Photo

RAM problem

8 replies to this topic
Mr Rabbit
  • Mr Rabbit

Part-time spy, full-time maniac

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:06 AM Edited by NateShaw92, 31 August 2013 - 05:13 AM.

I am currently going through an extremely infuriating problem with my laptop.

user posted image
as you can see here 2.07GB of my Installed RAM is not 'usable' this RAM is stuck in the Hardware Reserved, as this screenshot will show
user posted image

This has been the case for a few weeks now since I got my laptop back from PC world's repair center, i sent it back in so they could fix this issue, they said that there is nothing wrong with the computer and that actually the RAM should be like this. They fed me loads of lines of bullpoop including the Operating system needs about "gb to run.
Well...
user posted image
That is very true but it is taking that 2gb out of the 4GB available, so that missing 2GB is not contributing to that at all, this may be stating the obvious to many of you but they shouldn't have suggested something so moronic. so then they fed me the line that this 2GB is being used by the hardware, things like the graphics card, again this can be completely dispelled by the fact that, before I sent it into them, this never happened before, it always used to show a normal amount under Hardware reserved in the Resource Monitor.

Furhtermore I know that that 2GB in hardware reserved is untouched because in the 3rd screenshot you see 2.91GB being used, now this is with chrome, steam and skype open. Back before this mess when i had those applications open it would show approximately 2.7-3GB being used normally. So the graphics card is leeching off the 4GB usable, I was running a video at the time, and then a game afterwards and I saw no decrease from what I used to normally see in terms of RAM usage (amount not %age, obviously I was seeing a much higher percentage because there is less RAM) and it is not from the 2GB hardware reserved, as was being suggested by a tech support guy yesterday. Thus making that 2GB essentially dead RAM, not being used at all, in the slightest. Also 2GB hardware reserved makes no sense for a 1GB graphics card (ATI Radeon 5850HD) well at least I am told it is 1GB.

After running all the usual stuff like msconfig, and coming to no positive conclusion I opened up the laptop, saw 2 RAM sticks. one with 4GB one with 2GB
i swapped the RAM sticks, and when I booted up the computer it said 1.93GB usable RAM and 4GB in hardware reserved.

So what does this mean? does this mean I have a faulty RAM slot? ot does this mean the repair center has done stupid configuration on that RAM slot or something?

I even performed a system restore, problem did not go away so this is unlikely anything software related

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:16 AM

How many stick of RAM are in the machine one of them might be stuffed or loose.

Edit:

I noticed you are using a laptop I thought you were on a desktop.

Mr Rabbit
  • Mr Rabbit

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:18 AM Edited by NateShaw92, 31 August 2013 - 07:10 AM.

QUOTE (nightwalker83 @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 06:16)
How many stick of RAM are in the machine one of them might be stuffed or loose.

2 sticks, one with 4GB, one has 2GB
they both work, and they are not loose

as I siad I swapped the 2 sticks around, but when I did the 2GB only became usable, the I swapped them back, back to jsut under 4GB usable, the only common thing here is one slot, the slot that my 2GB stick is in now.
This all indicated both sticks work fine it is just the slot that is f*cked. But I was thinking that it would not show up as 6GB installed memory then but I am not sure about this.

Yes I am on a laptop, that should not matter, as said it ran 6GB of RAM before and all 6GB were usable, only like a few MB on hardware reserved, if that.
Does this situation sound like a RAM slot f*ckup?

update: I just booted the computer up with only the 4Gig ram stick plugged in, and on system properties it still says 6.00GB of installed RAM, that seems weird to me

update 2 - i put the 4 gig stick into the slot i suspect of being faulty and the computer would not boot up at all, so this confirms my suspecions, yes?

marmoo
  • marmoo

Thug

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

Is it Dual Channel. Have you got it in correct Ram slots?

Also, isn't it normal for the Ram to match (i.e. if 4 gig is in slot 1, then for it to work properly, 4 gig would have to be in slot 2?)

Mr Rabbit
  • Mr Rabbit

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 31 August 2013 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (marmoo @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 11:18)
Is it Dual Channel. Have you got it in correct Ram slots?

Also, isn't it normal for the Ram to match (i.e. if 4 gig is in slot 1, then for it to work properly, 4 gig would have to be in slot 2?)

the computer came with these 4gb and 2gb modules as far as I am aware. I never had the inclination to check before, the guys who repaired it did not say anything about replacing the memory modules permanently. And it worked fine before. Infact I say permanently because I am told they did put a 4GB module in where the 2GB module was and it showed 8GB installed, 3.93 available, so they tell me, so the equal RAM thing you said didn't solve the issue there, but I will ask them to perform this procedure so I can see it with my own eyes, thanks for the idea.

