Photo

Nintendo Announces '2DS'

39 replies to this topic
Durden
  • Durden

The annoying voice in your head

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:13 PM Edited by gionascm2, 28 August 2013 - 07:06 PM.

Nintendo announced the 2DS today, a new entry-level handheld system. The 2DS will be available for $129.99 on October 12th (the same day as Pokemon X and Y) and features a slate-like design rather than the clamshell seen on DS and 3DS models.

The 2DS is fully compatible with all 3DS and DS games but does not include the ability to display games in 3D. It still features all the functionality of 3DS (WiFi, local multiplayer, etc.) and can be put to sleep using a slider that replicates closing the clamshell on a standard 3DS. WiFi can still be turned off, though it’s done via controls in the software rather than with a physical switch.

“Imagine a standard 3DS laid all the way flat, and with the depth slider all the way down,” Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime explained to IGN. “Everything else is there in the system.”

The 2DS will launch in red and blue models to start and will be sold alongside the standard 3DS (still available for $169.99) and 3DS XL ($199.99). It will include a 4GB SD card and uses the same power source as 3DS and DSi. It also includes two cameras on the back side, so AR games still function and players can still take 3D photos -- they simply can’t be displayed on the 2DS, but are still viewable in full 3D if transferred to 3DS. The 2DS only includes one speaker, which plays mono sound, but features full stereo via its headphone jack.

-IGN
Read the full story here: http://ca.ign.com/ar...o-announces-2ds

I sort of understand the design of it. The demographic is supposedly young children too young for a 3DS (since they may break a 3DS due to its foldable nature), but I don't think many infants will use it. I've seen numerous infants trying to play with a 3DS and they don't know what they're doing. I think this is gonna flop. Thoughts?

android
  • android

Moth is Invalid

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Italy
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

What the...f*ck? Are they serious?

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

Gay.

celozzip
  • celozzip

Peon

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

i would totally buy that as an upgrade to my ds

" features a slate-like design rather than the clamshell "

oh nevermind.

Johan
  • Johan

• Members
  • Dominican-Republic

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

I really thought Nintendo would step their game up, I believed in them while others trashed their Wii-U.

Today they announced a price drop for their most expensive version of the console by 50$, not worth it.. and announced a bundle with that Zelda game.. again not worth it.

Then comes the Nintendo 2DS which absolutely looks like the worst idea they've ever came up with this gen, what were they thinking?

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

You can obviously tell this is fake.

Just that it isn't 1st April doesn't mean people can't make jokes.

Firefly8000
  • Firefly8000

The Harwood Butcher

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

I dunno Fireman, after the Wii Mini this hardly seems like a joke.

RedDagger
  • RedDagger

Crash test dummy

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:45 PM

Y'know, the main selling point for this would be how cheap it is compared to the 3DS, and people would get it just for pokemn X & Y.

I'd hope it's serious for their wallets' sake.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

It is serious. You can see it as an offshoot of the 3DS brand, much like the ds mini or whatever was before. $129 for being able to play 3DS titles is immensely attractive. Might pick it up as a second DS for me and my girlfriend, so we can play stuff together.

Now, I'll be waiting for something down the road, the DS that will bridge the gap between the WiiU and itself, with the capability of acting as the WiiU gamepad and playing the WiiU games streamed from the console. Now that would be awesome.

Durden
  • Durden

The annoying voice in your head

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

I never really was a Nintendo guy; their games are just too soft for me. But, because of the low price, I would've considered buying this if it was foldable. Its just too damn big to warrant my purchase.

Trund
  • Trund

I'm all of ach fo her

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:29 PM

Must be April 1st in Japan today. This thing looks like a huge joke, honestly. And I thought Nintendo would learn out of the Wii U debacle, guess not. I'd rather get a 3DS than that crap.

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

Wasn't DS just 3ds without 3d? So what's the point in making something as atrocious as this. Has to be fake.

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

I will turn your life upside down!

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

AS much as I hope it is fake, it is even on the nintendo website guys..

http://www.nintendo.com/3ds

Is it a Joke?? IDK

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• The Connection
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA Online]

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:59 PM

Or you could just buy the DS Lite..

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (gtavpoliceimprovements @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 18:59)
Or you could just buy the DS Lite..

Or you could just turn off the 3d on the 3DS...

Or just buy the 2DS...

