Quantcast

» «
Photo

The New GTAForums

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
980 replies to this topic

Poll: Like or Hate (523 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like the new update?

1. Yes (199 votes [38.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.05%

2. No (210 votes [40.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.15%

3. Undecided (42 votes [8.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.03%

4. Indifferent (19 votes [3.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.63%

5. Waiting Until Bugs are fixed (53 votes [10.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.13%

Vote
Frantz Fuchs
  • Frantz Fuchs

640509-040147

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

What.. happened?!

Sundowner
  • Sundowner

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:51 PM Edited by Sundowner, 06 September 2013 - 03:01 PM.

Everything just blends in with each other it's horrible.  :sui:

With the new layout information is presented in an ineffective way - you have to scroll a lot and you can't operate the forum as fast as the old one - at least that's my opinion. quotes are pretty hard to read also - as already mentioned: it blends and information is lost :(

I have to admit that I'm no graphic whore - keep it a plain and simple style, with good contrasts and lots of information on screen - so that I don't have to scroll around all the time...

maybe add the opportunity to deactivate avatar pictures, like it was in the old style

86284.strip.gif

cheers

The Gardener
  • The Gardener

jebeno isti

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

I voted no because my iPod can't really handle it, but it could handle the old one. The mobile version is also poor.

But my mind changed when I got home and got onto my PC. It's great, I like it. Lots of new details and options here and there.

fgcarva1
  • fgcarva1

Il Figlioccio

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

I'm sure we'll all get used to these new forums. I don't like them right now because of the respect system... it's just flawed. We're gonna have respect whores all the time. I'd just rather use a Karma system managed by staff or display people's post counts... all the users that have been here for years and contributed are now just noobs essentially.

Mister Kay
  • Mister Kay

Rising from the ashes

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

I voted no because my iPod can't really handle it, but it could handle the old one. The mobile version is also poor.

But my mind changed when I got home and got onto my PC. It's great, I like it. Lots of new details and options here and there.

Same goes for me, except that I voted yes because my phone might just handle it IF I keep the sidebar closed and the admins move that gtav.net ad on the top or bottom instead of the right side.

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

*blows up cars with RPG*

• V Staff
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:07 PM Edited by WildBrick142, 06 September 2013 - 03:08 PM.

No. I absulotely hate it. I understand that admins put hard work into this and I respect it but everything is so f*cked up that I can't really catch up and my PSP won't load the forum because it is overloaded with all the new design.

Suggestions:

• Bring back ME tags
  • Bring back old "Ph34r" Emoticon
  • Bring back Forum options - Alloe change to how much posts display or return to original 20.
  • Allow using the stuff on top of editor in the BBcode setting.
  • Bring back Medals and pips.
  • Add the option to set if you want to show "Edited by -user-" if 5 minutes didn't pass
  • Bring back Join Date.
  • Bring back skin options
  • Possibility of making the old design?

What I like:

• Friends system
  • "Respect +"
  • Multiquote
  • Remove vote on polls
  • Bigger font... 48, yo :beerhat:
  • Posibly the reporting system... DIdn;t have the chance to test it yet.
  • Auto-save

XxPhillies26xX
  • XxPhillies26xX

"The future is in your hands"

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

I just would like to say thank you Mods and the staff who created the GTA forums update. I think its really great with the nice slick design. Its running great on my PC so far I haven't had any slow loading. 

Your dedication to the GTA forums has been nothing but fantastic and I couldn't been any happier to be apart of this forum as a GTA fan. I am proud of all of you. Keep up the good work and lets bring on September 17th already. :D  :^:

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

Shut up, Sit down and Relax

• V Staff
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA Online]
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Top c*nt 👍

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:27 PM

I would prefer if the sidebar was there IMO, other than that its cool, I like the way avatars have now been increased in size

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica
  • Most Valuable Player 2014
    Contribution Award [Sports]
    Most Skilled Player 2013
    Best Event 2013 "GTAF Gang League 2013"
    Most Valuable Player 2012
    Best Contributor [Multiplayer] 2012
    Most Valuable Player 2011
    Winner of World Cup 2010 Prediction League
    Best Event 2010 "GTAF Gang League 2010"
    Most Valuable Player 2010
    Best Team Player 2010

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

I would prefer if the sidebar was there IMO, other than that its cool, I like the way avatars have now been increased in size

It is there, just press the 2 arrows button.

leaflinks
  • leaflinks

Peon

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

I don't like it. I was trying to change the layout in the settings. :sigh:

Chad Warden
  • Chad Warden

goes by many different names

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:33 PM

I loved the previous forums and thought they worked well. This new forum looks like the forum completely flipped itself over. I love this website either way but this looks really weird.

jesse
  • jesse

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

In this case, I think change looks good.  Well done everyone!

