» «
Photo

An honest discussion

70 replies to this topic
Wolfe19
  • Wolfe19

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:44 AM Edited by Wolfe19, 25 August 2013 - 12:48 AM.

QUOTE (R3AL1Z3 @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 06:31)
Seeing as this is a mature rated title, I thought I would bounce a few things off you guys/girls and get your input on video-game violence and its place in the news.

First things first...

Very well written!

I believe the kid was troubled in some way, I mean, his grandma was his caregiver. Which could mean his parents are dead/in jail/messed up with drugs which is very hard on someone his age.

But to blame on the videogame is absurd. In my opinion of course.

Edit: shortened quote...

R3AL1Z3
  • R3AL1Z3

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:50 AM

@FirstLadyofGTA

The ratings system is needed for parents or buyers either out of the know, and basically gives a general idea of what the game entails.

Oppressor
  • Oppressor

• BUSTED!

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:39 AM

QUOTE (R3AL1Z3 @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 00:50)
@FirstLadyofGTA

The ratings system is needed for parents or buyers either out of the know, and basically gives a general idea of what the game entails.

True that, and I'll include... That's the reason TV shows have a little rating icon pop up. Its for parents to set the parental control on their TV's so their children can't just watch whatever they want. Same goes for video games.

R3AL1Z3
  • R3AL1Z3

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:58 AM

QUOTE (Oppressor @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 02:39)
QUOTE (R3AL1Z3 @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 00:50)
@FirstLadyofGTA

True that, and I'll include... That's the reason TV shows have a little rating icon pop up. Its for parents to set the parental control on their TV's so their children can't just watch whatever they want. Same goes for video games.

This.

Also, the amount of times I've had to correct people and tell them I'm absolutely NOT blaming GTA for this kind of violence is baffling. Its like they just read the topic and saw the bold text and wasted a paragraph arguing the same point I was. Almost all of them being members who joined this year.

Off-Topic: I feel a majority of the 2013 members are rude and quick to judge, mostly in a deprecating way.

R3AL1Z3
  • R3AL1Z3

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:00 AM

QUOTE (Wolfe19 @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 00:44)
QUOTE (R3AL1Z3 @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 06:31)
Seeing as this is a mature rated title, I thought I would bounce a few things off you guys/girls and get your input on video-game violence and its place in the news.

First things first...

Very well written!

I believe the kid was troubled in some way, I mean, his grandma was his caregiver. Which could mean his parents are dead/in jail/messed up with drugs which is very hard on someone his age.

But to blame on the videogame is absurd. In my opinion of course.

Edit: shortened quote...

Thanks man. It was mostly just freestyle thought. I figured the board is mostly speculation and 'what would you do if/when' kind of threads.

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Ah yes 'Heists' we have dismissed these claims

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:07 AM

Like others have said, the Media really needs to get their research straight, TC points this out rather well with the killing people to get points bit, which dosen't happen randomly in GTA, not since GTA2 which is pretty Irrelevant at this point in terms of the argument.

Granted there were the Rampage missions in the III era games that seem to be making a comeback in V but those are optional side activities.

To me though, again like allot of other people have said in this topics, and others about this same news story, the big question is, why did the eight year old have ready access to a Gun? Now I've been raised around firearms my whole life, and have been from a young age taught to respect them, none the less at that age I would never, by any means have access to any of them without adult supervision and at that age it was either the BB gun or the .22 while target shooting most of the time, besides that never, untill I was older would I have access to a working, let along loaded firearm.

I do think that it's odd that an eight year old would also have access to GTA, granted I wasn't much older when I first played a GTA game (10, regularly started at 12 though) but my parents knew that I could handle it, I had allways been a rather well adjusted child (as well as anyone else I could imagine) and realized that games, like movies, books, etc. was just all fake, entertainment, not something you attempt to streive to emulate in real life.

