Quantcast

» «
Photo

The New GTAForums

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
980 replies to this topic

Poll: Like or Hate (523 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like the new update?

1. Yes (199 votes [38.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.05%

2. No (210 votes [40.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.15%

3. Undecided (42 votes [8.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.03%

4. Indifferent (19 votes [3.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.63%

5. Waiting Until Bugs are fixed (53 votes [10.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.13%

Vote
Twang.
  • Twang.

[^lvl][25/8] Come up and get me.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:58 PM

I like that you kept the same blue color.

Are pre-update quotes gonna be f*cked up forever or are there plans to retrofit them so they aren't so confusing?

Either way, I generally like the new stuff. Looks like a work in progress, but I have a bit of faith you guys will get it done. :^:

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Rising from the ashes

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

New layout isn't as tough to figure out as some members think. Though the looks are not as good as the previous version, it is still WIP. I'm already liking it for the way it is (except for the wasted right side and absence of subscribed topics in the left side bar.) So many cool new features, it's great!

Cuban800
  • Cuban800

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

It looks good, but i think it will take me a while to get used to it. 

Andreas
  • Andreas

• V Staff
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

I'm slowly getting used to the new design and all the other significant changes. I liked it from the beginning on, but it's not as complexe as it seemed to be at first. If you spend a few hours with browsing the forums, you will start figuring out how things work.

• Cuban800 likes this

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

I'm slowly getting used to the new design and all the other significant changes. I liked it from the beginning on, but it's not as complexe as it seemed to be at first. If you spend a few hours with browsing the forums, you will start figuring out how things work.

I agree, I'm so used to it now, its great. Earlier I was lost, couldn't find anything etc but now I'm as comfortable as ever :)

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

*blows up cars with RPG*

• V Staff
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:17 PM Edited by WildBrick142, 06 September 2013 - 08:18 PM.

I agree, I'm so used to it now, its great. Earlier I was lost, couldn't find anything etc but now I'm as comfortable as ever :)

Same here. I was making rant after rant when forum updated and now afer 5+ hours of hanging around the forums, I got a litte bit used to it and know my way around.

Spoiler

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:20 PM

Same here. I was making rant after rant when forum updated and now afer 5+ hours of hanging around the forums, I got a litte bit used to it and know my way around.

Spoiler

Yeah, its great but I shouldn't have spent about 6 hours waiting for it yesterday :lol:

EQUIN0X
  • EQUIN0X

Above The Rain

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:31 PM

I've been part of various message boards for 15 years. I noticed they all die off heavily after a major interface change like this one. 

This is how you kill a forum guys.

I've seen this happen with other forums too (that got thousands of visitors a day). People leave due to the layout being all messed up thanks to a completely pointless change. No matter the amount of "bug fixing" changes that.

I honestly have less motivation to come here now. The layout is just a buzzkill and, quite frankly, it just sucks.

I know it's not going to happen but I wish we could petition for a revert to the old forums. Don't fix what isn't broken. No one wanted a new forum (or at least not a majority), and it was not needed. It worked fine the way it was.

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Rising from the ashes

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:34 PM

What are you talking about? I'm not leaving and I will be happy if some of the other members leave.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• V Staff
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA Online]
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Top c*nt 👍

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

I would like if your signature showed up when you are viewing your profile etc..

Fedor
  • Fedor

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

I think it looks amazing. I was shocked to see so many "No" votes. Ignore those, please. This place looks better now than it ever did before.

EQUIN0X
  • EQUIN0X

Above The Rain

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:40 PM Edited by EQUIN0X, 06 September 2013 - 08:40 PM.

@deepthroatgta6

But many people will be turned off by it and will have less motivation to come back, maybe eventually just stop coming back altogether.

New users will find everything too complex and will most likely leave before getting to know how everything works. The old layout was very user friendly, it was easy to figure out. This new one looks like YouTube/Facebook combined. Way too much useless crap. It's all clogged together in a dull greyish blue color, nothing looks very appealing.

Not to mention it's very slow.

I have to ask honestly: WHY was this needed at all? Old forum worked for 12 years, why change it?

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Rising from the ashes

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:50 PM

Because it used to f*ck up when under heavy traffic and it was too patched to edit and it was old!

I didn't find it slow but I agree how it is not so good in the looks department. Functionality and feature wise, it is rich and I found it easy to figure out after a few hours.

EQUIN0X
  • EQUIN0X

Above The Rain

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

Who cares how old it was, it worked just fine and there was no reason to screw everything up just because it was bad under heavy traffic.

I'm sorry, but this is just terrible. I've dealt with it for a few hours now and I still don't like it. I want the old forums back.

But they're not. So now we're stuck with this mess.

And, of course, it has to happen just before GTA V releases. Fantastic.

Mince
  • Mince

Mnage trois

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

That can be solved easily via custom CSS:

#gtaf_rightColumn {
display: none !important;
}

Just wanted to say thanks a lot for this! There's still a bit of space on the right side, but you get plenty of it back when you use this bit of CSS to disable the sidebar. I would recommend that anyone that doesn't like the righthand sidebar use this.

