GTA:IV What worked and what didnt

36 replies to this topic
dmadzV7
  • dmadzV7

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:57 PM

How u guys should set it up below.

+ Its story was decently long, quality voice acting and immersive storytelling.

+For its time the city was immersive (any R* game requirement)

- No countryside

-Lack of weapons

Gta v , should have a story that is long and immersive.
Post your thoughts guys.

nuer
  • nuer

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:59 PM

What...

Staten
  • Staten

Big Homie

• Members
  • None
  • Poetic Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:01 PM

It's a bit late for this kind of brainstorming, isn't it? I mean, the game's being shipped to retailers...

omgz153
  • omgz153

Disregard females, acquire monetary funds

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:03 PM

Cops N Crooks was fun... I hope they include it in GTA Online

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:41 PM

GTA IV

+ Good Story
+ Good City

- Cover system worked half the time
- Lack of Weapons
- Lack of color
- Repetitive missions
- Bad music
- Lack of side activities
- Lack of Countryside
- Bad Online ( Compared to RDR and GTA O )
- Annoying friend system
- Terrible gun controls
- movement was bad
- Always safe in Liberty City
- Lack of Airplanes

gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (redx165 @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 22:41)
GTA IV

+ Good Story
+ Good City

- Lack of Weapons
- Lack of color
- Repetitive missions
- Bad music
- Lack of Countryside
- Annoying friend system
- Terrible gun controls
- movement was bad
- Lack of Airplanes

I agree with everything you said except the part about multiplayer. IVs multiplayer was a bit better than Red Dead.

What IVs online got right
Customizable characters
Lobby options
Pedestrians
Weapon pickups
Open deathmatch areas
Health pickups

The only bad thing about it was the buzzard and there weren't scripted activities in Free mode. But overall RDR's online felt like a downgrade.

dmadzV7
  • dmadzV7

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:53 PM

yeah i agree with ^^^^^

Brandonn96
  • Brandonn96

Rat

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:00 PM

The one MAJOR and in my opinion almost game ruining feature that they have fixed in GTA V is the fact that getting cash was so easy and then there was absolutely jack sh*t to spend it on , all I kept thinking in TBOGT is I could easily buy my way out of this situation, so yeah I'm glad thats been amended

mooby346
  • mooby346

Rat

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (dmadzV7 @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 16:57)
How u guys should set it up below.

+ Its story was decently long, quality voice acting and immersive storytelling.

+For its time the city was immersive (any R* game requirement)

- No countryside

-Lack of weapons

Gta v , should have a story that is long and immersive.
Post your thoughts guys.

I feel like this topic would've been useful about 4 years ago, instead of 2 weeks before the release date of the next GTA.

antisatan7
  • antisatan7

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:06 PM

I'm curious to see how they improved the euphoria engine and A.I.. In IV you walk into a pedestrian and the pedestrian reacts as if slightly drunk for a moment or as if knocked in the head and recovering. Usually how many times you walk into a pedestrian and piss it off was timed in IV, therefore predictable. Hopefully in V the pedestrians protect themselves better and gain foot support quicker as well as use the environment to their advantage. How cool would it be to have some dude on a skateboard or bike try to sketch a ride from you or you try to push a pedestrian off a ledge and the pedestrian finds a way to hang on and climb back up or get to the ground safely. Or what about them doing subtle things like helping someone up off the ground after you knock'em out or trip them.
Also I hope that the ambulance actually picks people up and takes them to the hospital or at least in the ambulance to save them. What about trash trucks actually stopping to pick up trash? Or even seeing people calling and getting into taxis? I don't think I ever seen any of that in IV.
These things would carry over to the battlefield. Gang members and cops helping each other against fatalities. As far as everything else, it looks as though it has been improved. vehicles, weapons, story, variety in map, variety in clothes, variety in activities, variety in homes...etc.

Harley325
  • Harley325

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:07 PM

only thing that didn't work for me in GTA 4 was the money system. You made millions of dollars and you couldn't spend it on anything.

antisatan7
  • antisatan7

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:08 PM

Also for the guys saying this topic is useless you must consider that even though the things said here can't change the game now that it's gone gold there is an advantage of going over these things just like the major media reviewers are doing now as well.

JustOneMonth
  • JustOneMonth

Griefer? Better Call Saul!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:12 PM

QUOTE (omgz153 @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 22:03)
Cops N Crooks was fun... I hope they include it in GTA Online

icon14.gif This and free mode, the only modes i actualy played.

LiGzz
  • LiGzz

#RealNiggaShyt.

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:12 PM

My main gripe with IV!

If I'm going to a bad neighborhood, I want to actually y'know.. be a bad neighborhood.

strakan7
  • strakan7

Hustler

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:22 PM

GTA was groundbreaking in almost every aspect, that is a major plus. they released it waay early in the xbox's life and were able to accomplish a game that is still being played by a lot of people, right up to the day of sale of the next in the series.