I have got it in the correct slots, I only see 2 slots. If there are more slots I cant get at them.

I have fiddled with the RAM a bit, as stated before.
I took out the 2GB so only the 4GB module was inserted, and yet the system properties still showed 6.00GB installed and 3.93GB usable like before, which seemed weird since I took 2GB out so it should say 4GB installed, no?
Oh and with 2GB in hardware reserved

I then put the 4GB module in the other slot the 2GB used to be in and the computer would not start at all, and before that I put the 2GB in the working slot and the 4GB in the suspected slot and it showed up as 6.00GB installed and 1.93 GB usable with 4GB in hardware reserved.

Does this seem like a faulty memory slot?

baguvix_wanrltw
  • baguvix_wanrltw

Cynical, yeah. Bitter, probably.

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:04 PM

Either: 2GB reserved for VGA. Check your BIOS settings. Amount of reserved (=> extra) VGA RAM has nothing to do with the amount installed on the card.

Or: board doesn't like mixed config (2 & 4GB)

But since you already had that before - perhaps it is a defect.

Mr Rabbit
  • Mr Rabbit

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (baguvix_wanrltw @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 14:04)
Either: 2GB reserved for VGA. Check your BIOS settings. Amount of reserved (=> extra) VGA RAM has nothing to do with the amount installed on the card.

Or: board doesn't like mixed config (2 & 4GB)

But since you already had that before - perhaps it is a defect.

thanks, it is a defect, i consulted with several professional techs with my findings then took it back to be repaired, made it clear that it must be done as fast as possible because I am losing patience with them

this can be locked now it is confirmed that it is a bad memory slot

SyphonPayne
  • SyphonPayne

E FOR EFFORT!!!

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:53 AM Edited by SyphonPayne, 01 September 2013 - 04:58 AM.

EDIT: Nvm.

Crazyeighties
  • Crazyeighties

Gangsta

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:04 PM

I am currently going through an extremely infuriating problem with my laptop.

lUkx3dM.jpg
as you can see here 2.07GB of my Installed RAM is not 'usable' this RAM is stuck in the Hardware Reserved, as this screenshot will show
4DKXtTp.jpg

This has been the case for a few weeks now since I got my laptop back from PC world's repair center, i sent it back in so they could fix this issue, they said that there is nothing wrong with the computer and that actually the RAM should be like this. They fed me loads of lines of bullpoop including the Operating system needs about "gb to run.
Well...
hEZiFCY.jpg
That is very true but it is taking that 2gb out of the 4GB available, so that missing 2GB is not contributing to that at all, this may be stating the obvious to many of you but they shouldn't have suggested something so moronic. so then they fed me the line that this 2GB is being used by the hardware, things like the graphics card, again this can be completely dispelled by the fact that, before I sent it into them, this never happened before, it always used to show a normal amount under Hardware reserved in the Resource Monitor.

Furhtermore I know that that 2GB in hardware reserved is untouched because in the 3rd screenshot you see 2.91GB being used, now this is with chrome, steam and skype open. Back before this mess when i had those applications open it would show approximately 2.7-3GB being used normally. So the graphics card is leeching off the 4GB usable, I was running a video at the time, and then a game afterwards and I saw no decrease from what I used to normally see in terms of RAM usage (amount not %age, obviously I was seeing a much higher percentage because there is less RAM) and it is not from the 2GB hardware reserved, as was being suggested by a tech support guy yesterday. Thus making that 2GB essentially dead RAM, not being used at all, in the slightest. Also 2GB hardware reserved makes no sense for a 1GB graphics card (ATI Radeon 5850HD) well at least I am told it is 1GB.

After running all the usual stuff like msconfig, and coming to no positive conclusion I opened up the laptop, saw 2 RAM sticks. one with 4GB one with 2GB
i swapped the RAM sticks, and when I booted up the computer it said 1.93GB usable RAM and 4GB in hardware reserved.

So what does this mean? does this mean I have a faulty RAM slot? ot does this mean the repair center has done stupid configuration on that RAM slot or something?

I even performed a system restore, problem did not go away so this is unlikely anything software related

you can format thumb drive to use as ram

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users