Photo

Single Image Replies

35 replies to this topic
Stewlil
  • Stewlil

Better when high

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:19 PM

So after a lot of expression in that monstrosity of a thread just now, I've realised I'm not the only one who feels the way I do about the prohibition of single image replies.

Can't you just make exceptions for related images? There's a fine line between spam and posting a relevant image to speak your words for you.

No one but you mods is going to scroll down to this section to read, so please don't gang up on me! I've still not had a good reason why we need to carry on this rule.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:31 PM

This is a discussion board. Each member is encouraged to participate within topics located around the forums rather than posting single images or memes. Most of these images add nothing to the topic anyway so I wouldn't see a need for the rule to be lightened up on.

Stewlil
  • Stewlil

Better when high

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:53 AM

Well I said before that a picture speaks a thousand words. I'm not really talking about memes, I mean they are still relevant on some lines. Summing up your opinion via an image is pretty much the same as just summing it up via a short sentence, the image being the more humorous choice. This forum isn't really taken that seriously anyway by a majority of the users, and I really don't think it prevents discussion.

A J
  • A J

Aggressively Honest

• BUSTED!
  • Wales
  • Best Event 2012 [Gang Wars]

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:25 AM

The context is important here, occasionally someone posts an image which really adds nothing or expresses nothing related to the topic. I think the issue is, when the mods decide to 'over-control' the place, by removing the pics that do add something to a post, that's surely annoying and needn't be done. It's probably just that prat nobody likes, called Ryan doing it, but let's not hold too much against him, if he is ginger then it's kind of understandable why he is the way he is.

Stewlil
  • Stewlil

Better when high

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE (ajbns87 @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 07:25)
The context is important here.

This. This. This.

Stewlil
  • Stewlil

Better when high

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:06 AM

...So is this being ignored or considered or what?

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:08 AM

The unfair thing is that moderators can freely post single image replies while normal members can't. Like Ryan did here and that is totally unfair. Yes they are moderators but they too have too follow the rules, and them posting a single image reply and getting away with it because of a pip under their name is very unfair.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 01 September 2013 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (AceKingston @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 10:08)
The unfair thing is that moderators can freely post single image replies while normal members can't. Like Ryan did here and that is totally unfair. Yes they are moderators but they too have too follow the rules, and them posting a single image reply and getting away with it because of a pip under their name is very unfair.

I do have to agree with this, new members may think that posting a single image reply is alright because they seen a moderator like Ryan do it, this is very unfair if the new member receives some sort of warning or reminder for it as well. Moderators should follow the same rules as ordinary members.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

The way I see it, first of all, is that this is a discussion forum where we try and discourage spamming. It's very hard in a place like the V section as you can imagine.

Everyone moderates differently to the same rules, but the way I do it is that I would remind/warn people using single image replies such as 'inb4lock' or 'didn't read' ones - these are completely pointless, encourage even more spamming, offtopicness and general negativity/flaming. Posting just a single emoticon is in this category.

As for as 'related' images are concerned, it's a very grey area of what exactly can be related, therefore I tend to only remind people to add more content to their posts if they are going to post them. There's nothing wrong with posting one, in my opinion, if you are actually going to contribute to the topic with WORDS as well.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:21 AM Edited by AceKingston, 02 September 2013 - 10:44 AM.

QUOTE (Kirsty @ Sunday, Sep 1 2013, 19:23)
The way I see it, first of all, is that this is a discussion forum where we try and discourage spamming. It's very hard in a place like the V section as you can imagine.

Everyone moderates differently to the same rules, but the way I do it is that I would remind/warn people using single image replies such as 'inb4lock' or 'didn't read' ones - these are completely pointless, encourage even more spamming, offtopicness and general negativity/flaming. Posting just a single emoticon is in this category.

As for as 'related' images are concerned, it's a very grey area of what exactly can be related, therefore I tend to only remind people to add more content to their posts if they are going to post them. There's nothing wrong with posting one, in my opinion, if you are actually going to contribute to the topic with WORDS as well.

But that doesn't explain my Ryan posted it. He didn't use words, and that added pretty much nothing to the discussion. Plus it'd encourage new members to post single image replies and get warned for it. I would really like to know why Ryan can get away with posting a single image reply. Yes he is a moderator but not warning him for having a pip under his name is very unfair.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (AceKingston @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 15:51)
I would really like to know why Ryan can get away with posting a single image reply.

he is a moderator

There's your answer.

Also, members are not reminded/warned for first time offenses. Only when we're sure that the member in question has a habit of replying with one word or smiley do we remind him for it. More often than not, we let it slide.

RonDutch
  • RonDutch

Anarchy 99 Holland @SocialClub

• Members

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (Girish @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 10:57)
I would really like to know why Ryan can get away with posting a single image reply.

he is a moderator

There's your answer.

Also, members are not reminded/warned for first time offenses. Only when we're sure that the member in question has a habit of replying with one word or smiley do we remind him for it. More often than not, we let it slide.

