Quantcast

» «
Photo

8-year shot his 87-year old caretaker...

84 replies to this topic
LibSity
  • LibSity

Genetically Superior

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:39 PM

Let's not act like violent video games aren't a factor though just because we enjoy playing them.

exmpletree
  • exmpletree

Mr. Gold Card

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:44 PM Edited by exmpletree, 24 August 2013 - 03:48 PM.

Its the caretakers fault, the stupid kid shouldnt be playing gta in the first place!!!
Why do you think these ratings like PEGI exist?? To f*cking obey! Jesus christ.

Second, why the f*ck does an eight year old have acces to guns? Oh yeah thats right, because his retarded caretaker didnt put them away well enough...

Last, the kid had to have some kind of mental disorder to be able to f*cking shoot his caretaker in the head

TrialzGTAS
  • TrialzGTAS

Hopes for turnout gear in V!

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 03:56 PM

Why is a caretaker 87, the caretaker needs a caretaker

FirstLadyofGTA
  • FirstLadyofGTA

Killer in Heels

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

QUOTE (nuer @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 15:10)
QUOTE (FR_Player-One @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 15:08)
The problem isn't GTA. The problem is USA.

This. How come I never hear about these news happening elsewhere?

It does happen outside the USA...when GTA IV came out a man who was waiting to by the game from a shop in Croydon London stabbed another man who was passing by the queue. Some people were also violently attacked after purchasing the game from people looking to rob them of it. There have also been murders where people tried to attribute it to GTA.

FirstLadyofGTA
  • FirstLadyofGTA

Killer in Heels

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (LibSity @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 15:10)

lol you dumbsh*t violent videogames don't exactly help.

GTA fans won't admit it, but it isn't a good game for society to play. It's addicting though.

Yup Yup, you hit me where it hurts blush.gif ....but seriously I agree. They are not solely to blame but they are not completely innocent either.

D4 Damager
  • D4 Damager

Listening to the Mandolin Rain...

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (FirstLadyofGTA @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 17:16)
QUOTE (nuer @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 15:10)

This. How come I never hear about these news happening elsewhere?

It does happen outside the USA...when GTA IV came out a man who was waiting to by the game from a shop in Croydon London stabbed another man who was passing by the queue. Some people were also violently attacked after purchasing the game from people looking to rob them of it. There have also been murders where people tried to attribute it to GTA.

I think the point of the original post in the quote chain was that America's gun culture is to blame for this crime, and not the videogame industry.

The examples that you cite can't really be attributed to the game at all and perhaps more pertinently none of the incidents in the UK actually involved guns, which is at the heart of the argument of the first person in the quote chain.

suicidehummer
  • suicidehummer

This post will self destruct in 3... 2... 1...

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (Feurian42 @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 15:29)
saying the problem is the USA is as short sighted as the article blaming GTA. Everyone I know that has ever played GTA had guns in the house. Not one of them ever shot someone. Its an individual case that had many factors leading up to an unfortunate death. For that matter we don't even know the whole truth of what happened. Anyway just a flat out ignorant statement.

Why don't people understand that a country as large as the US has a much greater chance of these occurrences simply because of the size of the population. And the whole world is all too ready to report about the crazy crap that goes on in the US.

No, it's not. I don't have guns in my house (nor do I want to shoot anyone) and I f*cking love GTA.

The real cause is the culture of violence in this country and the lack of regulation of guns. We don't even try to keep the mentally unstable from getting guns. Thank the NRA for that.

It's stupid just to assume that any average joe is responsible enough to own a gun. Most people aren't even responsible enough to drive a car safely. The only gun owner I know keeps his unlocked and his kid knows where it is.

And size has nothing to do with it; we have one of the highest gun violence rates per capita.

Spider-Vice
  • Spider-Vice

I know you've been complaining, but you weren't ready.

• Zaibatsu
  • Portugal
  • Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 24 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

People who do these things "after playing GTA" or "(insert violent game here)" definitely have problems. First, the kid had to get hold of the gun somehow (Tips for uncaring or violent parents), second: psychological problems, not being able to distinguish fiction from reality and that any fictional scenes shall not be simulated. Damn, the kid was 8 years old, not 4, I started playing GTA very young and I never felt the need to shoot anyone.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • United-States
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (oRRe13 @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 15:06)
Anyone else feel sick about GTA always being the scape goat when something happens?

