Photo

give new members a qualifying time before approval

40 replies to this topic
iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:31 AM Edited by iNero, 27 August 2013 - 02:36 AM.

Forums like Neogaf are doing this.
They are doing this to prevent trolls. You need months before you get an appproval and being able to post.

So why not giving new members a waiting time before they can post or before they can create topics? At least until a few weeks after release.

Or after a certain amount of posts

CheesusChrist
  • CheesusChrist

Space cactus

• Members
  • Chile

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:32 AM

Bu-but im not giving away any spoilers :C, and i already like these forums...

leeoggy
  • leeoggy

Things are gonna get really messy!

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:34 AM

you should have to be referred by a member of a certain amount of time

Bonnano
  • Bonnano

i hate the mexican that screams "f*ck me in the ass"

• BUSTED!
  • North-Korea

They should start handing out IP bans to every spoiler troll and trolls in general, starting with Zidane and Iago (I don't know if Zidane has been banned yet)

SlappyPwnsAss
  • SlappyPwnsAss

I done kept it real from tha jump

• Members

I think members should have a certain amount of posts before they can create a new topic so that way, people cant just create a random account and spoil parts of the game just with the title of the thread.

Omnifarious
  • Omnifarious

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

But I like my ability to post. D:

Sept17th2013
  • Sept17th2013

Cracker

• Members
  • None

So that the innocents pay for the sinners too? NAH.

InScienceWeTrust2012
  • InScienceWeTrust2012

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:36 AM

Key words cannot be the thread name. If 5 members report you for the same reason, you're automatically banned. No slap on the wrist

MrSpooge
  • MrSpooge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:37 AM Edited by MrSpooge, 27 August 2013 - 02:39 AM.

Turn this into a poll, but instead of a month make it a week.. Even a month is fine but a week to just test it out, I'd vote yes on this easy. There are too many users on this forum who are just pretending to be here when they know deep down they are purposely going to f*ck up. confused.gif I'm all in.. BTW Bonnano IP Bans with Zidane don't work because he uses numerous IPs. Same with Iago. The more you know.

@SlappyPWNass. This is also a great idea.

Something like this would help the Mods/Admins jobs and make this place much more welcoming, also if it was actually available before the leak nobody would had got spoiled.. and if it does now it can reduce the risk of anybody else either.

iNero
  • iNero

Black Tiger Sex Machine

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:37 AM

QUOTE (Bonnano @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 04:34)
They should start handing out IP bans to every spoiler troll and trolls in general, starting with Zidane and Iago (I don't know if Zidane has been banned yet)

He gets everytime. He has like 50 different accounts already. He registeres with proxy so you cant prevent it

I'll be your sinner in secret.

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE (Bonnano @ Monday, Aug 26 2013, 22:34)

Yes, Zidane has been banned about 300 times now.

TotallyNotClaudeSpeed
  • TotallyNotClaudeSpeed

-Lotus- Coyote Unit

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:40 AM

I understand where you're coming from OP, but it wouldn't be fair to those who just want a fair shake..

The Spoiler section would have prevented this if it was still available..then again you get the occasional dick nose who feels the need to be the douche to post a spoilter deliberately in the topic title just to rustle jimmies (in reference to the post that was recently deleted).

Forums are always bad when spoilers are out and trust me I understand it's annoying, BUT with that said there's only so much the mod's can do unfortunately..
confused.gif cryani.gif suicidal.gif icon13.gif

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:45 AM

QUOTE (TotallyNotClaudeSpeed @ Monday, Aug 26 2013, 22:40)
I understand where you're coming from OP, but it wouldn't be fair to those who just want a fair shake..

The Spoiler section would have prevented this if it was still available..then again you get the occasional dick nose who feels the need to be the douche to post a spoilter deliberately in the topic title just to rustle jimmies (in reference to the post that was recently deleted).

Forums are always bad when spoilers are out and trust me I understand it's annoying, BUT with that said there's only so much the mod's can do unfortunately..
confused.gif cryani.gif suicidal.gif icon13.gif

Exactly. In the end, the best way to avoid spoilers is to leave. Don't want to? Stop bitching.

