Are you proud of your country?

201 replies to this topic
D4 Damager
  • D4 Damager

Listening to the Mandolin Rain...

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 August 2013 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (TiddleyWinker @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 10:25)
QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 14:46)
My country has just comitted a false flag operation through its proxies - a chemical weapon attack that killed children - and it is using that as a precursor for missile strikes to topple the Syrian government. So no, I'm not proud.

Pretty much this. I like being English and if possible I'd like to stay British. I love our traditions, I'm a true tea drinker. I think we have a great history and I'm proud of my ancestors and how far we've come.

However, I don't like my government, I don't like how my country is turning, I don't like how it's being invaded by Muslims and I don't like how you're labeled a racist when I decide to fly a St George's Cross from my window during the world cup. I recognise my government is responsible for more bad than good, then again who's isn't?

Oh ye I also hate how at times we are either the 51st state of America or a slave to Europe. Never British. In fact we're encouraged not to be British, as that would be wrong, obviously.

So which wing of the EDL do you belong to? Muslims aren't invading, they're immigrating.

and @JOSEPH X: Stop talking sh*te.

QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 12:02)

He shouldn't assume he'd be miserable in Africa and look at slavery as some kind of blessing. Perhaps he should do some research on the impact slavery and other colonial acts had on that continent, particularly Western Africa which is where his ancestors are most likely from.

Well how is he supposed to look at it? By a simple accident of fate he's been transported to a developed nation from a developing area of Africa which is at the moment beset with civil war and strife. It is safe to assume that his quality of life in the West is better than it would be across 95% of West Africa, and so yes to him personally slavery was a blessing.

Note: Before you start frantically constructing straw men I'm not attempting to justify slavery, I'm just saying that it worked out very well for their descendants who now live in developed societies.

LibertyKing
  • LibertyKing

Homie

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (m00n_Chaser @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 00:06)
QUOTE (Libertyking @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 17:40)
- We have a stupid law where English is forbidden on street sings and shops e.g.: Staples is named "Bureau en Gros", which means "Wholesale Office", and it's written "Arrêt" on stop sings. In the 80s, it was written "Arrêt" and "Stop" beneath. Just like they think French people don't know what "Stop" means.

I'm guessing you are anglophone. Ya, I'm from Alberta and what gives Québec it's bad reputation out here seems to be the way over- zealous language police.

I'm francophone, but I still find this law stupid. Who cares if some stop signs and shop names are in English? Even in France it's not like that.

MrSteakson
  • MrSteakson

My penis is my best friend.

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:51 PM

I know I posted in here before, but I simply have to post again. I'm proud of my country, now more than ever, and I don't care what those westerners say about it. I'm a normal citizen, I'm not a gypsy, I'm not a thief, and the only reason I'd ever wanna go to the west would be to visit those incredible landmarks. Even on this forum I've been called all sorts of names because of my nationality, I don't let it bother me. I love Romania, and I'm willing to overlook all its flaws.

If you guys don't want us there in Britain, then fine, guess you have to make room for all the Pakis.

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (MrSteakson @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 13:51)
I know I posted in here before, but I simply have to post again. I'm proud of my country, now more than ever, and I don't care what those westerners say about it. I'm a normal citizen, I'm not a gypsy, I'm not a thief, and the only reason I'd ever wanna go to the west would be to visit those incredible landmarks. Even on this forum I've been called all sorts of names because of my nationality, I don't let it bother me. I love Romania, and I'm willing to overlook all its flaws.

If you guys don't want us there in Britain, then fine, guess you have to make room for all the Pakis.

I was with you until the Paki comment at the end, why'd you have to go and ruin it?

MrSteakson
  • MrSteakson

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 13:54)

I was with you until the Paki comment at the end, why'd you have to go and ruin it?

You guys make fun of us all the damn time (you westerners I mean, not you Brits in particular), and we never respond. smile.gif

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (MrSteakson @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 13:58)

You guys make fun of us all the damn time (you westerners I mean, not you Brits in particular), and we never respond. smile.gif

Yea but you kind of sh*tted on another ethnic group at the end of your speech and a group that's not even Western no less.

