Quantcast

» «
Photo

16 Players Online - How Does Online Work?

23 replies to this topic
jamminsport16
  • jamminsport16

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:59 PM

Can someone explain to me how the 16 player online version works?

I'm used to playing Battlefield 4, where you join a server everytime you log onto the game. You choose which server you want to join (ones with friends, pick a server, or join by random).

So how exactly is GTA 5 going to work being that you will be able to own a bunch of stuff, loads of cars, house(s), stocks, etc. For example, when I first join the online game am I going to be placed in a 'server' that my character will be stuck with the same 15 other people forever? Or when I first join I can create my own server with 15 of my other friends?

For some reason I cannot envision how the servers will work with GTA 5. Can I go into other people's servers even if my property is in a different server?

I'm really really lost lol.

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Legendary

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:02 PM Edited by tom_p1980, 21 August 2013 - 05:12 PM.

Did you ever play GTA4 or Red Dead Redemption?

When you jump into the online part it will be in a random lobby with 15 other random people (unless it's a private lobby which you could set up abit like in GTA4).

From there you can jump into other game modes (DM, TDM etc) with random people or go into another random free-roam lobby. In GTA4 sometimes I found myself being put back into the same free-roam game possibly because there wasn't enough players or the other lobby's were full. So I would then just create my own open to all free-roam lobby. So I suspect it will be similar to that.

If I had a friend playing RDR or GTA4 and they were in free-roam but not the one I was in they could join me or I could join them only if there were free player slots available.

As for properties/garages etc that has been covered several times already on how people think it's gonna work. I have my own theory and it's pretty simple but it means explaining it again. lol

jamminsport16
  • jamminsport16

Rat

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

So you keep the same property but join a new server everytime you stop playing? So your online neighbors will be different every time you play the game. My friend plays GTA4 all the time, so he might be able to help me make sense of it.

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Legendary

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:15 PM Edited by tom_p1980, 21 August 2013 - 05:18 PM.

QUOTE (jamminsport16 @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 17:13)
So you keep the same property but join a new server everytime you stop playing? So your online neighbors will be different every time you play the game. My friend plays GTA4 all the time, so he might be able to help me make sense of it.

Yeah I think that sounds about right. icon14.gif

In GTA4 after playing a TDM, or Race etc you always went back to a random free-roam lobby IIRC, however Red Dead would usually put you back into the free-roam lobby you left (to play TDM DM etc) unless that free-roam was full. Which was great because I would go back to a free-roam I was enjoying.

Tonythomas180
  • Tonythomas180

Football mad

• BUSTED!

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:19 PM

This is my personal opinion.

when you select the 4th character on the selection wheel you jump into a game with randomers, from there using your phone you can set up private games with friends etc.......

As for your house, garages, cars and money. that will all be saved to your personal settings and will travel with you into every server you enter

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Legendary

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (Tonythomas180 @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 17:19)
This is my personal opinion.

when you select the 4th character on the selection wheel you jump into a game with randomers, from there using your phone you can set up private games with friends etc.......

As for your house, garages, cars and money. that will all be saved to your personal settings and will travel with you into every server you enter

Nail on the head. icon14.gif

beauedwards1991
  • beauedwards1991

Prankster

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:08 PM

I think Benzies mentioned that every aspect relating to your character is stored in the cloud. (Rockstar's servers). It is unknown how player housing will work yet, but we can expect that to be unravelled eventually.

The Dark Passenger
  • The Dark Passenger

Bay Harbor Butcher

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

I was wondering this today.

So like, this is my idea.

Say one day there's 10,000 players online at the same time. You decide to pick your GTA-O avatar from the character wheel. Boom - you get landed with 16 random players out of that 10,000. Then let's say you want to play a particular mode with particular people who are also online. Phone out, call them, and boom again - you're in a session with them now. The randomers are either still in their random free-roaming situation but with a new 16th member (because you've gone off with your friends) until they do whatever they want to do with each other or with their own mates. It's all completely seamless, too.

That's my idea of it.

mibowolf19
  • mibowolf19

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 26 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE (beauedwards1991 @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 18:08)
I think Benzies mentioned that every aspect relating to your character is stored in the cloud. (Rockstar's servers). It is unknown how player housing will work yet, but we can expect that to be unravelled eventually.

