» «
Photo

Can't get Collision to work on new map models

8 replies to this topic
stevendabuffman
  • stevendabuffman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:31 PM Edited by stevendabuffman, 23 August 2013 - 11:52 AM.

Hello,

Recently I've started a Total Conversion for GTA San Andreas, turning the whole world into an apocalypse setting, a lot of people start TC and don't complete them so I'm going to start a WIP topic when I have a playable version but for now, i'm trying to get stuff working.

I've made an Alien Citadel, three times the size of the US Bank Tower, I got the Model and Textures in game and it looks great, but I'm having trouble with the Collision, if I add Citadel.dff, Citadel.TXD and Citadel.col, the game crashes, but even then the collision doesn't show in MEd v0.32,

so I thought I could replace LAskyscrap1_LAn, the building beside the Bank Tower, got the model and texture working but the Collision still doesn't work even after I deleted the LAskyscrap1_LAn.col from lan2_2.col and replaced it with the .col i made for the citadel (which is named the same), I'll post some pics, some people might recognize what I'm doing wink.gif

If I use Kams scripts and make a col, it looks all squished and folded up into a square so i used a different version of the scripts which creates a boundary ? what am I doing wrong ?

Please help me !

user posted image

See, I have the model in place but when I render just the Collision, there is no collision for it.

user posted image

And if I add a new object it shows the collision until I place it and press ok, then it disappears.

user posted image

This is the collision in steve_ms collision editor

user posted image

And this is the collision in 3ds max just before exporting as .col

user posted image

Thanks in advance !

stevendabuffman
  • stevendabuffman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:46 PM

Bump, please help me, I need this done by wednesday !!!

ZAZ
  • ZAZ

Kernlochbohrer

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 25 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

1. export model as *.3ds and add it with coleditor
2. maybe the colmodel is too big

1. using kams script for colexport needs to insert modelname here and there, i can't remember
it's easier to export the model with 3dmax exportfunction as 3ds
coleditor can import 3ds and it works fine

2.coleditor gives a message when saving that the model is too big and change it into colversion I , if you click ok
but colversion I don't work in SA, so in this case do you need to split your model in 2 modelfiles
if you can save it and it's still colversion III then you got it

stevendabuffman
  • stevendabuffman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:32 PM

There !, thank you very much !!!, it was a size problem biggrin.gif I'm very grateful

ZAZ
  • ZAZ

Kernlochbohrer

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

QUOTE (stevendabuffman @ Monday, Aug 26 2013, 20:32)
There !, thank you very much !!!, it was a size problem biggrin.gif I'm very grateful

and? did you placed then the tower? show screenshot

stevendabuffman
  • stevendabuffman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 01 September 2013 - 09:32 PM

Sorry for the late response, I've since redone the Tower and got the internal rooms working, I can't post screenshots yet, but I will do later on a separate forum when I start releasing it !

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

Retro Modder

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:18 PM

Cols can be no bigger then 128Kbs or 1990 faces.

Models can be upto 1.9Mbs with 120.000 faces.

1. Export the normal model first.

2. Reduce object faces that you do not need like places your player would never reach like high detail and inside the model.

You only need the outer edges of the model to be saved as a col file, you can even make boxes to save on faces with Steve's Col Editor 2.

3. Export the new col as 3ds and add this to Steves ColEd2 with the currect file name as your normal model.

This should solve alot of other issues your run into if you create high poly buildings.

:)

• Frank.s and lafincow12 like this

stevendabuffman
  • stevendabuffman

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:45 PM

Okay, I've been making low poly Collisions and not had any problems, only problems with textures, but I can fix it :D

The top of the building will go past the height limit, but the bottom half is enterable, it's all done.

I have completed the map now I'm just putting around props, I have been replacing objects from Las Venturas as my Props because I don't know how to add objects... So Las Venturas is all glitchy and messed up but the bridges are all broken so you couldn't get there anyways, I just need to figure out how to stop planes and helicopters from spawning around the map...

Is there anyway to add Objects without getting crashes or collision problems ?

X-Seti
  • X-Seti

Retro Modder

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:40 AM Edited by X-Seti, 05 February 2014 - 10:03 AM.

You need to make the model first then save it (each time for each model), then reload the model again I know this is a pain but 3dsmax doesn't store the model coords (axis / pivot) perfectly leaving you with the offset col issue. (game crash etc)

Once you have loaded the model back in with Kam dff-io export the col using kam's col-io or export 3ds and place this into Steve M's COL Editor 2. right click the option optimize the col before you save.

This time the model and collision pivot should be aligned perfectly.

I gathered you got the first model to work well done. need anything else post it here and either I or someone else will able to help.

Remember very high detailed models you only need the outside faces for the collision as low as you can make it. because there is a col file size limit 128kbytes / 1800 faces unless these are painted with surface types which would up the file size. VC and SA have these RW limits that one has managed to raise.

You could always split the model in half and add the 2 objects with the 2 cols as well.

Edit; Those textures;

Good texture positioning you need to get used to Map UV. you can use the x,y z texture and scale boxes to get each texture area perfect, apply those changes to the model before you move onto the other faces.

:)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users