MrSteakson
  • MrSteakson

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 14:03)

Yea but you kind of sh*tted on another ethnic group at the end of your speech and a group that's not even Western no less.

I was making fun of your government's policy of allowing Pakistanis to come in huge numbers to your country, because they were once upon a time Crown subjects, and not allowing us and the Bulgarians to come to the UK, even though we're supposedly European citizens, but you people consider us second class citizens. Of course you don't understand, you've never had to face xenophobia in your life. As someone who's travelled all over Europe, I've experienced enough to last me a lifetime.

EscoLehGo
  • EscoLehGo

Ya Dingus

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE (MrSteakson @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 14:07)

I was making fun of your government's policy of allowing Pakistanis to come in huge numbers to your country, because they were once upon a time Crown subjects, and not allowing us and the Bulgarians to come to the UK, even though we're supposedly European citizens, but you people consider us second class citizens. Of course you don't understand, you've never had to face xenophobia in your life. As someone who's travelled all over Europe, I've experienced enough to last me a lifetime.

Oh ok, I see. I'm American by the way so no, I probably don't understand.

MrSteakson
  • MrSteakson

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (EscoLehGo @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 14:13)
QUOTE (MrSteakson @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 14:07)

Oh ok, I see. I'm American by the way so no, I probably don't understand.

America's a melting pot, it's an entirely different story over there. Look at it this way: our situation in the EU is similar to the situation of the Latinos in the US. We're always the ones who steal their jobs, rape their women, murder, steal...they make fun of us because we have "olive skin", whatever that means (I'm a blue eyed blonde, but nevermind, I've been called a gypsy in Italy countless times, just because my passport said Romania)...it's not like those jokes Europeans sometimes make about you, it's way worse than that.

D4 Damager
  • D4 Damager

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

QUOTE (MrSteakson @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 15:20)
America's a melting pot, it's an entirely different story over there. Look at it this way: our situation in the EU is similar to the situation of the Latinos in the US. We're always the ones who steal their jobs, rape their women, murder, steal...they make fun of us because we have "olive skin", whatever that means (I'm a blue eyed blonde, but nevermind, I've been called a gypsy in Italy countless times, just because my passport said Romania)...it's not like those jokes Europeans sometimes make about you, it's way worse than that.

In all my years in the UK I've heard hardly any disparaging remarks directed at Romanian people. I've heard plenty about Poles and Ukrainians, but the vast majority of the racism in the UK is targeted at people from the sub-continent. And a "you people" response doesn't exactly help matters, it just makes me that that you are a twat.

MrSteakson
  • MrSteakson

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (D4 Damager @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 14:28)

In all my years in the UK I've heard hardly any disparaging remarks directed at Romanian people. I've heard plenty about Poles and Ukrainians, but the vast majority of the racism in the UK is targeted at people from the sub-continent. And a "you people" response doesn't exactly help matters, it just makes me that that you are a twat.

I said "not you Brits in particular", I was talking about the Italians and the French, really. Do you know the "Romanian salute" is a beggar asking for money? Jeez, I didn't know that, I sure am glad those kind French people sacrificed their time to teach me the history of my own nation.

LE: On top of that, what's the French salute? "I surrender, please don't kill me"?

ColePhelps27
  • ColePhelps27

Prankster

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

For the most part, yes.

There's a lot of misconceptions about it though. I don't know if that's our own doing or just how the rest of the world sees us.

D4 Damager
  • D4 Damager

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (MrSteakson @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 15:31)
QUOTE (D4 Damager @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 14:28)

I said "not you Brits in particular", I was talking about the Italians and the French, really.

In an earlier post you said

QUOTE (MrSteakson @ Saturday @ Aug 31 2013, 14:07)
allowing Pakistanis to come in huge numbers to your country, because they were once upon a time Crown subjects, and not allowing us and the Bulgarians to come to the UK, even though we're supposedly European citizens, but you people consider us second class citizens. Of course you don't understand, you've never had to face xenophobia in your life.

