Quantcast

» «
Photo

Am I the only one who likes GTA AND Saints Row?

42 replies to this topic
fridaynightscream
  • fridaynightscream

Lost Kings Street Soldier, Fighting And Making Money.

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:44 PM

Why all the hate for Saints Row? Everyone thinks it's a GTA ripoff, just because it's an open world gangster game that doesn't have the GTA name on it, and whenever I tell people I like Saints Row on here, I get blasted with hate and people tell me I'm a little kid who should go back to playing Call of Duty. Well I am not a little kid, but I play Call of Duty! Right now I'm playing Saints Row 2, the only one I've played, but I thinks its one of the funniest video games I've ever played! I like it more than GTA IV but not as much as San Andreas. I'm trying to beat Saints Row 2 before Grand Theft Auto V comes out, I'm about 35% completed, I did the Sons of Ramedi missions, I'm about halfway through the Brotherhood missions, and I'm starting to do the Ronnin missions. So, why all the hate for Saints Row by GTA fans? I seriously think that no one has actually played Saints Row on here and people are immature and hate it because it is a gangster open world game that doesn't have Grand Theft Auto in the title.

Sleepy187.
  • Sleepy187.

Infamous

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:50 PM

No. smile.gif
I LOVE Saints Row 1 & 2, and I like 3, but I'm not going to try out 4, unless it becomes like $5 on Steam.

Lazyboy.
  • Lazyboy.

dat was mad tekkers bruh

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

No, you're not the only one, and you never will be the only one. You're never the only one.

friendly luggage
  • friendly luggage

Catch a ride!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

The Saints Row series isn't bad. It's like GTA I suppose but both have their unique points. I haven't played the latest one but the previous games were a great laugh with friends, and makes a change from GTA IV. I don't like how a lot of advertised items is DLC like the Genki cannon though.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

Well people here prefer GTA over SR as this is a GTA forum after all. I never played SR 1 or 2 and people seem to like them the best however i did try SR 3 and it was sh*t and by the looks of SR 4 it seems like they have very little effort into the game itself.

Trund
  • Trund

I'm all of ach fo her

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:53 PM

I like Saints Row, but SR3 was a little meh, and SR4 is just... too much... So I hope they'll go back to the roots eventually, or this game will simply not be the same anymore.

CP27
  • CP27

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:01 PM

Don't you know you can't like...

GTA & Saints Row
GTA & Watch_Dogs
CoD & Battlefield

Etc.

Johan.
  • Johan.

Legen, wait for it... dary.

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

We all know most of the threads that ask if they're the only one.. are never the only one.

I for one enjoy both franchises because I'm not a blinded fan boy.

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( ´-`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (fridaynightscream @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 06:44)
Why all the hate for Saints Row?

There's hate for Saint's Row? dontgetit.gif

FranklinDeRoosevelt
  • FranklinDeRoosevelt

32nd President of Los Santos

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

4 is the WORST by far. 3 was terrible. 1 was okay and 2 is the best.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:45 PM Edited by brian., 28 August 2013 - 04:53 PM.

I can't stand Saints Row. I think that if they developed it in RAGE engine, it would have been a lot better.

If the only difference was that it was all taking place in RAGE engine, and what I mean is, if it carried that level of development, I would accept the immature, childish, sometimes-funny stuff in the game, but it's the way it plays is so bad. Put the exact same art, people, everything in rage engine, then at least it would "feel" good.

It's easy to attack it as a straight up rip off of GTA - it literally is just that. Down to the shapes of their map, which copies GTA, but isn't anywhere near the quality. And when being IN the map, it's very poorly created with a lot of rendering effects over it that do not adequately hide the very badly modeled and textured landscape.

It's a polished turd. A fan would probably agree and say it's brilliant how even the map is a joke, this game is so hilarious, doesn't take itself seriously etc.

I cannot be sold a game on attitude and personality alone - especially one whose personality is this immature and tasteless. Rockstar pushes the envelope on mass media parody, tastefully, and dark it may be, I cannot remember a time where it felt like a gag or immature.

