Quantcast

» «
Photo

What do you guys think of Adult Swim?

27 replies to this topic
universetwisters
  • universetwisters

THIS ONE GOES OUT TO ALL THE RAVERS IN THE NATION.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:01 PM

Like the question implies, what do you guys think of Adult Swim? For those of you who don't know, it's a programing block on Cartoon Network that showcases more mature-themed humor during the evening hours. I usually watch it right before I go to bed, just because they show King Of The Hill. They also show other shows, like Family Guy, American Dad, etc. but as for the rest of the shows, I'm not too much into them. Like Aqua Hunger Force, Squidbillies, etc. they all just seem to run together for me. It seems like a bunch of edgy teenagers who thought crude humor and heavy metal. They also show anime, but I never got around to seeing it.

That's just my opinion, though. I'm interested in hearing yours.

Trinette
  • Trinette

lean on me. so you wont. stray your neck.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:44 PM

I think AS is ridiculous and insignificant compared to what it use to be. Family guy, American Dad, etc are all geared towards really immature young teens as you mentioned and I fail to see any value in those shows.

AS was great in terms of anime though. I'm not so much into anime but when I was younger I was in love with some of the shows they had available both anime and non-anime (Xavier: Renegade Angel, The Big O, Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Inuyasha, and Neon Genesis Evangelion just to name a few). All good things have to end though. I'm just happy that Adult Swim is nothing more than an interesting memory of my pre-teen years. ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

Chaise
  • Chaise

Packers Fan.

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:58 AM

Family Guy, American Dad, and the other shows aren't really my thing, but I do find myself tuning into it every Saturday night for Toonami for the anime when I don't have anything better to do.

I usually just watch Bleach, Naruto, and then One Piece before turning it off though. All the other good shows like Inuyusha and Full Metal Alchemist come on way to late for me to stay up and watch.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:15 AM

I'm pretty much the exact opposite of you guys.

I've always enjoyed King of the Hill, Family Guy, Robot Chicken, and Aqua Teen (Squdbillies sucks. don't watch it. ever)
but I really don't care for the Japanese anime. I've never watched Bleach or Naruto or any of that crap. it all looks the same and the animation is terrible.

TheUnholy
  • TheUnholy

Brain Stew

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:51 AM

I've heard about Adult Swim, I've never watched it (because it doesn't broadcast on my country's TV) and but I've appreciated it because they got back King Of The Hill on the TV (I know there are no new episodes but getting KOTH back on TV and letting people know about KOTH is a thing to appreciate for). I've always liked the style of King Of The Hill (maybe it was not so much funny but they've been doing good comedy on life, by a totally realistic style, giving true life lessons in funny ways and I think that's what makes King Of The Hill as it is) and I was totally disappointed when FOX cancelled it because of "The Cleveland Show" crap (I like (not love) Family Guy and American Dad, I think Seth MacFarlane is a good and successful animated sitcom creator but I think he started to see his shows as money machines after a certain time). So I appreciate Adult Swim in this way. Also I've watched some episodes of Robot Chicken on the Internet and I find it funny (I liked it's rip-offs). I've never watched the channel but I appreciated it just because of getting back King Of The Hill on the TV.

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:15 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 01:15)
I'm pretty much the exact opposite of you guys.

I've always enjoyed King of the Hill, Family Guy, Robot Chicken, and Aqua Teen (Squdbillies sucks. don't watch it. ever)
but I really don't care for the Japanese anime. I've never watched Bleach or Naruto or any of that crap. it all looks the same and the animation is terrible.

How can you like something as absurd as Aqua Teen but not like Squidbillies? What a picky man you must be.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 20:15)
How can you like something as absurd as Aqua Teen but not like Squidbillies? What a picky man you must be.

you're so boring.

Commander Rofl
  • Commander Rofl

"Per Ardua Ad Astra"

• Members
  • England

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:45 PM

I can't get enough of Tim and Eric Awesome show.

InstantCClassic
  • InstantCClassic

Gatorade me, b*tch.

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

I stopped watching Adult Swim back in 2006 when they stopped airing Futurama. The only thing that's retaining my interest of the block is the new season of Boondocks, Adult Swim Singles, and the run of Toonami.

Only watch Adult Swim every Saturday @ 12am.

Rudy
  • Rudy

Mack Pimp

• Zaibatsu
  • France

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:04 PM

QUOTE (InstantCClassic @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 15:18)
I stopped watching Adult Swim back in 2006 when they stopped airing Futurama.

Same here except the airing Futuram part. Also, doesn't Adult Swim enjoy mocking their viewers for being dolts or just deliberately antagonizing them in their little promo talks? I don't know what that's about but their their hostile attitude towards viewers is mind-boggling. I kinda have a love-hate relationship with it, I love almost all of their stuff, except Tom Goes to the freaking Mayor, which I did watch with an open mind.

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 03:24)
QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 20:15)

you're so boring.

How so?