Abuse Of Power: "The act of using one’s position of power in an abusive way. This can take many forms, such as taking advantage of someone, gaining access to information that shouldn’t be accessible to the public, or just manipulating someone with the ability to punish them if they don’t comply."

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:03 AM Edited by GTAKid667, 02 September 2013 - 11:08 AM.

QUOTE (RonDutch)
QUOTE (Girish @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 11:57)

he is a moderator

There's your answer.

Abuse Of Power: "The act of using one’s position of power in an abusive way. This can take many forms, such as taking advantage of someone, gaining access to information that shouldn’t be accessible to the public, or just manipulating someone with the ability to punish them if they don’t comply."

I don't think Ryan or any moderator abuses their powers as such. It's just the one word/image/smiley posts that doesn't seem fair to me.

@Girish - But don't you think that can be unfair? I mean the moderators may be doing a good job around the place but they shouldn't be allowed to break the rules all members have to follow, should they? It just seems unfair to me... plus new members may feel its alright by looking at his posts.

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Most Helpful [Expression] 2013

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

You're members of a free service, they're moderators of that service. Ryan is a Moderator and a good one at that who's also contributed quite a bit.. he basically can do what he wants and it's not like he roams around going one image posts.

Like Girish said, most of the time they let it slide but if someone is doing nothing but one-worded posts or smilies, then action is taken and majority of the time it's probably just a simple reminder. There's no point in making such a big fuss about it.

Also

QUOTE (Kirsty)
There's nothing wrong with posting one, in my opinion, if you are actually going to contribute to the topic with WORDS as well.

Just contribute more to a topic than one image and things will be fine.. or don't make a habit of doing one image posts. icon14.gif

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

Fair enough GW, I wasn't saying you guys do a bad job, I just wanted to know how come Ryan did not get a reminder for it.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

I understand completely that I am a member of a free service. In fact, I take that into consideration when posting down this end of the forum. Ryan didn't get the job out of nowhere, he had to prove he is capable, prove he was a good member and had to follow the rules that we are given on the forums,not to post single image replies. Don't get me wrong, Ryan is a good moderator but I feel that in a way staff should set the example, people look up to them, new members are going to think that the way they are posting is the way it should be, then they go and post single image replies and get reminded/warned for it.

I'm just saying, I feel that all staff should stick to the rules just like they did before given the privileges of moderation. No need to elaborate further, mods can lock the topic if they please icon14.gif

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

@AK, I know you didn't think that. icon14.gif

@gta, There are rules in place for 'new' members to read and follow.. it's their responsibility to review and follow them. Moderators make sure that they do and at times just like us members, moderators like to have a little fun.

He doesn't deserve a reminder for it, he's a moderator. You have to take into consideration the amount of trolls, spam and PBM's that the mods have to deal with on a daily basis, this is a large community. Sometimes when someone makes another inappropriate post or topic, a moderator doesn't feel the need to right an essay of a reply, instead they rather just post a thumbs up, thumbs down or an image and move on.

There's more behind the scenes than what you guys think. Just have patience, and carry on with the reports and making sure the new members follow the rules and know the rules, if they break the rules, report.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:48 AM

QUOTE (GunWrath @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 12:43)
@AK, I know you didn't think that. icon14.gif

@gta, There are rules in place for 'new' members to read and follow.. it's their responsibility to review and follow them. Moderators make sure that they do and at times just like us members, moderators like to have a little fun.

He doesn't deserve a reminder for it, he's a moderator. You have to take into consideration the amount of trolls, spam and PBM's that the mods have to deal with on a daily basis, this is a large community. Sometimes when someone makes another inappropriate post or topic, a moderator doesn't feel the need to right an essay of a reply, instead they rather just post a thumbs up, thumbs down or an image and move on.

There's more behind the scenes than what you guys think. Just have patience, and carry on with the reports and making sure the new members follow the rules and know the rules, if they break the rules, report.

Point taken, I didn't mean he should get reminded for it though, I just don't see how he should be allowed to do it. Anyway, I guess your right GunWrath icon14.gif

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

QUOTE (GTAKid667 @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 16:33)
@Girish - But don't you think that can be unfair? I mean the moderators may be doing a good job around the place but they shouldn't be allowed to break the rules all members have to follow, should they? It just seems unfair to me... plus new members may feel its alright by looking at his posts.

Like I said, we let the occasional one word/smiley post slide. We don't encourage members to do it repeatedly, hence, the reminders. And I'm more than sure no moderator is in the habit of posting only single words or smileys. We might do it while locking topics because sometimes we might not have anything to say but as the moderator taking action, we need to ensure that the OP knows who locked the topic in case he/she wishes to get in touch with the staff who handled his/her topic. This is not equivalent to posting smileys as a response to a legitimate topic.

King Andreas
  • King Andreas

(_)

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE (jallar @ Dec 28 2007, 23:31)
Reminder
Please try to post something more substantial than a row of smileys.

As it turns out, Ryan has already been reprimanded for it.