Gameplay that saints row provides is not akin to the old GTA's. I've often said that I liked Saints Row better in 2004, when it was called san andreas.

For me, that gives the game too much credit. They really haven't gotten the arcade gameplay right, and everything is just so bad looking.

And I'm not going to be bias. Some things alarm me and worry me about GTA V, being too much like saints row - the sniper "red and green light up hit indicators" is one thing that right pisses me off about GTA V.

But at the end of the day, all of the easy things to point out about the utter lack of integrity developmentally in Saints Row series, they do not get overlooked because of a more-remedial-than-edgy lack of integrity in the game's personality.

The game itself does not play well, there are so many other games to play, and after buying both Saints Row 2 and Saints Row 3 now, and being completely and utterly befuddled at how anyone can think it is fun, well developed, or even consistently funny is beyond me.

I have now preferred playing through GTA IV and its DLC a few times over while I have tried and tried to get into Saints Row 2 and 3 on PC, but no matter how much they polish that turd of badly implenteded gameplay mechanics and poorly modeled art and VERY poorly handled materials, it's still a turd, and it still stinks.

If GTA didn't exist, I still would not play that game. GTA not even considered, Saints Row is the complete opposite of a well developed game.

It rides on the humor of the lower mind and marketing. For all of its flaws, it manages to capture an audience. It cannot be denied that people, such as yourself, have found something they enjoy about Saints Row enough to actually put it on their top lists and some of them even rate it higher than GTA, which almost gives me cancer, but people seem to really like it.

Whatever makes people like that game, I like to believe that it is definitely not the story, the writing, the humor, nor the gameplay mechanics and interaction with the world, nor the art in any way because of how utterly "wrong" it all is, in terms of proper use of materials and shaders and smoothing groups and just plain how to model something right or wrong lol.

So I like to believe it isn't those things - what I want to one day find out, hopefully in this thread, is, what IS it that people attach to? And how old are they I guess?

I have a sneaking suspicion that the vast majority of Row players are very young- I'm not saying adults can't like the game that was designed supposedly for them, and I want to hear from you and your most detailed opinions, but I suspect the vast vast majority of SR players are kids who don't realized that they are playing garbage. Kids who THINK this is the game us grown ups are playing, and thinking they are "getting away with something", when really, no one is doing that. Like a kid shooting heroin because he thinks all the adults are doing it, but it's just his own older brother and his messed up friends - like that. It's like, I think they are kids who think they are being bad, and not actually about the game for them, but the ability to say "I play saints row, I am awesome".

I am reminded of so many peds from san andreas when I think of saints row players - and I feel horrible when I do.

This is just my opinion, especially the garbage part, it's just my tastes. I'm not saying you're wrong for liking SR series, I want to understand why you do, when for me so many fundamental things are done so completely wrong even down to a game development and 3d visualization standpoint, I can't even enjoy it enough to even give it a review - I can't review the game, because I can't tolerate it long enough to formulate an entire opinion on it. The broken fundamentals completely depprive me of it, so I hope to vicariously pick up on why you guys who do like this game, like it, because it utterly repulses me in every way, and I SHOULD at least like the humor, but that is garbage to me as well, so it's one of the most interesting conversations I can think of about gaming for me, because it can give me a lot of new insight in figuring out how Saints Row stays around, and perhaps more importantly for me personally, inform me about a sector of the audience that I don't understand.

Thanks for taking the time, and thanks for any information that will be offered.

RedDaggerXL
  • RedDaggerXL

Crash test dummy

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (brian. @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 16:45)
-snip-

I can summarise what I got from your post.

1. You hate that people like things you don't.

2. Since the game isn't serious and/or like GTA, it obviously sucks.

To both of these, wow. Just wow.

"I'm not saying you're wrong for liking SR series" - But you are...?

OT: Saints row looks kinda cool, but I always think of crackdown when looking at SRIV which seemed to just do things...better.

fridaynightscream
  • fridaynightscream

Lost Kings Street Soldier, Fighting And Making Money.

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (brian. @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 16:45)
I can't stand Saints Row. I think that if they developed it in RAGE engine, it would have been a lot better.

