» «
Photo

I can't seem to texture my cars very well

5 replies to this topic
Xegethra
  • Xegethra

Trick

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:41 PM Edited by Xegethra, 29 August 2013 - 03:57 PM.

Hey,

This probably seems like such a tiny problem for most....but I can't texture worth junk. What I am trying to do is make two cars for Vice City.

One of the cars is the Tornado, but turned into a Police Car, the other vehicle is the front end of a Glendale, stuck to the back end of an Oceanic. I get the models looking fine, however I am useless at texturing....they say it is the easiest part of modding but I disagree.

I realise that after making the models, using the existing textures (and copying over individual images and placing them in the texture file such as the parts for my Oceanic/Glendale hybrid) does not work. They come out like the following images (They use the textures they have in Zmodeler2, if I remove them they are invisible). I have also tried texturing them in Zmodeler2, which is what I had used to combine the models....however I find it quite difficult to warp and bend the textures properly to fit the models.

If anybody can give me some good texturing advice or another program I might be able to do it in then thank you! If it matters to anybody, I am wanting to make them MVL compatible. (Well they are, they work fine, the cops drive the Tornado and civilians drive the hybrid, but I can't texture right at all)

user posted image
user posted image

SAPBird
  • SAPBird

Freedom and stuff

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:36 PM Edited by SAPBird, 31 August 2013 - 06:38 PM.

Check the .txd files for each car. Make sure that ALL the textures used in Zmodeler are inside the .txd of their respective models and their names are written correctly. You can easily use TXD Workshop for this step. If that doesn't work, try re-applying each texture onto the polygons of each model in Zmodeler. If the problem is still not solved you'll have to manually edit the UV maps of each car. Hope this helps.

Quick note: Each texture should be compressed in DXT1 (if no alpha is used) and DXT3 (if alpha is used).

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

Have you driven a Ford... Lately?

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:02 AM

I would think that Zmod would be the problem, I have had issues with it in the past and Textures, Zmod is also not the easiest program to Map Textures with, in my opinion.

Xegethra
  • Xegethra

Trick

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:37 PM

Hah, I think I might believe you there. I found it quite finicky trying to move the wire-frame mesh example to get the textures on. I would have preferred a way to "lock" a texture to whatever you have selected and the program would map it and fit the texture snuggly onto it....then from there you can stretch and distort it if you want. Or have it where in the little window for the texture...you move the texture and resize and stretch that instead. I dunno if such a thing exists though.

But I'll keep trying, I guess I'll have to do what SAPBird suggests, and just go over it again.

Thanks for the replies though, hopefully I will crack it. I am still open to suggestions if anybody else has any.

ALMOST610
  • ALMOST610

Have you driven a Ford... Lately?

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:48 AM

QUOTE (Xegethra @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 22:37)
Hah, I think I might believe you there. I found it quite finicky trying to move the wire-frame mesh example to get the textures on. I would have preferred a way to "lock" a texture to whatever you have selected and the program would map it and fit the texture snuggly onto it....then from there you can stretch and distort it if you want. Or have it where in the little window for the texture...you move the texture and resize and stretch that instead. I dunno if such a thing exists though.

But I'll keep trying, I guess I'll have to do what SAPBird suggests, and just go over it again.

Thanks for the replies though, hopefully I will crack it. I am still open to suggestions if anybody else has any.

Just a quick question, did you have all the textures extracted out of TXD's into TGA Format in the same folder as each of the DFF's when you imported the models into Zmod, If you do not do that it will not map the cars by default and upon export the issue you are getting will occur, I use 3DS Max which does not require me to do so, another benefit it has over Zmod.

Xegethra
  • Xegethra

Trick

• Members

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:33 PM

In TGA format? That would be a no then.

I'll try that, thanks!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users