All they would have to do in V to make it perfect would be:
update the cover system with the one from either RDR or MP3,
allow for more customisation of the player, cars etc.
add and update some of the mini games as well as bringing back vigilante, ambulance, fire truck and TAXI missions esp,
Ive heard good things about chinatown wars' drug dealing - i imagine it to be like a game i played years ago Drug Lord 2...which would be epic!
a handful more weapons thrown in the mix, the return of swords and some more old-world melee weapons.
a cinematic mode that you can control (have a fixed cinematic such as the wheel arch cam)
more interiors for exploring...people are saying the map will be small but as well as being stated to be 3x the land area of RDR there are also interiors to count among that space (and of course the underwater which is a joyful mystery waiting to be explored)

iFight
  • iFight

The one

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:23 PM

- Small map

- Not many weapons

- Roman

- AI not that good

- If i forgot something i edit.

AlasClarin
  • AlasClarin

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:24 PM

Take 90% of the things of GTA IV and don't make it never again.

redx165
  • redx165

Making the GTA fanboys dance

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:25 PM Edited by redx165, 31 August 2013 - 11:37 PM.

QUOTE (gpcguy1 @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 17:52)
GTA IV

+ Good Story
+ Good City

- Lack of Weapons
- Lack of color
- Repetitive missions
- Bad music
- Lack of Countryside
- Annoying friend system
- Terrible gun controls
- movement was bad
- Lack of Airplanes

I agree with everything you said except the part about multiplayer. IVs multiplayer was a bit better than Red Dead.

Customizable characters
Lobby options
Pedestrians
Weapon pickups
Open deathmatch areas
Health pickups

The only bad thing about it was the buzzard and there weren't scripted activities in Free mode. But overall RDR's online felt like a downgrade.

When I mean the online I mean there is more things to do in RDR free roam then there was in GTA IV.

When I play GTA IV Online

I either see people trying to kill each other ( Open TDM )
People race each other once in a while
Kill the cops

That's really the only things you can do in IV.

RDR didn't have much either but they had

Open TDM
Horse racing
killing cops
Hunting
Land Grab
Gang Hideouts

One thing I hated in IV was weapon pickups. If you get killed you got to spend another 10 minutes to get setup. That just gets annoying. Everything else with GTA IV online was alright.

ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:27 PM

I like GTA4 Music though

JustOneMonth
  • JustOneMonth

Griefer? Better Call Saul!

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (iFight @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 23:23)
- Small map

- Not many weapons

- Roman

- AI not that good

- If i forgot something i edit.

Everybody forgets that you could just swith your cellphone off to never get called.

Owen305
  • Owen305

True City Killers

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (Brandonn96 @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 23:00)
The one MAJOR and in my opinion almost game ruining feature that they have fixed in GTA V is the fact that getting cash was so easy and then there was absolutely jack sh*t to spend it on , all I kept thinking in TBOGT is I could easily buy my way out of this situation, so yeah I'm glad thats been amended

This made me lol I agree completely colgate.gif

Ermacs
  • Ermacs

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:33 PM

Lack of things to spend money on and how slowly you got up after being knocked down. Those are my only major complaints about IV.

Jesse Pinkman
  • Jesse Pinkman

bitch

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:35 PM

Eastern Europeans -

strakan7
  • strakan7

Hustler

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 11:42 PM

without eastern europeans, your country would have had basically no generals to fight the American Civil Wars or the Indian Wars. You should read history, then thank the Polish.

gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE (redx165 @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 23:25)
QUOTE (gpcguy1 @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 17:52)
GTA IV

+ Good Story
+ Good City

- Lack of Weapons
- Lack of color
- Repetitive missions
- Bad music
- Lack of Countryside
- Annoying friend system
- Terrible gun controls
- movement was bad
- Lack of Airplanes

Customizable characters
Lobby options
Pedestrians
Weapon pickups
Open deathmatch areas
Health pickups

When I mean the online I mean there is more things to do in RDR free roam then there was in GTA IV.

When I play GTA IV Online

I either see people trying to kill each other ( Open TDM )
People race each other once in a while
Kill the cops

That's really the only things you can do in IV.

RDR didn't have much either but they had

Open TDM
Horse racing
killing cops
Hunting
Land Grab
Gang Hideouts

One thing I hated in IV was weapon pickups. If you get killed you got to spend another 10 minutes to get setup. That just gets annoying. Everything else with GTA IV online was alright.

Use your imagination and you could do a sh*tload of things in both games.

Also Red Dead didn't have open deathmatches, they were small areas/towns that you were trapped in.

Losing your weapons was a penalty for dying if you didn't think you would survive long you should have only got a few weapons, it's a better idea than keeping every single weapon in the game. And a pistol is all you need most of the time.

Skorge
  • Skorge

I Completed the GTA V story, in 28 hours! (Option C)

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:22 AM Edited by Skorge, 01 September 2013 - 12:29 AM.

The thing that annoyed me about IV was, you seriously hurt some one and then call 911 to get a ambulance, but instead of it coming and helping the person, it would smash through everything in its path, cause damage to so many cars killing the drivers, run over civilians and then park next to the body, the men get out, stand there walk a few steps and say "another bogus call" and drive away causing the same damage as they did on arrival. It's a great feature, but as it was faulty, it shouldn't of been added, I just hope that's fixed in V.

