Saddest Game you ever played?

70 replies to this topic
Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( -`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 22:56)
And Big Boss? Well, Big Boss wanted to plunge the world into perpetual warfare because his girlfriend died. He was a crybaby and all his plans eventually boiled down to a giant revenge scheme because a single woman died. For her sake, he would happily ruin the lives of millions of people and murdered countless children out of pure vindictiveness.

Girlfriend? I can't take you seriously when you use these reductionist terms. If this is the case, then why was Zero inspired by The Boss' death? There was no emotional relationship between them, and yet he recognized the heroism she displayed. I view Big Boss and Zero's goals have been motivated out of deep respect for The Boss rather than as a revenge plot.

Who would they take revenge against? The United States for setting The Boss up to die? If they were so petty, America would no longer exist. The Boss herself said that the true enemy is the times, that there is no single timeless enemy, so why would they, and how would they take revenge on the times? Big Boss tried to oppose the times by creating a neutral mercenary army. Zero tried to control the times as founder of the Patriots. They sought change, not revenge.

Big Boss was the most deeply affected due to his emotional attachment and his role in directly killing the Boss. The man went insane, believing he was betrayed by the times, and betrayed by the Boss. Most importantly I need you to answer, how could he possibly want to take revenge when he fully believes that the Boss has betrayed him?

I can look past all he did, because unlike either his brothers or his father, Solidus cared about people.
Snake doesn't, Snake is an apathetic man who goes where he's told, does what he's told and then has the gall to get offended when people use him like the tool he's allowed himself to be.
Liquid was a two dimensional misanthrope, given too much credibility by fans because of how awesome MGS was back in 1998.

Only Solidus gave a sh*t about other people, only Solidus was what I would class as heroic or possessing noble ideals. What he did in the past is of little consequence when you consider the man he chose to become. He was the favored son of the Patriots, given comfort and power and a life of luxury. Solidus was handed every opportunity and yet he traded it all in, he basically sacrificed his entire life to the pursuit of liberty and freeing his people.
Even his other objective, of being remembered by history, is a truly understandable and sympathetic goal in my eyes.

I can agree with all of this, actually. Even as an anti-villain, he makes Solid seem to be a reluctant tool. I still stand by the fact that Solidus did nothing that was able to undermine the Patriots. Though I recognize that he is the most active in pursuing his goals, he was still outplayed by the Patriots. MGS4 Spoilers: In my eyes, the true hero of the franchise was Ocelot, as he was THE cunning strategist, driven by righteous motivation and possessing the will and influence to finally destroy the Patriots.

And how is his character rewarded? Does anyone give a sh*t? Does his father, in his quaint little deathbed confession, even give him the time of day? Nope. Just forgotten. Whilst Snake gets the big teary send-off, Big Boss glosses over a lifetime of evil and Liquid is kinda-sorta the main villain.
Solidus was the noblest of all the characters, the most heroic in my eyes and just got the short end of the stick at the end of it all.

Well, Raiden gives a sh*t and much more, but I'm not sure how you regard him. You could say Solidus' ideals are now embedded in Raiden's motivations. He always takes something from what he cuts, after all. I don't believe Solidus deserved a much bigger role than antagonist of MGS2. His character was introduced late, and he was as much a pawn of the Patriots as much as Raiden was.

If they put a child version of him in The Phantom Pain, I think I'd probably buy it. I mean, they're obviously including Liquid, so why not go for all the brothers?

This. I want MGSV to be the one time where all the brothers and the father are in one place.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:08 PM

QUOTE (Adler @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 16:03)
Most importantly I need you to answer, how could he possibly want to take revenge when he fully believes that the Boss has betrayed him?

He may have believed that she betrayed him, but it never made the pain go away. As he said in MGS4, he felt as though a part of him died when she did. He never got over her and so never truly let go of the anger at her death.
His revenge manifested itself in a hatred for 'normal' people, something that becomes more apparent throughout MGS3 when he hangs up on Paramedic and blanks his own friend in the White House.

The Boss' death was the catalyst for his radicalisation, the source of all the bitterness that unhinged his mind. In the original Metal Gear series, he expresses a disdain for Western culture, deriding the journalists who'd snoop around war veterans for a story and the society that would otherwise forget people like him.

In many ways, his revenge is twofold - to retaliate against the society that sent him to murder The Boss and to 'punish' her for leaving him by working for perpetual warfare in direct opposition to her hippy spiel about uniting the world.

But it all stems from the rage he feels at her death. So yes, I feel that his entire character is motivated by the death of a single woman, hence why I don't like him very much.

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( -`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

I see, so you believe he was taking revenge against The Boss. This makes a lot more sense.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:52 PM

Mass Effect 2, Modern Warfare 1 2 and 3, and GTA IV all made me cry.

There were more but they aren't coming to mind.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:09 PM

QUOTE (Adler @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 17:49)
I see, so you believe he was taking revenge against The Boss. This makes a lot more sense.

Revenge for her and against her all at once.
At least, that's how I interpret it.

Cuban800
  • Cuban800

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 01:47 PM

The Walking Dead.

The ending. cryani.gif cryani.gif cryani.gif

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 30 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

The Last of Us, there a some parts in that game that a down right sad and despreesive
RDR, Dat ending

I thought the Walking Dead was predictable seeing that it falls victim to the Generic zombie ending is just a load of crap

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

The Walking Dead

Especially that starving zombified kid in the attic of that house, the fate of Katjaa and Kenny Jr and of course the ending

Can't wait for Walking Dead 2!!!

