Are you proud of your country?

201 replies to this topic
Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:19 PM

Be it on the internet, or in real life, people love their respective countries and sometimes even get enraged when something speaks something not necessarily right about their country. This gets me wondering; why should a person be proud of their country? What have they done to their country to be proud of, or what has their country done to them personally?

Is it because of their country being their birthplace? If so, shouldn't we all be proud as hell of the hospitals we were born in? Is it because of it giving them the education and life they lead[I hear this a lot]? If so, why shouldn't they be proud of some other country which can do pretty much the same?

My personal opinion on the pride I take on my country: I'm not proud, honestly. What reason does India give to me to be "proud" of it? I'm sure that a lot of people that say they're proud of India never really are proud. They are a bunch of sheep who are taught to take pride in India by their elders and their schools. I see no reason why I should find what a group of freedom fighters did to a country several decades back.

For me, a country formation is a systematic formation that makes it easier for us to lead our lives. It is nothing more. Since that is what I find my opinion to be, finding India to be great is harder, for the government or the governments past have done nothing but implant heavy amount of corruption to make India a corrupt, rotten hell.

So, are you proud of your country? If so, why?

Eutyphro
  • Eutyphro

poetic justice

• Members
  • Democratic-Republic-of-the-Congo

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

I identify with the culture of my country and the language, but I find pride more fitting for things that I've chosen to do myself, and since I don't choose what country I'm born in and what languge I learn, I'm not proud of it. And I think nationalism is not a useful sentiment and the cause of a lot of bad things.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:28 PM Edited by Ferocious Banger, 28 August 2013 - 02:31 PM.

QUOTE (gtaxpert @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 19:54)
I identify with the culture of my country and the language, but I find pride more fitting for things that I've chosen to do myself, and since I don't choose what country I'm born in and what languge I learn, I'm not proud of it. And I think nationalism is not a useful sentiment and the cause of a lot of bad things.

I identify with the culture of my country and the language

So do I. There is an attachment with my country due to the culture and a few of it's languages being easily relatable for me. However, that doesn't warrant a sense of pride, just like you said.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:29 PM Edited by RoadRunner71, 28 August 2013 - 02:47 PM.

No. I hate it. And nationalisms aren't cool, they just cause problems.

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

Definitely, I don't have any reason not to, we're like the US, but minus the bullsh*t.
wink.gif

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

Nope. It's full of immigrants.

TECHN9CiAN
  • TECHN9CiAN

American MuSScle Fan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:36 PM

Taking pride in one's country is foolish. What do you have to be proud of? Unless you have had a direct effect or have accomplished something meaningful for your country, why take pride on the land you had no choice but to be born in, for whom's achievements you have had no part in?

I dont have pride in USA, Mexico, or Italy, which are the countries my family originates from. I havent done anything for their betterment. But i appreciate the country i live in.

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:39 PM

Britain is a mess and it should be and could be a much better place than it is. I suppose I am a proud Scot, a proud Brit even. We're not going to win any best country in the world awards any time soon though. It's a pity because Britain could be a brilliant place.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (the7ftmidget @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 15:36)
Taking pride in one's country is foolish. What do you have to be proud of? Unless you have had a direct effect or have accomplished something meaningful for your country, why take pride on the land you had no choice but to be born in, for whom's achievements you have had no part in?

I dont have pride in USA, Mexico, or Italy, which are the countries my family originates from. I havent done anything for their betterment. But i appreciate the country i live in.

With that attitude...it wouldn't surprise me if you actually reside in Somalia.

.2D
  • .2D

Does Anybody Remember Laughter?

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Commonwealth

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

I do like the country itself, and especially the history. Shame about the people and the government.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:46 PM

My country has just comitted a false flag operation through its proxies - a chemical weapon attack that killed children - and it is using that as a precursor for missile strikes to topple the Syrian government. So no, I'm not proud.

kk.
  • kk.

So long, and thanks for all the fish

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

I hate it.

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

proud "conspiracy theorist"

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:47 PM

I am pretty proud of my country because the last world war we started was already 74 years ago, that's world record. smile.gif

Only thing I am not proud of is, that the last time we were football world champion was already 23 years ago. confused.gif

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

QUOTE (Stephan123 @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 15:47)
I am pretty proud of my country because the last world war we started was already 74 years ago, that's world record. smile.gif

Only thing I am not proud of is, that the last time we were football world champion was already 23 years ago. confused.gif

You people drink lots of beer and eat lots of sausages...that's a dam fine thing to be proud of in my book. icon14.gif

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Gangsta

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 14:46)
My country has just comitted a false flag operation through its proxies - a chemical weapon attack that killed children - and it is using that as a precursor for missile strikes to topple the Syrian government. So no, I'm not proud.

So you're saying that it's more believable to you that our government committed the chemical attacks in Syria rather than the Syrian government? whatsthat.gif

Kevin3014
  • Kevin3014

its moi

• Daily Globe
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award GTA IV

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

Am I proud of my country?
No.

Why?
  • India is having one of the sh*ttiest and corrupt Government in the whole world.
  • All the politicians here throw Shoes at each other, now that's awkward.
  • Yes, our country is poor but we can fix it..if the government is good and if they stop taking taking half of the tax money and eat sh*t.
  • People living here can't even take care of their own women.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (kev210 @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 16:02)
All the politicians here throw Shoes at each other, now that's awkward.

