Photo

Saddest Game you ever played?

70 replies to this topic
Chris Fromage
  • Chris Fromage

Homie

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:26 PM Edited by Chris Fromage, 27 August 2013 - 04:53 PM.

As the title says it: What is the saddest game you ever played? What game made you cry or made you sad?
Last week, I played 'To the moon', and I have to say that I had a hard time not to cry. The gameplay and/or graphics might not be what we are used to, but a story like that has not been seen that much anymore...

Vote on your saddest game and tell me why smile.gif

(The list above are the games with the saddest moments/stories according to several sites. I didn't play most of them by myself, but I would if they get enough votes.)

EDIT: Poll has been deleted. For the people who were interested: The walking death had the most votes, followed by Red Dead redemtion

Cyper
  • Cyper

Liberty City Lover Since 2001

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

Null vote.

Mafia 1.

Mista J
  • Mista J

I can't wait to show you my toys...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:31 PM

The Walking Dead, made me cry. It's the only game to date to make me do that.

P.S, INB4 "Wherez teh Last of Us!"

Chris Fromage
  • Chris Fromage

Homie

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:32 PM

The Last of Us

Mafia 1

Oops, forgot those. It would have been great if there was a way to edit polls

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:35 PM

Ace Combat 5.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:42 PM

Mafia and L.A. Noire were pretty sad.

Also Baldur's Gate 2 since almost all the NPC's you met in BG1 die/are dead there.

Moonshield
  • Moonshield

mountaineer

• Administrator
  • Nicaragua
  • Best Senior Moderator 2013
    Best OGA Member 2014

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:03 PM

I decided to remove the poll - I think it'll add a little more to the discussion and avoid complaints about leaving certain games out.

Aly Zaroon
  • Aly Zaroon

Spammaster

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

No game made me cry yet! or even film

Distrom
  • Distrom

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • Venezuela

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (Killerdude8 @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 11:35)
Ace Combat 5.

I know right? What a beautifull story.

Braindawg
  • Braindawg

Carbon based Buffoon!!

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (Erebos @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 10:31)
The Walking Dead, made me cry. It's the only game to date to make me do that.

P.S, INB4 "Wherez teh Last of Us!"

I agree. I almost cried in the end of The Walking Dead. And I'm a grown ass man!! God damn you Telltale Games!

Otter
  • Otter

sea dwelling madman

• Administrator
  • Canada

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

final Fantasy 8, because I was emotionally fragile back then. tounge.gif

i still get happy/sad weepy when I hear "eyes on you".

The Milkman
  • The Milkman

"I'm just picking mushrooms and berries."

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

Mafia
Heavy Rain

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (Distrom @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 10:13)
Ace Combat 5.

Great Story, Great Soundtrack, Sadly this game is EXTREMELY underrated.

flitcroft101
  • flitcroft101

wat

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

ICO/Shadow of the Colossus - if you've ever played through them you'll probably agree.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:31 PM

To The Moon.

Mass Effect 3 was also sad. It knew exactly where to strike. Right in the feels, man.

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( -`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (Distrom @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 08:13)
Ace Combat 5.

Also kind of cheesy, but that's a good thing sometimes lol. I prefer AC04's story myself.

The Walking Dead and Radiant Historia are the closest I've gotten to crying over a video game. I would say Mafia too, but... "I got used to it."

BullworthAcademy
  • BullworthAcademy

Can't wait for Red Dead Redemption 2!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:17 PM

The Last of Us.
Spec Ops: The Line.

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

Silent Hill 2. Whenever I even think of those opening lines, I start to tear up. By the end, I was curled up in a ball, crying my eyes out. Dammit James, just dammit. cryani.gif

Spec Ops: The Line also had me crying A LOT, especially during "that scene" (you know the one if you've played it), its really the moment the game changes from a normal shooter into a complete deconstruction of the genre and psychological examination, basically examining who YOU are and why YOU play games. It probably changed the way I view my life. The ending also pretty much destroys a lot of the time.

