Photo

What's so great about IV?

26 replies to this topic
Vic 2.0
  • Vic 2.0

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:43 PM

I hear a lot of people saying it's the absolute best GTA. So I was wondering if someone could tell me what it has over previous games, besides graphics. Keep in mind that I've never played it, so no spoilers on the story, please.

confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

rebel

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:53 PM

its amazing 100000000000000000000000000000 times better than sa!!!!!!!!!!!!! the story is great. niko the protagonist is great. there are alot of cars. the physics are good and so are the graphics. the map isint as big as gta sa but its bigger than vice city. and id say its a decent size. you will have to experience it yourself to truly enjoy it. its an experience youl never forget!!

PaletoChickenCapo
  • PaletoChickenCapo

AMF Associate

• Members
  • Norway

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

'Cus titties.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria

Posted 25 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

GTA IV is a substantial improvement over past games in quite a few regards. The graphics are a lot better, but they are not what makes a game great. It's a nice addition, but that's it, basically. The attention to detail is impressive, and I would go so far to say that this game was far ahead of its time. The shooting mechanics improved massively as well. Though, IV has far less weapons compared ot its predecessor, the guns you will see here really feel like guns. They feel a lot more powerful, and the animations a very well done.

The new introduced Euphoria Engine is responsible for the realistic animations; and besides the fact that controls on foot feel a bit clunky, the characters seem to have some sort of 'mass'. It's a lot more realistic, and you will eventually get used to it. When it comes to the handling of vehicles, IV did the best out of all GTAs, in my opinion. Cars kinda feel a bit boat like and the motorcycles are not so great to drive, which was fixed in the add-ons TLaD and TBoGT, but other than that, it's definitely far superior compared to past titles, and even compared to modern openworld games. Rockstar nailed it almost perfectly, although it's a matter of taste.

IV is also the first GTA game that does have proper cover mechanics, which is indeed very useful. Without it, it is hard to pass the missions. It's obvious that the creators spent some time on it to perfect it. As for the characters, I think this game has the most likable ones in the GTA series. If you are someone who cares more about the characters, the background story and the storyline itself, then it's almost a given that you will enjoy GTA IV. I consider is as my favourite game, and I only can recommend it to you!

Smaaske
  • Smaaske

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:45 PM

Because of the big skycrapers and the ghetto and the dark feeling athmosphere and long rainy days... Something we won't see in Los Santos.

Nameless Foot Soldier
  • Nameless Foot Soldier

Libertonian

• Members

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:43 AM

The city is highly detailed, there is never a part where it looks the same. There is a slew of things to do from getting drunk, bowling, helicopter tours, illegal racing and many, many things to do, hell, it even has it's own in game T.V and Internet. The story itself is one of the grandest I have ever encountered.

Mr. Rocko
  • Mr. Rocko

Official SA-MP Addict

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:18 AM

QUOTE (confederatestatesgta @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 15:53)
there are alot of cars.

No.

J32T3R
  • J32T3R

Stone Free

• Members

Posted 26 August 2013 - 01:28 AM

QUOTE (confederatestatesgta @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 15:53)
its amazing 100000000000000000000000000000 times better than sa!!!!!!!!!!!!! the story is great. niko the protagonist is great. there are alot of cars. the physics are good and so are the graphics. the map isint as big as gta sa but its bigger than vice city. and id say its a decent size. you will have to experience it yourself to truly enjoy it. its an experience youl never forget!!

No. Just No. confused.gif

Johan.
  • Johan.

Got milk?

• The Yardies
  • United-States

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:03 AM

I don't care how big a game is, the story is what lures me in and that's what GTA IV had besides the gameplay and the graphics.

confederatestatesgta
  • confederatestatesgta

rebel

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:43 AM

nute101 if there arent alot of cars than why does it have the second most cars in the series?

j32tsr yes just yes all yall are san andreas lovers san an was ok but the story and physics? no just no thats more overated than 4 just because you cant fly planes dont mean it sucks

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

Nate is Love, Nate is Life

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 August 2013 - 05:12 AM

The atmosphere, the detail, the characters, the plot, the physics, oh my god the physics

Alderney_Broker
  • Alderney_Broker

Alderney_Broker

• Members

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:03 AM

For me, the character Niko was much more easier to relate to.