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:36 PM

Because the Last of Us ending is so original. tounge.gif

nitrousoxide
  • nitrousoxide

Jimmy Leppard's Dupe Account

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:41 PM

NBA 2K11. it made me cry because is impossible to win

Chris Fromage
  • Chris Fromage

Homie

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 30 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (nitrousoxide @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 17:41)
NBA 2K11. it made me cry because is impossible to win

I remember I almost cried (out of anger) because I just couldn't finish Super Mario Bros.
Still didn't finish it until today...

Flight180Victm
  • Flight180Victm

Give me the power, I beg of you!

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 01:47 AM

Two words. Heavy Rain.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:01 AM

QUOTE (Fireman @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 02:12)
Mafia and L.A. Noire were pretty sad.

Also Baldur's Gate 2 since almost all the NPC's you met in BG1 die/are dead there.

This and Silent Hill 1 when Lisa dies.

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 31 August 2013 - 02:36 AM Edited by NYC PATROL, 31 August 2013 - 07:33 PM.

Metal Gear Solid 3 and 4. No other game can compare to what I felt after
completing them.

W2B
  • W2B

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 31 August 2013 - 06:51 AM

I have to say the ending of Half Life 2 Episode 2 was pretty sad too. What makes it even more sad, is the fact that I'm still waiting to see what happens next...........................................................

Still waiting for Episode 3 / HL 3.............

And waiting............

And waiting...........

cryani.gif suicidal.gif

G D
  • G D

Praise the sun, or die trying.

• Members
  • None

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

My favorite games:

Red Dead Redemption.
The Last of Us.

I Was pretty sad with Redemption, but really depressed whith TLoU...
If you actually understand the story and everything and you're mature it would do that to you...

I'm sure I forgot alot of games, but these would do.

clax302
  • clax302

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

The whole story behind max payne is pretty depressing. Poor guy.

AreXi
  • AreXi

Quack Quack

• Members

Posted 31 August 2013 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 20:09)

Yeah well, if you don't know what the hell you're talking about, it's best to keep quiet.

Hodgey.
  • Hodgey.

GTA III, VC, SA, LCS, VCS, IV, TLAD, TBoGT and V all 100%

• Members
  • England
  • Best Avatar 2012
    Winner of Euro 2012 Prediction League

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:05 PM

Depending on how you played the game i would say Heavy Rain.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:40 PM Edited by Typhus, 31 August 2013 - 04:48 PM.

QUOTE (AreXi @ Saturday, Aug 31 2013, 15:44)
QUOTE (Typhus @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 20:09)

Yeah well, if you don't know what the hell you're talking about, it's best to keep quiet.

I always know what I'm talking about.

KaRzY6
  • KaRzY6

♧ Sick Kunt ♤

• Members

Posted 03 September 2013 - 11:14 AM

Probably in Call of Duty: MW2. It was so sad when Sheppard kills Roach and Ghost. Traiting bastard!

GTAfear
  • GTAfear

Think of a yellow rubber duck!

• Members
  • Croatia

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 18:31)
To The Moon.

I'd like to thank you for introducing me to this game. Just finished it minutes ago. Wow... Thanks.

acmilano
  • acmilano

Soldier

• Members

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:45 AM

Spec Ops:The Line.
Everybody died in this game,people of Dubai,CIA Agents and Insurgents,Damned Batallion,Walkers team,and Walker himself in most endings.
You feel bad for playing that game,killing people and at the end it was for nothing. This is basically first anti-war game and anybody who think war is an good thing should play this game and open his eyes.

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( -`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 05 September 2013 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE (acmilano @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 16:45)
This is basically first anti-war game

Metal Gear Solid would like a word with you. wink.gif
  • AceRay likes this

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:28 AM

QUOTE (acmilano @ Thursday, Sep 5 2013, 13:45)
Spec Ops:The Line.
Everybody died in this game,people of Dubai,CIA Agents and Insurgents,Damned Batallion,Walkers team,and Walker himself in most endings.
You feel bad for playing that game,killing people and at the end it was for nothing. This is basically first anti-war game and anybody who think war is an good thing should play this game and open his eyes.

dude, Spec Ops has nothing to do with wars or is making a statement about war, writer Walt Williams even said so himself. pretty sure its stated somewhere here: spoilers ahoy

http://www.polygon.c...ec-ops-the-line

http://gamingbolt.co...h-walt-williams

Spec Ops is making a statement about using war video games as an escapist genre to make yourself feel like a hero and to show what your generic action heroes turn into in an environment with no rules, as can be seen in the White Phosphorous scene. That is literally stated in the ending.

You came here to feel like something you're not: A hero.

Bigs
  • Bigs

OG

• Members

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:33 AM

I'd say a toss up between OG Max Payne and Heavy Rain. Quite melancholy.

Freakorama
  • Freakorama

Freako

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:49 AM

The Last of Us as the only video game to ever make me cry.
  • AceRay likes this

Finite
  • Finite

Solitude

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:42 AM Edited by Lightning Strike, 06 September 2013 - 02:43 AM.

The Last of Us as the only video game to ever make me cry.

So it makes you sad, and horny? Truly this is the only game for you.

• AceRay likes this

BoMBeRMeN
  • BoMBeRMeN

Cpt. Obvious

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:30 PM Edited by BoMBeRMeN, 06 September 2013 - 12:30 PM.

The Last of Us. 

That game.. man. I've never cried over a game before. 

Red Dead was kind of sad, too. 

Piperka
  • Piperka

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Australia

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

Mirror's Edge.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users