiots for playing games they enjoy, really? Some would find you an idiot for playing what is essentially the same game but altered in setting and not so much for story, but same gameplay as is the GTA series. But god forbid someone criticize GTA!

And no, it isn't true story. They listen to the customers as much as they can, what with that origin game try initiative where you can get a full refund of your game if you don't like it when you bought it or it doesn't run on your machine, or even though after bullsh*tting, they gave people a whole new game for the Simcity fiasco, as well as patching in stuff that players wanted, OR f*ckING CHANGING THE ENTIRE ENDING OF A GAME BECAUSE THE MASSES OF PLAYERS WERE ANGRY THAT IT WASN'T WHAT THEY WANTED! But I guess those don't count, right?

You know why they produce titles quickly? Because:

A) The players want it quickly

and

B) It brings money continuously and keeps them afloat

CoD, FIFA, Battlefield, NHL, NFL players want their titles yearly. They're used to that, because it was like that since the beginning (for the sports title at least). IF EA were to step up and say "There's no FIFA 15, we're focusing on other stuff and will be releasing only FIFA 17 now.", people would be pissed off, there would be huge expectations on the game, as it must be completely different and far superior to 14/15, otherwise the game will seriously bomb and EA will go bankrupt. But with yearly titles, they are given the chance to alter the gameplay slightly every year, try new graphic improvements every year, resulting in an increasing level of quality, without the risk of complete failure, as they can always push a better game at the end of the following year. But obviously, that doesn't make sense to you.

But f*ck, these companies are supposed to make money, and they're damn good at that, while still putting up quality games, with a very low bug count, and a very high standard of art. If you're a huge company, with a huge amount of shareholders, you can't go willy nilly trying different things. You have to make small moves here and there. And even then, EA has funded weird independent, break the mold kind of projects before, like Mirror's Edge and The Saboteur. But yeah, people forget about that when criticizing said companies. True story.

• Fireman and jeanrjm like this

Durden
  • Durden

Jack's blatant honesty

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:08 PM

Why would they? There's no reason to. They're outer shell seems like they care with their press statements and whatnot, but that shell is transparent. Everyone knows that they've found the perfect formula with CoD. It takes minimal resources, and the risk is non-existent.

You see, successful open-world games take passion, money, and time to make. EA isn't willing to give those 3 things out.

I believe the only passionate open-world project we'll see from EA is the new Mirror's Edge releasing in the coming years. They seem to care about that franchise considering they're continuing it even though the fanbase isn't that big. Just don't be surprised if we can kill civilians & hijack cars in Mirror's Edge 2.

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:55 PM Edited by Lightning Strike, 08 September 2013 - 10:55 PM.

If they did, it would be as successful as SR series.

I doubt it, SR already has that area of the freeroam market snapped up, whilst Rockstar and Ubisoft own the rest, I genuinely don't see how anyone else could break into such a tight market space, especially when you consider that Rockstar are seen as the literal gods of the gaming industry who can do no wrong and their label being on a game's case will sell that game.

They are big and GTA is even bigger, you cannot hope to compete with that behemoth so you have to go off in your own little corner of the market and control that rather than go one on one with Rockstar's biggest franchise.

DeafMetal
  • DeafMetal

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:44 AM

They did. EA tried with The Godfather and The Saboteur and Activision with True Crime. They were all flops. It's a shame because they were really good games, especially The Saboteur. Fortunately, True Crime got revived as Sleeping Dogs.

niq
  • niq

• Members

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:48 PM Edited by niq, 09 September 2013 - 10:50 PM.

Maybe I'm inventing this, but I'm pretty sure EA actually attempted a hostile takeover of Take-Two in order to get their grubby hands on Rockstar Games. So a crappy GTA pumped out every year was probably a very real possibility, and we'd be looking at GTA7: Ghost coming out in 2 weeks instead of GTA5. Scary thought.

This is one of the many reasons why I strongly dislike EA. I would never buy another GTA game if they ever acquired Take-Two. They seem to have a nasty little habbit of buying out smaller companies so they can get their hands on amazing money making franchises. After they've gone in and ruined the series, it seems like they throw it away and move on to the next one. They should be focusing on what they already have and making it better.

I also want to point out that they are also ruining the sims. I loved the sims 1 and 2 but you can see where the game has went down when TS3 came out. They put everything in the sims store (content players had access to for free in the previous games in expansion and stuff packs... plus they are far over priced) which is nothing more than a cover up for microtransactions. They also seem to think playing with rabbitholes (empty shells your sims enter... you can't see them inside at all) is fun. I have been noticing for a few years that they are trying to gradually sneak in social media and online play too.

Whether EA decides to go out of their way to compete with Take-Two, since they couldn't acquire them by means of a hostile takeover or by running and crying to shareholders about it, they will never be as good as Rockstar Games.

Twang.
  • Twang.

memento mori, dead man's curve

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:09 AM

I don't think so. I mean, they can try, but the open world crime genre already has it's royalty. Between GTA and Saint's Row, there's not much space left. They might manage something as good as Sleeping Dogs, but not much more.

Andreas
  • Andreas

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:55 PM Edited by Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian, 13 September 2013 - 09:56 PM.

Sure RDR and MP3 were great games but they didn't sell like they were supposed to. Had V production started right after VI, we could have had a much smaller wait.

