» «
Photo

Ozymandias

17 replies to this topic
GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:44 PM Edited by GTA-King, 24 August 2013 - 07:46 PM.

http://en.m.wikipedi..._Bysshe_Shelley

user posted image

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare

What is your guys' take on this? I find this particular poem quite interesting. Makes you think... all great Kings in history have had a downfall. It's inevitable. But why do you think that is? Why is every King doomed to have a downfall? Ego trips?

Anyway, I feel like this would be the best place to discuss this.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

I'm guessing you've just discovered this through Breaking Bad? tounge.gif

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:23 PM Edited by GTA-King, 24 August 2013 - 08:28 PM.

Ha ha, yep! I've discovered alot of things because of that dang show.

D4 Damager
  • D4 Damager

Listening to the Mandolin Rain...

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:28 PM Edited by D4 Damager, 24 August 2013 - 08:30 PM.

It does make you think about the ephemeral nature of power -- and even life in general. For me it functions as a warning against hubris, because did that king really wish to be remembered simply for his arrogance in the construction of a statue which seems to ironically mock him as he lies long dead? We are all mortal, and sometimes those in positions of power or responsibility are overtaken by greed or arrogance -- so to me this poem is very much a cautionary tale.

Maybe a more general thread for discussion and criticism of existing literary work could be created? It's something that has always interested me...

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

The vulgar, Irish, writer!

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:10 AM

Was this really necessary as a single topic? This could have been thrown into The Writer's Room.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:25 AM

Eminence hasn't locked this, so maybe it deserves some individual attention. Tell me, Ziggy Poo. What did you think of my reign of terror as King? I left quite a wake of despair in my path, am I right?

user posted image

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:28 AM Edited by Ziggy455, 25 August 2013 - 01:30 AM.

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 01:25)
Eminence hasn't locked ithis, so maybe it deserves some individual attention. Tell me, Ziggy Poo. What do you think of my reign of terror as King?

user posted image

Ever since Mockage laid it out as simply as possible, I haven't really given two f*cks about you or your posts. You haven't 'reigned' as 'king'. You just grief over the internet. Delusions of grandeur fits you well. The second anybody gives you any form of grief, you shut down and fill your posts with humility. I see how much you try, and in all honesty, I couldn't care less. You're just some lonely dude to me. If you consider that the role of a King, whatever.

Back on to this topic: It's just highlighting your constant -and ultimately repetitive- likeness of Breaking Bad. There's no need for individual attention of it. Just put it in The Writer's Room. We both know why you chose not to in the first place, but quite frankly, that's just silly and boring.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:31 AM Edited by GTA-King, 25 August 2013 - 01:37 AM.

Your false assumptions about me is what I have always liked most about you, Zig. They simply... how can I say this?

they give me a thick, meaty erection.

EDIT: Reported. icon14.gif

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:34 AM Edited by Ziggy455, 25 August 2013 - 01:40 AM.

They're not wrong. That much is clear. Considering you've replied exactly how I thought you would. I'm sorry, but I don't have the time or energy to deal with lonely, egotistical f*cktards. I'm beyond it. But you just sit there, alone, on your little laptop thingamajiggy, getting erect over the only attention you get. It paints a good picture.

EDIT: Reported.  icon14.gif

I think somebody's getting a little bored.

uNi
  • uNi

instantrum

• None

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:39 AM

Stick to the thread.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE (uNi @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 01:39)
Stick to the thread.

I thought I was? He asked for my opinion on something. I gave it to him. It's not in my control if he cannot take criticism.

Topic-wise: I think you should just put it in The Writer's Room, or not, just don't post it again, or anywhere else, ever. S'fine with me either way.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:17 AM

If you two want another round of temp bans (or more) it can be easily arranged, capiche?

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE (D4 Damager @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 20:28)
to me this poem is very much a cautionary tale.