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Canada

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:05 PM

Nintendo 2DS - the "Death Rattle"

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:07 PM

Oh dear. That looks so disappointing. Firstly, it doesn't have two parts so it can't open and close, that also defeats the point of having two screens, they could just have one. Secondly, they took a step backwards they were developing a 3D console and went back to 2D with a name that hadn't had much thought behind it. Finally, why don't Nintendo make a gaming tablet instead of whatever that is meant to be confused.gif

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:23 PM

Let's go by parts:

Oh dear. That looks so disappointing. Firstly, it doesn't have two parts so it can't open and close, that also defeats the point of having two screens, they could just have one.

How does it defeat the point of having two screens? Two screens for the DS is still better than 1, cause you can focus gameplay on one screen while giving other status on the other screen. The fact it doesn't open and close has no bearing whatsoever on the fact of having two screens. It makes it less portable, to be sure.

Secondly, they took a step backwards they were developing a 3D console and went back to 2D with a name that hadn't had much thought behind it.

Actually, they listened to their customers. They had several surveys to nintendo club members about their utilization of 3D. It must have been low enough. And this lowers the entry point for 3DS games, now you can buy this $129 model, without 3D, to play the new games instead of putting in $169 or more. It also makes sense for their target audience; kids. Nintendo explains that the 3D is not advisable for kids under 7, and that it needs to be shut down every now and then to give your eyes rest. This model put the parent's mind at ease knowing that his kid will be ok, and is also cheaper. The name doesn't sound very good, but hey, it works.

Finally, why don't Nintendo make a gaming tablet instead of whatever that is meant to be confused.gif

And keep the same low price? Unlikely. At least, for now. They are not going to release a new generation of DS so soon after the release of the 3DS. Wait a couple of years, and we'll definitely see something along those lines, and hopefully something that connects with the WiiU.

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

I could see it now.

Kid1: My dad brought me 2DS.
Kid2 think Kid 1 got 2 DS's and says: You must be one rich mofo.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Scuse me, while I kiss this guy.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Most Knowledgeable [Movies & TV] 2013

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:31 PM

I'm still playing my Special Edition NES style Game Boy Advance SP. I got Super Mario World, The original Zelda and A Link to the Past, Excite Bike, and Metroid. What else do I need?

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:41 PM Edited by Fireman, 28 August 2013 - 07:45 PM.

You'd figure that by now everyone who did desperately wanted to play any specific game for the 3DS would've bought a 3DS by now (2nd-handed, they're abouit $120), and if they didn't, there's no way they can suddenly cough up more than $100,- which is still a lot of money.

And you can just turn off the 3D on a 3DS -.-

The retarded design and the quote:
“Imagine a standard 3DS laid all the way flat, and with the depth slider all the way down,” Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime explained to IGN. “Everything else is there in the system.”

Are typical lolmasters.

Chris Fromage
  • Chris Fromage

Homie

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

Doesn't look that bad imo. Reminds me of the Gameboy Advance:

user posted image

sublimelabs
  • sublimelabs

The Jimmy Rustler

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

Hideous design.

They gotta make up for WiiU losses somehow, I guess. Dunno how to feel about this. It's always great to have options, but this just seems like Nintendo is acknowledging that the 3D in the 3DS is a gimmick with not much substance.

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

What makes me uncomfortable just looking at the design is where the controls are. Maybe it is just me, but I cannot see myself holding a device where the controls are on of the device. There is just no resting space with too much of the bottom half sticking out below.

This makes me want my gameboy advance SP back. I loved how small and sleek that device was.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:14 AM

I like this comment!

I'm waiting for the 4DS so I can play games that transcend space and time!

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 02:27 AM

Umm, isn't this exactly what the original DS is, 3DS without 3D? I can't believe that they'd put the time into creating something like this. There are WAYY more creative things to come up with.

android
  • android

Moth is Invalid

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Italy
  • Best Mobile OS

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:39 AM

We need a new Gameboy... make it happen Nintendo..

#GetOffYourLazyAssesAndMakeANewGameboyAdvanceForUsHashtagsAreSof*ckingStupid2013

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:14 AM

I agree with Antagonista, to be honest. I'd love to see a new Gameboy.

mrpain
  • mrpain

wub wub

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:15 AM

So I'm the only one looking forward to this? I'm a broke ass college student and the 2DS is everything I can ask for. It's a cheaper alternative for me and I can finally play games like Animal Crossing and the upcoming Pokemon X and Y. Definitely getting this for my birthday. I never really cared for the 3D option anyways.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:16 AM

I think it would be great if it was foldable. Honestly, the idea of 2D only 3DS is pretty cool for those that want to play 3DS games while saving a good amount of money. Also, some people might see the 3D feature as a "gimmick".

I just hope this is a small thing from Nintendo. They shouldn't be jamming an excessive amount of money into it unless it gains high demand.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users