Photo

What's your story?

9 replies to this topic
S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT
  • S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:19 AM

There are many GTA enthusiasts on these forums that love to create artwork, whether it's with Photoshop, GIMP, Illustrator, Fireworks, Blender, Maya, etc. Some make artwork for fun; others actually make artwork for a living (graphic design). We all come from different backgrounds and history, and I wanted to know why you create digital art. Is it simply a hobby? Do you work as a graphic designer? Are you a web designer? What's your story?

My apologies if this subject has already been created. I did not find anything similar when searching for a similar thread.

Antagonista
  • Antagonista

Back In Business™

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 28 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

Well I had several accounts on GTAForums (i requested bans) and I had a friend who helped me out a lot. I joined his gang and stayed up until he ended it I believe. He helped me with so many things, I was a noob in Photoshop... I can show before and after pictures if you want. That person was GunWrath (he's a forum leader now biggrin.gif) and I just want to say thank you to him. If it wasn't for him, I would of never stayed on the forums tbh. Very helpful guy, he can teach you a lot icon14.gif

So that's my story basically.

XTREME0235
  • XTREME0235

Aviation Enthusiast

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:06 PM

Well it was back in early 2010 when I first started using it due to seeing a classmate of mine using it (seemingly well at the time) in our computer class and I thought it looked so cool and fun.
I got the very bare basics down pat like gradients, shapes, text and brushes.

My very first work. (We all start from somewhere).
user posted image

Fast forward 3 and a bit years and I had learned SO much more since that time.

My work now.

user posted image

I'm glad that I got into the world of Photoshop because it's something I enjoy thoroughly and dedicate a lot of my spare time to it. I'm taking up a graphic design course next year after Year 12 finishes, so that's something to look forward too. smile.gif

Antagonista
  • Antagonista

Back In Business™

• Members
  • Italy

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

First thing done in Photoshop

user posted image

Latest project

user posted image

Major improvement, huh? lol smile.gif

Limitless
  • Limitless

Bad, for a greater good.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:57 PM Edited by Limitless, 29 August 2013 - 01:52 AM.

Oh God, this is bringing back some memories. Well I created my first actual graphic on August 28, 2010 (Yes, I know that's today's date, I just noticed myself). It all started from playing a real crappy PC game that was infected by hackers and glitchers. Later on down the road I found out a website that was affiliated with the actual makers of the game, who took in reports of these hackers and sent them off to the makers of the game to get processed and banned. This was my first real forums experience. I ended up making a real crappy logo for a clan I was in, and posted it on the forums. Out of the blue, I started getting PM’s for signature requests and this is how I started getting into graphic design! For a few years I've made some of the crappiest stuff but I still really enjoy the satisfaction of providing a service to other members, seeing that they actually enjoyed it and was thankful.

Later on after getting a little better I was introduced to the staff and worked with them for a bit. Long story short, I become inactive and haven’t been around there since. But one day I found these forums and after seeing the amazing work done by artists like Narcis, XTREME and CCPD I decided to pick up the paint brush again.

Recently I have grown a certain love towards graphics. It all started as a hobby and now it’s slowly turning into something more. I’m actually doing stuff for local small business and thinking of maybe taking up a college course soon. I don’t know if I’ll pursue it as a career, but it will defiantly be a hobby for the rest of my life.

Here is the very first graphic I ever made...

user posted image

And here my work now..

user posted image

ElPaisa
  • ElPaisa

GFX Artist

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:53 PM Edited by ElMafias, 28 August 2013 - 08:11 PM.

I started 3 years ago!!! I initially joined due too the IV:SA mod and the V announcement! icon14.gif but then i got my way into the GFX
and went from there!! This is the last thing i did in Photoshop yesterday!!!

user posted image

FIRST EVER "EDIT" HERE ----- LINK

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Play Toy

• The Connection
  • Finland

Posted 28 August 2013 - 09:01 PM

Outside RL work, first gfx app that I used to create own art was Koala Painter on Commodore 64.
Now that one took some nerve to use I can tell You. It was basically pixel by pixel clicking with joystick, and You moved the arrow with a joystick. Few basic shapes like lines, rounds and rectangles were available.
I still remember making a fake nude image of some hot chick from same class tounge2.gif It took days, from grid paper sketch to clicking hours & hours.

Then I used little DeluxePaint on Amiga, but was more interested in other things. 1991-1995 were dark ages. Nothing valuable to remember, if can remember anything.

First own work with Photoshop is from 1996. Itīs on a 4GB OS7.x HD, done with Photoshop v3 if Iīm correct, unfortunately I canīt open it because I donīt have OS for it.
I used Freehand v7, v8 and Photoshop 3 and 4 in mid-late 90s at work.
My work has always been and still is mainly editing vectors, and I donīt need much creativity. They are usually ready designs from design houses etc. in vector format, my job is to make an end product of it.
Sometimes a customer might have an idea or gives free hands to create something. One thing I have done much over the years is raster image vectorization, aka tracing.

So I got interested in PS again only couple years ago and here we are.
And Gimp of course, even some features still piss You off.

From vector apps Freehand (runs but better rest in peace), CorelDraw and Inkscape are familiar.

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:55 AM

Started filling requests in the GFX section, slowly learned and over time managed to handle Photoshop as I can handle it today.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Forum Drunk

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:09 AM

Like some, I didn't really start any full-on gfx stuff until I visited GTAF Gfx section and started doing requests and learning as I went. I watched acouple tutorials on youtube but didn't enjoy the way some of them were so I went on to tackle Photoshop on my own and learned some techniques. I started out with GIMP but never got into graphics or design much because I never had a need for it.

I opened my own business acouple years back and once I got enough business, I decided to come up with a logo for the shop and picked up Photoshop and started to design a logo and that's around when I came onto GTAF and spread out to deviantart and other design communities. It's more of a hobby than anything else now.. and it usually feels good to help those who really need help and to see just how creative I can be. There's still much to learn and I'm sure I'll get there some day.. just have to stick with it.

Here's acouple of my first works with Photoshop (excuse the excessive Bevel rolleyes.gif ):

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Anyways, you get the idea.. haha.. but with time and some creativity, you can learn so much more.

S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT
  • S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:01 AM

I guess I'll tell mine now.

The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.

Really, though, I started using Photoshop in late 2008. I didn't use it a lot, but that's when I first started. Over the years, I have learned new features, and it was very hard learning Photoshop on my own, but I did it smile.gif I have made a few advertisements for my place of work to help sell product, which has been awesome to see my art come to life and be used for something outside of a computer. For most of time with Photoshop, it has been just for a hobby, but now it has turned into a career. Last year, I decided to go to school to be a web designer. I bought the Adobe Web Design Suite and now have Illustrator, Fireworks, Flash, etc.

I'm always wanting to get better at digital art, and I hope to become a great web designer in the future.

One of my first Photoshop images I made:

user posted image

Recent works:

user posted image

user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users