Inside the 'Grand Theft Auto V' Soundtrack

303 replies to this topic
Demolition Man
  • Demolition Man

Made man

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (FRA1Z3R @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 08:56)
QUOTE (Zip87 @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 06:18)
QUOTE (PaddsterG2k3 @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 09:50)
QUOTE (Zip87 @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 08:54)
QUOTE (Follow The Buzzards @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 08:42)
QUOTE (Kingification @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 21:35)
Stop going on about metal, please. It's Los Santos (LA), it hardly has a metal scene, if any.

Glam metal's roots were in LA. Glam metal was all the rage during the late 80s & early 90s, so I think it'd be unfair to omit metal.

Glam metal is sh*t.

Some bay area thrash would be cool, but we have a hardcore station which is good enough. I'm pretty sure the songs we know so far isn't the full list as it's only like 19 minutes in total or something. Pretty sure there will be some crossover in ther, seeing how all the stations like to mix related genres and they're not strictly sticking to just one stereotype of music.

While some may not like it if we are arguing about different genres fitting into LA then Glam Metal should be included.

System of a Down should definitely be in imo!

Maybe if the game was set in the 80's, as glam hasn't been relevant for the past 30 years or so. Besides, it's not even a timeless genre like soul or funk. Glam was just the teen girl craze of it's time.

And SOAD. While their first album and Toxicity were good, they haven't been relevant for a good couple of years and they don't fall into that timeless category like classic rock, country or hardcore punk. SOAD is one of those bands that hadn't aged well, just like Offspring, Korn and all those bands from the early 2000's.

You are off by a decade. Those bands had already aged well in the early 2000s. Korn - formed in 1993, offspring- formed in 1984! SOAD -Formed in 1994. These are bands that helped define a generation, their work might not be so great now, but that's no reason to omit their older music now.

A perfect song that would have fit this game would have been Dr. Feelgood by Motley Crew. Just one example.

Scaglietti
  • Scaglietti

Italia

• Facade
  • Italy
  • Best Poster [Vehicles] 2016

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:17 PM

confused.gif Not trying to jump on the bandwagon but know your sh*t before you start saying things. Those of you saying Los Angeles isn't even about the metal scene clearly don't know what you all are talking about . Do you all not know how many metal bands came from Los Angeles? To be honest what is up with this California Vibe bullsh*t? So much different music is played on the radio stations in Los Angeles, present day!

TheDeaconBosco
  • TheDeaconBosco

A car so nice, they've named it twice

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

I've learned to accept every station except the Reggae one. I get that it's a timeless genre, but it really doesn't have anything to do with So/Cal. confused.gif

Demolition Man
  • Demolition Man

Made man

• Members
  • None

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (StingrayX @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 21:17)
confused.gif Not trying to jump on the bandwagon but know your sh*t before you start saying things. Those of you saying Los Angeles isn't even about the metal scene clearly don't know what you all are talking about . Do you all not know how many metal bands came from Los Angeles? To be honest what is up with this California Vibe bullsh*t? So much different music is played on the radio stations in Los Angeles, present day!

I been one of those harping on the So Cal vibe, I myself do live in Southern California so I speak from experience when it comes to what I am saying. Not that I am such an expert, but as I have said the West Coast Classics station is amazing, this Los santos Rock is just too mellow, it has good songs but there is no balance in the range of the music. Nothing really that goes hard.

You say so much different music is played today, yes indeed. But you have to remember classic rock stations still remain at the top of overall radio station listenership along with other genres. Its not like it disappeared.

I just did a quick search and found KEARTH 101 (Classic Rock, and KROQ(Alternative rock) are in the top 10 arbitron in the LA market out of almost 50 stations. Still popular.

Source
http://ratings.radio.../rol.exe/arb003

DarkStarfire
  • DarkStarfire

Snitch

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:30 AM

Still no classical station?

Lame. mad.gif

igrvks
  • igrvks

Proto Hipster

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:14 AM

I would really like to hear the original GTA theme again in GTAV. I get goosebumps just from the thought of stealing a car and "Joyride" would start playing from the radio.

Peregrin Brandytook
  • Peregrin Brandytook

One Ring to rule them all.

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (evilrex @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 16:07)
No metal?! sad.gif

ikr i need mah metal sad.gif

tsouryavong13
  • tsouryavong13

I lost on Jeopardy

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

I want to hear what the kenny loggins station is like, and I also want to know if that station plays any of my favorite songs.

Solarcellular
  • Solarcellular

Phill

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:17 PM

I am what you would call a professional metalhead, but so far I have loved every GTA radio station,
and it got me into 80's music and funk too, every since vice city!

Glam metal WOULD fit this game so well! A bit of Motley Crew, Poison and Skid Row for sure!

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mods]
    Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

Glam Metal/Punk would fit in great, especially this legendary track:

Snake Without a Tongue
  • Snake Without a Tongue

Franklin Shot Tupac

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

Jesco White? did I read that right?

