Quantcast

» «
Photo

Melee/hand To Hand Combat Has Me Concerned..

46 replies to this topic
TaviColen123
  • TaviColen123

Trollhater

• BUSTED!
  • Romania

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

I think its going to be like RDR fight mechanics.  In my opinion they were greatly improved from GTA 4.

Lol, no , they were absolute crap .

• Dbns_Finest likes this

PatrickJr.
  • PatrickJr.

SFM Artist

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:32 AM

I pretty sure they will be improved since GTA IV.

I hope so.

Lock N' Stock
  • Lock N' Stock

U WOT M8

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:40 AM Edited by Gst0395, 06 September 2013 - 11:43 AM.

Hand-to-hand combat in Rockstar's games as always been up and down. It was the best in games like Bully and The Warriors, with all kinds of punches and grapples to inflict. Concerning GTA games, San Andreas and Vice City Stories had the best hand-to-hand systems imo, considering you could use different fight styles, moves and grapples. GTA IV's was OKAY, it just felt so damn clunky and slow at times, stomping people was pretty inaccurate as well. Fighting two people at once is quite useless unless you have a knife or a baseball bat.

However, the WORST hand-to-hand system in any Rockstar game was definitely Red Dead Redemption, which was the ONLY thing I disliked about that game. I expected so much better but all you do is mash the right trigger button until your opponent falls to the ground, only for him to get back up about 5-10 seconds later and start trying to fight you again. There is no way to permanently keep him down unlike in their other games and the only way to end the fight is to run away, shoot him, or knock him into some nearby water. It really sucked. Manhunt had quite a poor hand-to-hand system as well, it was just a total button mashing fest and trying to fight two people at once was almost completely useless.

I'm hoping GTA V's fighting system is alot faster, has more variation of moves and doesn't feel weak or clunky like some of their recent games. I'm really hoping Michael, Franklin and Trevor all have different fighting styles, most likely they will.

• zzmorg82 likes this

girothefiro
  • girothefiro

O.G.

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:05 PM Edited by girothefiro, 06 September 2013 - 09:06 PM.

I'm concerned as well OP. You bring up an excellent point; all these different previews and not ONCE journalist thought to weapon wheel to the melee and find out about it? Not good.

Leads me to believe there is an embargo stopping previewers from mentioning it. Possibly because its essentially the same as before or possibly because its been completely overhauled.

highland0wolf
  • highland0wolf

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

Considering Trevors who special ability is based on being able to take more damage and dish more damage in hand to hand...I would assume it has been addressed somewhat.

Didn't they say back during the first reveal that they messed with it, but we shouldn't expect a complete overhaul like they did with the gunplay?

trevors ability isnt just hand to hand its also with guns

Vice Beach
  • Vice Beach

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

I think its going to be like RDR fight mechanics.  In my opinion they were greatly improved from GTA 4.

Is that a joke? RDR's fighting was god awful, worse then GTA IV, and GTA IV's hand to hand was pretty bad. The last time R*'s fighting system was top notch was The Warriors for PS2. If they brought that back and tweaked it into the HD realm it would be amazing. Grappling, throwing, destructible environment, objects on ground could be thrown, or as melee weapons. Smashing heads on walls, Kicking someone in the chest and sending them flying through a delapitated wall. Amazing.

I did like in GTA IV the punches to the face looked like they actually hurt. It was a pretty realistic feeling. RDR I didn't feel that, it felt like I was hitting a punching bag and not a human.

TheOtherRyan
  • TheOtherRyan

The American Dream

• Australia
  • Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

I think GTA SA had the best hand to hand and melee combat system with different fighting styles and the ability to block with the katana.

I didn't really like SA's. It always felt like CJ was a stick figure and it felt way too easy making fighting styles redundant.

Maybe GTA IV's had the tendency to be unresponsive at times, but it always felt like there was weight in Niko's punches. Didn't feel like that in SA IMO.

LiGzz
  • LiGzz

#RealNiggaShyt.

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:20 PM

Anyone remember a little-known, amazing  game called 'The Warriors' by R* in like 2004-5? 

IF they could do that, it would never get old. 

Vice Beach
  • Vice Beach

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

Anyone remember a little-known, amazing  game called 'The Warriors' by R* in like 2004-5? 

IF they could do that, it would never get old.

Grappling was a key component in the Warriors, and we do see Michael have that guy in kind of a grapple maneuver with a gun to his head after rappelling in, so grappling IS part of the game engine now, hopefully you can do it any time you approach someone from behind. If you can "hostage grab" in the game, then there's a couple ways to let them go, and throwing them should be one of them. I just wanna throw people off buildings or just into a bunch of trash cans in a street fight.

CRAZYGTASAINT
  • CRAZYGTASAINT

The Crazy GTA Saint

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

Dude, its called GUNS   :die:  :die:

InfernoV
  • InfernoV

Dont you just hate keyboard warriors!

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:43 PM

Gta vc stories had good hand 2 hand combat!

Vice Beach
  • Vice Beach

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

Dude, its called GUNS   :die:  :die:

By that rationale, they should remove walking/running on foot and replace it with a permanent Segway you have to ride.

OurMotherEarth
  • OurMotherEarth

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:55 PM

I hope they to melee combat from bully.

Vellocet
  • Vellocet

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

I Hope it is better than IV´s i didn´t hate IV hand to hand muh, but again it felt very glitchy, RDR hand to hand was a f*cking disaster, i think they forgot to remove the half assed hand combat and left there, you knocked out the guy 2 seconds later he´d be back up, you needed to punch him till he got into the water, or you should take your cattleman and blow his brains up, also you couldn´t fight with a knife as anyone would start to shot at you, i hope for V some more smooth and more options to knock people down.

theiceman13
  • theiceman13

Snitch

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

I think the combat should be similer to the warriors but more realistic and none of that stupid mad karate stuff unless the charecter is trained in that art, in the warriors, it was real time cuts and bruises.

Kreuzn
  • Kreuzn

Most Wanted

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

"Considering Trevors who special ability is based on being able to take more damage and dish more damage in hand to hand...I would assume it has been addressed somewhat.

Didn't they say back during the first reveal that they messed with it, but we shouldn't expect a complete overhaul like they did with the gunplay?"

I highly doubt Trevor knows how to fight better than Franklin. Franklin is from the streets, he has that street thug mentality.

If you ever went to prison you would not be afraid of a character like Trevor, you'd just think he's some crazy old guy and not pay him any mind.

But Franklin? He could possibly be in the bloods or the crips, he looks like he hits the weights everyday and has been in his fair share of street fights. You can have all the training you want, but it means nothing if you haven't ever been in a real street fight scenario.

Not only that but Franklin is the more imposing figure. He will definitely dish more damage and throw the more fluid punches and strikes.

Lol bullsh*t. I'd be a lot more scared to mess with a violent sociopath than I would someone like franklin. Even though franklins bigger and looks like he lifts, that doesn't mean sh*t. People like trevor have no remorse for their actions on other people, get enjoyment from violence, they're hair-triggered and unpredictable, and in some cases enjoy getting hurt. I mean sh*t look at trevor slamming his head into those wooden pallets in the official trailer, no f*cks given.

Trevor would be way more dangerous than franklin in a fight. Franklin, I'd picture myself getting the sh*t beat out of me. Trevor, I'd picture myself getting beat to death or at least to the point of irreversible damage with his bare hands.

rubix99
  • rubix99

Playa

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

RDR had decent enough hand to hand I thought.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=Jpeh0V2-nCY

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users