Do you think it would be possible to have a custom "rollback" version of the site that would bring back the old look? I know people have done this with YouTube and other sites in the past.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

@deepthroatgta6

But many people will be turned off by it and will have less motivation to come back, maybe eventually just stop coming back altogether.

New users will find everything too complex and will most likely leave before getting to know how everything works. The old layout was very user friendly, it was easy to figure out. This new one looks like YouTube/Facebook combined. Way too much useless crap. It's all clogged together in a dull greyish blue color, nothing looks very appealing.

Not to mention it's very slow.

I have to ask honestly: WHY was this needed at all? Old forum worked for 12 years, why change it?

At the moment they will be turned off by it because they are not used to the new design but if they did manage to stick around for a short while they may change their opinions like I did. It's a great design really.

Complex is not really the word to describe the new forum, there is a lot more features available but its not complex at all, in fact the post tools are simpler in my opinion. The "dull greyish blue color" is the forums main color that has been part of the forums for the 12 years before the change, just a minor change in that its not a patterned background.

The forum is not slow to me at all, I have managed to go through topics replying with ease over the last few hours, I have not had much issues yet (other than the occasional 502 and 522 errors).

Finally, the old forum may have seemed fine to you but behind the scenes it wasn't all great. The Admin CP had deteriorated, the servers crashed when there were lots of members online and there were a lot of bugs, particularly the last few months. Enjoy the forums as it is now, the admins worked hard on it and you should respect that :^:

Miro
  • Miro

Time Killa

• Zaibatsu
  • Romania
  • GTANet Contribution Award [Newbie Guide]
    Most Improved 2010

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

I do agree that the new forums are extremely modified, but I swear, once you get used to them, they turn awesome. Though, many things seem to have disappeared from the old one. Personally, I'd like the old skin back if possible. I always used the default one. I'm not saying that the new skin ain't nice, it's awesome, but I'd like the old one back, as an option.

Other than that, I'll have to ask staff a bunch of things about this. Time to re-wind my whole knowledge about this place. Awesome work, staff. :^:

Fedor
  • Fedor

Crackhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

This place averages like 500+ active members at a time. I don't think a decrease in activity is something anyone really needs to worry about. Especially with GTA5 coming out soon. We know the activity will only pick up when that happens. Activity shouldn't be a concern at all.

Plus, if people join this website and they're so negative and lazy towards getting used to the format, is that really the kind of members we want here anyways? I don't think so.

The admins did a great job with the changes. Give it a little time and I guarantee a lot of the "No" voters will change their minds.

Original Light
  • Original Light

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

The signature size limit is still the same, right? Or has it been increased?

EQUIN0X
  • EQUIN0X

Above The Rain

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

At the moment they will be turned off by it because they are not used to the new design but if they did manage to stick around for a short while they may change their opinions like I did. It's a great design really.

Complex is not really the word to describe the new forum, there is a lot more features available but its not complex at all, in fact the post tools are simpler in my opinion. The "dull greyish blue color" is the forums main color that has been part of the forums for the 12 years before the change, just a minor change in that its not a patterned background.

The forum is not slow to me at all, I have managed to go through topics replying with ease over the last few hours, I have not had much issues yet (other than the occasional 502 and 522 errors).

Finally, the old forum may have seemed fine to you but behind the scenes it wasn't all great. The Admin CP had deteriorated, the servers crashed when there were lots of members online and there were a lot of bugs, particularly the last few months. Enjoy the forums as it is now, the admins worked hard on it and you should respect that :^:

1. I've tried for hours to get used to it. It sucks. Just because you have gotten used to it doesn't mean others will, or even should.

2. The color on the old forum was much better, and much more varied. When you quote someone now, you can barely tell the posts apart. Everything is the virtually the same color. Not to mention some of the changes. I can't even use my old avatar now.

3. Other users have reported it to be slow as well. Perhaps it's for certain people but on my end, it's not as fast as the old forum. 

4. Well, I don't enjoy it. And I will not respect it, because the change was unnecessary. Hard work on something should not gain respect if the end result is crap.

I'm sorry, I'm normally not so vicious with my opinions and don't go off into diatribes, but this forum change, to be blunt, just pissed me off.

I have less motivation to come here now. And it's a shame, because I love this forum. And whether you like me or not is irrelevant. It's that I, as a long time fan of GTA, should be able to come here and discuss it. By having this forum change and basically telling people to like or shut up, you're pushing people away.

I'm probably still going to come here just for news and to talk, but I'm not happy with this change at all.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:12 PM Edited by GTAKid667, 06 September 2013 - 09:26 PM.

The signature size limit is still the same, right? Or has it been increased?

Yes it is still 500x150

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Rising from the ashes

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:12 PM Edited by deepthroatgta6, 06 September 2013 - 09:14 PM.

@gtakid Not just that, we are getting notifications when quoted, auto resizing of images, 500 pm capacity, better text editing options, bigger avatars and IMO a cleaner interface. You can always avoid the social networking things if you don't like it. Nothing is forced upon you like most other forums where you have to have certain number of posts and such to be able to post in other areas or be able to have a sig, etc.