If the only difference was that it was all taking place in RAGE engine, and what I mean is, if it carried that level of development, I would accept the immature, childish, sometimes-funny stuff in the game, but it's the way it plays is so bad. Put the exact same art, people, everything in rage engine, then at least it would "feel" good.

It's easy to attack it as a straight up rip off of GTA - it literally is just that. Down to the shapes of their map, which copies GTA, but isn't anywhere near the quality. And when being IN the map, it's very poorly created with a lot of rendering effects over it that do not adequately hide the very badly modeled and textured landscape.

It's a polished turd. A fan would probably agree and say it's brilliant how even the map is a joke, this game is so hilarious, doesn't take itself seriously etc.

I cannot be sold a game on attitude and personality alone - especially one whose personality is this immature and tasteless. Rockstar pushes the envelope on mass media parody, tastefully, and dark it may be, I cannot remember a time where it felt like a gag or immature.

Gameplay that saints row provides is not akin to the old GTA's. I've often said that I liked Saints Row better in 2004, when it was called san andreas.

For me, that gives the game too much credit. They really haven't gotten the arcade gameplay right, and everything is just so bad looking.

And I'm not going to be bias. Some things alarm me and worry me about GTA V, being too much like saints row - the sniper "red and green light up hit indicators" is one thing that right pisses me off about GTA V.

But at the end of the day, all of the easy things to point out about the utter lack of integrity developmentally in Saints Row series, they do not get overlooked because of a more-remedial-than-edgy lack of integrity in the game's personality.

The game itself does not play well, there are so many other games to play, and after buying both Saints Row 2 and Saints Row 3 now, and being completely and utterly befuddled at how anyone can think it is fun, well developed, or even consistently funny is beyond me.

I have now preferred playing through GTA IV and its DLC a few times over while I have tried and tried to get into Saints Row 2 and 3 on PC, but no matter how much they polish that turd of badly implenteded gameplay mechanics and poorly modeled art and VERY poorly handled materials, it's still a turd, and it still stinks.

If GTA didn't exist, I still would not play that game. GTA not even considered, Saints Row is the complete opposite of a well developed game.

It rides on the humor of the lower mind and marketing. For all of its flaws, it manages to capture an audience. It cannot be denied that people, such as yourself, have found something they enjoy about Saints Row enough to actually put it on their top lists and some of them even rate it higher than GTA, which almost gives me cancer, but people seem to really like it.

Whatever makes people like that game, I like to believe that it is definitely not the story, the writing, the humor, nor the gameplay mechanics and interaction with the world, nor the art in any way because of how utterly "wrong" it all is, in terms of proper use of materials and shaders and smoothing groups and just plain how to model something right or wrong lol.

So I like to believe it isn't those things - what I want to one day find out, hopefully in this thread, is, what IS it that people attach to? And how old are they I guess?

I have a sneaking suspicion that the vast majority of Row players are very young- I'm not saying adults can't like the game that was designed supposedly for them, and I want to hear from you and your most detailed opinions, but I suspect the vast vast majority of SR players are kids who don't realized that they are playing garbage. Kids who THINK this is the game us grown ups are playing, and thinking they are "getting away with something", when really, no one is doing that. Like a kid shooting heroin because he thinks all the adults are doing it, but it's just his own older brother and his messed up friends - like that. It's like, I think they are kids who think they are being bad, and not actually about the game for them, but the ability to say "I play saints row, I am awesome".

I am reminded of so many peds from san andreas when I think of saints row players - and I feel horrible when I do.

This is just my opinion, especially the garbage part, it's just my tastes. I'm not saying you're wrong for liking SR series, I want to understand why you do, when for me so many fundamental things are done so completely wrong even down to a game development and 3d visualization standpoint, I can't even enjoy it enough to even give it a review - I can't review the game, because I can't tolerate it long enough to formulate an entire opinion on it. The broken fundamentals completely depprive me of it, so I hope to vicariously pick up on why you guys who do like this game, like it, because it utterly repulses me in every way, and I SHOULD at least like the humor, but that is garbage to me as well, so it's one of the most interesting conversations I can think of about gaming for me, because it can give me a lot of new insight in figuring out how Saints Row stays around, and perhaps more importantly for me personally, inform me about a sector of the audience that I don't understand.

