Quantcast

» «
Photo

The New GTAForums

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
980 replies to this topic

Poll: Like or Hate (523 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like the new update?

1. Yes (199 votes [38.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.05%

2. No (210 votes [40.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 40.15%

3. Undecided (42 votes [8.03%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.03%

4. Indifferent (19 votes [3.63%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.63%

5. Waiting Until Bugs are fixed (53 votes [10.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.13%

Vote
Mr. Sleepy
  • Mr. Sleepy

Infamous

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

I am not a fan of this layout.  The previous layout was used for years.  Why is the forum team trying to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place?

The dumbest and most overused sentence ever.

"Why fix something that isn't broken", if we would go by that, then we'd still be living in the stone age.

Sentrion
  • Sentrion

Midnight Wanderer

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

When looking at a topic, older posts now say last post 2 weeks ago etc. It should go back to the old style where it says the exact date and time. Example:  Tue Sep. 17th 14:32

Another thing like others have mentioned is on the right side there is a lot of wasted space. Perhaps expand everyone's posting/reply boxes all the way to the right side. I think it would make things more "concrete looking" if that makes sense.

I'm sure that they've planned to add something for the right side space. Also, the dates system is different on the new software. The old software was 12 years old and needed update.
  • Sintation likes this

Deuce Deuce
  • Deuce Deuce

-

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

The term "respect" is used too loosely anyway. I would much prefer the option to "like" certain posts; that way there's still a system for crediting and acknowledging ideas and posts, without the hassle of a ridiculous system people use to measure their e-penis. It just feels tacky.

Honestly, I'm actually coming to like the new design - it just needs some work. Personally I'd rather the respect system and status updates (lol) be removed more than anything else, then the new design and features can be tweaked progressively. This has the potential to be molded into something good.

Potential.

AndyGanteks
  • AndyGanteks

The Yardies

• Members
  • Jamaica
  • Contribution Award [Sports]
    Most Skilled Player 2013
    Best Event 2013 "GTAF Gang League 2013"
    Most Valuable Player 2012
    Best Contributor [Multiplayer] 2012
    Most Valuable Player 2011
    Winner of World Cup 2010 Prediction League
    Best Event 2010 "GTAF Gang League 2010"
    Most Valuable Player 2010
    Best Team Player 2010

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:51 PM Edited by AndyGanteks, 06 September 2013 - 12:52 PM.

seriously how did people suddenly get 80?

I've made 2-3 posts in this thread for suggestions, got about 15-20 "respect likes" for them. You can imagine how it's like with other threads, and V area is prob even worse.

Really hope it gets removed (Please don't "respect" this post)

• Rewas likes this

Dnero
  • Dnero

Top Dawg

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

seriously how did people suddenly get 80?

wjANVCD.jpg

• lt_yao likes this

DarrenC1888
  • DarrenC1888

Celtic FC Manchester United Champions!

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

Everything just blends in with each other it's horrible.  :sui:

xNCx
  • xNCx

Street Cat

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:03 PM Edited by krasiejow, 06 September 2013 - 01:04 PM.

New GTAF, that's what we were waiting for so long! It was about time to update the old IPB 1.x. It was a pretty outdated forum script if you compare this to all these new SMF, mybb and IPB 3 of course.

It's just a matter of time before we get used to this theme, so don't panic guys that old layout was better. YT with every update makes the layout more sh*tier and sh*tier, people complain but finally they will stop.

I hope that the image logo will contain all GTA titles, not only GTA 5. And the layout might be a bit more optimized for mobile browsing and 4:3 monitors. If I scroll the left menu, posts are taking something like 60-70% of the screen, making them extremely smart.

MobBG
  • MobBG

Makin' Bacon.....

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

This respect thing didnt bring my selfrespect to a whole new level...

lt_yao
  • lt_yao

Satie

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

I don't seem to feel any better about myself...

DAWeeE1
  • DAWeeE1

Peon

• Members
  • Sweden

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

I think it looks cool. Kinda like the Steam Discussions, but with (almost) all the features of the previous forum, which automatically makes it better. Just one thing though, this "respect" system WILL be abused.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

I'm going to be honest, it's a little to plain for me, it's lost some of it's style, yes it looks modern, but modern in the way Apple force down peoples throats that basic = good and edgy. Can we at least get the side bar back or updated somehow, having to go back to the main forum area each time I want to jump into another section is rather, well, annoying, seriously it is, I used that side bar to jump in and out of other sections quickly and now it's gone, it just feels like I've lost some speed in jumping around here,

The respect system, we tried it over on GTAGaming, ...it doesn't work, I'll just leave it at that.

Up above, Deuce Deuce, did a good example of how it should look, bring back the flags and stuff so we each have a bit of personality again, right now it looks like I'm browsing the help desk for an electronics website!

Apart from that, good work in getting it all up to date, but yeah, it still needs some serious work because it feels like this place has lost all of its character and has been replaced with a basic and plain modern shell. Hope you guys take this info on board.

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

Now we're starting to see signatures like this:

"Hit that "Respect+" button if you thought I was helpful or made you LOL!"

It's like the karma system all over again. :lol:

Except that karma was handed exclusively by the staff, and we all could laugh at karma whores. Not now.

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Vehicle 2013 "III Aircraft"
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:42 PM

Apart from that, good work in getting it all up to date, but yeah, it still needs some serious work because it feels like this place has lost all of its character and has been replaced with a basic and plain modern shell. Hope you guys take this info on board.

