Quantcast

» «
Photo

Will Ea And Activision Follow Suit After The Success Of Gtav?

45 replies to this topic
FRA1Z3R
  • FRA1Z3R

Made in the '80s

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

With GTAV releasing in less than 2 weeks, people and media alike will be talking about it a lot. There is no question that GTA V will be an immense success just like all GTAs past. While other publishers have taken a stab at 'cloning' GTA, the likes of Sleeping Dogs (true crime) and Saints Row, they have never been able to even come close to the financial success of the GTA series.

My question is will EA and Activision try to capitalize on the success of V by creating a high budget open world game with similar elements of V? If so, what do you think the titles and plot would be? And could it be any good coming from these publishers?

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

How could they? They can't make a game like that in a year or two and expect it to be any good. They're imbeciles who don't understand the gaming market and the positive aspects of letting their studios have full creative freedom.

• Moth, Hodgey., AreXi and 2 others like this

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:37 PM

How could they? They can't make a game like that in a year or two and expect it to be any good. They're imbeciles who don't understand the gaming market and the positive aspects of letting their studios have full creative freedom.

Excatly once EA or Activison stubble upon a good game that sells well then they are sure to try and release it on a yearly basis or every two years. You just couldn't put all the deatil into it like R* have done with GTA V and expect it to be a good game with not many flaws if you are to release it as soon as possible like EA or Activison would.

• FRA1Z3R likes this

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:45 PM

Depending on what success are we talking about. If it's economical, sure, people buy the same renamed bullsh*t over and over. If we are speaking about innovation and quality content, not at all. It's impossible to launch a game annually and keep its quality.

• FRA1Z3R likes this

Moth
  • Moth

I am mad scientist, sunuvabich!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

They're imbeciles who don't understand the gaming market

Oh I'm going to disagree with you there. They know the gaming market, it's why they keep on making games that sell. Sure we don't like it, but they aren't stupid. They are going to continue making games in that series until the point that the series isn't popular anymore.

But everything else, you got right.

• darthYENIK, AreXi and FRA1Z3R like this

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:54 PM

Exactly.  They're not stupid.  It's not like they don't have good businesses.  They make the highest selling games, and do it every year.  This year GTAV might beat them, but I wouldn't be surprised if CoD: Ghosts sells more.  But I agree with GTAvanja that EA and Activision limit themselves in quality by only taking a year or two for their games.  When you look at all the great games that have come out recently, they all are finished "when they're finished".  Often getting delayed.  I'm not saying this is the key to success, that if you take 10 years to make a game it'll be the best game every (example; Duke Nukem Forever).  But if you take that extra time to fine tune a good game, it tends to be better.  If they did this with CoD, it could be great again.

• Moth and FRA1Z3R like this

FRA1Z3R
  • FRA1Z3R

Made in the '80s

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

I was referring to both financial success and 'good game' success. I do have to agree with all that has been said, that if they did attempt to do it, it would more than likely end up a bland rehash year over year. However I don't really recall EA or Activision even putting an open world out the likes of GTA. Mirrors edge 2 is said to be open world, but its a first person... Err... Free running game? Does anyone think they are going to actually attempt an open world crime game?

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:22 PM

IIRC EA had their tries in Simpsons the Game or Saboteur and Activision published both parts of True Crime (and cancelled third one).

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:22 PM Edited by darthYENIK, 06 September 2013 - 06:25 PM.

@FRA1Z3R, I thought that's was in our answers.

EA and Activision will not do it, because they don't need to do it, because they are business oriented.  Their business is in spinning out their big IPs every year, and throwing some money and time at smaller developers who make smaller games.  It would go against their business model to put the time and effort it takes to make a game as big as a GTA game.

Even if they did, and they took their time and did it right, I couldn't see them getting a game as good as GTAV probably will be until at least 2017.  And by then, GTA VI will probably be on the way, and will blow that other hypothetical game out of the water.  Rockstar have been doing this for nearly 20 years.  They know the genre, they know what can be done and what shouldn't be done.  That knowledge can't just be learned.

• FRA1Z3R and Nun0567 like this

FRA1Z3R
  • FRA1Z3R

Made in the '80s

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:44 PM

I got the point that they are money grubbers, and i agree... But I am gonna have to disagree that EA and Activision will not at least attempt something like this via next gen systems. A modern day, criminal open world game I believe will come rolling out of at least one those publishers within the next five years. There is also a lot of buzz around watch dogs, although I am not particularly fond of it, I think it will have at least mediocre success. And following the trend(s) is what a lot of big businesses do. Two successful modern day open world crime games released within a few months of each other should spark something in the dollar bill filled brains of EA and Activision executives.