News: last night about manufacturers selling guns by advertising their wares in video games. By buying "Name Placement" in the new violent video games the person says Children are being desensitized to killing and directed to brands of machine guns that they will want to purchase. Something like advertising cigarettes.

Not a word in the report about CHILDREN playing "M" rated games.
Or that machine guns aren't available.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

Is there a reliable news source that has the story the OP mentions?
This kinda of sounds made up.

MinnieMan121249
  • MinnieMan121249

Carbon based Buffoon!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE (LibSity @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 10:10)
GTA fans won't admit it, but it isn't a good game for society to play. It's addicting though.

It's a VERY good game for society to play. Proper parenting is also a very good game for society to play.

When you play GTA, you can lose, and it's alright.
When you're a parent and you need to know what your kid is doing, and make sure you take care of him properly, you should try and win all the time.

But sure... blame GTA.. cuz u know.. it's easier.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (trip @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 17:42)

Try: http://usnews.nbcnew...-louisiana?lite

Burbalade
  • Burbalade

Ebay Wizard

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

The problem is not video games. The problem is not the USA.

The problem is leaving an 87 year old to take care of 8 year old, and leaving a loaded gun where the 8 year old can get to it.

trip
  • trip

~

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 13:49)
QUOTE (trip @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 17:42)

Try: http://usnews.nbcnew...-louisiana?lite

Ahhh. Thanks.

Outrageous. What can you say?

I bet she was just a cranky old lady that wanted out of life. She hated being the care giver of that little bastard so she set the whole thing up. That way the insurance company won't claim suicide and hold back any money her next of kin should/will receive.

Emhyr
  • Emhyr

Dragon Age

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:15 PM

He should be taken from his parents, parents should be punished for allowing 8 YEAR-OLD to play 18+ game, they should also be punished by huge fines for having weapon so close to a child.... and GTA franchise should continue to be best game evaaahhh. The end.

Eagles
  • Eagles

Here we go, kids

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:38 PM

A couple weeks ago, here in Brazil, a 13 years old boy shot his police officer parents, his grandmother and his great-aunt in the head before going to school.

After some researches (nothing very deep) they found that he was using an Assassin's Creed 2 (Ezio) image as his photo on Facebook. Everyone started to blame the game for the murder even without knowing anything about the crime.
They also tried to connect the murder with the Amityville murders in 1974.

The crime itself doesn't make any sense. How did he shot four bullets exactly in their heads without missing any shot with a heavy .40? The case is still unsolved (like the majority of the crimes here in this country), but there was even a TV show that spent their whole time trying to blame the game for the murder.

I'm not saying that games or movies don't have any connection to these events, but it seems like when the killer played a violent game or watched a violent movie, it will always be the excuse for anything that happened. It's all about parenting. If you educate your child properly, knowing what he does, who are his friends, what he watches, plays, you'll never create a violent person. Of course it's wrong to let kids play violent games or watch violent movies, but the parents need to know when it's the best time to let their children play with and watch violence.

http://www.dailymail...ng-himself.html

Apex Predator
  • Apex Predator

Go big or go home

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:16 PM

The problem isn't GTA, the problem is bad parenting, letting a child who isn't mature enough to understand the difference between real life and a virtual world play a videogame like this.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:18 PM

It's all the fault of Video Games, you all should know that.
The kids should be out in the fresh air playing decent old fashion games like, "Cowboys & Indians", or "Cops & Robbers", even "Congo Bob & the Aborigines".

Stinky12
  • Stinky12

No title

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 07:56 PM

Here another source on it

TECHN9CiAN
  • TECHN9CiAN

With the fumes of a tomb, I consume all the light in the day.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:02 PM

user posted image

The kid alreay had to have issues steming from other poor influences or bad brain wiring. Gta is not to blame here for his stupidity.

TonyResta
  • TonyResta

Tony Resta

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (poklane @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 16:14)
1). A 8 year old shouldn't have GTA IV.
2). A 8 year old shouldn't have access to a gun or even know there's a gun around him.
3). sh*t parenting, I hope his parents get some punishment.

All that needs to be said quite frankly.