I personally think that you're property, such as house or apartment, would be instanced. What i'm saying is that when you go to your apartment, say a penthouse in a hotel, at the elevator up it would present an ingame menu that gives you the option to go to your version of this apartment or a friend's who owns this same property if they invited you to your apartment. This makes perfect sense to me. Otherwise anyone could just go into your property and take your sh*t, and then it doesnt matter who owns what because it is unique to their player
colgate.gif

iDope
  • iDope

C++ Programmer

• Members

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (tom_p1980 @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 17:02)

When you jump into the online part it will be in a random lobby with 15 other random people (unless it's a private lobby which you could set up abit like in GTA4).

From there you can jump into other game modes (DM, TDM etc) with random people or go into another random free-roam lobby. In GTA4 sometimes I found myself being put back into the same free-roam game possibly because there wasn't enough players or the other lobby's were full. So I would then just create my own open to all free-roam lobby. So I suspect it will be similar to that.

If I had a friend playing RDR or GTA4 and they were in free-roam but not the one I was in they could join me or I could join them only if there were free player slots available.

As for properties/garages etc that has been covered several times already on how people think it's gonna work. I have my own theory and it's pretty simple but it means explaining it again. lol

Not saying you're wrong or anything, but somewhere I read the Rockstar will be doing this a little different.

For example:

Say your friends are playing in a lobby and if their is free room then the system will allow you to join without have to go through all the menu's and everything.

Here's a diagram I made:
user posted image

Just my idea.

Thanks,
iDope

jamminsport16
  • jamminsport16

Rat

• Members

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (iDope @ Monday, Aug 26 2013, 20:44)

Not saying you're wrong or anything, but somewhere I read the Rockstar will be doing this a little different.

For example:

Say your friends are playing in a lobby and if their is free room then the system will allow you to join without have to go through all the menu's and everything.

Here's a diagram I made:
user posted image

Just my idea.

Thanks,
iDope

Nice, yeah that makes a lot more sense now. Still confused about the housing situation...I'm sure we'll learn more details soon.

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Legendary

• Members

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:31 PM

For example:

Here's a diagram I made:
user posted image

Just my idea.

Thanks,
iDope

TBH your idea is similar to how I described, or at least I think it sounds the same. lol

I think the difference is with your idea or I may have misinterpreted it, and I apologise if I have, is that the game would automatically put you in a lobby with your friends rather than randoms, I dont ever recall GTA4 MP or Red Dead MP ever doing that for you but its certainly a possibility.

iDope
  • iDope

C++ Programmer

• Members

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (tom_p1980 @ Monday, Aug 26 2013, 21:31)

For example:

Here's a diagram I made:
user posted image

Just my idea.

Thanks,
iDope

TBH your idea is similar to how I described, or at least I think it sounds the same. lol

I think the difference is with your idea or I may have misinterpreted it, and I apologise if I have, is that the game would automatically put you in a lobby with your friends rather than randoms, I dont ever recall GTA4 MP or Red Dead MP ever doing that for you but its certainly a possibility.

Yes, I was meaning it automatically puts you in a lobby with your friends. This is just for GTA V.

Sorry didn't mean it come by as rude,
iDope

Sticky Pads
  • Sticky Pads

Prankster

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 04:55 AM

QUOTE (tom_p1980 @ Monday, Aug 26 2013, 15:31)
...the game would automatically put you in a lobby with your friends rather than randoms

I seem to recall this being said in a R* interview. The matchmaking system tries to put you on a server with friends, preferred players, players with similar play style, and similarly ranked players. If you are high ranking, you will probably be on a server with other high ranking players. Who knows how deep the matchmaking will go.

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Legendary

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:52 AM

QUOTE (iDope @ Monday, Aug 26 2013, 23:09)

For example:

Here's a diagram I made:
user posted image

Just my idea.

Thanks,
iDope

Yes, I was meaning it automatically puts you in a lobby with your friends. This is just for GTA V.

Sorry didn't mean it come by as rude,
iDope

No you didn't come over as rude my friend. It's all good icon14.gif

tom_p1980
  • tom_p1980

Legendary

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (Sticky Pads @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 04:55)
QUOTE (tom_p1980 @ Monday, Aug 26 2013, 15:31)
...the game would automatically put you in a lobby with your friends rather than randoms

I seem to recall this being said in a R* interview. The matchmaking system tries to put you on a server with friends, preferred players, players with similar play style, and similarly ranked players. If you are high ranking, you will probably be on a server with other high ranking players. Who knows how deep the matchmaking will go.

