Quantcast

» «
Photo

Melee/hand To Hand Combat Has Me Concerned..

46 replies to this topic
girothefiro
  • girothefiro

O.G.

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:14 AM

None of the previews seem to mention anything about the melee combat since R* mentioned it would be free flow some weeks back. (I believe to CVG)

The hand to hand combat in R* games has always seemed a bit half arsed to me and am really hoping things have changed with V.

Have I missed any new info pertaining to the above?

It just seems odd we've heard next to nothing considering all the different mechanics they've showed off so far.

Maybe melee will be V's new feature so to speak with driving based on MCLA and shooting based on MP3.

I suppose not long to find out for myself now anyway.

CarRamrod224
  • CarRamrod224

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:21 AM

Im not worried mainly because I just shoot someone not try to beat them to death.

• Oso Flocka Flame likes this

Backfire6
  • Backfire6

༼ຈل͜ຈ༽

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:23 AM

There has already been a topic sbout this...

• Oso Flocka Flame likes this

Infinityfq
  • Infinityfq

Career Criminal

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:25 AM

GTA IV's hand-to-hand combat was really clunky, you couldn't even properly stomp someone on the ground.

I trust that they already improved it a lot, it doesn't have to be Sleeping Dogs combat.

Alec Skorpio
  • Alec Skorpio

Old Fart

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:27 AM

Considering Trevors who special ability is based on being able to take more damage and dish more damage in hand to hand...I would assume it has been addressed somewhat.

Didn't they say back during the first reveal that they messed with it, but we shouldn't expect a complete overhaul like they did with the gunplay?

ONEkingscar
  • ONEkingscar

The stealth toker

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:27 AM

I think GTA SA had the best hand to hand and melee combat system with different fighting styles and the ability to block with the katana.

TheKryptonite
  • TheKryptonite

The World is Yours

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:28 AM

It looked the same as GTA IV's H2H combat.

ArcaneKnight
  • ArcaneKnight

Unf*ckwitable

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:32 AM Edited by ArcaneKnight, 06 September 2013 - 03:34 AM.

"Considering Trevors who special ability is based on being able to take more damage and dish more damage in hand to hand...I would assume it has been addressed somewhat.

Didn't they say back during the first reveal that they messed with it, but we shouldn't expect a complete overhaul like they did with the gunplay?"

I highly doubt Trevor knows how to fight better than Franklin. Franklin is from the streets, he has that street thug mentality.

If you ever went to prison you would not be afraid of a character like Trevor, you'd just think he's some crazy old guy and not pay him any mind.

But Franklin? He could possibly be in the bloods or the crips, he looks like he hits the weights everyday and has been in his fair share of street fights. You can have all the training you want, but it means nothing if you haven't ever been in a real street fight scenario.

Not only that but Franklin is the more imposing figure. He will definitely dish more damage and throw the more fluid punches and strikes.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:34 AM

I'm concerned as well OP. You bring up an excellent point; all these different previews and not ONCE journalist thought to weapon wheel to the melee and find out about it? Not good.

Dan McChill
  • Dan McChill

Grove Street's Keeper

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:35 AM

I remember in IV when the opponent was groggy, you missed every punch. Hopefully, this has been fixed and improved overall.

Grrrr
  • Grrrr

Drunk Russian

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:37 AM Edited by Grrrr, 06 September 2013 - 03:38 AM.

"Considering Trevors who special ability is based on being able to take more damage and dish more damage in hand to hand...I would assume it has been addressed somewhat.
Didn't they say back during the first reveal that they messed with it, but we shouldn't expect a complete overhaul like they did with the gunplay?"

I highly doubt Trevor knows how to fight better than Franklin. Franklin is from the streets, he has that street thug mentality.

If you ever went to prison you would not be afraid of a character like Trevor, you'd just think he's some crazy old guy and not pay him any mind.

But Franklin? He could possibly be in the bloods or the crips, he looks like he hits the weights everyday and has been in his fair share of street fights. You can have all the training you want, but it means nothing if you haven't ever been in a real street fight scenario.

Not only that but Franklin is the more imposing figure. He will definitely dish more damage and throw the more fluid punches and strikes.

Yea because a thug can beat up a ex military any day right?

DarkFalcon95
  • DarkFalcon95

Thug

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:37 AM

Not really a hand to hand combat guy in GTA, but I can understand people's concerns.

Wolfe19
  • Wolfe19

Snitch

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:39 AM

Back in the GI Preview they said that it will be improved, but not overhauled like the gunplay. ^ like Liquid said.

rela82me
  • rela82me

Three Point One Four

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:39 AM

None of the previews seem to mention anything about the melee combat since R* mentioned it would be free flow some weeks back. (I believe to CVG)

The hand to hand combat in R* games has always seemed a bit half arsed to me and am really hoping things have changed with V.

Have I missed any new info pertaining to the above?

It just seems odd we've heard next to nothing considering all the different mechanics they've showed off so far.

Maybe melee will be V's new feature so to speak with driving based on MCLA and shooting based on MP3.

I suppose not long to find out for myself now anyway.

I think it will be fine, they really can ONLY improve the GTA IV melee.  RDR was okay, but I hope that it got better from there. However, melee has never been that important.  What is more important to me is while using a bat, and or dildo being more 'smooth'

tinman187
  • tinman187

DoUgHbOi

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:40 AM

Hand to hand combat has always been average in GTA games, which is why I've never really cared about it. Although I still wish R* would improve upon it. 

KemistiOMG
  • KemistiOMG

Science, Bitch!

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:48 AM

maybe they've upgraded it so much, that they want it to be surprise for everyone. (good to live in hope)

TheKryptonite
  • TheKryptonite

The World is Yours

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:01 AM

I'd love if the fighting system was like Sleeping Dogs.