I dislike the staff here but I like the community and the site interface that is helping it interact in more ways than just posts.

yojo2
  • yojo2

~y

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Poland
  • Best Poster [Tech] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Tech] 2013
    Helpfulness Award

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:24 PM

Do you think it would be possible to have a custom "rollback" version of the site that would bring back the old look? I know people have done this with YouTube and other sites in the past.

I'd say it's next to impossible given the amount of things changed. It'd require much more effort than it's worth.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:26 PM

1. I've tried for hours to get used to it. It sucks. Just because you have gotten used to it doesn't mean others will, or even should.

2. The color on the old forum was much better, and much more varied. When you quote someone now, you can barely tell the posts apart. Everything is the virtually the same color. Not to mention some of the changes. I can't even use my old avatar now.

3. Other users have reported it to be slow as well. Perhaps it's for certain people but on my end, it's not as fast as the old forum. 

4. Well, I don't enjoy it. And I will not respect it, because the change was unnecessary. Hard work on something should not gain respect if the end result is crap.

I'm sorry, I'm normally not so vicious with my opinions and don't go off into diatribes, but this forum change, to be blunt, just pissed me off.

I have less motivation to come here now. And it's a shame, because I love this forum. And whether you like me or not is irrelevant. It's that I, as a long time fan of GTA, should be able to come here and discuss it. By having this forum change and basically telling people to like or shut up, you're pushing people away.

I'm probably still going to come here just for news and to talk, but I'm not happy with this change at all.

1. The point I was trying to make is, when you signed up for GTAForums for the first time, you had to get used to the old skin and find your way around, its the same for this theme, it may not seem normal obviously but 'practice makes perfect', if you keep going on the forums browsing, you will get used to it like you did with the old one.

2. Yes, the color was better on the old forum but it doesn't mean the forum was, does it? Plus, the moderators could change this at any time, if you are not happy, make a topic in the Site Suggestions forum.

3. The forum is still in work in progress, the forum also usually averaged about 2400 members online, it has been a lot more the past few days. Just be patient on this one issue and the admins will probably find a way to speed it up, have faith in them  :)

4. You are not obliged to respect it, I am just saying 'Tank and Crew' spent the whole day of their time doing this for you, me, all members. To say its rubbish is quite insulting to these people.

Again, its all your opinion, i'm not saying you should like it or shut up, I was sharing my opinion and I'd like you to understand that, I have let you share your point of few without slating all points you made.

@gtakid Not just that, we are getting notifications when quoted, auto resizing of images, 500 pm capacity, better text editing options, bigger avatars and IMO a cleaner interface. You can always avoid the social networking things if you don't like it. Nothing is forced upon you like most other forums where you have to have certain number of posts and such to be able to post in other areas or be able to have a sig, etc.

I dislike the staff here but I like the community and the site interface that is helping it interact in more ways than just posts.

Ah, I see, Thanks for sharing  :^:

And the staff aren't bad at all, they are part of the community, they help keep it all in order, no matter how harsh they may seem  :)

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Rising from the ashes

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:33 PM

The staff do their job alright but they are a bunch of trolls.

O.T. The "go to first unread post" shouldn't disappear after clicking, I used to use it to refresh for new replies. There is the '1 new reply has been added" notification but doesn't look like it is working 100%.  

GTA4L1fe
  • GTA4L1fe

Outlaws till the end

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:34 PM Edited by GTA4L1fe, 06 September 2013 - 09:38 PM.

Ah, If I gotta be honest I prefer the old layout. That was GTAForums, this doesn't really feel like it. It's a pain in the ass browsing it on mobile devices.

An option to switch back to "classic" would be gold.

Kevstyle
  • Kevstyle

True City Killers Crew Leader

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:35 PM Edited by Kevstyle, 06 September 2013 - 09:35 PM.

I love it but I need to get used to it and some bugs need to be fixed asap.

​But please, Add an option for our old layout also. I bet its possible :D

adamcs
  • adamcs

Pixelante

• United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for all the feedback.

A few things we're working on:
- Improved colour scheme/contrast
- Clearer separation between posts
- More efficient use of space + making posts wider
- Flags
- Table BBCode markup

We appreciate that there was a lot of nostalgia attached to the old forum, however it had a lot of ongoing technical challenges that were only getting worse as time went on. It may have appeared OK on the surface, but behind the scenes it was unstable and insecure. That was the primary reason for this upgrade.

We will also aim to port over some of the old themes, but at the moment it's low on the priority list.
  • Knife, Moth, Girish and 3 others like this

BlackRuiner
  • BlackRuiner

Snitch

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:43 PM

no, it looks like a total piece of sh*t & its glitchy. what f*cking idiot decided to change the layout? lol this forum is so sh*tty i dont even wanna use it.

• Deadly Target likes this

Moth
  • Moth

Baka Senpai

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Canada

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:46 PM Edited by The General, 06 September 2013 - 09:46 PM.

Adamcs, what about allowing spell check to work in the reply box? And why the f*ck are you in the mod group?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users