Wat.

That would be fricken' hilarious.

"Bad characteristics covered in Christs blood"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

No, I can't honestly say that I am. America has actually proved to be disappointing to me really. confused.gif

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

QUOTE (niko bellic half brother @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 16:07)

Wat.

Well, that's a big issue and not just in India.

http://en.wikipedia....owing_incidents

WildBrick142
  • WildBrick142

*blows up cars with RPG*

• GTA Series Staff
  • Unknown
  • Draw Contest Winner 2016
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE (.2D @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 15:46)
I do like the country itself, and especially the history. Shame about the people and the government.

Same here. That's why I moved to a different country.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (John The Grudge @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 14:55)
QUOTE (JOSEPH X @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 14:46)

So you're saying that it's more believable to you that our government committed the chemical attacks in Syria rather than the Syrian government? whatsthat.gif

Yes.

Phil We’ve got a new offer. It’s about Syria again. Qataris propose an attractive deal and swear that the idea is approved by Washington. We’ll have to deliver a CW [chemical weapon] to Homs, a Soviet origin g-shell from Libya similar to those that Assad should have. They want us to deploy our Ukrainian personnel that should speak Russian and make a video record. Frankly, I don’t think it’s a good idea but the sums proposed are enormous. Your opinion?

A hacked e-mail from Britam Defence's servers. Found here Britam Defence Hack reveals Halliburton wanted the “red-line” crossed

It was reported in the Daily Mail of all places, but they've since taken the article down. Not before it could be archived though

user posted image

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (Stephan123 @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 16:11)

Wat.

Yeah I remember the Bush incident well.

I'm sorry, but I find that sh*t hilarious! I'm currently picturing all of our politicians throwing shoes at each other in Westminster lol.gif

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (niko bellic half brother @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 16:23)

Wat.

I'm sorry, but I find that sh*t hilarious! I'm currently picturing all of our politicians throwing shoes at each other in Westminster lol.gif

Yes, the longer you think about it, the funnier it becomes. Imagine those politicians hiding behind desks, waiting to throw their stinking shoes at their political enemies.

PriestGoneWild
  • PriestGoneWild

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:28 PM

Great culture and people..........

Ascer
  • Ascer

Rat

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

our politicians are probabbly the worst in europe, the country is sinking and they do nothing. luckly there's always a way to circumvent/elude laws, or life would be hell.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE (Stephan123 @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 16:26)
QUOTE (niko bellic half brother @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 16:23)

Wat.

Yes, the longer you think about it, the funnier it becomes. Imagine those politicians hiding behind desks, waiting to throw their stinking shoes at their political enemies.

The way our politicians act, with their shouting matches 'n all, they'd be as well throwing pieces of clothing at each other. Might make PMQ's actually interesting.

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Left to rust

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (Ascer @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 15:34)
our politicians are probabbly the worst in europe, the country is sinking and they do nothing. luckly there's always a way to circumvent/elude laws, or life would be hell.

I could believe that, followed very closely by Spanish politicians, what a bunch of shameless assholes. It would be fun a fight between them, like in Korea, or throwing shoes.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:51 PM

England has too many old people and hates youth, modernity and tolerance of any kind. This country is a festering, rotting sinkhole designed purely to comfort an aging population to the detriment of a young, more progressive generation. The people here are apolitical and ignorant of anything save for football, the English people are overly cynical and morose and seem to take no joy in life whatsoever, our weather is regularly depressing and we lack ANY architectural ambition whatsoever - almost every building is low, beige and simplistic. Whilst the good people of America built skyscrapers and reached for the Heavens, England kept her snout in the gutters.

We drink too much, we shout too much in the early hours of the morning and are obscenely fond of African American music whilst spouting off the kind of casual racist bile against 'immigrants' that would make Oswald Mosley blush. We have ZERO concept of tolerance, most working class people here honestly believe that people can be 'turned gay' and see homosexuality as unnatural and wrong. The men don't respect women and will happily regale each other with grim descriptions of what sexual acts they'd perform on the nearest female - their slobbering tongues escaping from mouths caked in dry eggs and bacon grease.

People in England, despite having a lineage of amazing writers to be proud of, cannot speak their own damn language and insist on peppering every sentence with 'like' or 'yeah'. The lower classes use the word 'f*ck' at least a dozen times every time they need to say something, and don't seem to have a single ounce of shame for their crass butchery of their own language.

Our media is tacky, we are a tacky nation and have tacky shows to cater to tacky little people. On the one hand, we'll trot out the mentally ill to be sneered at on The X Factor but will shamefully engage in almost voyeuristic displays of pity when some sob story is told on that very same show. Every TV show is filled with the same old, wrinkled faces, bitching and crying about those awful young people and about how much better life was when THEY were children.

All in all, England is a terrible and depressing country to live in. We have great scientific minds but NO imagination. Great artists but NO love for creativity. A martial history but NO backbone as a people.
This is an awful, disgusting place to live and the sooner we start euthanising people at 60, the better off we'll all be.

John Smith
  • John Smith

Cynical Prick

• BUSTED!
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

You're from Newcastle then?

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

After reading this, England seems to have at least good philosophers and lyricists. icon14.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users