EUgamer
  • EUgamer

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

Does anybody know which is the intro song (that plays first) in the FlyLo FM sample?

LINK

TheDeaconBosco
  • TheDeaconBosco

A car so nice, they've named it twice

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:38 PM

It's probably a GTA V exculsive which is why nobody can ID it.

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

"Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?"

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

Wheres the RnB sad.gif

Dr_Ramone
  • Dr_Ramone

Boppin_Machine

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

Im so excited about rebel radio! When I heard the song "I Can't Hardly Stand It" when I started the preview I went nuts! Finally som good music!

lolleroz
  • lolleroz

They might kill me, but they won't scare me.

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (Demolition Man @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 21:08)
QUOTE (FRA1Z3R @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 08:56)
QUOTE (Zip87 @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 06:18)
QUOTE (PaddsterG2k3 @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 09:50)
QUOTE (Zip87 @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 08:54)
QUOTE (Follow The Buzzards @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 08:42)
QUOTE (Kingification @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 21:35)
Stop going on about metal, please. It's Los Santos (LA), it hardly has a metal scene, if any.

Glam metal's roots were in LA. Glam metal was all the rage during the late 80s & early 90s, so I think it'd be unfair to omit metal.

Glam metal is sh*t.

Some bay area thrash would be cool, but we have a hardcore station which is good enough. I'm pretty sure the songs we know so far isn't the full list as it's only like 19 minutes in total or something. Pretty sure there will be some crossover in ther, seeing how all the stations like to mix related genres and they're not strictly sticking to just one stereotype of music.

While some may not like it if we are arguing about different genres fitting into LA then Glam Metal should be included.

System of a Down should definitely be in imo!

Maybe if the game was set in the 80's, as glam hasn't been relevant for the past 30 years or so. Besides, it's not even a timeless genre like soul or funk. Glam was just the teen girl craze of it's time.

And SOAD. While their first album and Toxicity were good, they haven't been relevant for a good couple of years and they don't fall into that timeless category like classic rock, country or hardcore punk. SOAD is one of those bands that hadn't aged well, just like Offspring, Korn and all those bands from the early 2000's.

You are off by a decade. Those bands had already aged well in the early 2000s. Korn - formed in 1993, offspring- formed in 1984! SOAD -Formed in 1994. These are bands that helped define a generation, their work might not be so great now, but that's no reason to omit their older music now.

A perfect song that would have fit this game would have been Dr. Feelgood by Motley Crew. Just one example.

I wish they'd put some Steel Panther songs, that would be great way for a glam metal comeback while keeping it realistic within current storyline year.

Feurian42
  • Feurian42

GTA WORLD POLICE

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:35 PM Edited by Feurian42, 01 September 2013 - 05:49 PM.

So basically if your over 25 and don't listen to rap, your stuck with talk radio? And how could anyone in their right mind say there is no metal scene in Cali? Too many kids on here that don't know what good music is, and don't know what they are talking about. This entire soundtrack is bland. Ok, the classic rap station is really good but the rest just come off as cheap. It seems like they were more worried about who the DJ would be rather than the songs playing. How they have a classic west coast rap station and don't include Daz Dillenger: In California, is beyond me. So many people talk like R* know good music, I call bullS41t! They know nothing if they can't finally put good rock songs and metal in a game. They crammed as much in as they could but 15 great songs are better than 20 mediocre songs. Rant over.

Ok rant not over. How does metal not fit the vibe of the game? Yeah an all out rampage through the city doesn't scream metal or hard rock. And not the new aged crap about how lonely you are or how special you wish you were, but real destroy everything including death itself metal. Do they not want Trevor to have anything to listen to? For that matter for the folks that cry about real Cali radio, why not a Christian station. It fits more than the Techno crap.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (Feurian42 @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 18:35)
So basically if your over 25 and don't listen to rap, your stuck with talk radio?

No that's not true at all, there's a Classic Drive Time Rock station, an 80s Funk station, a 60s and 70s Soul Station, a Country and Country Rock Station (with songs dating back to the 50s!), amongst others.

To say the soundtrack is bad because it's missing a metal station is also ignorance on your part.

Wheatley
  • Wheatley

The World Has Turned and Left Me Here.

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

I also noticed that it's not mentioned if Craig Connor is doing the soundtrack for GTA V even though Dan Houser in an interview said that he was.

If you don't know already Craig Connor composed the main theme for Grand Theft Auto titled "Gangster Friday" - this also appeared as Joyride by Da Shootaz in Grand Theft Auto 3. Da Shootaz was a pseudonym used by Craig Conner.

He also did the entire Manhunt soundtrack, which added to the already present grittiness and unknowing theme the game had.

Feurian42
  • Feurian42

GTA WORLD POLICE

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

QUOTE (Ash_735 @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 17:57)
So basically if your over 25 and don't listen to rap, your stuck with talk radio?

