Photo

Modest Mouse

19 replies to this topic
Nameless Foot Soldier
  • Nameless Foot Soldier

Libertonian

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:03 AM

I was curious and was wondering if there were any other forum goers that have indulged in their music. I find my great attraction to Modest Mouse is its nihilistic stand point on many of life's mishaps. All while flavoring in an indie and alternative style to their music. I often find myself listening to their albums all day and feel there is deep connections within their lyrics. Nothing really feels quite as good as having a smoke while listening to them while I ponder about things, epically Bankrupt on Selling, that is my favorite smoking song. If you're a fan of them, please express what you like about them and your favorite tracks/albums by them. I also hear they have a new album coming up soon.

cbiscuit93
  • cbiscuit93

Pink Bandana

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

I never went too deep with them but Float On & Ocean Breathes Salty are really good songs.

Nameless Foot Soldier
  • Nameless Foot Soldier

Libertonian

• Members

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (cbiscuit93 @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 20:45)
I never went too deep with them but Float On & Ocean Breathes Salty are really good songs.

Float on was about moving through problems in life and giving yourself a false idea of peace while in reality you'll still f*cked in the end, sheep to the slaughter. Ocean breathes salty was about the after life and doubts about any form of an afterlife. Both good songs but not my most favorite.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:30 AM

I've only heard 'Float On'. It's pretty good!

Bigs
  • Bigs

OG

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:15 PM

Modest Mouse was one of the first bands I really got into as a kid, and they remain one of my favorite bands to this day. Although their sound did change over the years (they became more polished, added more members, etc.), their songwriting style remained fairly undeterred. I agree with what you say about their artful apathy, Isaac Brock has a real knack for connecting with a certain demographic.

Lonesome Crowded West will probably always be my favorite album, with Long Drive being a close second, though nearly all of their material (which is quite a bit) is first class.

If you're a fan and haven't already done so, I'd suggest checking out Ugly Casanova's album Sharpen Your Teeth. It's a quality MM side-project, good for fans that just can't get enough!

Nameless Foot Soldier
  • Nameless Foot Soldier

Libertonian

• Members

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (Bigs @ Sunday, Aug 25 2013, 17:15)
Modest Mouse was one of the first bands I really got into as a kid, and they remain one of my favorite bands to this day. Although their sound did change over the years (they became more polished, added more members, etc.), their songwriting style remained fairly undeterred. I agree with what you say about their artful apathy, Isaac Brock has a real knack for connecting with a certain demographic.

Lonesome Crowded West will probably always be my favorite album, with Long Drive being a close second, though nearly all of their material (which is quite a bit) is first class.

If you're a fan and haven't already done so, I'd suggest checking out Ugly Casanova's album Sharpen Your Teeth. It's a quality MM side-project, good for fans that just can't get enough!

Yeah, their sound did change between albums but their message still stays the same. I have seen fans actually stop likening Modest Mouse because of the change and I wonder, if you were just enjoying their sound and not their lyrics, then you really don't know Modest Mouse. I will also note on how I agree that Isaac does have a way of developing a connection between his songs and his fans. I can find a lot of songs that sound damn near ripped from my heart, too many are relatable.

Upon agreeance with you, The Lonesome Crowded West is also my favorite from them, and for me my second favorite album by them is We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank.

I have heard of Ugly Casanova but I didn't quite know what it was. I'll take a look.

Cubanwhip
  • Cubanwhip

We're always holding the door open for someone.

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:58 AM Edited by Cubanwhip, 27 August 2013 - 03:56 AM.

Modest Mouse is definitely my favorite band. Been like that for a while. I have all their singles on vinyl, along with some of their EPs and albums. Really, I'm missing Lonesome Crowded, Good News, and We Were Dead on vinyl, other than that, I have everything, especially all of their CDs including Interstate 8 and the Japanese tour promo Night on the Sun. I've definitely spent my fair share of money on their physical stuff, on top of downloading tons of their live concerts.

Ugly Casanova is wonderful and is a side project of Ike's. It sprouted up when they signed to Epic and were writing Moon & Antarctica, Epic allowed Ike to produce and release a side project, which turned out to be Sharpen Your Teeth. Still classic Modest Mouse, but with a more folky tinge to it. Check out Cat Faces, Hotcha Girls, and Things I Don't Remember from that album.

But I'm eagerly awaiting their new album. They cancelled their recent 20 show European tour to work on the new album, and after hearing some of the new stuff live, it looks promising. So I'm super excited!

EDIT: Also, if you go to my member photo, it's a picture of me playing a show with a "The World is my Ashtray" t-shirt, for people who will get the reference. ;D

EDIT 2: Here's a picture of my physical library.
user posted image

Nameless Foot Soldier
  • Nameless Foot Soldier

Libertonian

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:11 AM

QUOTE (Cubanwhip @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 00:58)
Modest Mouse is definitely my favorite band. Been like that for a while. I have all their singles on vinyl, along with some of their EPs and albums. Really, I'm missing Lonesome Crowded, Good News, and We Were Dead on vinyl, other than that, I have everything, especially all of their CDs including Interstate 8 and the Japanese tour promo Night on the Sun. I've definitely spent my fair share of money on their physical stuff, on top of downloading tons of their live concerts.

Ugly Casanova is wonderful and is a side project of Ike's. It sprouted up when they signed to Epic and were writing Moon & Antarctica, Epic allowed Ike to produce and release a side project, which turned out to be Sharpen Your Teeth. Still classic Modest Mouse, but with a more folky tinge to it. Check out Cat Faces, Hotcha Girls, and Things I Don't Remember from that album.

But I'm eagerly awaiting their new album. They cancelled their recent 20 show European tour to work on the new album, and after hearing some of the new stuff live, it looks promising. So I'm super excited!