The storyline was great and the fact that in some missions you can chose 2 different fates was phenomenal for me, infact you can play the game a number of times and have different outcomes smile.gif

dragon_goran_mijo
  • dragon_goran_mijo

Suspect is driving a red sports car

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:58 AM

The fans. IV fans have really matured over time. On the IV board, anyway.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

LS1 powered

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:45 AM

While GTA IV's graphics are nice (for 2008) to me they're only a bonus and make up a small proportion why it's my favourite GTA.

Anyway I think one of the best things about GTA IV are the way side missions compliment the story. They feel more suitable without being "random". It may have worked for the GTA III era, but Niko delivering pizzas on a scooter, as an ambulance driver, a car salesman etc IMO would be retarded.

Also the usage of random characters brings the city to life knowing there are characters who have things they need to have taken of outside the confines of the story. The dating/friend system which always gets bashed adds another layer without needing the story too.

I've always felt GTA IV has a lot of depth that doesn't get realised enough because it's not shoehorned with features to the brim. SA is the complete opposite. It has no where near the amount of depth GTA IV does. Just a heap of surface features.

The old saying "less is more" pretty much sums up GTA IV to me.

dragon_goran_mijo
  • dragon_goran_mijo

Suspect is driving a red sports car

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:56 AM

QUOTE (Miamivicecity @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 06:45)
While GTA IV's graphics are nice (for 2008) to me they're only a bonus and make up a small proportion why it's my favourite GTA.

Anyway I think one of the best things about GTA IV are the way side missions compliment the story. They feel more suitable without being "random". It may have worked for the GTA III era, but Niko delivering pizzas on a scooter, as an ambulance driver, a car salesman etc IMO would be retarded.

Also the usage of random characters brings the city to life knowing there are characters who have things they need to have taken of outside the confines of the story. The dating/friend system which always gets bashed adds another layer without needing the story too.

I've always felt GTA IV has a lot of depth that doesn't get realised enough because it's not shoehorned with features to the brim. SA is the complete opposite. It has no where near the amount of depth GTA IV does. Just a heap of surface features.

The old saying "less is more" pretty much sums up GTA IV to me.

I agree with your post, but your conclusion is what puzzles me. Less is more is by far the worst way to describe IV. The attention to detail far outweighs the obvious, in my opinion.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

You'd really have to play the game and see for yourself. Seriously, GTA IV is great in numerous ways. It has great graphics, great physics, great cars, great protagonist, great storyline, and more. Pretty much everything is great TO ME. That's my opinion. Opinions vary about everything to different people. Personally, IV's LC is great. I wouldn't say it has as great of an impact as the III-era LC, but it's still really good. I discover new things that I missed every time I play the game. It's truly a great experience.

Gunslinger_GK
  • Gunslinger_GK

STRR Lieutenant

• Members
  • France

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:43 AM

Decent car handling

GTAnian
  • GTAnian

Rat

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:45 AM

The good thing about GTA IV is that it is a massive area to explore, and there is endless opportunities to start rampages.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

LS1 powered

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:52 AM

QUOTE (GTAnian @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 17:45)
The good thing about GTA IV is that it is a massive area to explore, and there is endless opportunities to start rampages.

Also running over peds in a Mr Tasty with that creepy music watching them fly. biggrin.gif

Bull12345Bull
  • Bull12345Bull

Active member since 10/10/2012.

• Members
  • Greece

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:05 AM

The thing is, comparing IV to SA is totally wrong... A more suitable comparison would be V to SA and IV to III.

DarrinPA
  • DarrinPA

Orange Grove Member

• Members
  • None

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:17 AM

The best thing about GTA IV is that made GTA SA shine even brighter in it's spot of "Best GTA Ever". I believe it showed what the current generation of consoles is all about - Looks. They sucked everybody in with it's supposedly good looks that many people to this day still believe is better than the GTA III.

The thing is, comparing IV to SA is totally wrong... A more suitable comparison would be V to SA and IV to III

I agree. Which just goes to show that GTA IV couldn't even live up to the ability to being compared to a recent GTA, it has to go all the way back to GTA III. Sad really.... confused.gif

Tycek
  • Tycek

Being a bastard works.

• The Yardies
  • Poland

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

QUOTE (Bull12345Bull @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 09:05)
The thing is, comparing IV to SA is totally wrong... A more suitable comparison would be V to SA and IV to III.

In which case there is nothing to compare. III and SA don't have a slightest chance in fight with IV let alone V.

GtaIvFanboy
  • GtaIvFanboy

I Have a Foot Fetish

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:28 AM

QUOTE (DarrinPA @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 07:17)

The best thing about GTA IV is that made GTA SA shine even brighter in it's spot of "Best GTA Ever". I believe it showed what the current generation of consoles is all about - Looks. They sucked everybody in with it's supposedly good looks that many people to this day still believe is better than the GTA III.