Thanks for taking the time, and thanks for any information that will be offered.

user posted image

But if you wanna tell me why you hate Saints Row, don't write a whole f*cking essay on it!

ClaudeSpeed1911
  • ClaudeSpeed1911

J.E.C.

• Members
  • Palestine

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

Saints Row 1 and 2 was good but 3 wasn't that good still fun but not much, Now Saints 4 I heard many good things about it so I will get it down the road but still not sure if I like the direction it went.

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

This member title is 100% renewable

• Members
  • Ireland

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (brian. @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 17:45)

So the series can be called an even bigger rip-off of GTA?

RedDaggerXL
  • RedDaggerXL

Crash test dummy

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (WildBrick142 @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 20:09)
QUOTE (brian. @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 17:45)
I can't stand Saints Row. I think that if  they developed it in RAGE engine, it would have been a lot better.

So the series can be called an even bigger rip-off of GTA?

You can tell by what he wrote that he just wants it to be GTA.

He also hates how it tries to be GTA.

This makes sense when you realise he's a troll.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

Nope. As a matter of fact, I LOVE both GTA and SR. You wanna know what else? I enjoy SR3 more than SR2. SR goes in it's own direction, just like GTA does.

Doublepulse
  • Doublepulse

I will turn your life upside down!

• The Yardies

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

It is a little silly to think you are the only one who likes both games. I personally do not give 2 sh*ts about the arguments both games have, they are both fun in their own ways. I can see why some hardcore GTA Fans would be angry at what they did with SR3 and SR4, but because GTA dominates a lot of sandbox games, it kind of makes sense why they would go the route they did. There would not be anything unique about keeping gameplay about the gangs against each other because GTA already does that.

Now that is not to say, Volition can fail to make it interesting, if they decide to ever go back to the roots of SR2, but I think the chance of that is pretty low. It turned into wacky and nonsense, but does not mean it is not fun. I have not played SR4. but based on what I have seen so far, it looks like there are some improvements from SR3 and they just decided to go crazy with this one.

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 08:55 PM Edited by brian., 28 August 2013 - 09:00 PM.

I don't "just want it to be GTA", I want it to be polished and actually FEEL good when playing it, not all clunky and corny.

RDR isn't GTA, neither is bully. Put SR in that engine, the way they did RDR and Bully, it would be instantly PLAYABLE at least lol.

It just feels so old and clunky, looks bad, it is not about "it's not GTA", it's about LIKE I SAID IN THE POST, even if GTA didn't exist, I still wouldn't play that garbage, it's just not a very well developed game.

It feels and looks like something that would come between GTA II and GTA III in gameplay, and looks like something a remedial person would model and texture.

GTA completely aside, it's a badly developed game, and I can bet its success is based solely on children buying it to be cool, not because they actually know the difference between garbage and well developed games (lore and gameplay both considered)

It's popular because it is an explicit CD. But the artist is still sh*t. Basically.

So what I want to understand - the entire reason I wrote it all out so in depth - is what am I MISSING? You know guys? What did I not ever consider? I really want to like the games - they are long games with lots of things to do, what can get me past the first hour in Saints Row 3 without feeling like I'm retarded? What can make me feel it is worth it to get through the aesthetics and poor modeling, the ugly textures, and over badly implemented gameplay mechanics? What should I experience in this game, that I can't get - better - elsewhere? Is my question.

RedDaggerXL
  • RedDaggerXL

Crash test dummy

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE (brian. @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 20:55)
-snip-

Well you can get off your troll-y high horse for a start.

And stop contradicting yourself as well, that'd help.

OT: I'm reminded of seeing Nerd3 play both GTA and SR, he finds SR funny for what the deliberate humour, and GTA funny for the ragdoll physics and euphoria engine; they don't have to be compared on the same merits, and you can like them on different planes of reasoning.