Generalising never solved any problems. Oh and also:

QUOTE (MrSteakson @ Saturday @ Aug 31 2013, 13:51)

Another generalisation. I can only speak for myself obviously but I don't care if you're from Pakistan, Romania or anywhere else for that matter, I just don't want you to be a bellend. You're being a bit of a bellend.

stu
  • stu

Ya filthy animal.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

Regarding the negative Romanian stereotype thing, I guess it doesn't help that when you go on google images and type in "Romanians" that the 2nd related search option it gives you is "gypsies".

user posted image

Huh David Cameron is Romanian. I did not know that.

MrSteakson
  • MrSteakson

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:05 PM Edited by MrSteakson, 31 August 2013 - 03:10 PM.

The media here likes to portray us as victims, so yeah, I do tend to generalize, mea culpa. There are some (a lot I'd say, but you'd disagree with me) neo-nazis who don't want us in the west, and you can't deny that.

LE: you're a smartass, aren't you? All I know is that those gypsies you probably see in your country aren't a real representation of us Romanians. You can say what you want, I'm not a gypsy, I don't look like one...in fact, most Romanians hate their guts for what they're doing to our country's image abroad. We're poor (upper-middle income, though, but when compared to you lucky pricks, we are), but we're not thieves.

MrSteakson
  • MrSteakson

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:19 PM

Also, sorry for the double post, but it might also give you these results:
Romania-England 2-1 (WC1998)
Romania-England 3-2 (Euro 2000)
Steaua-Chelsea 1-0
Man U-CFR Cluj 0-1

D4 Damager
  • D4 Damager

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (MrSteakson @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 16:05)
The media here likes to portray us as victims, so yeah, I do tend to generalize, mea culpa. There are some (a lot I'd say, but you'd disagree with me) neo-nazis who don't want us in the west, and you can't deny that.

We're poor (upper-middle income, though, but when compared to you lucky pricks, we are), but we're not thieves.

There are hardly any neo-nazis in the West. There certainly aren't a lot. So I do disagree.

And I've placed in bold another generalisation.

QUOTE (MrSteaksonSaturday @ Aug 31 2013, 16:19)
Steaua-Chelsea 1-0
Man U-CFR Cluj 0-1

This is completely unrelated and irrelevant and just smacks of you trying to wind people up. I'll humour you though. You had good football team at the turn of the millennium. That much can't be denied.

Oh and Chelsea beat Steaua on aggregate, and Cluj's goal was scored by a Spaniard against Man Utd'd reserve squad. Cluj didn't go through in spite of this win.

MrSteakson
  • MrSteakson

• BUSTED!

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:40 PM

QUOTE (D4 Damager @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 15:31)
QUOTE (MrSteakson @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 16:05)

We're poor (upper-middle income, though, but when compared to you lucky pricks, we are), but we're not thieves.

There are hardly any neo-nazis in the West. There certainly aren't a lot. So I do disagree.

And I've placed in bold another generalisation.

QUOTE (MrSteaksonSaturday @ Aug 31 2013, 16:19)
Steaua-Chelsea 1-0
Man U-CFR Cluj 0-1

This is completely unrelated and irrelevant and just smacks of you trying to wind people up. I'll humour you though. You had good football team at the turn of the millennium. That much can't be denied.

Oh and Chelsea beat Steaua on aggregate, and Cluj's goal was scored by a Spaniard against Man Utd'd reserve squad. Cluj didn't go through in spite of this win.

I despise Steaua and hope all its fans die a very painful death (not really biggrin.gif ), but of course Chelsea eliminated Steaua, its budget is like 20x that of Steaua. And don't even get me started on all the foreigners in the Premier League.

To stay on topic, yes, you are a bunch of lucky pricks. You were born in the West, in one of the most influential countries on the planet...it's not my fault I was born here. Being picked on for something you didn't choose feels awful, as I'm sure you understand.