Troll_Hunter
  • Troll_Hunter

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:46 AM

Sounds like a good idea to me but I doubt it'll be implemented. Honestly, the best way to avoid spoilers is to stay away from the forums until you play the game. I've certainly learnt my lesson after reading the L thread posted a few minutes ago.

TheTerminatorNY
  • TheTerminatorNY

Saxon = Joke Account

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:47 AM

Why do new members need to be able to create new topics anyway? That should be a privilege they get after contributing to the community for X amount of days/weeks. I've been here for years and never felt the need to create a new topic. There are already dozens of unnecessary topics created every day anyway, this will curtail that while also stop trolls form signing up and immediately creating topics with spoilers in the title.

MrSpooge
  • MrSpooge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:48 AM

iNero this is your topic.. If you haven't PM'd these ideas to a Mod/Admin in a hour or so I'll do it.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

HowLongUntilTrumpLeaves.com

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:49 AM

I think this is a great idea.

I wanted to leave the V section but I decided to stick around just to help report things since the mods can't be everywhere at once and reporting helps them catch it.

But I have gotten spoiled so many f*cking times in the process because some troll signs up and within minutes posts a thread with the spoilers in the title.

I think something should be implemented (till the release of V, at least) that doesn't allow new members to post for a few days to a week of their joining.

Because seriously, this is going to get a lot worse once the physical version is leaked. People will be spoiling the entire story not just things from the audio leak.

We need to prepare our anuses as best we can.

Troll_Hunter
  • Troll_Hunter

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:50 AM Edited by Troll_Hunter, 27 August 2013 - 02:55 AM.

QUOTE (Bonnano @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 02:34)

I'm pretty sure some of the hardcore trolls like Zidane use proxies, so banning IP address won't make a difference

Iago123
  • Iago123

Craptasket is a fraud

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:52 AM

I havent been banned. All I did was ask admins to make it so threads have to be approved first to avoid having everybody getting spoilered by trolls and their untagged spoiler titles.

EGB727
  • EGB727

Stupid dumb idiot

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:52 AM

I'm a new register, been around since before IV on and off, think I've made an account once or twice..But honestly I wouldn't mind. I'd rather have it that way than have a bunch of sick bastards join then run around spoiling the game at will. I'm about to stop coming til after I've completed the story cause I feel it's too risky to keep lurking...should quit while I'm ahead. The fact that members of this forum (I know I'm not the only one) feel this way is proof something needs to be done, even if spoilers can't be outright, 100% prevented.

r0eladn
  • r0eladn

Big Homie

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:54 AM

At least do something, i wanna stay at the V section, but ive heard some spoilers now, its really irritating.

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:56 AM

QUOTE (r0eladn @ Monday, Aug 26 2013, 22:54)
At least do something, i wanna stay at the V section, but ive heard some spoilers now, its really irritating.

Right now spoiler threads are popping up every 5 minutes on average.

Stay away.

Iago123
  • Iago123

Craptasket is a fraud

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:56 AM

QUOTE (EGB727 @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 02:52)
I'm a new register, been around since before IV on and off, think I've made an account once or twice..But honestly I wouldn't mind. I'd rather have it that way than have a bunch of sick bastards join then run around spoiling the game at will. I'm about to stop coming til after I've completed the story cause I feel it's too risky to keep lurking...should quit while I'm ahead. The fact that members of this forum (I know I'm not the only one) feel this way is proof something needs to be done, even if spoilers can't be outright, 100% prevented.

Kirsty is a cool person but always locked threads with good ideas and not breaking any rule instead of actually moderating against leakers.

Matty
  • Matty

Bounty Hunter

• Australia

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:11 AM Edited by DTUMan, 27 August 2013 - 03:18 AM.

Restricting people from posting when they first register - even for only a few weeks, when people register to ask questions or discuss other subjects (including of course the older GTA's) and not only GTA V, wouldn't be a very appropriate move.