Mr Scratch
  • Mr Scratch

Hungry like the wolf

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:20 PM Edited by VF94, 06 September 2013 - 07:20 PM.

Only if they do a complete 180 like Ubisoft Reflections did with Driver: San Francisco. Otherwise I don't see it happening.

• DarrinPA likes this

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:21 PM Edited by CryptReaperDorian, 06 September 2013 - 07:21 PM.

As much I don't like EA and Activision, I wouldn't mind seeing more people making GTA-like games (crime sandbox).  There really aren't enough of them.  I'd especially like to see a "GTA clone" that uses both first- and third-person views, and I'd love to see it using simulated ballistics along with a bit of micro-destruction.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:56 PM Edited by GTAvanja, 06 September 2013 - 07:57 PM.

Oh I'm going to disagree with you there. They know the gaming market, it's why they keep on making games that sell. Sure we don't like it, but they aren't stupid. They are going to continue making games in that series until the point that the series isn't popular anymore.

No. Their studios make good games when the publishers let them. The only thing EA and Activision suits know how to do is throw a lot of money on marketing campaigns. Too much money. If EA understood the video game market they wouldn't keep making the same mistakes over and over again that cost them valuable and respected studios.

They wouldn't copy trends. They would set new trends.

They run every studio to the ground. What's left aside from DICE, Maxis and a little bit of Bioware? And Activision doesn't give a sh*t. They let Blizzard do their thing. But everyone else gets the boot as soon as they're done with them.

• Moth, Secura and FRA1Z3R like this

FRA1Z3R
  • FRA1Z3R

Made in the '80s

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

I think they could gather the resources to do it, however, like mentioned earlier, the creative freedom is really lacking with EA and Activision. With Dice's frostbite engine, finding a studio to make some good gameplay would be the hardest part. Both companies will eventually have to realize that more creative freedom is necessary, because both companies are relying on deteriorating franchises, and I think they know it.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:30 PM

Well the big 'uns are certainly going for open-world for next-gen - The division, the crew and watch dogs from ubisoft, destiny and sunset overdrive from Microsoft, Mirror's Edge 2 from EA and then warner bros coming out with The Witcher 3 - though it does seem Microsoft and EA aren't going for 'GTA clones' as you called them ( lol ), but ubisoft is definitely leading here.

• FRA1Z3R likes this

The Killa
  • The Killa

Diet Water Please

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

Big publishers have been taking "stabs" at recreating GTA since GTA3. That game essentially revolutionized and set the standard for open-world action games, and it's become the norm ever since.

Sure, they're not making direct open-world crime "clones", per se (bar a few), but it's similarities have been abound for years.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

Quite right, the reason they excel in the FPS genre is because comparatively an FPS is piss easy to make, there's no way, even with their massive development houses that they could make a game even half as good as GTA V due to their absurd time constraints.

• FRA1Z3R likes this

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:24 AM

How could they? They can't make a game like that in a year or two and expect it to be any good.

I disagree. GTA III, VC, and SA were all about a year or two apart and look at how great those games were.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:49 AM

I disagree. GTA III, VC, and SA were all about a year or two apart and look at how great those games were.

They key word here being were. You couldn't make a game up to the standards of V or Red Dead Redemption in that time frame, Renderware is a simpler, less complex engine than RAGE and Euphoria, so you can't really use the III era games as a valid example here.

There is no way, you could pump out a game that would even halfway equal what Rockstar are attempting to achieve with GTA V, why? Because the game contains almost everything many of us long time GTA fans could want from a videogame. Anything else that tries to reach those heights just won't. The only time anyone gets into the freeroam market nowadays and succeeds is when it's been a while since the last GTA, Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row The Third were I believe the only two "big" (and I use that word very loosely) freeroam games that were pushed by their respective developers. 

Those games released three years after GTA IV, and even then they didn't sell too well. You don't get into the freeroam market without doing something special, the only conceivable way in which a company would try to brake in now is if they knew that they were offering something different. Take Specs Ops: The Line as an example here, they didn't try to out Call of Duty, Call of Duty or out Battlefield, Battlefield. Those games have their fanbases, and they won't shift when they know that the next annual installment in their favourite franchise is just around the corner, so what do you with a limited budget, and small scale development resources? You make a psychological thriller disguised as a modern military FPS. In short, you try to be clever about it. 

