Quantcast

» «
Photo

should Rockstar have shown more gameplay videos?

28 replies to this topic
nikobitch
  • nikobitch

The most handsome mafakah!

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:03 PM

As the title says, should Rockstar have shown more gameplay videos in their marketing phase? I feel part of the reason why people have spoiled the game for themselves and so many leaks on the internet is because they just wanted to see some actual gameplay like how they showed Black flag gameplay or watch dogs or any other gameplay video out there but instead they ended up watching spoilers in their scavenger hunt.

I mean c'mon its common sense isn't it, the more you deprive people of things the more curious and ugly they get, that's human nature. And I know there are people who think they shouldn't show gameplay videos because they want to experience it first hand,I totally respect that and it makes sense to me but then you also have a choice whether to watch it or not.

So what do you think? If Rockstar showed us gameplay videos previously would there be LESS spoilers and gtav content on there by now? dontgetit.gif

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:07 PM Edited by gwaha, 25 August 2013 - 12:17 PM.

Nope, they shouldn't have.

Saying that a developer didn't show enough is just a cop out. People will always find a reason as to why they want to see more. Even if people have seen everything there is to see they still demand more. It is human nature to never be satisfied with anything.

Edit:

I am of the believe that Ubisoft shows way, way too much of their games. Maybe it works for them but I think what they show kills my interest in their games. I see no reason to play a game when I can pretty much see all of it in their trailers. It is pretty much just as bad as some movie trailers out there of which you can piece together the story of the entire movie.

D4 Damager
  • D4 Damager

Listening to the Mandolin Rain...

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:10 PM

I don't even need to watch that much gameplay before I decide to buy the game. The release of more gameplay footage probably wouldn't impact that much on either the game's sales figures or the amount of leaked footage. When you consider the fact that as far as I know no gameplay footage has been leaked yet, your position in this debate seems a little strange as you are effectively arguing that releasing gameplay footage will stop people from peeking at unrelated game content on the internet.

CM_Kimmy
  • CM_Kimmy

U WOT M8?

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

Yes. They should have shown a lot more. The gameplay videos are far too short and didn't shown enough gp with the hud.

Negan
  • Negan

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:21 PM

The gameplay videos were showing like 10% gameplay, other stuff in them wasnt gameplay at all.

CM_Kimmy
  • CM_Kimmy

U WOT M8?

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

QUOTE (Negan @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 12:21)
The gameplay videos were showing like 10% gameplay, other stuff in them wasnt gameplay at all.

It was gameplay, but not the gameplay we wanted to see ie the hud

baskerwil
  • baskerwil

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

Besides, GTA is a well-established brand, and the gameplay is well-known. Of course, they have added a lot of new things, but in general, you know what you're in for.

djv3n0m
  • djv3n0m

Bumboclaaaat !!!

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:26 PM

They still have time to do so , but no we got the right amount 7 vids so far is ok even if R* did release more they would've hacked into it anyways IMO

LateNightNeons
  • LateNightNeons

Trick

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

This is actually pretty hard to balance.

On one hand, as OP said, I do believe that if Rockstar keeps their fanbase busy they wont crave for leaks every freakin' second. On the other hand, showing too much is risky, for example I am kinda loosing interest in Watch Dogs, because Ubi has shown so much.
I think Rockstar will show more staff as we come closer to release, but keeping their game in "secrecy" actually benefits their sales.

S-T-F-U
  • S-T-F-U

Rockstar Employee

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

They should definitely have shown more game footage by now. I remember when GTA: San Andreas was a few weeks from release, Rockstar posted videos of stunt jumps and parachuting and all kinds of different stuff. Everything about this game is very cloak & dagger.....a little too cloak & dagger. That's why a lot of people are actually happy the game has leaked just so they can get a glimpse of some actual un-doctored game footage.

HuckleNDenali
  • HuckleNDenali

Village Idiot

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

No. We've got T-minus 22 days until the launch, I think the anticipation/hype will make the launch more memorable.

Swat911
  • Swat911

Peon

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:43 PM

Yes a 3 minute full gameplay video wouldn't have killed them.

wwinterj
  • wwinterj

Boss

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

Nope. I'm quite happy with the gameplay trailers that don't show much but show enough. I feel other game developers show way to much of their game before release.

itsdajmann08
  • itsdajmann08

GTAV

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:44 PM

No, I've already been spoiled enough so I'm not looking at anything else

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE (Negan @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 12:21)

icon14.gif icon14.gif I am glad that other people also realize this. I loved to see it, because it showed me more about GTAV, but labeling it "gameplay" was, as you say, only about 10% correct.

On topic: Rockstar starved us with deprivation marketing for 600+ days. We are so hungry for info, that it incentivized the hackers even more than they would normally be, to get any and all leaks out to the world as soon as possible, knowing the massive size of the potential audience and the massive pent-up demand.

Rockstar certainly did not help itself with their botched marketing in 2012. Had they just released reasonable info about the game at a reasonable rate, and given the world a reasonable sense of the game instead of making it a big f*cking federal secret, there would have been enough info fatigue and satisfied fanbase that these leaks would not have gained the intensity and notoriety that they had.