Nun0567
  • Nun0567

Thug

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:38 PM

No game made be cry, but Shadow of the Colossus, Heavy Rain and Red Dead Redemption were close. I want to play MGS4 but I just cant find that game for sale.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:47 PM

When you find out that Solidus is the hero of Metal Gear Solid 2 and you have to kill him anyway, that moment always gets to me, it still does.
In fact, it so impacted me as a gamer, that when I saw how his character was brushed under the carpet in MGS4, I swore never to buy or even play the game. A promise I have kept to this day.

Still gives me f*cking chills.

sublimelabs
  • sublimelabs

The Jimmy Rustler

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:54 PM Edited by sublimelabs, 27 August 2013 - 08:56 PM.

Gone Home is the first game that comes to mind. Emotionally resonant, on a personal level. No other game has come close, except maybe Dear Esther--another great story-driven exploration game.

Spec Ops: The Line was grim, and I felt pretty empty after finishing it. Fantastic game.

And can't forget Red Dead Redemption. Perfect balance of drama and funny satire, IMO.

Ibrahimhassounah
  • Ibrahimhassounah

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

Red Dead Redemption has almost make me cry ; John Marston dying was really sad

Adler
  • Adler

Hello, Smith. ( -`)ノ

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 12:47)
When you find out that Solidus is the hero of Metal Gear Solid 2 and you have to kill him anyway, that moment always gets to me, it still does.
In fact, it so impacted me as a gamer, that when I saw how his character was brushed under the carpet in MGS4, I swore never to buy or even play the game. A promise I have kept to this day.

Is it that much of a problem though? Solidus' time passed, and so did everyone else's in MGS4. Even if his character isn't a main story element in MGS4, it's worth exploring Solid/Old Snake's character as he will be robbed of his time the same as Solidus was.

Let's not forget that Solidus' good attributes were still impressed on Raiden at the end of MGS2, and he learned from Solidus from that time, as well as Armstrong in Revengeance. It's not a complete loss that Solidus is barely mentioned anymore, since his spirit was basically revived in the form of Armstrong, even if he's a tad bit more loony.

I still regard Solidus as an anti-villain rather than a hero. Remember when he forced the Small Boy Unit, Raiden included, to consume gunpowder in order to make them more easily controllable? Remember him callously shooting Olga even when completely aware that she was aiding Raiden to keep her child alive? He would kill Raiden just to find a trace of the Patriots in his nanomachines in his desire to destroy them. In the end, he did no more than the role that the Patriots assigned him in MGS2.

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:31 PM Edited by Lightning Strike, 27 August 2013 - 10:00 PM.

Shadow of the Colossus.

This is the only game I'll ever consider to be completely and utterly perfect, there are no flaws in this game and the ending is the digital embodiment of perfection. Prior to this videogame, I had never been so immersed that I dropped my controller, put my head in my hands and uncontrollably starting crying, the inevitability of the game's ending was brilliant. Each time I play it I know that it won't end any other way no matter how hard try to keep pushing forward but each time I feel compelled to do so, each time I fail and each time the game wins.

When this videogame came out it taught me two things, the first is that video games can be considered an art form and that it is possible for a game to be perfect in every way. The game, despite its rather dated graphics still looks better than any other game on the the market, the design for the gameworld is perfect, and Team Ico have clearly put an unthinkable amount of time into thinking about how the game works and why it works the way it does. The game is always going to be the same bittersweet experience and it knows you want to change that, it fools you each time into thinking that you can change your fate, the game hides secret places, locations and items that each time you discover a new one you believe that the game will finally give you your cake and let you eat it too.

It never does. A perfect example of this is the fruits that you can find by climbing certain trees in the game or shooting them down with your bow, the moment you eat them you're given a small health boost, if you find all of these fruits in five straight playthrough a single extra bird will appear in the starting area of the game (it doesn't notify you of any of this though) and if you manage to perfectly balance the bird's height and your stamina you'll be able to reach the top of the great tower (the only real structure in the game). I should also remember to mention that in order for this bird to appear you'll need to ride each bird in the game to their specific locations, with a new one appearing up until the fifth playthrough.