EA and Activision aren't clever, they aren't smart, they just rely on the massive IP's that they own to do their jobs for them. Activision will let Blizzard do its thing and allow Treyarch and Infinity Ward to pump out Call of Duty's to the end of time, EA will keep going on their myriad of great IP's and their horrendous business practices. They're too big, too large, too egomaniacal and too stupid to be clever, and at the end of the day, that is the sole thing that'll keep you alive against Rockstar's behemoths. In the end, innovation will always prevail in this specific genre, and both EA and Activision don't have any left in the bank.

• FRA1Z3R and Ermac. like this

OchyGTA
  • OchyGTA

Rap game GTA forums

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:06 AM

To be honest, it's going to be pretty difficult for any studio to make develop a franchise similar to GTA. 

A studio can't develop a game with similar mechanics art style or humor at risk of being labelled a copycat which probably wouldn't bode well for sales. You all know how fanboys are. To be honest, Saints Row had this problem up until SR3. It had to put itself so far out there (Over the top humor and violence, different mechanics) just to distance itself from the comparisons with GTA. 

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

I will turn your life upside down!

• The Yardies

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:23 AM

Nah EA and Activision get too lost in the pile of cash to create a great quality games. There might be a few gems but seriously..they have piles of cash just lying in their offices distracting them.

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:18 AM

They key word here being were. You couldn't make a game up to the standards of V or Red Dead Redemption in that time frame, Renderware is a simpler, less complex engine than RAGE and Euphoria, so you can't really use the III era games as a valid example here.

There is no way, you could pump out a game that would even halfway equal what Rockstar are attempting to achieve with GTA V, why? Because the game contains almost everything many of us long time GTA fans could want from a videogame.

Sure, new games are more complicated to make, but the reason for the long break between IV and V wasn't because they were working hard on it, they were working on expanding their portfolio of other games that most financial analysts see as failures. Sure RDR and MP3 were great games but they didn't sell like they were supposed to. Had V production started right after VI, we could have had a much smaller wait. THAT is what companies strive for, to make a hit game and capitalize on it. R* doesn't do it now, but it's not impossible. IF R* wanted to do GTA every 2 years, they could. And if EA or Activision had an openworld sandbox game worth releasing every year or two, they'd do it.

Secura
  • Secura

Fallen and Reborn

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:37 AM

Sure, new games are more complicated to make, but the reason for the long break between IV and V wasn't because they were working hard on it, they were working on expanding their portfolio of other games that most financial analysts see as failures. Sure RDR and MP3 were great games but they didn't sell like they were supposed to. Had V production started right after VI, we could have had a much smaller wait. THAT is what companies strive for, to make a hit game and capitalize on it. R* doesn't do it now, but it's not impossible. IF R* wanted to do GTA every 2 years, they could. And if EA or Activision had an openworld sandbox game worth releasing every year or two, they'd do it.

Yes, if they wanted to they could pump out a much less impressive game in two years then they could in five. When people have a GTA, why would they even want to buy another open world game? No that's not blatant fanboyism but a fact. GTA is the most loved, most well known and highly acclaimed open world game series on the planet. EA and Activision couldn't pump out a game that would equal V's content or detail in two years, it simply can't be done.

Something else that you're forgetting is that Rockstar have been working on V for around about five years, yes you could say that they were "more focused on expanding their portfolio of games" but in all honesty, GTA V has been in production since at least 2009, where Dan Houser alludes to the game's existence in an interview. I can't be bothered to find that right now, but I'm sure with a Google search or two you'd be able to find that on your own, anyway I'm digressing. GTA V is a conglomeration of the team's efforts over the last five years, and with every "expansion" to their gaming library they've learnt something new and found innovative ways to implement it into V. Let's not lie to ourselves and say that the reason that animals have made it into GTA V is due in no small part to Red Dead Redemption, or that the bullet time-esque abilities Michael posses weren't influenced in the slightest by Max Payne 3, every new game has just been more development time to Rockstar, so yes I'd make the argument that the five years between IV and V were spent (directly or indirectly) working on V in some way or another.

Lastly, regarding your statements that RDR and MP3 didn't sell as well as expected? Red Dead Redemption was a huge commercial success (a far large one than it was ever expected to be) and sold over  thirteen million copies world wide. And although Max Payne 3 was slightly less successful, Rockstar still made substantially higher than they expected to, with the game selling over four million copies since its release early last year. So no, we wouldn't have had a shorter wait, because these games sold well, it wasn't their sales that determined V's long development, it was their development that lead to V being pushed back, Rockstar want to ship a quality product and so they decided that they'd keep holding off until they knew that they'd learnt enough from all the games they'd developed to be able to revisit the GTA franchise once again.