I can see that. Maybe Ozymandias is on his death bed, and he is trying to warn future kings not to follow in his place? That's my envisioning thus far. He might have regretted his actions in the end. Got caught up in a tornado of hubris... unable to control himself. It's amazing how much one's ego can inflate if given enough nurturing.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:01 AM

QUOTE (GTA-King @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 03:32)

I can see that. Maybe Ozymandias is on his death bed, and he is trying to warn future kings not to follow in his place? That's my envisioning thus far. He might have regretted his actions in the end. Got caught up in a tornado of hubris... unable to control himself. It's amazing how much one's ego can inflate if given enough nurturing.

To be honest, I see it as the opposite. Ozymandias is not trying to warn anyone of anything nor does he indicate regret. This poem is all about the irony of Ozymandias' hubris and downfall.

When he tells those looking upon his works to despair, he is flexing his ego, boasting about his accomplishments. And there's the irony, because we're seeing not his mighty works, but lifeless ruins.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:06 AM Edited by Ziggy455, 25 August 2013 - 01:40 PM.

QUOTE (Eminence @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 03:01)

To be honest, I see it as the opposite. Ozymandias is not trying to warn anyone of anything nor does he indicate regret. This poem is all about the irony of Ozymandias' hubris and downfall.

When he tells those looking upon his works to despair, he is flexing his ego, boasting about his accomplishments. And there's the irony, because we're seeing not his mighty works, but lifeless ruins.

This feels like the smarter analysis, and fits with the fact that a king, any king, would never claim for there to be a downfall. The poem jests at the power of failing power. Even in the moments of despair, and final desolation, Ozymandias seems completely irrelevant and oblivious to his downfall, and continues to find some sort of positive side, as if the fall is part of his own plan, when in fact, we all know that the King has slipped.

The poem is a metaphor of many kings of time: all have fallen from their own misconceptions, mis-judgements, and mighty egos.

Breaking Bad-wise, yeah, it's clear why it has been used. It foreshadows the inevitable end of Walt, both perhaps physically and morally.

wake of despair in my path

Lol.

D4 Damager
  • D4 Damager

Listening to the Mandolin Rain...

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:00 AM

He may have regretted his actions in the end, but as I said in my earlier post which was caught up in all of the drama and general bollocks, and as Phil said in his post, the irony is in his message, and how it relates to the desolate scene around it.

Lethal Nizzle
  • Lethal Nizzle

Optima dies, prima fugit

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

I love this poem, definitely my favourite of Shelley's so I was quite excited to see it used in the build-up for the final season of Breaking Bad. The final four lines always stand out to me whenever I revisit the poem. For the majority of the poem we are painted a devastating picture of Ozymandias, and by the time the narrator reads the inscription on the pedestal we are either in awe of him, afraid of him, or both.

It is only in the final two lines that Ozymandias' arrogance is exposed; "Look on my works, ye Mighty and despair!" shows Ozymandias openly goading to the seemingly "Mighty" rulers of neighbouring kingdoms to view his omnipotence. He is also addressing God, openly elevating himself as being even akin to a god, a comparison that was made by pharaohs. While he may have achieved greatness in his time, this "greatness" is merely transient. All powerful men, be it kings, pharaohs or otherwise, are all doomed to decay and eventually die.

The only omnipotent force in the world is nature, the very thing that has swallowed Ozymandias and his kingdom whole in the form of the "boundless and bare" sand.

Zugzwang
  • Zugzwang

Snitch

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:14 AM

I've known of this poem since I was very young. My dad's email address used to be 'ozymandias[some numbers]' and so when I asked why that was he explained it to me.

For me this poem is one I choose not to think about too much. It's one of those things where I feel 'ignorance is bliss'. I, like many other people I suspect, like to believe that my actions have some importance or significance and I don't like to think about how they'll be lost to time centuries from now- though they will be. A more compelling reason to avoid hubris, for me, is to look at the more immediate consequences, not to look at how nothing I do will matter in a thousand years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users