No that's not true at all, there's a Classic Drive Time Rock station, an 80s Funk station, a 60s and 70s Soul Station, a Country and Country Rock Station (with songs dating back to the 50s!), amongst others.

To say the soundtrack is bad because it's missing a metal station is also ignorance on your part.

That was a stab at the people saying metal didn't have a place in the game, and there is never ignorance on my part. The stations you mentioned, the soul and funk should have been on one station, the drive time station has a flat out weak lineup, and the country was like everything else you posted about ----not metal.

In fact you could not have understood my post because it was not it crayon....all of the music in this game is bland except for the classic hip hop and while there is a lot of easy listening type music this usually isn't an easy listening type game. GTA has always been better with metal even if it wasn't in the game. The fact that you spoke without understanding my post would in fact be ignorance on your part.

Showstopper 26
  • Showstopper 26

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:17 PM

I'm so happy there's no metal.

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

"Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?"

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (Showstopper 26 @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 18:17)

I never listened to it in Iv, I don't how people can listen to it but then again people listen to Justin bieber and thats 100000000x worse

Xayias
  • Xayias

Twitter @ItsThatJeremyC

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (Wheatley @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 21:31)

Here's Tangerine Dream by the way for anyone wanting to take a listen to his previous work. Take a listen at around 10:40 ish and you can hear an awesome track that would sound perfect during a bank heist.

That bit at 10:40 reminded me of the music in the beginning of the gameplay trailer. Nice!

ScottishHeist123
  • ScottishHeist123

After 5 years on the East Coast, it's time to go home...

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (Showstopper 26 @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 19:17)

icon14.gif Agreed. Whilst I thought the metal soundtrack fitted well with Johnny Klebitz and TLAD, I have never liked listening to it in GTA, as I always thought Classic Rock was a much better, more fitting genre. I'm not much of a metal fan, anyway, so perhaps I have a bit of a bias view!

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (Feurian42 @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 19:14)
QUOTE (Ash_735 @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 17:57)

That was a stab at the people saying metal didn't have a place in the game, and there is never ignorance on my part. The stations you mentioned, the soul and funk should have been on one station, the drive time station has a flat out weak lineup, and the country was like everything else you posted about ----not metal.

In fact you could not have understood my post because it was not it crayon....all of the music in this game is bland except for the classic hip hop and while there is a lot of easy listening type music this usually isn't an easy listening type game. GTA has always been better with metal even if it wasn't in the game. The fact that you spoke without understanding my post would in fact be ignorance on your part.

I'm not going to get into an argument with you over this, so chill out, but understand, I'm a bit let down to, I would of at least wanted a Glam station, the fact that a Desert Rock station is missing completely is just insane odd, etc, but we have to make do with what we're dealt, the funk and soul stations are worlds apart, luckily I enjoy a lot of genres so I can at least appreciate those, but the way metal fans are acting is rather insane considering GTA IV and TLAD had updates for Punk Metal and Death Metal, it's not like Rockstar have completely ignored Metal fans (hell, even Chinatown Wars had Anvil's station). There's no need to resort to insulting other members though and making false accusations because one genre you like isn't on the soundtrack, no offense, but that makes you look like a dick.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

QUOTE (Showstopper 26 @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 13:17)

Why. If you dont like it dont listen to it. I dont like latin music but im glad there is a station for it because its fitting.

LA has a great metal scene, but not really any mainstream metal stations, so I understand why there isnt a station. But saying your so happy there isnt metal just makes me think you are intolerant of other peoples taste in music.

dansaint
  • dansaint

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

the classic rock station isn't that bad the more I look at it.

Some pretty decent songs on there.

I've mentioned it elsewhere but I'm finally glad Def Leppard finally has a song in the game after being mentioned numerous times in VC, SA, and GTA IV but no songs (mainly due to their label not releasing anything).

That station, the 80's funk station, and the two talk stations will be the most listened to by me.

Showstopper 26
  • Showstopper 26

Big Homie

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 15:03)
QUOTE (Showstopper 26 @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 13:17)

Why. If you dont like it dont listen to it. I dont like latin music but im glad there is a station for it because its fitting.

LA has a great metal scene, but not really any mainstream metal stations, so I understand why there isnt a station. But saying your so happy there isnt metal just makes me think you are intolerant of other peoples taste in music.

I should have worded it differently. I'm happy in the sense that I wouldn't have wanted a metal station to replace anything already there.

mauZz
  • mauZz

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

Is there any word on some Hardstyle, (vocal) trance or dubstep stations?

TBH i'm quite dissapointed so far with the music stations i've heard the previews of

jogy
  • jogy

GTAF Alumni

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (mauZz @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 20:09)
Is there any word on some Hardstyle, (vocal) trance or dubstep stations?

TBH i'm quite dissapointed so far with the music stations i've heard the previews of

No. And they dont fit in a LS setting. Those stations are carefully selected because Rockstar wants us to feel that LA/LS vibe.

No hardstyle or dubstep. Thats more for the European market.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users