This. Most of the functionality looks good, but theme looks... weird. The old one been there for so long so it became iconic to the forums. And the icon is now gone. The same applies to national flags, they gave that forum some sort of unique look.

Gforce
  • Gforce

• Feroci
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

found a piece of the new forum layout that needs a little bit of fixing

relevant forum 

code that needs a fix
<iframe src="http://media.gtanet.com/mi/html/gtafheader.html" style="border:1px #FFFFFF solid;" name="MI" scrolling="auto" frameborder="yes" align="center" height="310px" width="650px">
</iframe>

it was the old forum banner but as you can see it's not working the way it used to.

great job on the board updates guys, nice to finally see the place get it's well deserved update and facelift.

I look forward to seeing how things evolve, keep up the good work guys  :^:

Deuce Deuce
  • Deuce Deuce

-

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

Except that karma was handed exclusively by the staff, and we all could laugh at karma whores. Not now.

No, it's the same in the sense that people will try too hard to earn "respect," where it was basically the same with karma stars. That got old and eventually was removed, yet this has already become annoying. Like I said before, a feature that allows you to "like" posts would be much more ideal.

• Street Mix likes this

Stormingz
  • Stormingz

Menace to society.

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

No I don't like it.

One of the reasons is because its f*cked up all the rosters and tables in the Gang section. Another reason is because, well, it just isn't user friendly.
  • DarrenC1888 likes this

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:51 PM Edited by ExtremeLimitations, 06 September 2013 - 01:52 PM.

Now I'm a noob, but it's great.
Anyway, I need help, how do you name the posted links? Any codes needed, I'm confused.

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• The Connection
  • European-Union

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

It gives me psychopathic tendencies, it's that bad. Is that normal?

• The Yokel likes this

Lelouch vi Britannia
  • Lelouch vi Britannia

Zero

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:56 PM

I give all the people what they want. Now hit that respect button.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

The fact that i have nearly 200 "Respects" proves that the respect system is flawed and can be abused. It just isnt needed here at GTAF if you ask me.

• ExtremoMania likes this

Shteeve McClaren
  • Shteeve McClaren

Rat

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

I suppose I'll get used to it as time passes. I got one minor complain however and that is the fact that the posts looks way to big on my laptop (15 inch Macbook). One post seemingly takes up all of the screen. I suppose people got bigger monitors these days, but I still wish the forum would "adjust" itself better in order to fit smaller screens.

Benjimino234
  • Benjimino234

♤ ♡ ♢ ♧

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

Urgh I haaate it.

Everything seems so excessively large and the most favourite thing of the site is gona which that sidebar with eeeeverything forum and sub-forum listed. If I wanted to go to Cheats and Trick of the GTA Vice City Stories I can, not like I did but now I can't. It's just more mouse clicks, loading and scrolling that I don't like.

MobBG
  • MobBG

Makin' Bacon.....

• Members
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:00 PM

respect-give-it-to-get-it.jpg?w=487

• Hodgey. likes this

Ηeath
  • Ηeath

Just Do It.

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

I personally prefer the old look over this new one. But I do love the new features! (Would take some time to get used to, though) :pp

To be honest, I expected a 'Metro' skin for the new GTAForums, keeping the same layout but with the Windows 8 interface, got what I mean?

Street Mix
  • Street Mix

Boss

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:06 PM Edited by Street Mix, 06 September 2013 - 02:10 PM.

Nvm my last post - you can see who liked your post in notifications.

There should be a post respect counter and only if the message gets 15-20 likes then +1 point goes to that big respect number below the title.

Same goes for negative points.

Although I also think that the whole respect system is a bit redundant.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:10 PM

I'll wait until the bugs are fixed and hopefully some minor design changes are made before I give it the Yay or Nay.

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:24 PM Edited by wwinterj, 06 September 2013 - 02:32 PM.

As others have said It'll take some getting used to and I miss that the old one told folk my PSN/Gamertag under my posts. I think the background of the new site is a little bland but I guess that can be changed in skins that get added. My profile also isn't as detailed as the old site but that's not really a big deal. Also my spell cheak doesn't work on the site it seems and my spelling is terrible. Typos love me also. On a whole though I look forward to more changes with the new site as I'm always open to change. :pp

Canoxa
  • Canoxa

Woosh.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

I suppose I'll get used to it as time passes. I got one minor complain however and that is the fact that the posts looks way to big on my laptop (15 inch Macbook). One post seemingly takes up all of the screen. I suppose people got bigger monitors these days, but I still wish the forum would "adjust" itself better in order to fit smaller screens.

I'm on a 13in screen, and everything looks fine. Although a post can take up the whole screen, as you say, it's just the way the skins in this generation of IPB software are. Maybe this can be tweaked.

EQUIN0X
  • EQUIN0X

Of The Coming on

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

I usually try to remain optimistic but this is just horrible. Everything is all over the place, I can't use my old avatar, and it just looks dull.

I already miss the old layout. Why change it after 12 years? What's the point? Why fix what isn't broken?

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:37 PM Edited by NYC PATROL, 06 September 2013 - 03:02 PM.

Just thought I'd mention it. Checked "Posts I've made" and it seems to only go back to 3 weeks ago. Ahh well. New slate I guess. No more viewing my first few posts ever haha :(

But I assume it will save everything else from now on and for example not just only the last 1,000 posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users