Photo

"Sharks only travel in packs"

102 replies to this topic
Horndick
  • Horndick

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

This image shows that is incorrect. This is a shark by himself, no pack.

So I think we're safe we don't always need to worry about multiple sharks attacking us while we explore underwater.

user posted image

Swat911
  • Swat911

Peon

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

Bullsh*t.

Green Flamenco
  • Green Flamenco

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:08 PM

Not sure if serious..

_johngotdoe
  • _johngotdoe

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

Do sharks travel in packs in real life?

GRINCH ASS BITCH
  • GRINCH ASS BITCH

Soldier

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:09 PM

When/where was it stated sharks only travel in packs? Last time I checked, one of the more recent previews stated that sharks can travel in packs.

Horndick
  • Horndick

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

QUOTE (_johngotdoe @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 16:09)

I think the bullshark do travel in packs/groups.

The one in the picture is a great white, they are usually solo or in groups of two.

arrowface10
  • arrowface10

The Protagonist

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:10 PM

Yes, such as a School of fish, basically they all Hunt in packs, it's a natural thing to do.

Also just because it shows a Great White by its self doesn't mean that there won't be packs of sharks ready to tear flesh and snap bones.

rubix99
  • rubix99

Playa

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:13 PM

I dont think the Bull Shark or Great White actually hunt in packs by nature.....but its not uncommon for multiple sharks to show up where there is potential food.

It's also a fact that even the most dangerous of sharks do NOT generally attack humans or desire them as food. Apparently there is less than a 10% chance a Great White of Bull Shark will attack a human on sight.

beastjeffrey
  • beastjeffrey

Playa

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:14 PM

user posted image

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:15 PM

Eh, I don't get your point, there can be any number of sharks just off screen of that screenshot... it's a very narrow angle shot.....

paletocovebiter
  • paletocovebiter

Peon

• Members

It's not called a "pack" when referring to a group of sharks you would call them a pod or a herd. Not many large sharks group up except for at certain breeding/feeding situations. The different species of reef shark being different is pretty much always found in groups. Hammerheads can also be found in enormous groups. The shark in the rockstar picture is something like a bull/white shark hybrid. I realise its a game but they like to be realistic so a large predatory shark wont usually be found in a herd unless it is a specific feeding ground with lots of food on offer.

I am intrigued in how they will make it all work.

Horndick
  • Horndick

Snitch

• BUSTED!

QUOTE (rubix99 @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 16:13)
I dont think the Bull Shark or Great White actually hunt in packs by nature.....but its not uncommon for multiple sharks to show up where there is potential food.

It's also a fact that even the most dangerous of sharks do NOT generally attack humans or desire them as food. Apparently there is less than a 10% chance a Great White of Bull Shark will attack a human on sight.

Bull shark do travel in packs, definitely saw it on shark week(being serious)

Great whites are more of a solo fish, but you are correct that they will hover where food is.
As well as they rarely attack humans, they actually don't prefer to attack us. They mostly mistake us as a threat, or as seals/other fish.

nickmajfc
  • nickmajfc

GTA V on Next-Gen!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:17 PM

I dont care if they are in packs or not, i just dont want them to be over aggressive and ruin the underwater experience. I heard a red dot will appear on the radar when one is close to you so you know to take action.

Hope it's balanced.

zombie elvis
  • zombie elvis

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (Horndick @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 16:04)

So I think we're safe we don't always need to worry about multiple sharks attacking us while we explore underwater.

I think the preview talked about multiple sharks showing up around Trevor.

Exquise
  • Exquise

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

They can but that doesn't mean they do on a regular basis.

Horndick
  • Horndick

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:19 PM

QUOTE (nickmajfc @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 16:17)
I dont care if they are in packs or not, i just dont want them to be over aggressive and ruin the underwater experience. I heard a red dot will appear on the radar when one is close to you so you know to take action.

Hope it's balanced.

That's actually a good point, I hope they are more so of a rare sight.
I feel it could get annoying quick.. How will we defend ourselves if possible?

paletocovebiter
  • paletocovebiter

Peon

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

QUOTE (Horndick @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 16:19)

Hope it's balanced.

Its the deep blue sea, you shouldn't be able to feel safe. You never know what is swimming around and what its intentions are. I think a spear gun is fair "harpoon" or a large knife.. but realistically against a large shark they are useless. So large sharks should be rare. UNLESS I am sitting on the dock watching some retard surf ... then I want the large sharks to appear in abundance and eat the peds.

Horndick
  • Horndick

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

QUOTE (paletocovebiter @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 16:26)

Hope it's balanced.

Its the deep blue sea, you shouldn't be able to feel safe. You never know what is swimming around and what its intentions are. I think a spear gun is fair "harpoon" or a large knife.. but realistically against a large shark they are useless. So large sharks should be rare. UNLESS I am sitting on the dock watching some retard surf ... then I want the large sharks to appear in abundance and eat the peds.