The thing is, comparing IV to SA is totally wrong... A more suitable comparison would be V to SA and IV to III

I agree. Which just goes to show that GTA IV couldn't even live up to the ability to being compared to a recent GTA, it has to go all the way back to GTA III. Sad really.... confused.gif

IV Makes San Andreas look Mediocre in comparison id actually say its nearer the likes of saints row 2 in quality than it is IV i mean lots of features fun game but Mediocre Storyline << sounds just like Saints row 2 (San Andreas still about tips it) but its still no match for A Masterpiece Like IV. how about you stop putting Iv down and just go To the San Andreas Part Of the Forum? dozingoff.gif

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

LS1 powered

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE (DarrinPA @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 18:17)

GTA IV could've been made using Minecraft graphics and it would still feel better to play IMO.

severed
  • severed

Old Skool

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:58 AM Edited by severed, 04 September 2013 - 08:14 AM.

if you have never played GTA then you should play them in order. if you play GTA4 first you wont appreciate the older games. I always put GTA3 as my favorite just because its the original, I know many people think that's a stupid reason to call it the best, but after playing the sh*t out of gta3 and its sequal vice city, I got bored with the series so I skipped out on san andreas...

but when gta4 came out I was willing to get back into the series, and even though I enjoyed gta4 a lot including its DLC, I felt that the series has rarely improved upon its core features. gta4 plays just like any other gta just with slightly refined controls, and a much deeper style of story telling... but I have high hopes that gta5 will finally deliver something fresh, and by which I mean something challenging and not the lame AI that makes this series so easy. please don't give us anymore missions where we drive to a clothing store for half an hour sad.gif

anyway, to answer your question... gta4 sh*ts on the older games bcuz its made on superior consoles then the previous installments(duh!)... it also offers a huge story with lots of great characters, great dialogue, great cutscenes, and the environment and graphics just suck you into its world. I know graphics don't make the game but they do help draw you into the story, and that's what makes gta4 so immersive. if you want to discuss faults in the game, sure its not perfect IMO... but theres a reason its among the highest selling games of all time.

as I said before, if you play the newest before you the older ones, it will be harder to enjoy the older ones, but the game I truly recommend playing right away is Red Dead which is wayyy better then gta4

W2B
  • W2B

Is Awesome!

• Zaibatsu
  • South-Africa

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:57 AM Edited by Werebot85, 04 September 2013 - 09:01 AM.

What makes IV great imo besides the graphics:

- the physics (I've always wanted ragdoll physics in GTA, so Euphoria is even better than that smile.gif I mean, what's more satisfying than pushing someone down some stairs and watching them tumble and hearing a loud thump as they smash their face against the concrete floor. Then they slowly get up and you see a small pool of blood... Good times!!!

Also, the driving physics are the best so far imo. A lot of people don't like it, but I love it. Sure some vehicles like the Cavalcade feels like it's gonna roll after every turn, but I don't care, it's fun.

The explosions are some of the best I've ever seen in any game.

- The AI is great. Not perfect, but better than previous GTAs. Peds react to what you're doing. Drivers swerve to avoid stuff. Road rage. Etc...

- Great story

- As always, fun missions, awesome music, humor, characters

- Watching TV is surprisingly fun smile.gif

- The city is the best created for GTA so far. It's big and full of life. Great atmosphere and highly detailed.

Can't think of anything else...

Raspy
  • Raspy

Driver

• Members

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:09 AM

For me, it's the mechanics of the game. 

The driving's pretty much perfect. A lot of people hate on it, they're probably good at it. Likewise, the map was pretty nice too. Was nice to have realistic roads and multiple routes to take; long stretches and turns, etc, etc.

combat is great. fist fighting could be better but the shooting, aiming and all that bloodthirsty stuff is nice. 

The ability to get in taxis helped when you just wanted to get the story finished as quick as possible without having to do a lot of mileage. The re-play mission text message was a blessing. Saved you the hassle of driving all the way back to wherever you had to go to start a mission in older titles. 

The idea of 'choice' in missions helped make things more interesting, providing more sense of control in the game. ie - kill dwayne or playboy, etc. 

Overall, things such as these makes IV better than other titles. However, in terms of music, vibes, story, and more, then I have to say IV doesn't win. 

PS - Severed, you skipped the best GTA by missing out SA.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users