Will my laptop overheat?

6 replies to this topic
ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:12 PM

Hey guys, before I had this laptop I had another laptop of similar spec the only difference was the 6gb ram compared to me now only having 4gb.

The specs of my current laptop are:

I3 processor.
Intel HD graphics
4gb ram.
Windows 7 64 bit.

I'm pretty sure thats over the recommended specs for all the III era games.

Now I used to play all the III era games on my other laptop fine, only when I pushed it to play GTA 4 it broke and started to overheat badly.

Now I'm not expecting it to not overheat, because, well, it's a laptop..

But I'm just wondering if it will still function the same If I play the III era games on it.

I don't want to break it, but If I don't push it by making it try to handle games like GTA 4 it should be fine, right?

I just wanted your guys thoughts, I'm being super careful with this Laptop.

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

First of all, what firm and model is the laptop.

baguvix_wanrltw
  • baguvix_wanrltw

Cynical, yeah. Bitter, probably.

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:11 PM

What do you mean "it broke"?

Your laptop is not supposed to break from playing "too heavy" stuff. It's just supposed to suck framerate wise, and probably get a bit hot.

Graphics cards can get pretty damn hot, as can CPUs. But since you don't even have any dedicated graphics card, only the Intel onboard crap, you should stick to 3 era games. IV won't be much fun on something like that - if it runs at all, not sure to be honest, but I suppose it will run more or less.

Well, perhaps less, like you claim. Also 4GB of RAM is... not much.

Add another 4GB and a graphics card and you might get somewhere with IV, otherwise yes, just be happy with older stuff. No, that won't harm your Laptop.

ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (baguvix_wanrltw @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 18:11)

Your laptop is not supposed to break from playing "too heavy" stuff. It's just supposed to suck framerate wise, and probably get a bit hot.

Graphics cards can get pretty damn hot, as can CPUs. But since you don't even have any dedicated graphics card, only the Intel onboard crap, you should stick to 3 era games. IV won't be much fun on something like that - if it runs at all, not sure to be honest, but I suppose it will run more or less.

Add another 4GB and a graphics card and you might get somewhere with IV, otherwise yes, just be happy with older stuff. No, that won't harm your Laptop.

I am not even planning on playing IV on this laptop, I was asking only about the III era games.

The Laptop is a Samsung RV520.

Sup3rman
  • Sup3rman

Legen- wait for it -dary

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:34 PM

Well this specific model should actually be quite cool as ive used it, my friend has this also. No problem with that one and stays fairly cool, even when using photoshop and some other program at the same time. How long have you had your laptop? You could just have it cleaned from inside, maybe full of dust. But mainly if a laptop is starting to overheat, it turns itself off.

ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:39 PM Edited by The_Sorrow, 30 August 2013 - 11:45 PM.

QUOTE (Sup3rman @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 20:34)
Well this specific model should actually be quite cool as ive used it, my friend has this also. No problem with that one and stays fairly cool, even when using photoshop and some other program at the same time. How long have you had your laptop? You could just have it cleaned from inside, maybe full of dust. But mainly if a laptop is starting to overheat, it turns itself off.

It's not that old, about a month or so?

I'm only confident with Desktop PC's as I've never been inside a Laptop and wouldnt want to break it..

Im gunna go ahead and run a game, I'll post a screenshot of my Laptop's temperatures, I have no idea what's normal for this laptop so someone might be able to tell me if it's still alright..

EDIT: When I'm playing GTA III aswell as having chrome open the temperature never goes above 65 degrees.
The weird thing though, the temperature was about 63 degrees before I started the game and When I started it, it dropped to 51 degrees before settling between 57 - 62 degrees whislt playing..

EDIT 2: The laptop seemed to run VC with the same temperatures as 3 did,

EDIT: 3 When playing SA the max temperature reached was 70 degrees, should still be okay, right?

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (baguvix_wanrltw @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 19:11)

It's a laptop, he can't add a graphics card and adding 4GB RAM more won't help anything.
I have an HP laptop from earlier 2009 and its 4GB RAM is far enough. He would be just wasting his money.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users