"Reboot and select boot device"

8 replies to this topic
gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

My moms computer randomly started saying "reboot and select proper boot device" last night and wit boot up past that screen. I have googled for a couple hours now and can't find anything that helps. Anything I can find relates to someone droppings heir laptop and popping the hard drive out of place but this is a desktop computer there's no way the hard drive came out. And everything else is written in a foreign language I can't translate. So can someone put it in normal terms how to fix this?

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

I know you've been complaining, but you weren't ready.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

Do you have more than one hard drive connected to the computer and have you ever installed a different OS in any of them (if yes)?

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:26 PM

No it just has one hard drive. It's my moms computer and she only uses it for light Internet browsing and she is 55 years old so I'm almost certain she hasn't made any modifications. That's the puzzling part to me. And no she hasn't installed any new OS. I believe it runs windows 7 if that helps.

OzzySM12
  • OzzySM12

Hmm...

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:11 PM

Are there any USB drives or anything plugged into it?

Never seen the "reboot and select proper boot device" on a comp before. Worst case could be the hard drive is done, although that ususally gives you some sort of invalid boot device message.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:36 AM

I don't think that would be the case just all of a sudden. It doesn't seem like the Windows boot sector is corrupted either, because it'd show a message generated by the Windows boot loader. Hmm, if you have access to the BIOS try checking on the boot order and see if you can get the hard drive in first if it's not already.
Unless it had a virus and it wiped the whole master boot record but those viruses aren't as common anymore.

marmoo
  • marmoo

Thug

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:59 AM Edited by marmoo, 01 September 2013 - 07:08 AM.

I think the Hard drive is knackered and you may need to consider a new one but perhaps eliminate the obvious and check the Sata cable is still connected fully or try a different one for connection between MB and HDD. Also check that Power cable hasn't for some unknown reason popped out - unlikely but worth a check.
If that all seems fine, then the Boot Loader as Spider says could be at fault and really, only a clean install of Windows will sort that effectively but if it still does the same thing, then hardware is blame.
How old is the PC?

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (marmoo @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 06:59)
I think the Hard drive is knackered and you may need to consider a new one but perhaps eliminate the obvious and check the Sata cable is still connected fully or try a different one for connection between MB and HDD. Also check that Power cable hasn't for some unknown reason popped out - unlikely but worth a check.
If that all seems fine, then the Boot Loader as Spider says could be at fault and really, only a clean install of Windows will sort that effectively but if it still does the same thing, then hardware is blame.
How old is the PC?

I think it's about 3 years old. I think I'm just going to go buy her one of those windows tablets. I'm not computer savvy enough to fix it myself and a tablet makes a lot more sense for her since she just wants to browse the web. It will suck to lose years of hard work in sim city 4 though because that's the computer that has my data lol

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:04 AM

If you have really important things in try to make your own disc with an OS (in this case Ubuntu, Linux) to see if you can access your hard drive to copy things out to a flash drive for example. Might seem complicated, but if the hard drive is still accessible and you have important data there, it's worth it wink.gif

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (Spider-Vice @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 04:04)
If you have really important things in try to make your own disc with an OS (in this case Ubuntu, Linux) to see if you can access your hard drive to copy things out to a flash drive for example. Might seem complicated, but if the hard drive is still accessible and you have important data there, it's worth it wink.gif

Yeah Thanks I will look into that. There's some stuff I would like to recover but it isn't like there is anything that im in dire need of right now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users