Photo

Economy

10 replies to this topic
Liteiten
  • Liteiten

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

I've seen too many discussions on here, but I rarely see GTA V's economy get talked over.
It's been known for far too long that GTA games' money factor usually loses it's meaning once the game is complete, or heck, even from the beginning of the game. The only thing that stops a player from buying things in previous GTA games were that they were locked, and had to be un-locked to be purchased by doing missions (weapons, properties, etc...).
A while ago, someone sent R* an email (and hell, there was a huge megathread on the GTA Forums talking about how GTA V can finally revolutionize cash in a GTA game, and R* acknowledged this thread's existence), and they ask about this. R* said that they would do their best for money to have meaning in the game, and be something to be sought after, and non just a useless number on the top right of your screen.
Let's discuss this. What are your speculations? Do you think for the first half of the game, money will be hard to come by? Will we finally stop getting thousands of dollars just by driving an NPC to the other side of the map? Will "saving up" actually be a reason-able thing to do?
Also!
The economy for GTA:O. I do not want everyone to have "everything" after a while. This is my number one fear for GTA:O. Not only does does that stop players from playing after a while, but it encourages the new players to quit, seeing that everyone is ahead of them, and that they shouldn't bother. Will cash, once again, be hard to come by? Will having a million dollars take days and weeks of grinding? Or will it take one or two hours?
I want to see high-rollers even grind in this game. Have a 500k penthouse? Great, that took you a week to get, and now your next goal is to grind for a month for that 2 million dollar jet! (Which is another thing we saw R* hint at tounge.gif ). Also, do you think R* will implement trading? It's not an MMO, but it doesn't need to be for trading to come into play. Lots of non-MMO games have trading, and have pulled it off successfully.
Tell me your thoughts.

evoluon--720
  • evoluon--720

Left Field

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

u shouldve condensed this sh*t

Bluegrassandsass
  • Bluegrassandsass

Getaway Driver

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:00 AM

I'm actually somewhat conflicted by this. But its mostly because the overhaul and the economy system in the game are being hyped up to be so insanely different that its overwhelming and I won't know how to properly use it unlike previous gta where I do some sh*t, get my house and I never have to worry about money again. But I trust R* has managed to do something amazing with this whatever the hell it is and managed to make it as easy to understand. Striking a balance in difficulty of something in a game especially with something as important as this is extremely challenging. I believe I heard somewhere that R* hired real economy experts to help balance it and for help tweaking online once it fires up. Just my thoughts.

Tashan
  • Tashan

Li'l G Loc

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:12 AM

O man, wait till game arrives. This sh*t has no meaning worth discussing as you said R* has shed none to little info over economy thus nobody is talking about it too.

bryer
  • bryer

Blaine County Sheriff Deputy

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

Well considering the stock market and property market can be influenced by player actions, would lead me to believe that you can do a lot of shady dealings to make a lot of money.

For example, regularly robbing the Ammunation or destroying/damaging them, will in turn bring the stock price down (R* confirmed this), so you can then get it to a point that is low enough to buy several hundred shares, within time the stock level will rise again if you do not rob or damage them.

For example, in the game play trailer they show the BAWSAQ with Ammunation stock at $900 per share with a red arrow that show's the price in declining, keep robbing them until it lowers to $400-$500 and then buy buy buy, and you are going to make $400 a share once they recover. It's easy money really, just going to have to find the right level to aid recovery.

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

Resident Actor, Dancer, and Singer

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

Will we finally stop getting thousands of dollars just by driving an NPC to the other side of the map?

I'm wondering when the last time you played GTA was. GTA IV massively reduced the amount of cash you earned from missions: the first 5 missions in GTA IV (starting with "It's Your Call" and ending with "Bleed Out") gave you a total of $80, a cell phone, and one free item of clothing. That's it. If you completed Brian's first stranger mission in the way to Roman's cab company, you got an extra $100. By comparison, the first 5 missions of San Andreas (starting with "Ryder" and ending with "Nines And AKs") gave you $400, a can of spray paint, a 9mm pistol, and an unlimited pickup for 9mm pistols for the rest of the game. San Andreas gave you $50,000 for "Vertical Bird" toward the end of the game, while "Catch The Wave", a similarly placed mission in GTA IV, only gave $7500.

I think the heists are going to be the big moneymaker for this game.

beauedwards1991
  • beauedwards1991

Prankster

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:59 AM Edited by beauedwards1991, 01 September 2013 - 11:11 AM.

And also one of the previews stated that Rockstar did a mission where you help a Vinewood starlet escape from the paparazzi, and the reward was only tiny for doing it. It was a side activity, though. I would think that missions only net you small sums of money, and perhaps equipment, whereas the big heists and robberies will bring in the big cheddar.

Kemo66
  • Kemo66

Rat

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

QUOTE (evoluon--720 @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 09:54)

Why, because you're incapable of reading more than one sentence?

OT - good question, i personally think that cash will be more difficult to come by early in the game, and cash amounts may be more limited (remember the $80 Michael got given in the paparazzi mission shown and discussed by CVG) - also, as I recall, you will lose cash a lot easier than in previous games, possibly due to stock market drops, having to pay out for heist crew members, maybe you will be robbed yourself?

beauedwards1991
  • beauedwards1991

Prankster

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

Perhaps the actions of the rising and falling stock market may cause item prices to fluctuate as well? That would be interesting.

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

Resident Actor, Dancer, and Singer

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

QUOTE (Kemo66 @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 11:10)
QUOTE (evoluon--720 @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 09:54)

Why, because you're incapable of reading more than one sentence?

OT - good question, i personally think that cash will be more difficult to come by early in the game, and cash amounts may be more limited (remember the $80 Michael got given in the paparazzi mission shown and discussed by CVG) - also, as I recall, you will lose cash a lot easier than in previous games, possibly due to stock market drops, having to pay out for heist crew members, maybe you will be robbed yourself?

The game seems to have a lot more money sinks than previous ones. We all know about the customization, property purchases, etc. But there's also required purchases for heists and possibly other missions: according to the gameplay trailer, the jewelry store heist requires you to purchase the weapons, suits, and masks/motorcycle helmets for everyone involved. Blitz Play requires you to acquire and position a getaway car, which may result in you simply buying one instead of roaming the streets for a fast four-door to jack.

johnwontscore
  • johnwontscore

aka Dr Ripper

• Members
  • England

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

It's an interesting topic this one and I expect there'll be a lot of threads on this when the game comes out and we know what kind of economy R* have come up with. What I expect is that, since economies are pretty complicated things, R* will have probably made an arse of this and there will be plenty of loopholes to exploit. If they've done a good job, there will still be plenty of loopholes to exploit. Whatever the case, they are going to have to do an awful lot of tweaking to make this part of the game work.

The most important thing to find out is will stock prices be tied to the game session or the global demand from the user base. Once we know that, plans can be made...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users