Source: http://www.gtaforums...st&p=1057364462

Imagine this: A person is pulled over for speeding; this person is let go with a warning, and they later become a police officer. Because of that, they now can speed with impunity. Why does no one complain about that?

Stewlil
  • Stewlil

Better when high

• Members

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (Girish @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 10:57)

he is a moderator

There's your answer.

Oh, come on dude really?

Also, members are not reminded/warned for first time offenses.

Pretty sure I was.

If I was a mod I wouldn't act like this, I wouldn't break the forums rules either. It discourages regular users from coming here if there are certain people with extra rights (using them to insult someone in Ryan's case) just because they have a title of moderator (I thought this meant their only extended right was the ability to moderate the boards). This thread isn't about one word posts or smileys before it gets off topic either. Like I have said, Images speak words! Come on dudes be reasonable!

But seeing as you guys are saying you let them slide, does this mean I can post images/gifs as a reply by themselves? When they are related of course. As they all have been.

Andreas
  • Andreas

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:38 PM Edited by Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian, 02 September 2013 - 08:40 PM.

QUOTE (King Andreas @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 21:04)
Reminder

Imagine this: A person is pulled over for speeding; this person is let go with a warning, and they later become a police officer. Because of that, they now can speed with impunity. Why does no one complain about that?

The reason for it could be that he did it more than once, although I am not sure. There is a difference between making a one-word or smiley-only post once, or doing it consistently. If the latter one is the case and the staff notices is, then chances are that you will get a reminder, or perhaps even a warning if you have been reminded before. There is nothing wrong with doing it once, but since it's basically spam, the staff will take action if it happens a few times within a short timeframe.

Global mods and forum leaders are part of the staff, they take care of the forum and they are a group of established members who worked their way up. I don't see why anyone should complain if they make a post that doesn't contribute to the topic for once.

Ryan
  • Ryan

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (King Andreas @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 16:04)
Reminder

That was 6 years ago... sarcasm.gif

There is a difference between spamming a valid discussion topic with image only posts and making an occasional image only post in a spam topic made by someone whining about staff doing their job. I really don't see what all the fuss is about here. People should be able to tell the difference.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

The Bad Fella™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 21:38)
Global mods and forum leaders are part of the staff, they take care of the forum and they are a group of established members who worked their way up. I don't see why anyone should complain if they make a post that doesn't contribute to the topic for once.

If this was directed towards my posts (intentionally or not) then I apologize, especially to Ryan for using an example of him doing it. I didn't mean for it to sound like a complaint, I was just wondering why. And thanks Girish for clearing up a few things wink.gif

GunWrath
  • GunWrath

Alcoholic Blues

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:59 PM

user posted image

ph34r.gif

User temp banned for this post

King Andreas
  • King Andreas

(_)

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:30 AM Edited by King Andreas, 03 September 2013 - 05:37 AM.

I just realized Ryan's gold medal has turned into a bronze medal. notify.gif
Anyway, I'm not sure whether I should continue my spree of reporting single image posts or not. I'm unsure whether it's appreciated or not, considering I do have a history of misusing the report system.

QUOTE (Mainland Marauder @ Friday, Jun 14 2013, 01:18)
Verbal Warning
You sent a report for each of 21 topics just because you want them closed? We don't have time for this.

QUOTE (Ryan @ Monday, Jun 24 2013, 21:39)
Report Abuse
Please stop abusing the reporting system by reporting every topic you see as a duplicate. Of course the majority of topics out there are going to be discussed before. We're not going to lock a topic just because it was discussed six months or a year ago. Have some common sense please.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE (King Andreas @ Tuesday, Sep 3 2013, 00:34)

Comparing real life authority with internet authority... brilliant. How long is it going to take for you to realize this is not a democracy?

Not to mention, the only post of Ryan that you linked to was in a topic where the OP was complaining about the staff... something that didn't deserve a topic in the first place. His response wasn't inappropriate given the situation. Come back when you have proof of staff spamming legitimate topics and then we'll talk.

King Andreas
  • King Andreas

(_)

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:59 AM Edited by King Andreas, 03 September 2013 - 06:01 AM.

I was only trying to illustrate that what's being discussed in this topic is trivial, insignificant ramble. In other words, internet issues are insignificant compared to real life issues. Seeing as I wasn't complaining about the rules (or the staff), it's unclear to me where the "democracy" response spurred from.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:11 AM

You're just contradicting yourself now. If it's so trivial and insignificant, why are you even pressing it further?

And the democracy response spurred from your RL police officer example. Moderators on an internet forum are not paid public servants and there's a good reason why our rules clearly state that members have no rights here and can make no demands.

King Andreas
  • King Andreas

(_)

• Members
  • None

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:20 AM Edited by King Andreas, 03 September 2013 - 08:49 AM.

I only posted my metaphor once; that's hardly trying to "press it further". The rest was just me defending myself from a misunderstanding, plus I wasn't disputing anything. Nonetheless, I think I should stop posting here. So never mind, and I'm sincerely sorry for being in anyway a disturbance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users