That said, good topic TC.

jums300
  • jums300

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:30 AM

I was playing GTA IV a few weeks ago when a thought popped into my head. Does killing people in video games make me a bad person? I was really pondering over this thought when an even more challenging one entered. What stops me from committing acts of violence in real life? I remembered something I learned in school. The John Locke and Thomas Hobbes debate. Locke thought that humans were all naturally good. Hobbes thought otherwise. Humans are all born evil, he stated. To keep them behaving right, one must be placed into a society with law and order. Government is one thing, but family makes all the difference. Family teaches morals. Whether they're supposedly right or wrong, you're gonna pick up on them, inherit them. So, I came to the conclusion that we're all in control of what we choose to do in our lives. If you're really thinking of murdering someone for no apparent reason, take a step back and stop. You know what you've been taught by your family/school. It's not right. Now, if one has mental problems that initiate violence then you'd definitely want to keep them away from violent video games. I don't know whether this kid that shot his care taker has mental problems, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't. One word: Morals. bored.gif

Racecarlock
  • Racecarlock

The floor here will kill you, try to avoid it.

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:54 AM

QUOTE (jums300 @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 20:30)
Does killing people in video games make me a bad person?

No. It doesn't. It really doesn't. I can barely deal with the death of a family pet in real life. I actually had to go to the shelter to adopt another one because I couldn't take the emptiness.

Yet I could fill hundreds of graveyards with the NPCS I have killed in video games. They're not real. You're not evil. And the people who spare pedestrians are not better than you. If you were a real life serial killer and the people who shame pedestrian murderers on here worked at a soup kitchen, that would be a different story. As it stands, killing pixels does not make you immoral.

lazloisdavrock
  • lazloisdavrock

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (jums300 @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 23:30)
I was playing GTA IV a few weeks ago when a thought popped into my head. Does killing people in video games make me a bad person? I was really pondering over this thought when an even more challenging one entered. What stops me from committing acts of violence in real life? I remembered something I learned in school. The John Locke and Thomas Hobbes debate. Locke thought that humans were all naturally good. Hobbes thought otherwise. Humans are all born evil, he stated. To keep them behaving right, one must be placed into a society with law and order. Government is one thing, but family makes all the difference. Family teaches morals. Whether they're supposedly right or wrong, you're gonna pick up on them, inherit them. So, I came to the conclusion that we're all in control of what we choose to do in our lives. If you're really thinking of murdering someone for no apparent reason, take a step back and stop. You know what you've been taught by your family/school. It's not right. Now, if one has mental problems that initiate violence then you'd definitely want to keep them away from violent video games. I don't know whether this kid that shot his care taker has mental problems, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't. One word: Morals. bored.gif

nice avy

R3AL1Z3
  • R3AL1Z3

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE (Racecarlock @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 03:54)
QUOTE (jums300 @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 20:30)
Does killing people in video games make me a bad person?

No. It doesn't. It really doesn't. I can barely deal with the death of a family pet in real life. I actually had to go to the shelter to adopt another one because I couldn't take the emptiness.

Yet I could fill hundreds of graveyards with the NPCS I have killed in video games. They're not real. You're not evil. And the people who spare pedestrians are not better than you. If you were a real life serial killer and the people who shame pedestrian murderers on here worked at a soup kitchen, that would be a different story. As it stands, killing pixels does not make you immoral.

That's what ill never understand. You have some people who throw the biggest fit over polygonal characters when they should focus that energy on real world problems.

jums300
  • jums300

Snitch

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

QUOTE (lazloisdavrock @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 04:01)
QUOTE (jums300 @ Saturday, Aug 24 2013, 23:30)
I was playing GTA IV a few weeks ago when a thought popped into my head.  Does killing people in video games make me a bad person?  I was really pondering over this thought when an even more challenging one entered.  What stops me from committing acts of violence in real life?  I remembered something I learned in school.  The John Locke and Thomas Hobbes debate.  Locke thought that humans were all naturally good.  Hobbes thought otherwise. Humans are all born evil, he stated.  To keep them behaving right, one must be placed into a society with law and order.  Government is one thing, but family makes all the difference.  Family teaches morals.  Whether they're supposedly right or wrong, you're gonna pick up on them, inherit them.  So, I came to the conclusion that we're all in control of what we choose to do in our lives.  If you're really thinking of murdering someone for no apparent reason, take a step back and stop.  You know what you've been taught by your family/school.  It's not right.  Now, if one has mental problems that initiate violence then you'd definitely want to keep them away from violent video games.  I don't know whether this kid that shot his care taker has mental problems, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't.  One word: Morals.  bored.gif

nice avy

Yeah. There seems to be a good number of O's fans on this forum. They gotta win tonight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users