Research on the moral landscape of GTAIV

6 replies to this topic
MHighbrow
  • MHighbrow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 23 August 2013 - 12:00 PM

Hello GTAForums!

Would you like to take part in a questionnaire about Grand Theft Auto IV and help out a postgraduate dissertation?

My name is Alex Harby, and Iím currently doing a course in Landscape and Cultue at the University of Nottingham, UK. For my dissertation, Iím looking at the moral landscape of GTAIV: the political and social views that are written into Liberty Cityís architecture and billboards, how the game encourages or discourages violence, and so on. The working title right now is "Liberty in Liberty City: Morality and the Landscape in Grand Theft Auto IV."

As part of this research, Iíve written a very quick questionnaire about the politics of GTAIV and what activities you like to do in the game (or liked to do, if you donít play it much anymore.) I hoped that this might be something you at GTAForums would be interested in taking part in! The questionnaire is only a few pages long, and will only take five minutes to complete if you want to. All the information you provide will only be used to help my dissertation research, and wonít be used anywhere else Ė Iím not trying to advertise anything or do market research or anything.

Would this be something youíd like to take part in? If so, please click the link below (please note you must be 18 or over to take part due to university regulations):
http://kwiksurveys.c...ld2hjb89m166149

Iím afraid I canít offer any money or prize draw, but it really is a very quick questionnaire, and youíd be doing me a big favour! If youíre not interested, then thank you for your time anyway.

Apologies if this post is missing any information you would like Ė Iíve had to rewrite this quickly because my laptop broke this morning with fantastic timing. Please ask in the thread if thereís anything youíd like clarified, or if thereís any problems with the questionnaire, and Iíll try to answer whenever I can.

Thanks for your interest!

Best wishes,
Alex Harby
[email protected]

(P.S. Iíve cleared posting this topic with Seddo beforehand, so at least one moderator knows Iím doing this.)

Tony Vitali
  • Tony Vitali

The Zombie Elvis Hunter

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 04:11 AM

One of my favourite things to do is robbing armored trucks in the game. There wasn't that option in the survey. Also political aspect showed clearly illuminati (U.L. Paper).

TonyMontanaCDL
  • TonyMontanaCDL

Snitch

• Members

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

You know that no one plays Grand Theft Auto for high morals right?

chapapote
  • chapapote

Homie

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

QUOTE (Tony Vitali @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 04:11)
One of my favourite things to do is robbing armored trucks in the game. There wasn't that option in the survey. Also political aspect showed clearly illuminati (U.L. Paper).

Seriously, man. Illuminati? dozingoff.gif

MHighbrow
  • MHighbrow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 09:33 PM

Thank you for all the responses so far! I have a new laptop now, so hopefully I'll be able to keep tabs on this topic a bit better.

QUOTE (TonyMontanaCDL @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 22:57)
You know that no one plays Grand Theft Auto for high morals right?

Yeah, I know there aren't many people who pick up a GTA game just to see what Rockstar thinks of American society. That's why I think it's interesting that Rockstar even bothers with the satire, especially since, as the Saints Row series shows, you can make a pretty successful sandbox game with no moral challenges posed whatsoever.

On an academic note, looking at the morals of GTAIV is also, I hope, a nice counterpoint to the human geography literature on games, a lot of which seems to be concerned with how war games show off American politics and violence completely uncritically - GTAIV is a game which is also pretty violent, but a bit more thoughtful about it.

QUOTE (Tony Vitali @ Thursday, Aug 29 2013, 04:11)
One of my favourite things to do is robbing armored trucks in the game. There wasn't that option in the survey.

I forgot you could rob armoured trucks! Tomorrow's job is going to be trying to add that in without breaking the survey.

Darth_Starkiller
  • Darth_Starkiller

Soldier

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:16 PM

While no one buys the game exclusively for it, doesn't mean we don't appreciate it.

MHighbrow
  • MHighbrow

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:33 PM Edited by MHighbrow, 13 September 2013 - 11:11 PM.

Just popping in to say thanks again for the responses! I'm very close to finishing my write-up of the dissertation, so I'll take the results from the survey at about this time tomorrow.

Tony Vitali - I tried to add the armoured trucks option, but KwikSurveys won't let you add answers to a survey in progress without deleting all the responses you have so far, so I had to leave it out. Sorry!

EDIT 14th Sept: I'm going to collect the results now. You can still do the questionnaire if you like, but your responses may not be used. Thank you all once more for your help!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users