In short, the five years that we've waited have been spent working on V, because everything Rockstar has done has lead them to this point, and it took them over five years to get there. Though don't misunderstand me, I know that given the chance EA and Activision would try to push out a GTA clone, but they don't now, nor will they ever have a chance to break into a GTA controlled market, that would be stupid, even stupider than the companies have proved themselves capable of being. They know that they can't compete, and although they could put out a GTA clone in half the time we waited, it would once again be mediocre at best and as a direct result not sell well at all.  

Cilogy
  • Cilogy

SILL•uh•jee

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:14 AM

But everything else, you got right.

Rather, they know exactly what strings to pull and what buttons to push to grab every trickling penny from consumers. Microtransactions abound; the Sims series is the perfect example.

TEoS
  • TEoS

We Do Not Sow

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:01 AM

Maybe I'm inventing this, but I'm pretty sure EA actually attempted a hostile takeover of Take-Two in order to get their grubby hands on Rockstar Games. So a crappy GTA pumped out every year was probably a very real possibility, and we'd be looking at GTA7: Ghost coming out in 2 weeks instead of GTA5. Scary thought.

• Chase177 and FRA1Z3R like this

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

@Lightning Strike - Yes EA and Activision couldn't make a GTA style game in two years unless they put in the 5 years needed to create a strong foundation - then they'd milk the game for all it's worth yearly or every 2 years by making small improvements.

As for R* taking there time. Yes, I also agree that RDR and MP3 was a part of the learning process and helped with the build of GTA V. But imagine if they never had to focus on anything but GTAV once IV was complete - that's what I believe could have shorten the time. It's something another company would have done. But R* chooses not to do that. It's probably better that they don't so they can learn new things and try them out before using it in their flagship series GTA. 

@TEoS - You are correct. But the one way that Sam and Dan protect themselves is by having a short contract with R* or T2. This is why you see a post every year or two that the Housers signed a new contract with R*/T2. It protects them incase of a take over. The new company would take over ownership of GTA and everything else BUT Sam and Dan's contract would expire relatively soon, giving them the right to go out and start a new company that would make great games under a new name.

FRA1Z3R
  • FRA1Z3R

Made in the '80s

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

LOL! So I guess the general consensus here is that even if EA or Activision tried, they would fail immensely. I do have to agree, although, if they got their act together, I think they could make An awesome open world sandbox game. Given EA and Activisions reputation, it does seem like it will never change.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Zaibatsu
  • Japan

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:41 PM

No, they won't do it. They are already busy with a lot of projects in all their large studios. Only way to do it would be to found a new studio, with a new team, and let them do it. 

All this EA hate is bullsh*t. They still make some quality titles, even their yearly iterations. And f*ck, both are huge companies, with a ton of shareholders. They can't just decide "Hey, let's clone GTA!". It doesn't work like that.

• Secura likes this

SFPD officer
  • SFPD officer

What do I look like I'm made of? Pudding?

• Members
  • Czech-Republic

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:49 PM Edited by SFPD officer, 07 September 2013 - 02:50 PM.

The Godfather and True Crime, anyone?

I think EA and Activision will try their luck in a year or two. Their new open world titles will be on next-gen consoles and they'll use SHINEY HIGHREZZ GRAFIX as their main selling point, however, they'll crash and burn horribly because of lack of depth, crappy and repetitive storylines and shallow and unispired setting.

It's a real shame, especially in The Godfather's case. Both The Godfather games came out during that short period of EA getting their act together and pushing for some rather innovative and riskier titles and I personally loved them. The Godfather II is one of my favorite games of this generation. However, EA version 2013 doesn't give me much hope that possible The Godfather III would be very good. I doubt it would even follow up on interesting concepts of The Godfather II and it would rather be a complete reboot.

What EA and Activision don't realize is that you can't beat GTA on it's own turf. It's too special, too refined, it has that "GTA magic". That's why the most successful and acclaimed sandbox titles other than GTA aren't even crime sandbox games. Assassin's Creed or Just Cause have nothing with common with GTA other than genre. The only rare exception to this rule is Saints Row, but even that series is completely different nowadays. And even though I love SR2, the last "GTA clone" in the series, I doubt it would have been as successful as it was if it faced GTA V instead of GTA IV, which left the "crazy and over-the-top crime sandbox" spot open for taking.

As for long development time, sure five years are a long time, but it will be worth it in the end. And it's not like RDR, L.A. Noire and MP3 weren't amazing games on their own. I like that R* are branching out. If I had to pick between "GTA V comes out in 2011, but R* won't release any other games, or just one" and "GTA V comes out in 2013, but R* releases three other kickass games", I would pick the second option every time.

Nuggets
  • Nuggets

SenseiKOFF

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

If they did, it would be as successful as SR series.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users