EDIT: Also, if you go to my member photo, it's a picture of me playing a show with a "The World is my Ashtray" t-shirt, for people who will get the reference. ;D

EDIT 2: Here's a picture of my physical library.
user posted image

Well holy hell, don't you have an impressive collection. Does the vinyl sound better?

Cubanwhip
  • Cubanwhip

We're always holding the door open for someone.

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:27 PM

It doesn't sound better, per-say, but they do sound a little different. I love This is a Long Drive on vinyl because it has a much more lo-fi sound than the CD version. It also comes with two extra songs that aren't on the CD, even though one was later released on Interstate 8. The vinyls just have a warmer sound, which I prefer.

Jharth43
  • Jharth43

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 30 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

good news for people who like bad news, and moon and Antarctica are two of my favorite albums, by anyone.
world at large is phenomenal.

Nameless Foot Soldier
  • Nameless Foot Soldier

Libertonian

• Members

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (Jharth43 @ Friday, Aug 30 2013, 11:58)
good news for people who like bad news, and moon and Antarctica are two of my favorite albums, by anyone.
world at large is phenomenal.

Yes, I have World at Large completely memorized by heart.

S l a d e
  • S l a d e

Runorata Family

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:09 AM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=penvn9VL32Y

Modest Mouse - Dashboard (You ought to listen to a playlist of there's some time. They have amazing songs.)

• Nameless Foot Soldier likes this

Nameless Foot Soldier
  • Nameless Foot Soldier

Libertonian

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=penvn9VL32Y

Modest Mouse - Dashboard (You ought to listen to a playlist of there's some time. They have amazing songs.)

http://youtu.be/OT4lvbz9lew (Never Ending Math Equation)

Yes, please do so.

Shyabang Shyabang
  • Shyabang Shyabang

Wild Thing

• Members

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

I was too young to understand Float On when it was starting to be aired on the radio. I didn't realize that it had a dark deep meaning until I searched the mv on youtube after reading this thread.

Playing the quick The Show Goes On's guitar riff version is fun. I learned it from here:

Trinette
  • Trinette

lean on me. so you wont. stray your neck.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Unknown

Posted 16 September 2013 - 03:40 PM

I'm probably the only one whose going to hate on float on here. It's probably one of the most overrated songs in history and some of their old stuff is overlooked because of it. A lot of their greatness is in their older albums, specifically Building Nothing Out of Something.

Amazing. The uniqueness of his vocals and those instrumentals are feelsy in many different ways. This is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About is a great album too and shouldn't be passed up. :ph34r: :ph34r:

Carbine23
  • Carbine23

Work Hard & Say It's Easy

• Members

Posted 17 September 2013 - 06:39 PM

I just started listening to them recently. I always knew Float On but the majority of their songs are way different. I really love the songs 3rd Planet, The Good Times are Killing Me, Dashboard and Dramamine. 

Bigs
  • Bigs

OG

• Members

Posted 18 September 2013 - 05:29 AM

I heard they cancelled their summer tour because they wanted to focus on their upcoming album...intrigued to hear what they've got in the works.

But to be honest, MM will always be best as a three-piece; before Isaac got sober.

Nameless Foot Soldier
  • Nameless Foot Soldier

Libertonian

• Members

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:42 PM

I'm probably the only one whose going to hate on float on here. It's probably one of the most overrated songs in history and some of their old stuff is overlooked because of it. A lot of their greatness is in their older albums, specifically Building Nothing Out of Something.

Amazing. The uniqueness of his vocals and those instrumentals are feelsy in many different ways. This is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About is a great album too and shouldn't be passed up. :ph34r: :ph34r:

Yes, yes, I do truly enjoy Building nothing out of something. My top 3 favorite songs on there has to be Interstate 8, Never Ending Math Equation and Baby Blue Sedan. Interstate 8 can easily mimic how I feel right now during my current placement in life. The mundane repeat of trying but never getting anywhere whilst being haunted by those angles with their damn amber halos.

If I wasn't smart, I'd think I was the reincarnation of Isaac Brock himself.

I just started listening to them recently. I always knew Float On but the majority of their songs are way different. I really love the songs 3rd Planet, The Good Times are Killing Me, Dashboard and Dramamine. 

Oh yes, most of their songs hold a theme and message of nihilistic shenanigans of life and its somber actions of sh*t pilled upon more sh*t but yet, instead of getting mad, they explain and try to push forward while holding hard feelings towards life's many mishaps and bullsh*t.

The 3rd plant is a good one but the message and lyrics are always keeping me on my toes. I have yet to fully understand the message but I get a great deal of it.

The Good Times are Killing Me is a song about the band's run with drug abuse and how their highs are slowly killing the, but also metaphorically explaining the acts of great times in life bringing them down to more depression as they see hope just to have beat into them that there is indeed sh*t covering them.

Dashboard is about getting dealt problems in life but making the best of them as Isaac also explains some of his feelings and upsetness with metaphors of getting handed a bad set of cards but still pushing forward.

Dramamine, well... let's all have our own little understand of this far out song of self reflection west within the daze of a Dramamine high.

Alt
  • Alt

BugBear's Fan

• Members

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

Good band.

'People as Places as People' suddenly caught me.

Nameless Foot Soldier
  • Nameless Foot Soldier

Libertonian

• Members

Posted 01 November 2013 - 10:00 PM

Good band.

'People as Places as People' suddenly caught me.

Eh, I try to avoid music videos. I feel they distract from the meaning and lyrics of a song. But yeah, I think it's a good song but I myself don't find it as one of their best. But that's only my opinion, don't let that get you down.

Anywho, I just found this beauty right here, a song only played live once and I gotta say, this is probably my new favorite song by them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users