I<3GTAV
  • I<3GTAV

I LOVE GARY PAYTON NO ONE UNDERSTANDS

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:13 PM

I played GTA all the f*cking time when I was younger. When I was 8, I was one of the best students in school. I never got yelled at, I got As and Bs, and teachers saw me as a role model to other kids. The problem isn't GTA at all, it's somewhat USA's gun laws and mostly bad parenting. There should be stricter regulation on guns, I don't think they should all be banned, but there should be limits; mentally unstable person in the family, background checks, etc. And the parents should teach this kid to NOT MURDER SOMEONE and to differentiate the virtual world vs the real world.

SilverRST
  • SilverRST

Gangsta

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:22 PM

Lol, that kid shot his caretake right in the head?? That kid has a talent to shoot a bullet in the head in one strike!
He can be a talented sniper.

But to the topic, that kid is just fked up in the head but his 87 years old caretake is much more fked up the kid
and he was the guy must get blamed for not hiding the gun very good.
If he would have hide it very good, he was still alive. But no, just drop the gun somewhere and
let the kid find it and shot the old man.
Why do people blame it on the vdie games?? For fk sake, what has games to do??
The people are the first place to blame if they place their guns anywhere else where the kids can find it!
It's their own fault.

Finite
  • Finite

Solitude

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:30 AM

Yes, blame the videogame, that's the smart thing to do. Y'know what would've been a stupid thing to do? Question how, why and where this eight-year-old child got access to a gun, because y'know, videogames are clearly more of a threat to our safety and well-being then easily accessible firearms.

I've checked out a few news reports surrounding the killing itself and the following seems to be the description that's being given out by most sites:

East Feliciana Parish sheriff's deputies said the juvenile was playing the video game Grand Theft Auto IV a realistic game that's been associated with encouraging violence and awards points to players for killing people just minutes before the fatal shooting.

I'm sorry but just how out of touch are the news reporters and journalists of the United States with videogames? I can't remember a time when a Grand Theft Auto game awarded me "points for killing an NPC. Even more so, do the people that have willing written this down realise how contradictory their statements are, because I'm pretty sure that it's either that or they don't understand the definition of "realism". In reality, if I shot a person I wouldn't be gifted any points for doing so, hell I'd more than likely be shaking due to the fact that I'd have taken the life of another human being. Something like that would take its tole on my psyche and I'm almost certain that the majority of people here would agree with me. You don't kill for fun, and you certainly aren't awarded any "points" for doing so.

If the game is realistic then it wouldn't award you points for killing people and although we've already established that Grand Theft Auto IV didn't award the payer anything for killing the NPC's of the world it still proves a rather shocking point. That point being that little to no effort was put into writing any of these articles, explaining in detail what had happened and how the situation may have transpired, instead the journalists and reporters decide to demonise a five-year-old videogame.

Well done America, your media never ceases to amaze me.

SickBoi
  • SickBoi

Formerly, KFranchise. I wanna change my name back to it tho...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:59 PM

If violent video games causes murder or any type of violence, what about sports games? I've played NBA 2K, NBA Live, Madden, and BackBreaker, and I'm not some high school kid who averages 20.5 PPG and 7.3 INT a game.
Video games will forever be a scapegoat.

MadClownBadDub
  • MadClownBadDub

Gampo

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:40 PM

True story bro. Violent video games kill. icon14.gif suicidal.gif

kk.
  • kk.

So long, and thanks for all the fish

• Members
  • Lithuania

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:06 PM

I think caretaker is guilty somewhat too. Why did she watched TV, when she had to take care of that sick kid?

Karato2300
  • Karato2300

Silver man

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:49 PM

Yes, America has some bad, conflicting rules. But it's not because of that.

Yes, violent media CAN affect a person, especially a young one on a deep mental and emotional level. But it's not that, entirely.

It's whoever owned the gun (probably the grandma), and the pants on head retarded parents for leaving her to look after a kid who clearly is too compulsive, and the fact they allowed him to play something without properly teaching him the damned f*cking differences reality and fiction.

Also, GTA hasn't had "points" since what, the f*cking top-down games?

The__Phoenix
  • The__Phoenix

aka bud23

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:54 PM

Grandma probably asked if he wanted to go bowling.

Alick
  • Alick

L)VE

• Members

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

I hate all this blaming of video games/violent films etc. for bad parenting. I grew up playing violent games and watching violent films and TV shows. Hell I got GTA3 when I was ten years old, before that I'd played every violent game on PS1 you could think of and I grew up watching Hellraiser, Bottom, Halloween, Lethal Weapon, Mad Max etc. and I've never even been in a fight, I hate violence. Why must they use it as a scapegoat?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users