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:15 PM

I use to love the hell out of both until SR3 came out. It just isn't my cup of tea. I don't bash them, though, but if someone asks for my opinion on SR# or 4, I'd tell them that it sucks. Manny others may like it, and I respect them for being open to other games.

tommyboy9413
  • tommyboy9413

Danger

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

I like both series. GTA because it's harder, and gives me more of a challenge. Saints Row for the fact that you can make a female character, and I think it's easier. When online comes out for GTA I'm making a female character.

fgcarva1
  • fgcarva1

Il Figlioccio

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:49 PM

Of course not! A guy made a poll a few days back where the only option was to choose both, silly. lol.gif

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:18 PM

to each their own. Without comparing the two games directly, there are some games that nail controls and driving and flying and such, and make it enjoyable, and there are some games that don't, these two happen to be one copied the other, so I think this is why the two are compared so fervently. For me, SR does "everything" wrong many games do things right, some do them sloppy, it's my own taste - to each their own, no one is a troll, don't be a baiter.

I can justify Saints Row and Stillwater Steelwater, whatever the name is these days, in one way in my mind, and that would be to describe it as "a parody of liberty city" - but I never see them cop to that and outright say it, never say "we are parodying GTA".

Further, in a more "political" sense, I deeply appreciate Saints Row series regardless of my own distaste for it because you cannot go after Rockstar Games if you don't go after Volition first these days.

That, and it also confirms for me it was never about the sex, drugs, or rock and roll and criminal activity when it came to GTA any more than it was about that for the Beatles. It also shows that they were never after "lewd acts in a video game", they were after Rockstar and their message, it was personal.

So I appreciate Saints Row most of all for being that revelation to those able to see it.

gpcguy1
  • gpcguy1

Soldier

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:36 PM

I don't like Saints Row 3/4 because they cut the things from the game and sell micro transactions.

Saints Row 1 and 2 were great quality full games.

Saints Row 3 and 4 is what I would expect from EA.

ugotsmoked
  • ugotsmoked

SHUT UP AND BLEED

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:32 AM

I like them both...Make no mistake though GTA >>> SR...In my opinion of course.

TheUnholy
  • TheUnholy

Big Dong and Prosper

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:42 AM Edited by MarijuanaMonkey, 29 August 2013 - 12:44 AM.

I like both Saints Row and GTA but of course I like GTA more. GTA is more realistic, just like combination of real-life and fiction, as I like necessary realism in games. Saints Row is more like a game for fun, you can have more entertained times in SR than you have in GTA, it's because Saints Row is more crazy than GTA, in entertainment and fun means. GTA is more dependent to the scenario and has good ones, as I primarily give importance to scenario, GTA wins the competition for me. Saints Row 1 & 2 are pretty dependent to the scenario if they're compared to Saints Row 3 & 4 (I didn't play SR 4 but I know it has a sh*tty scenario). If Saints Row had been sticked to the way it was, it would be a hotter, more raged rival to the GTA. Because Saints Row 1 & 2 had served both scenario (although it wasn't good enough) and super funny entertainment together. If you look at GTA, it serves every of them; awesome scenarios, graphics (perfect for the time they released), fun & entertainment, free gameplay... that's why GTA has become a legend and still stands, it talks to all the player types. I don't say SR is a bad game but if we compare it to GTA, I would say GTA for good. However I appreciate Saints Row for the sense of fun that it has brought to the gaming world.

Voit Turyv
  • Voit Turyv

The Emperor of Outworld

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

No, you are not. smile.gif I like both series. I've been playing SR2, SR3 and SR4, they provide things that GTA can't: making a character, customisation of almost every vehicle and tons of specific fun. While I've been a GTA fan since my childhood, I am waiting for GTA V for PC as much as I was for SR4.

Ambient_
  • Ambient_

Loving GTA:O

• Members
  • None

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:31 PM

Why would you be the only one when there are billions of people alive today?

killerbee25
  • killerbee25

The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars.

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:22 PM

I actually prefered SR2 over IVSorry MVC, while considering them both excellent games. The thing that I hated in SR2 was the driving. It really sucked in my opinion.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users