People trolling by posting spoilers and leaks is nothing new - it also happened with GTA IV when it was very close to release - so this isn't exactly anything new.

We do our best to rid the V forum of spoilers as fast as we possibly can (and I think we are more than capable of doing so given that we have all timezones pretty much covered 95% of the time). It also doesn't help when members post in spoiler topics saying "f*ck you" or something like that as that just brings such topics to the top of the topic index.

As has been stated multiple times, just report such topics and posts as quickly as possible and move on and they'll be dealt with (i.e; removed or edited.)

TheTerminatorNY
  • TheTerminatorNY

Saxon = Joke Account

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:19 AM

QUOTE (DTUMan @ Monday, Aug 26 2013, 23:11)
Restricting people from posting when they first register - even for only a few weeks, when people register to ask questions or discuss other subjects (including of course the older GTA's) and not only GTA V, wouldn't be a very appropriate move.

I agree, restricting people from posting when they first register isn't right.

But why do they need to be able to create new topics? I hate to belittle people, but most of the stupid and moronic new topics over the past couple of weeks have been created by people who have registered the very same day. Same with troll topics, joke topics and spoiler topics. The GTA V section is such a cesspit of stupidity and it's mostly because of the new topics popping up every 5 minutes asking if people are going to spread peanut butter on their penises while playing GTA V and if we plan to eat a sandwich while the game installs. Just utter nonsense.

This place has too many good members to allow the V section to be such a hive of stupidity. If new members have a question, there is an entire topic dedicated to asking questions about GTA V. They don't need to be able to register and immediately create a new topic for their every thought and idea.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

HowLongUntilTrumpLeaves.com

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:28 AM

What TheTerminatorNY said.

Restricting new members posting abilities is just a bit much but their ability to create topics is a different matter. At least that way people can't start troll threads or create topics with spoilers in them.

Then again, they will just do the alternative and post within topics causing derailment and more spoilage since people wouldn't go into that topic expecting to see a spoiler within. Troll threads/spoiler topics are usually easily identifiable even if it's not in the title. So.....

TheTerminatorNY
  • TheTerminatorNY

Saxon = Joke Account

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE (Audiophile @ Monday, Aug 26 2013, 23:28)
Then again, they will just do the alternative and post within topics causing derailment and more spoilage since people wouldn't go into that topic expecting to see a spoiler within. Troll threads/spoiler topics are usually easily identifiable even if it's not in the title. So.....

Some will, undoubtedly. Posting spoilers inside topics is actually a more effective way of trolling as people aren't expecting it as much, but most of these people like the attention of creating new topics for maximum sh*ts and giggles. They don't want their precious spoilers or troll-posts to be hidden away on page 14 of a topic. These are kids/morons who want attention.

Girish
  • Girish

Leone Family Mafia

• India
  • Best Moderator 2011

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:25 AM

You guys seem to have forgotten that there are sub-forums other than GTA V. There are people who join for getting help on or discussing older GTA games, modding, etc. Why do you think it would be fair to restrict their posting ability due to fear of a few trolls spoiling an upcoming game?
  • Toghrul Rahimli likes this

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:32 AM

QUOTE (Girish @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 10:55)
You guys seem to have forgotten that there are sub-forums other than GTA V. There are people who join for getting help on or discussing older GTA games, modding, etc. Why do you think it would be fair to restrict their posting ability due to fear of a few trolls spoiling an upcoming game?

Exactly. If you look around the other GTA Sub-forums you'll see that a lot of new members actually sign up due to troubleshooting problems.

Also, let's not forget the older members creating new accounts.

MiamiViceCity
  • MiamiViceCity

The Harwood Butcher

• Australia
  • Most Obsessive Name Changer 2016 (My unofficial GTAF annual award)
    Biggest Fanboy 2013, 2014, 2015
    Best Poster [GTA] 2014
    Best Member in the OGA 2012

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE (Girish @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 16:25)

Agreed. It sounds like a good idea in theory, but why punish everyone? Besides it's not just new members posting spoilers. There are older members doing it too.
  • Toghrul Rahimli likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users