DaRkL3AD3R
  • DaRkL3AD3R

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:04 AM

I'd love if the fighting system was like Sleeping Dogs.

While I respect your opinion, I have to disagree with you. Sleeping Dogs is borderline Saints Row in the far-fetchedness and ridiculousness. The combat made me feel like I was a better brawler than Batman.

Now drag that fighting system to GTA and imagine Michael brawling better than Batman and you get the picture why that's a fail idea...

• THE DRAGOON likes this

THE DRAGOON
  • THE DRAGOON

He'll be a god to them.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:05 AM Edited by SideburnGuru, 06 September 2013 - 04:07 AM.

I don't even want Sleeping Dogs combat. 

I just want a combat system that includes some new updates. Be able to counter better. Better hits in general. Be able to have a heavy hitter, and a lighter hit even. I'd be happy with that. Make it so it's YOUR fault if you get hit or miss. 

Let me take on two people at once, and not get my ass handed to me. Damn. I like brawling. I wanted to fight in depth online. Brawling is a huge thing in the streets, it should be here.  

I want the enviroment to also come into play. I don't want to be a martial arts pro, but I don't want to be street stupid. If there's a wall right beside the guy? Let me grab him, slam him into the brick wall, and punch him in the face to knock him out. Or if he's groggy, let me slam it into the wall. If there's a street pole? Let me grab his arm and whip it into the pole, making him run away. If there's an edge right near the guy? Let me push him off. 

The fact I was standing right beside brick walls on GTA sadden me that I wasn't able to knock them out like that. Even more so in the Fight Club, that I couldn't slam a guy's face into the chains and rub his face on the wire. 

• zzmorg82 and Hover_Mode like this

TravÝs.
  • TravÝs.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:28 AM Edited by legend9090, 06 September 2013 - 04:37 AM.

I would be happy if it were like Read dead redemption, Except instead of them just getting knocked out for a few seconds repeatedly, Maybe they should just get knocked out once, get back up, and if you do it again, they die.

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

Resident Actor, Dancer, and Singer

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:46 AM

It looked the same as GTA IV's H2H combat.

We haven't even seen the GTA V hand to hand yet.

0casper0
  • 0casper0

Lets go bowling

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:48 AM

I don't really  care about it, only time I've used combat in IV was when I wanted to push someone off from a height or something...

jnasty919
  • jnasty919

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:48 AM

Considering Trevors who special ability is based on being able to take more damage and dish more damage in hand to hand...I would assume it has been addressed somewhat.

Didn't they say back during the first reveal that they messed with it, but we shouldn't expect a complete overhaul like they did with the gunplay?

His special ability will also allow to him to take half damage from bullets / fire as well as deal double damage with his bullets / melee allowing you to get out of a tight situation should you find your self near death or overwhelmed by the AI

Gigabomber
  • Gigabomber

Infinite Ammo Amorous

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:03 AM Edited by Gigabomber, 06 September 2013 - 06:07 AM.

I'm concerned as well OP. You bring up an excellent point; all these different previews and not ONCE journalist thought to weapon wheel to the melee and find out about it? Not good.

I blame poor journalism.

Wiseguy_Tony
  • Wiseguy_Tony

Los Santos Punishers

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:21 AM

I've seen gifs of Trevor throwing some mean looking punches so I'm hopeful that it will actually be fun to use this time. I'd at least like a grapple system to throw people hard into traffic or take them to the ground for a Bully / Warriors style combo.

IV's was always frustrating to me. I'd just rather take out a bat or shoot them with a gun.

Sons Of Anarchy AU
  • Sons Of Anarchy AU

Founder Sons of Anarchy AU Crew

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:37 AM

I've seen gifs of Trevor throwing some mean looking punches so I'm hopeful that it will actually be fun to use this time. I'd at least like a grapple system to throw people hard into traffic or take them to the ground for a Bully / Warriors style combo.

IV's was always frustrating to me. I'd just rather take out a bat or shoot them with a gun.

I would have to agree, given the hype about multi player and stuff you would be silly to want to try and melee someone who would be smarter to just shoot or whack you. However if you were able to knife someone in the back for an instant kill etc or cut their throat from behind i think that would be kinda cool lol 

ArcaneKnight
  • ArcaneKnight

Unf*ckwitable

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

I would have to agree, given the hype about multi player and stuff you would be silly to want to try and melee someone who would be smarter to just shoot or whack you. However if you were able to knife someone in the back for an instant kill etc or cut their throat from behind i think that would be kinda cool lol 

Are you forgetting about the fight club? Kind of pointless to have a fight club in your game with repetitive strikes and fighting moves don't you think?

I could see an online Fight Club being pretty popular in a run down parking lot under a freeway overpass with cars lined up in a circle. But the only way this would be cool is if they completely revamp the melee H2H combat system.

ASIAN LAWYER
  • ASIAN LAWYER

Trick

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

The hand to hand combat in R* games has always seemed a bit half arsed to me

bully and the warriors had a very good combat engine!

Pong Lenis
  • Pong Lenis

íHasta la victoria, siempre!

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

GTA IV wasn't the worst hand to hand combat game out there, it could be kinda fun. You could duck under punches and do a counter attack with a combo ending in a kick to the head or a uppercut, and you could also easily stomp on their head when they went down.. Fun and macabre if you know how to use the system :)

But offcourse it was very clumsy and often hard to use the combat system so hoping for a much better one in V.. 

b1baller
  • b1baller

It's Just a Fourm.. Its Not That Serious

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

I think its going to be like RDR fight mechanics.  In my opinion they were greatly improved from GTA 4.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users