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:41 PM Edited by GTAKid667, 06 September 2013 - 04:44 PM.

Ok, so I love the change and thank the admins for doing such a great job. However, there are a few things I dislike at the moment but I guess that is due to me not being used to it :^:

eyefork
  • eyefork

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:44 PM

The actual design of the forums was done well, I just do not prefer it. I guess my biggest beef is that everything looks huge. In the old forums I was using the red/black/grey theme and the font and post sizes were small and wonderful. I also liked the contrasting colors, the current colors are all very similar to each other.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• V Staff
  • Ireland
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Top c*nt 👍

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:49 PM

It is there, just press the 2 arrows button.

Never seen that, Thanks!

Kalvin.
  • Kalvin.

--------------

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:51 PM Edited by Kalvin., 06 September 2013 - 04:41 PM.

I'm fine with the new forum layout, although I do prefer the old one over this one, this new layout looks too plain for my liking.

I do like the new additions though, such as the respect system, the "your friends" on your profile, the who last visited your profile and more, although in my honest opinion none of those things are needed.. For example the respect system, that can oh so very easily be abused, as I've seen, with people having 400+ respect on their profile.

If there was an option to change over to the old layout (like a skin, with the same features but the old design) I would definitely go on that straight away.

• Jestic, Moth, GTARandom and 1 other like this

Forzum
  • Forzum

Fossy

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:52 PM Edited by Forzum, 06 September 2013 - 03:52 PM.

As of now, no. Everything seems zoomed in, I would like the comments boxes etc to be much more smaller, if it would be like that then I think it would look a lot better and problaby a lot better than the previous design.

Bobbin100
  • Bobbin100

I like trains. Do you?

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:52 PM

The right bar needs to go. It just shrinks the main part of the forums. Not iphone friendly at all.

Matty
  • Matty

Wiseguy

• Australia

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:54 PM

The right bar needs to go. It just shrinks the main part of the forums. Not iphone friendly at all.

You can collapse the sidebar if you wish - just click on the arrow that points to it (looks like a "<<") :)

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

You can collapse the sidebar if you wish - just click on the arrow that points to it (looks like a "<<") :)

I believe he said 'Right Bar' DTU, the sidebar you are talking about is on the left ;)

Matty
  • Matty

Wiseguy

• Australia

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:01 PM Edited by DTUMan, 06 September 2013 - 04:03 PM.

I believe he said 'Right Bar' DTU, the sidebar you are talking about is on the left ;)

Yes, correct. Well, that's embracing. :p

It's late.

Edit: Hopefully a collapse option is added for the right sidebar as well; or its contents is at least positioned to the top of the forum, as it used to be. :)

• Mince likes this

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:09 PM Edited by NYC PATROL, 06 September 2013 - 04:10 PM.

As of now, no. Everything seems zoomed in, I would like the comments boxes etc to be much more smaller, if it would be like that then I think it would look a lot better and problaby a lot better than the previous design.

I agree. Besides the post boxes, some things kind of feel IN YOUR FACE. It's a combination of the font and size of the columns etc.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:11 PM

Yes, correct. Well, that's embracing. :p

It's late.

Edit: Hopefully a collapse option is added for the right sidebar as well; or its contents is at least positioned to the top of the forum, as it used to be. :)

Haha no worries. And, I too hope it is positioned better (or removable) as you said.

Bobbin100
  • Bobbin100

I like trains. Do you?

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:12 PM Edited by Bobbin100, 06 September 2013 - 04:15 PM.

Oh... I can see that on my iphone, thanks. Much better now.

Edit: Yes I was talking about the right bar, but it's all good.

theiceman13
  • theiceman13

Snitch

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

Bring back the old one, it was a lot more comfortable and had every gta labled, this one is all over the place...i hate changes

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

Bring back the old one, it was a lot more comfortable and had every gta labled, this one is all over the place...i hate changes

I do agree that it was more comfortable but I am sure that we will get used to this one. Plus, I'm sure the admins aren't entirely finished updating the site, they will probably tweak a few things sooner or later. :^:

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• V Staff
  • Ireland
    April Fools Winner 2015
    Top c*nt 👍

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:20 PM Edited by gtavpoliceimprovements, 06 September 2013 - 04:24 PM.

