BBM coming soon to Android and IOS

1 reply to this topic
T0X1C
  • T0X1C

Carry on My Wayward Son

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 24 August 2013 - 09:06 PM

Some of you may already know that BlackBerry Messenger is coming soon to both Android and IOS devices and if you didn't know well... now you do. It will be free for both.
However, from a BlackBerry point of view, I can't see how this is a good idea.

I'm not sure about the rest of the world, but just a few years ago BlackBerry phones were everywhere in South Africa. I think about 90% of people I know had one, I was part of the minority who didn't conform. Their popularity noted, the general consensus was that they were all pretty crappy phones. Of that 90% of people I know who have owned a BlackBerry, 100% have had problems with them. The main factor behind the majority of people purchasing BlackBerry phones was one thing and one thing alone: BlackBerry Messenger.

Today, the number of people who own BlackBerry phones has decreased dramatically. Two reasons for this are that new phones such as the Samsung Galaxy S4 and iPhone 5 are far superior and people realised that WhatsApp works well enough. However, there are still many who stick with BlackBerry because of its exclusive messaging service. Problem is, it's not going to be exclusive for much longer.

Surely releasing BBM to Android and IOS is a bad move, financially? Why would people still buy BlackBerry phones when their competitors can do all that they can and more now? Is BBM on Android and IOS going to become a paid service eventually? Give people a taste and then make them pay when they're hooked, sort of? I know very little about all this financial and marketing sorcery, any contributions from more knowledgeable minds?

Bad.boy!
  • Bad.boy!

SA modder

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

BlackBerry has a market share of 4.4% in the US. It is very likely that someone who owns a Blackberry has many friends with android or ios devices. If that person could only message other people who also own a Blackberry, that person is likely to ditch BBM and use another service like whatsapp. Also BBM is free (for now) and whatsapp is going to cost money in the future. Plus BBM advertises the brand Blackberry, which is another advantage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users