RDR actually surpassed the expectations by far, and there is even information to back up this claim; it is coming from Take-Two Interactive's financial reports. As you probably know, Rockstar released the second Red Dead game in May 2010 after the game was delayed a few times for half a year in total. Here's what Take-Two expected for fiscal year 2011, starting in October 2009 and ending in October 2010, in the first report of FY2011, which was published on March 3rd 2010; $725-925 million, or $0.40-$0.60 earnings per share. Now let's look what the actual result of that fiscal year was; 1.16 billion dollars, or $1.06 earnings per share according to the finance report that was published on December 16th 2010. That's $235-435 million dollars more income and $0.44-$0.66 dollars per share more than initially expected. This was the second best financial year in the history of TTWO, and the only game that managed it to make more than that was GTA IV, which made 1.5 billion dollars and over $2 earnings per share. And GTAV will surpass that again, judging by the reports since May 2011 and given the substantially bigger console base compared to the time when IV arrived the market.

You are right though about Max Payne 3 being slightly disappointing. It made less income than it was expected when looking at the reports from 2012 and earlier this year; 300 million dollars were expected, but it made 'only' $250 million. And various of websites stated as well that the sales could not live up the expectations.

As Lightning Strike pointed out, V was officially mentioned for the first time in 2009. To be specific, it was mentioned in an interview between Dan Houser and The Times in November 2009.

As for the boys themselves, they are already back at work. There's a Western game in the works for next spring, and the next GTA to think of. “We'll think of a city first, then the characters,” says Houser. The script he will end up co-writing will run to around 1,000 pages, nearly ten times as much as a feature film.

http://www.gta4.net/news/4375/

Anyway, I do not think that EA, or Activision, or whatever company will be able to make a game that is as good as GTA if all they do is copying what GTAV is doing. It's not enough, not even close. The big companies out there need to learn that coyping other franchises is not the key to success and quality, especially the latter one. They need to do what Rockstar is doing in order to be original: being creative. You can not be creative if you copy something that has been done to death. You have to do something new, something that might revolutionizes the market in one or another way. You need to go the extra mile to do something that hasn't been done before, or at least extend substantially to what has been done in the past. The possibilities are endless. First thing developers and publishers should consider is stopping with annual releases. You can not create revolutionary titles, if you are aiming for an annual release; that's a given.

• Finn 7 five 11 likes this

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 September 2013 - 12:32 PM

But f*ck, these companies are supposed to make money, and they're damn good at that, while still putting up quality games, with a very low bug count, and a very high standard of art. If you're a huge company, with a huge amount of shareholders, you can't go willy nilly trying different things. You have to make small moves here and there.

It's a big limiting factor that, a major company could go broke if they flop a few very high budget games so I don't blame them for sticking to what works for them.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

im sure their will be more so called clones after v comes out
but i think their is a certain fear that their just destined to fail
when competing with gta look at saints row they tried and failed so
they changed the whole game from a gta like game to an open world
alien game.

Chukkles
  • Chukkles

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:33 AM

Activision and EA are like eating only cake for eternity.
The first few days or even weeks, that same cake is still pretty good, but after that you're just sick of it, it's stale and you just want to puke at the sight of it.

MW2 was the last good cod game, it actually seemed like team play was gonna be their main concern for the next game, Blackops was just a run and gun clusterf*ck. MW3 was duller than a butter knife and ghost's, well dog fur and fish.

EA could do with putting a hold on its sport series' just so they have time to rework and rejuvenate them.
I'm sure thier biggest fans must be getting sick of slight tweaks to the exact same game. Then again I know a few fans of Fifa and their only concerns is player names and faces, call yourselves gamers??? Tisk tisk.

R* don't always get it spot on either, I found MCLA one of the worst street racers I ever played. I hope they haven't taken too much inspiration for GTAV.

Zello
  • Zello

Hired gun

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:02 PM Edited by Zello, 15 October 2015 - 07:05 PM.

Sorry for the bump lol but this is interesting

http://www.ign.com/a...ic-action-games

EA wants to get into making open world games again

I'm not a big fan of EA but more open world games that don't start with the letter G is good as long as they don't milk it and over saturate the market

GTA3Rockstar
  • GTA3Rockstar

--------------------

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Lifetime Achievement Award
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:07 PM

I want a game that's mixed with Sims, Sim City and GTA. Perfect combo.

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Blue lives don't matter

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 16 October 2015 - 08:41 AM

EA wants a mix of GTA and Assassin's Creed?

THE SABOTEUR 2 PLEASE.

• jeanrjm likes this

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 17 October 2015 - 07:28 PM

Saboteur in which era though?

I'd play it, Saboteur was great.

Also I posted in this topic 2 years ago, huzza.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 17 October 2015 - 08:13 PM

Saboteur in which era though?

I'd play it, Saboteur was great.

WW2 would work. A new city and a more refined gameplay is what could make it interesting.

Although I wouldn't be against a Saboteur game set in Mass Effect universe or Star Wars universe now that EA has SW license. But EA is not imaginative enough to attempt to do something like that.

Cock&Balls
  • Cock&Balls

Dipped in bread crumbs

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA Online]

Posted 17 October 2015 - 09:22 PM

I totally forgot I even made this thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users