Detective Phelps
  • Detective Phelps

F*ck the 4th amendment!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA V section - Reporting]

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE (TiddleyWinker @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 09:25)
QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 14:46)
My country has just comitted a false flag operation through its proxies - a chemical weapon attack that killed children - and it is using that as a precursor for missile strikes to topple the Syrian government. So no, I'm not proud.

Pretty much this. I like being English and if possible I'd like to stay British. I love our traditions, I'm a true tea drinker. I think we have a great history and I'm proud of my ancestors and how far we've come.

However, I don't like my government, I don't like how my country is turning, I don't like how it's being invaded by Muslims and I don't like how you're labeled a racist when I decide to fly a St George's Cross from my window during the world cup. I recognise my government is responsible for more bad than good, then again who's isn't?

Oh ye I also hate how at times we are either the 51st state of America or a slave to Europe. Never British. In fact we're encouraged not to be British, as that would be wrong, obviously.

EDL alert. No one's invading. The media always tries to make minorities look bad (Asians, Muslims, Sikhs, Eastern Europeans etc.)
Instead of making our country look good, the media make us look bad by sterotyping people who are not white (or born in Britain), and this gives Brits a reputation as unwelcoming, a reputation we don't need.

There's nothing wrong with flying st.George's cross. Who's encouraging you to be European or American? Who? We're British, and no one can say otherwise, we have a right to hold our flags.

As for the "51st state", we haven't followed the USA's orders to fight in Syria, have we?

SilverDragon619
  • SilverDragon619

Player Hater

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 August 2013 - 05:00 PM

I am not proud of my country. I don't like the politics, I don't agree with the laws, I dislike the people, finding a job is a pain, I'm moving out of here as soon as I can. I am unable to be greatful or show respect for this land.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

I'm proud of India's heritage, history, achievements and culture. But I am not proud of our government, because like you said, we have a corrupt government.

Captain VXR
  • Captain VXR

Now Captain Lion.

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (MrSteakson @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 15:05)

LE: you're a smartass, aren't you? All I know is that those gypsies you probably see in your country aren't a real representation of us Romanians. You can say what you want, I'm not a gypsy, I don't look like one...in fact, most Romanians hate their guts for what they're doing to our country's image abroad. We're poor (upper-middle income, though, but when compared to you lucky pricks, we are), but we're not thieves.

So all Romanian Gypsies are scum and no white Romanians are? WASTEMAN.

MrSteakson
  • MrSteakson

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (Captain VXR @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 12:25)

Never said that. It's just that "white" Romanians (we don't really consider gypsies to be Romanians over here though) tend to be more civilized. There are a lot of people here who want those gypsies who go abroad and steal sh*t to be stripped of their citizenship...I still don't see why the Romanian government has to pay for all the damage done by these...people. Call me a racist, I'm just patriotic. And you're ignorant, we're just as "white" as any other European nation. The gypsies are a minority.

Captain VXR
  • Captain VXR

Now Captain Lion.

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (MrSteakson @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 12:45)

Never said that. It's just that "white" Romanians (we don't really consider gypsies to be Romanians over here though) tend to be more civilized. There are a lot of people here who want those gypsies who go abroad and steal sh*t to be stripped of their citizenship...I still don't see why the Romanian government has to pay for all the damage done by these...people. Call me a racist, I'm just patriotic. And you're ignorant, we're just as "white" as any other European nation. The gypsies are a minority.

Since when did I say that Romania is a gypsy majority country? And why aren't people born in Romania considered to be Romanians? Only thing I can think of is racism. Perhaps your citizenship should be stripped for giving the impression that Romania is a heavily racist country?

MrSteakson
  • MrSteakson

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (Captain VXR @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 12:50)

Since when did I say that Romania is a gypsy majority country? And why aren't people born in Romania considered to be Romanians? Only thing I can think of is racism. Perhaps your citizenship should be stripped for giving the impression that Romania is a heavily racist country?