Secondly, when you tried to drive normal and obey the law, you stop at a light or behind traffic and the cars that pile up behind you would drive around you or crash into you after waiting for 10 seconds wile trying to get around you

Third, no indication when you wanted to turn corners, it would of added so much more realism!

4th, when doing 1000000 mph down the road the police didn't give a f*ck, I hope in V there is a balance where the police will chase you if your doing a stupid speed.

V.... 15 days!

Nigoldeneye
  • Nigoldeneye

Nigo

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:26 AM

To all those people saying GTA IV had bad music, it didn't. It had a lot of really good songs,especially on Liberty Rock Radio,there were some gems on The Beat 102.7 such as Flashing Lights. Vladivostok FM was great,The Classics was awesome too. EFLC's soundtrack was miles better though.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTA V/Online Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE (redx165 @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 00:41)
GTA IV

+ Good Story
+ Good City

- Lack of Weapons
- Lack of color
- Repetitive missions
- Bad music
- Lack of Countryside
- Annoying friend system
- Terrible gun controls
- movement was bad
- Lack of Airplanes

How did the cover system work only half the time? That is not a problem related to the game, I would say that's more your problem since you don't use it properly. I agree that it didn't work the way it should sometimes, but half the time is quite a bold exaggeration, in my opinion. It doesn't work accurately if there are several possibilities of how you could use the system. You have to run to the object where you want to hide behind, and then you have to use the button that activates the cover system. If you do it that way, it should work just fine.

When it comes to the quantity of the weapons, IV was a downgrade compared to its predecessor, and nobody can deny that. However, if the gun controls are terrible, then the weapon mechanics in San Andreas are extremely terrifying and far worse, in comparison. This is one of the things I critize the most about SA - the gun controls are not special in anyway, and it makes the guns feel weak. That's what IV did better. Guns are feeling heavier and the zoom is quite useful as it can make shootouts easier, depending on if you try to kill someone from the distance, or close by.

As for repetitive mission, I do agree to a certain extent - but San Andreas wasn't really flawless, either. While its missions were less repetitive, its side-missions 'suffered from the same fate' as IV's main mission. That is just my opinion, though, and you will probably feel differently about it. I am sure that Rockstar fixed both problems with V; with all the info we have got, it's safe to say that both problems are history now.

I would not say that the character movement was bad by any means. It was a bit slow and clunky, but see it from that point: the characters have weight, and this was the first GTA where real time physics were in place. Now I haven't played RDR a lot, but the movement was a bit clunky there too - although, it was already improved. Max Payne almost perfected it, and seeing the comparison videos between V and MP3 on YouTube, GTAV improves that even further, which is great.

The game was not that greyish and brownish as you make it out to be. I'm not sure about the console version, but on PC, you could change around the saturation, brightness and the colours. The game is only dark and rather greyish when it's raining, but it does look beautiful when the sun is shining since everything it very colouful then. But on the other hand, IV is set during autumn 2007 or 2008, which explains why the it appears to be dark and gritty at times.

I concur that the phone calls you get from your friends can be annoying at times, but there is a way to deny them, and not losing the respect of your aquaintances, if that is your biggest issue. When they call you and they want to do something with you, for example bowling, then you should accept it. After doing that, you could call them back and cancel the meeting. If you do that, it's guaranteed that they will not lose respect for you.

The reason why there was no countryside is obvious: IV was set in Liberty City, and its real life counterpart is New York. There is no countryside right next to the city, it is pure urban area, and that is why they did the same thing in the game. Why were there no planes? Because Liberty City is too small for it. It may be the biggest city in the GTA series, but the city alone is too small for real, enjoyable flying with planes. And even Rockstar themselves stated so in an Asked&Answered in July last year.

Last but not least, the music wasn't quite as bad as you make it sound like. Sure, maybe it wasn't your taste, but I think too many people pick on it. In my opinion, the music was better than the whole gangsta bullsh*t we heard in some radio-stations in SA. It was finally something different, and it fits very well to the theme of the game.

Calmillerr
  • Calmillerr

Mister

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (Staten @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 22:01)
It's a bit late for this kind of brainstorming, isn't it? I mean, the game's being shipped to retailers...

This made me laugh smile.gif Thankyou for my first and last laugh of the night smile.gif

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:55 PM

Pros and cons for GTA IV? Sure why not?

Pros
+ Good story - First time in the series the story has been meaningful
+ Great engine - The birth of a new engine that every R* game has used after that.
+ Good physics - Love ragdoll physics
+ Real hands - Old GTA players will know what I mean here.
+ Online - I didn't play GTA IV online much but it was the grounds for something great.
+ The detail - Loved the detail in the game

Cons
- Lack of things to do
- The driving - To "boat like"
- Boring once you done the story
- The missions was bland. I can only think about Three Leaf Clover when talking about the missions in GTA V. The rest was forgettable.

Conclusion
GTA IV took more steps back than it did forward for the series. It was however on new hardware so that's understandable. The problem is I played it for a month and never had any desire to play it again. GTA V seems to have improved on GTA IV considerably and seems to be what GTA IV should have been and that's a step forward for the series.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users