Are the avatars 80x80 or bigger now?

Also, when can we change our names?

SmC12
  • SmC12

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:25 PM

I think for many of us it's just the sudden change that is surprising and takes a while to adjust. For example, I completely hated the updated YouTube layout with the content all the way to the left and nothing on the right - I hated it! But now I am used to the design and I'm able to use the site just as easily as before. Change takes getting used to, and this drastic overhaul is certainly no exception. 

As for my opinion on the design, I'm not too sure what to think. This is not really anything to do with the admins of the site, besides adding more themes and customising certain features, but most IPB boards have a similar look - the 'Web 2.0' look; flashy buttons, lots of gradients, bold fonts, mobile and share functionality etc. None of these are particuarly a bad thing, but I think the old GTAF look was simplistic, not distracting, not boring, but unique and easy to navigate. It's weird, but I feel lost now, despite visiting this forum every single day. Suddenly it's like I don't know the place at all, or the members. Again, the design just takes some getting used to for the most part, and by god is it an improvement in terms of functionality and I'm sure behind-the-scenes too since the duct tape can finally be replaced with something more sturdy! 

There are many things I do like however, one of which I just noticed when writing this - the reply notification. This will prove to be an extremely useful feature. There's nothing worse than spending 10 minutes answering a question only to submit and then realise 5 other people have said the exact same thing. It will definately cut the amount of repeat-info spam in the V section for sure. Also the respect system is nice - will be abused like hell though - and ties in nicely with the commendations and medals (those aren't gone?) to better distinguish the helpful people in the community. There's a ton of other improvements, such as the better post box which has useful features (although no preview, unless I'm missing it) like bulleted lists and tables, although I'm quite old-skool in that I prefer to mess with the code, but I know many people don't and so this makes the forum more accessible. Although an HTML editor would be cool to allow more advanced customisation in posts, such as setting image size without having to edit in PS first, position content more effectively as well as other features such as removing text-decoration on links to get rid of that horrible yellow underline like in my sig. 

Overall the forum definately needed an upgrade and this is a huge improvement in many ways. It seems for many people the only real complaint is aethetics more than anything else, and it has already been stated that things are still work in progress. Also, considering the last forum had so many tweaks it almost buckled at the knees, we can't expect too much so soon. I'd imagine some tweaks will be applied to this version also over the next few months to help bring back that unique GTAF style instead of the generic 'Web 2.0' that most forums unfortunately share. Keeping in mind the amount of work involved to not only provide a free service, but to improve its functionality and experience to members, we really have no right to complain and all but a few of us would walk away at the prospect of working for hours to improve a free service and recieve nothing in return. So thank you to the admins for this difficult undertaking. 

One question: Is this GTAF 1.5 or 2.0? :)

L00NEY
  • L00NEY

''In the Warriors code there is no Surrender.''

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:29 PM Edited by L00NEY, 06 September 2013 - 04:31 PM.

Im not a fan of it really..

It kinda look cool, we cant use Talbles/roster atm though, and sigs are not centered ( well just little things ive got to get used to)  :p

-------

I like to see a option that you can choose between  old or new, maybe?

• Ciaran likes this

S1LV3R_W0LF
  • S1LV3R_W0LF

PC Gamer at heart

• Members
  • Portugal

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:31 PM Edited by S1LV3R_W0LF, 06 September 2013 - 04:32 PM.

Are the avatars 80x80 or bigger now?

When you change it say it can go up to 200x and 300Kb so it's a lot bigger then before.

I really like the new forum, it's cleaner and organized, the old one was nice but had the feel of something designed with paint. Also it's great that now whatever the size of the picture you post doesn't stretch the layout, it scales the image and you can click it to see in the real size.

Far as I've seen I only have one complain, well 2 actually.
The first is that sometimes the "quote" text looks weird. You don't see the box around it and neithe rthe name of who you're quoting, it's like:

text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text
text text text text text text text text text
text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text text

Answer...

This happens mostly when people go on a train quote, the boundaries are gone and all the text is mixed up. But doesn't happen all the time so must be some bug. Maybe making the text box a bit darker or apply it some "emboss" effect could help.

The other complain is about the signature, I can't align it to the center like before, it's something minor but I can do it in other forums so this one can be adjusted to work too.

• Ciaran likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users