Inzane-empire321
  • Inzane-empire321

Rat

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:56 PM

Whynare you all so desperate to see HUD. Its a map, a weapon wheel, a radio wheel, an options wheel (apparently) and your money and ammo count? Im sure your imagination can compose it.

skillz7855
  • skillz7855

Soldier

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:58 PM

no I don't think so, they made people want more instead of feeding them everyday.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

QUOTE (Inzane-empire321 @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 12:56)
Whynare you all so desperate to see HUD. Its a map, a weapon wheel, a radio wheel, an options wheel (apparently) and your money and ammo count? Im sure your imagination can compose it.

If we wanted to use our imagination, we would not have needed to come here to this forum every day for the past 2 years in a desperate search for valid information. We could have sat in a dark room and imagined the HUD, and imagined the whole dame game. tounge.gif

bmc1808
  • bmc1808

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:05 PM

A 5 min video showing some free roam gameplay wouldn't have killed them.
The reason people want to see actual in game footage with a hud etc is that it helps you get a good impression of what the game really looks like in action. Its too hard to tell from all the doctored screenshots and flashy trailers that Rockstar release. I don't care much for that sort of stuff. I want actual gameplay!

skillz7855
  • skillz7855

Soldier

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (bmc1808 @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 13:05)
The reason people want to see actual in game footage with a hud etc is that it helps you get a good impression of what the game really looks like in action. Its too hard to tell from all the doctored screenshots and flashy trailers that Rockstar release. I don't care much for that sort of stuff. I want actual gameplay!

they showed that though

bmc1808
  • bmc1808

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (skillz7855 @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 13:07)

they showed that though

If your referring to the gameplay trailer then, as people have already mentioned, what we say of actual in-game footage (hud, weapon wheel etc) was about 10%. I'm saying I want a 5 min video where it's all in game, Michael for instance running around causing mayhem and getting chased by the cops. Ubisoft have done it with Watch Dogs, why not Rockstar too?

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:19 PM

Last thing Rockstar should be doing is do exactly what Ubisoft does. Ubisoft is known for spoiling way too much about their games to the point you may as well not play it yourself.

skillz7855
  • skillz7855

Soldier

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (bmc1808 @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 13:17)
QUOTE (skillz7855 @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 13:07)

they showed that though

If your referring to the gameplay trailer then, as people have already mentioned, what we say of actual in-game footage (hud, weapon wheel etc) was about 10%. I'm saying I want a 5 min video where it's all in game, Michael for instance running around causing mayhem and getting chased by the cops. Ubisoft have done it with Watch Dogs, why not Rockstar too?

cuz R* just doesn't do sh*t like Ubisoft.

Persia-Gangsta
  • Persia-Gangsta

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

Yes i want a Gameplay Video not a Gameplay Trailer it wouldn't kill R* when they show us a little Mission or something just like ubisoft icon14.gif

bmc1808
  • bmc1808

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:46 PM

QUOTE (gwaha @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 13:19)
Last thing Rockstar should be doing is do exactly what Ubisoft does. Ubisoft is known for spoiling way too much about their games to the point you may as well not play it yourself.

Fair point. I didn't mean to suggest that Rockstar follow Ubisoft exactly, however they need to find the right balance. I agree its good to hold stuff back and leave the majority of the game unknown for players to discover at their own pace but I hardly think a 5 min video showing some free roam footage is gonna give much away. Especially a game as massive as GTA V apparently is.

Blind_Kung_Fu_Master
  • Blind_Kung_Fu_Master

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:35 PM

They should, Cause thought they were going to show the ONLINE not the single player mode too.. I want to see more ONLINE then OFFLINE.

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:45 PM

It wouldn't matter what R* showed up to this point, people would still be doing the same thing. R* should've never allowed a preload so early. It's their own fault.

Exquise
  • Exquise

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:52 PM

QUOTE (gwaha @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 12:07)
Nope, they shouldn't have.

Saying that a developer didn't show enough is just a cop out. People will always find a reason as to why they want to see more. Even if people have seen everything there is to see they still demand more. It is human nature to never be satisfied with anything.

Edit:

I am of the believe that Ubisoft shows way, way too much of their games. Maybe it works for them but I think what they show kills my interest in their games. I see no reason to play a game when I can pretty much see all of it in their trailers. It is pretty much just as bad as some movie trailers out there of which you can piece together the story of the entire movie.

Ubisoft are becoming very LAME.

The assassins creed series has become more and more generic as people have become used to the idea. The storyline's dialogue is over complicated and makes my head spin, yet the story is very predictable. Plot twists which are more obvious than the sun rising in the morning, and tasks within the game.

Recycled animation, understandable for a few, but with the introduction of Ezio, new animations should have been designed. With Connor, the same.
While for the first two titles it was fun, I became bored of Ezio by the third, tired of seeing the same animations and boring story that really makes no sense.

Unfortunately I am unsatisfied because I am extremely critical of every game I play.

When it comes down to GTA 5, I'm glad they didn't show too much. This way I haven't set my expectations that high and won't start playing expecting something. By showing too much I get an impression in my head of what I expect the game to be like when I actually play it, and then I'm disappointed by what I get.

With Assassins Creed, each sequel should be an improvement on the previous especially with a linked story across each game. But all that really happened is they made slight improvements to the graphics and added a few more boring tasks. Oh maybe a new weapon or two.

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:01 PM

I don't even think we needed a gameplay trailer but it was nice to see it. Interesting move by
Rockstar too since they previously NEVER showed GTA gameplay (With the HUD etc.) before release.

I've seen enough videos and screens. Time for release. icon14.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users