However when this one appears and takes you to the top of the great tower you're gifted with a view few players have heard of and even fewer have seen, an astonishingly beautiful garden with a magnificent, gigantic tree located right in the center of it and on one of its branches lies a very special fruit, shoot it down and eat it and something will happen that is symbolic of every part of the game. You take damage for eating it, something you work so hard to achieve, that requires hundreds of hours of work, great perception and unwavering trust that the game will finally give you something to repay you for having to go through that ending five times. It hurts you, in turn for you exploring it and learning about it, it gives you its love and you kill all of it, every living thing inside of it to bring to life something from the outside.

The ending of the game, much like the game itself is absolute perfection.

Quackerz Gamerz
  • Quackerz Gamerz

Radio Ga Ga!

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 09:58 PM

Although I've never played it, two parts in The Walking Dead almost had me in tears. (I watched a Let's Play)

The moment Lee finds out he's been bitten, and the very end.

BullworthAcademy
  • BullworthAcademy

Can't wait for Red Dead Redemption 2!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

Silent Hill 2 was an awesome and sad experience. sad.gif

Johan
  • Johan

Free The Future

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Dominican-Republic
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA]

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:16 PM

L.A Noire gave me a little sadness, I don't need to explain why it made me sad.. unless you've never played the game of course.

Journey, say what you want about the game but it was very emotional for a short game

Walking Dead from Telltale games, got too attached to most of the characters, loved the journey from start to finish, most definitely memorable in the gaming industry.

Mista J
  • Mista J

I can't wait to show you my toys...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (Quackerz Gamerz @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 21:58)
Although I've never played it, two parts in The Walking Dead almost had me in tears. (I watched a Let's Play)

The moment Lee finds out he's been bitten, and the very end.

When that happened I was literally like "No, no, no, no!" I felt like I was the one bitten, i felt like i failed Clemintine.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 28 August 2013 - 06:56 AM

QUOTE (Adler @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 21:27)
I still regard Solidus as an anti-villain rather than a hero. Remember when he forced the Small Boy Unit, Raiden included, to consume gunpowder in order to make them more easily controllable? Remember him callously shooting Olga even when completely aware that she was aiding Raiden to keep her child alive? He would kill Raiden just to find a trace of the Patriots in his nanomachines in his desire to destroy them. In the end, he did no more than the role that the Patriots assigned him in MGS2.

I can look past all he did, because unlike either his brothers or his father, Solidus cared about people.
Snake doesn't, Snake is an apathetic man who goes where he's told, does what he's told and then has the gall to get offended when people use him like the tool he's allowed himself to be.
Liquid was a two dimensional misanthrope, given too much credibility by fans because of how awesome MGS was back in 1998.
And Big Boss? Well, Big Boss wanted to plunge the world into perpetual warfare because his girlfriend died. He was a crybaby and all his plans eventually boiled down to a giant revenge scheme because a single woman died. For her sake, he would happily ruin the lives of millions of people and murdered countless children out of pure vindictiveness.

Only Solidus gave a sh*t about other people, only Solidus was what I would class as heroic or possessing noble ideals. What he did in the past is of little consequence when you consider the man he chose to become. He was the favored son of the Patriots, given comfort and power and a life of luxury. Solidus was handed every opportunity and yet he traded it all in, he basically sacrificed his entire life to the pursuit of liberty and freeing his people.
Even his other objective, of being remembered by history, is a truly understandable and sympathetic goal in my eyes.

And how is his character rewarded? Does anyone give a sh*t? Does his father, in his quaint little deathbed confession, even give him the time of day? Nope. Just forgotten. Whilst Snake gets the big teary send-off, Big Boss glosses over a lifetime of evil and Liquid is kinda-sorta the main villain.
Solidus was the noblest of all the characters, the most heroic in my eyes and just got the short end of the stick at the end of it all.

If they put a child version of him in The Phantom Pain, I think I'd probably buy it. I mean, they're obviously including Liquid, so why not go for all the brothers?

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Tokel. Never forget.

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Wednesday, Aug 28 2013, 08:56)
And how is his character rewarded? Does anyone give a sh*t? Does his father, in his quaint little deathbed confession, even give him the time of day? Nope. Just forgotten.

That's because Hideo Kojima is a f*ckin' idiot. The guy is a terrible writer. He doesn't know what the f*ck he's doing most of the time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users