No, dude, that's just my opinion. Our prime minister is a Socialist currently and he'd never agree with me. But the fact that those gypsies are able to go abroad whenever they want, and they start stealing, raping, killing kinda makes us hate them...it's understandable, don't you think? And it's gotten worse since we've entered the EU. They used to steal sh*t from us Romanians, and now they're stealing your sh*t, and we can't do anything to stop them. I'm not a racist in the slightest, I'm just worried about my country's (already ruined) reputation.

Captain VXR
  • Captain VXR

Now Captain Lion.

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (MrSteakson @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 12:57)

No, dude, that's just my opinion. Our prime minister is a Socialist currently and he'd never agree with me. But the fact that those gypsies are able to go abroad whenever they want, and they start stealing, raping, killing kinda makes us hate them...it's understandable, don't you think? And it's gotten worse since we've entered the EU. They used to steal sh*t from us Romanians, and now they're stealing your sh*t, and we can't do anything to stop them. I'm not a racist in the slightest, I'm just worried about my country's (already ruined) reputation.

Well if you're judging all gypsies, you are a racist. I've never had a gypsy steal anything from me.

BrownBear
  • BrownBear

Dr. Green Thumb.

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE (MrSteakson @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 12:57)

Get over yourself, you pr*ck. You can't play the victim card then start spewing racism yourself. You say it's terrible that you receive racism because you're Romanian, then start calling Gypsies uncivilized thieves.
Maybe it's the fact that you're country doesn't consider it's own citizens welcome there that they tend to live in poverty (or uncivilized, as you'd put it) which leads to crime etc. And what about ethnic Romanians who go stealing and killing abroad, are they just the victims of European racism?

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

I'm not "proud" of the US but not because I hate it or something; I enjoy my country (most of the time).
but being proud of your home country is just dumb.

why?
because you didn't choose it. the place you were born or raised is just happenstance. it's where your parents lived when your dad pumped your mom full of his seed. it's not a decision you made by carefully weighing the options and picking the place you liked the most. it's just the way things turned out.

why would you have pride in that?
you should save pride for the things that YOU accomplish on your own accord, not the thing that just happened to you by accident.

Danz.
  • Danz.

• Members
  • NATO

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (ZeeKid2k10 @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 00:21)
Brazil do got some sexy woman smile.gif

It's not that our women are sexy, it's women in other countries that are usually too common/ugly. I'm used to have beauties as classmates.

As for the rest, Brazil is pretty sh*tty. I wholeheartedly agree with this guy:

QUOTE (Edward-Is-A-Flunky45)
No. Brazil is the type of country that everyone does a protest but at the same time they should be changing themselves first. We've a society that forgets the past and believes in things so fast instead of researching it . We are like dogs... People only gives us bones instead of a beef.

TheCacti
  • TheCacti

l'administration vous emmerde

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Macau

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 17:19)
I'm not "proud" of the US but not because I hate it or something; I enjoy my country (most of the time).
but being proud of your home country is just dumb.

why?
because you didn't choose it. the place you were born or raised is just happenstance. it's where your parents lived when your dad pumped your mom full of his seed. it's not a decision you made by carefully weighing the options and picking the place you liked the most. it's just the way things turned out.

why would you have pride in that?
you should save pride for the things that YOU accomplish on your own accord, not the thing that just happened to you by accident.

And George Carlin agrees with you: “Pride should be reserved for something you achieve or obtain on your own, not something that happens by accident of birth. Being Irish isn't a skill... it's a f*cking genetic accident. You wouldn't say I'm proud to be 5'11"; I'm proud to have a pre-disposition for colon cancer.”

I'm neither proud nor ashamed to be America, it's just what I am. It'd be like being proud of my date of birth..speaking of which, the way we celebrate birthdays is weird. It like we're lauding praise and attention on somebody for something which they had absolutely no say in. If anything, the all the mothers should receive the gifts and goodies to thank them for that hard work and dedication they put into bearing children.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users