InstantCClassic
  • InstantCClassic

Gatorade me, b*tch.

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (rudy. @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 16:04)
QUOTE (InstantCClassic @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 15:18)
I stopped watching Adult Swim back in 2006 when they stopped airing Futurama.

Same here except the airing Futuram part. Also, doesn't Adult Swim enjoy mocking their viewers for being dolts or just deliberately antagonizing them in their little promo talks? I don't know what that's about but their their hostile attitude towards viewers is mind-boggling. I kinda have a love-hate relationship with it, I love almost all of their stuff, except Tom Goes to the freaking Mayor, which I did watch with an open mind.

Haha, yep. They even aired a bumper during Fox's Animation Domination High-Def block!

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:49 PM

I'm a huge fan and have been watching since before it was called 'Adult Swim'...even though they made Adult Swim references back then.
The early days of Cartoon Planet with Space Ghost, Zorak, and Brak were fun times.
I miss the old Sealab 2021 when Murph was still alive.

I've met Master Shake(granny from Squidbillies) in person - he grew up not to far from here.

And speaking of ATHF, it makes me straight up crazy with how they switch the shows name around all the time. I can't tell you how many fresh episodes I've missed because my DVR was not adjusted to whatever wacky name they've decided to call the show this go around.

I don't really watch any of the live action shows they do, although they do look funny. I've seen a few minutes of that NTSCSUV whatever one...funny stuff.

Tyler
  • Tyler

This is gonna take crackerjack timing, Wang.

• Unknown
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:14 PM

Love the absurd humour in some of the later-animated shows they do. ATHF is a given, but I also loved Brak and Space Ghost. Venture Bros is pure comedy as well. I dug the old anime they used to show like Cowboy Bebop, InuYasha and Yu Yu Hakusho, as well. I don't really watch it any more since I can't stay up late enough to catch my favorite shows but every once and a while I'll check it out if I get the chance. Definitely has some good stuff on it even today.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 13:35)
How so?

your posts.
they're boring to read.

you should try contributing something.

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 21:38)
QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 13:35)
How so?

your posts.
they're boring to read.

you should try contributing something.

Ok, thanks for the constructive criticism.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 16:45)
thanks for the constructive criticism.

ironic post is ironic.

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:03 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 23:43)
QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 16:45)
thanks for the constructive criticism.

ironic post is ironic.

Asshole poster is asshole.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:24 AM

see?
no originality. no creativity.

boring.

theonlytobyever
  • theonlytobyever

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:47 AM

I used to watch it every weekend. Brings me back to old times just chilling with bros. I don't get around to watching it any more. I loved Tin and Eric's Awesome Show, Great Job!

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 02:24)
see?

boring.

PM me some tips, I don't want to risk getting banned for the likes of you.

On Topic:

I loved Tim and Eric and still love The Eric Andre Show on Adult Swim, Hannibal Buress is the sh*t.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:38 PM

I'm afraid tips would be wasted on the likes of you lol.gif

visionist
  • visionist

Eat A Peach For Hours

• Members

Posted 21 September 2013 - 09:48 PM

I have never watched this channel  :bored:

Melchior
  • Melchior

come on and tell me twice

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 22 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

Honestly, I'm really not that into the whole absurdist thing. Like I do enjoy Brak and whatnot, but it just doesn't speak to me. That said, the shows they make that are actually coherent are pure brilliance: Home Movies and Venture Bros. spring to mind, but the best thing they've ever put on is easily Xavier: Renegade Angel.

unc13bud
  • unc13bud

Weekend Answerer

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 September 2013 - 12:42 AM

i've bought space ghost, brak show, athf on dvd even. don't have cable anymore

Flight180Victm
  • Flight180Victm

Give me the power, I beg of you!

• Members

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 02:24) see?

boring.
PM me some tips, I don't want to risk getting banned for the likes of you.

On Topic:

I loved Tim and Eric and still love The Eric Andre Show on Adult Swim, Hannibal Buress is the sh*t.

Don't waste your time with him. He's always been an asshole and he always will be. :sarcasm:

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:58 PM

It can be hit and miss for me, enjoy shows like Harvey Birdman, Space ghost, Venture Bros, and then there's other stuff I just don't find good.

na89340qv0n34b09q340
  • na89340qv0n34b09q340

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:51 PM Edited by zoo3891, 30 September 2013 - 07:53 PM.

@Melchior - Even if you're into absurdist stuff the stuff on adult swim isn't even that good. There are a few gems like Xavier Renegade Angel, and some of the earlier Williams Street originals, but everything else is pretty boring. Squidbillies is alright, I didn't like it until I gave it a closer watch.

I think King of The Hill, The Boondocks, and (sometimes) Robot Chicken are the only decent shows they air any more.

And I remember falling asleep to Inuyasha when I was in elementary school. I knew nothing about the show except the names of Kagome and Inuyasha, but it was still fun to watch. The anime block is good to have on just to have on sometimes, unless Bleach is on anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users