My memory aint too good these days, old age ya see wink.gif so you guys could be right. I do recall it said that you would be put into a lobby with similarly ranked players.

I think GTA4 and RDR did put you in a similar lobby to preferred players who you had given good rep too (Xbox) and it kept you away from the ones who you had given bad rep but I think that was common for all if not most games.

Still I'd still I'd like the choice of being able to be matched up with stronger players so I can have a go at the better players. tounge2.gif

GroveVendetta
  • GroveVendetta

C.R.E.A.M.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 27 August 2013 - 12:42 PM

Pretty much like any other game, 16 Slots if they're all full your buddies can't join

Man0nf1r3
  • Man0nf1r3

Player Hater

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 27 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (mibowolf19 @ Monday, Aug 26 2013, 19:36)
QUOTE (beauedwards1991 @ Wednesday, Aug 21 2013, 18:08)

I personally think that you're property, such as house or apartment, would be instanced. What i'm saying is that when you go to your apartment, say a penthouse in a hotel, at the elevator up it would present an ingame menu that gives you the option to go to your version of this apartment or a friend's who owns this same property if they invited you to your apartment. This makes perfect sense to me. Otherwise anyone could just go into your property and take your sh*t, and then it doesnt matter who owns what because it is unique to their player
colgate.gif

This is exactly what i think it will be, if all 16 people own the same apartment you walk to the front door, when you enter the lift u will see all the owners of the property in your current surver, you select yours and you will go there or select a friends and they have to let you in, when you get into the apartment it will just be unique to how the owner has set it to be...

guygamer1
  • guygamer1

Domestic Battery Commissioner

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

I really like that idea.

Honest Bill
  • Honest Bill

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:29 PM

'm pretty sure that Benzies said, not only does it prioritise people on your friend list, but also people in your crew too.

As for properties. I agree with everyone who thinks it will be instanced. And so will your garages. Also if you have the guy hired, you'll be able to call for your vehicles to be brought to you, no matter what server you're on.

nickmajfc
  • nickmajfc

We are Home in 10 Days!

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:54 PM

After apartment/house customization was confirmed, its simple.

Say, you buy Apartment 403 in the Yankton Hotel (Made that up), now lets say, a friend of yours joins the game, who isn't in your crew, but happens to have purchased Apartment 403 in the Yankton Hotel aswell. Now, officially, you can customize your apartment, to suit your liking.

So, lets say you walk into the apartment marker, it will ask you to either enter your room, or the friends room, if you select your room, it will be customized to how you had it, if you choose your friends, it will be his customized version, to make it feel like a different room.

Easy as, best way to make it work too, glad they did it like this. It's as if there are unlimited properties.

SuperDuperGta
  • SuperDuperGta

Homie

• Members

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:37 PM

Firstly, OP said BF4 and its not even out yet teehee.

Secondly, assuming OP meant BF3, I do prefer that system it means you know you're going into a full server. One thing i'm sick of in GTA4 is reloading the matchmaking into rooms with 4 people in, I'd prefer to have the option of the server and settings I can join whilst also knowing its at a good capacity. I'd wait in a queue for a good room rather then join a sh*t one

carisstr
  • carisstr

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 01:58 AM

QUOTE (nickmajfc @ Tuesday, Aug 27 2013, 14:54)
After apartment/house customization was confirmed, its simple.

Say, you buy Apartment 403 in the Yankton Hotel (Made that up), now lets say, a friend of yours joins the game, who isn't in your crew, but happens to have purchased Apartment 403 in the Yankton Hotel aswell. Now, officially, you can customize your apartment, to suit your liking.

So, lets say you walk into the apartment marker, it will ask you to either enter your room, or the friends room, if you select your room, it will be customized to how you had it, if you choose your friends, it will be his customized version, to make it feel like a different room.

Easy as, best way to make it work too, glad they did it like this. It's as if there are unlimited properties.

Is that confirmed?

Thank you! I have been wondering this since the trailer came out

Sticky Pads
  • Sticky Pads

Prankster

• Members

Posted 28 August 2013 - 03:40 AM

What nickmajfc said. That is exactly how I envision it. Can't think of any other way it could be.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users