I do know there is treasure, I'd be ok with sharks more common in the areas with that high value treasure so it poses a challenge to get you know?

paletocovebiter
  • paletocovebiter

Peon

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (Horndick @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 16:29)
QUOTE (paletocovebiter @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 16:26)

Hope it's balanced.

I do know there is treasure, I'd be ok with sharks more common in the areas with that high value treasure so it poses a challenge to get you know?

Eh.. I don't mind where they are tbh.. Hope there is a lot of other types of sea life also. Want to share a beer with a seal. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

THEREALRIK
  • THEREALRIK

REAL RECOGNIZE REAL

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE (rubix99 @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 12:13)

this!

They (bull sharks) hunt alone, instead of in groups, and although they appear slow as they troll the ocean floor, they're known for their agility and quick bursts of speed -- up to 11 miles per hour.

source

most, if not all attacks on humans are in 2-4 feet of water not when youre swimming out in middle of the ocean.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• The Yardies

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:33 PM

No they travel in schools.

paletocovebiter
  • paletocovebiter

Peon

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:34 PM

most, if not all attacks on humans are in 2-4 feet of water not when youre swimming out in middle of the ocean.

Yeah something I mentioned in another thread. People thought the deeper the sea the more likely they would be attacked. Large Sharks patrol drop offs just off the shoreline, River mouths etc etc Wide open sea doesn't tend to be full of their food. icon14.gif

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (paletocovebiter @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 12:34)

Yeah something I mentioned in another thread. People thought the deeper the sea the more likely they would be attacked. Large Sharks patrol drop offs just off the shoreline, River mouths etc etc Wide open sea doesn't tend to be full of their food. icon14.gif

Yea but that's just because 99.9999 percent of people at the beach are there, and only the remaining 0.0001 percent of beachgoers go out in the deep.

There will be 10 thousand people in plain sight on a beach, and only 2 of them - two single people, not even together - will be out in the surf.

That's the only reason the statistics are like that.

It's as silly as caring that UK has less gun deaths now, when the only difference is that the murders are now more brutal with knives, bats, bricks etc. Sure, the gun deaths are down, but the murder isn't. In fact, it went way up since they cracked down on guns there. Same kind of idea, different subject.

The only reason people get eaten close to shore is because that's where the shark babies hang out before they get big enough for the open waters and the vast vast majority of people are there - if all those people switched places and swam in the deep, and left only 1 or 2 people up in the 2 to 4 foot area, the number would turn around precisely, and it would be the same ratio, just deep instead of shallow and shallow instead of deep tounge.gif

CatDog96
  • CatDog96

Dayman

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (Horndick @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 16:15)
QUOTE (rubix99 @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 16:13)

Bull shark do travel in packs, definitely saw it on shark week(being serious)

Great whites are more of a solo fish, but you are correct that they will hover where food is.
As well as they rarely attack humans, they actually don't prefer to attack us. They mostly mistake us as a threat, or as seals/other fish.

Nope you are wrong bull sharks are solitary predetors that will sometimes hunt in pairs. It is one of the only sharks that can swim in freshwater the other being the rare glyphis shark.

THEREALRIK
  • THEREALRIK

REAL RECOGNIZE REAL

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (paletocovebiter @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 12:34)

yeah and not to mention theres just more room in the deep parts of the ocean to elude a shark since their eyes arent the best, they rely on other sense to catch prey.

brian.
  • brian.

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

You cannot evade a shark. It can smell the blood inside your body from 1000s of miles away, without a cut. Beach areas that commonly have people daily are hot spots for these scents.

Pungabi
  • Pungabi

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

Hope it's balanced.

There always submarines for exploring the ocean so the sharks can't get you colgate.gif

Horndick
  • Horndick

Snitch

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

QUOTE (Pungabi @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 16:47)

Hope it's balanced.

There always submarines for exploring the ocean so the sharks can't get you colgate.gif

True but I like the scuba

THEREALRIK
  • THEREALRIK

REAL RECOGNIZE REAL

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (brian. @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 12:47)
You cannot evade a shark. It can smell the blood inside your body from 1000s of miles away, without a cut. Beach areas that commonly have people daily are hot spots for these scents.

Well, youre right and wrong. Youre right to say they can smell blood from a distance (however nowhere close to 1000s of miles) BUT only if you were cut or are bleeding, they can not sence blood inside of your body. Read this for clarification on how they sence blood in the water.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• The Yardies

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (paletocovebiter @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 16:34)

There are plenty of pelagic shark species that patrol the open ocean, like the oceanic white tip. Sharks are heavier than water, so if they don't keep swimming they'll sink to the bottom. That's why there are more coastal species of shark, they can just rest up on the sea bottom and still be near their food. Pelagic sharks must keep swimming or sink miles to the bottom of the ocean, and to do that they have a different anatomy.

Oceanic sharks have really long pectoral fins to make staying near the surface - where their food is - much easier. The shark in the screenshot looks like a bull shark to me (I've seen one while conch fishing, terrifying) with its shot pectoral fins and stocky body.

user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users